Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
So game talk, I'm playing SMTIV, and I am aweful at it, I guess. I need to find Navarre and the hooded figures along the way are destroying me. I seem to do alright in the battle, and then they just lance crit my party dead in a turn. What am I supposed to be doing to counter that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

Kaubocks posted:

It's been a while since I played through the intro dungeon of SMT4 but the general idea behind that game is abuse enemy weaknesses as much as possible. You get extra turns for hitting enemies with their weakness with a chance of that character getting a huge temporary hit/evasion/damage buff. The best strategy I've found is to strike first and make sure your enemies never live to see their first turn.

This does not work on bosses, especially when things are going good, they're at like one round from death and then they crit you, gaining additional attacks, killing a party member every crit.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
The hardest part about the system transfer was having to do it an hour before work, forgetting my NNID password, then having my recently downloaded anti-virus decide yahoo mail was not a "safe site" and blocking my access to it. None of that had anything to do with the actual process though.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

techknight posted:

Got my first 3DS on Friday. I'm loving Link Between Worlds (and oddly the StreetPass plaza games). But Super Mario 3D Land has crashed on me a few times now:

Is it just a buggy game? Or am I pressing some Close Software key combo without realizing?

This happens to me a lot too, I kind of hope they make a case that fixes the power button sticking out.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

IRSmurf posted:

Xenoblade:

gently caress me that is amazing.

For those of you wanting to get into Monster Hunter: Social Dissonance is pretty good at doing MH related things, and explains the game pretty well. He did a Tri LP and it helped me to stop sucking at it so bad. I don't know if he still posts here on SA or not.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Holy poo poo we are truly living in the future :pcgaming:

I refuse to believe that until I see a "Posted from my n3dsxl" under a post.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
Man, I picked up a a really lovely Nu Gundam model kit some like 7 to 10 years ago, and it came with a screwdriver. Fit the N3DS screws perfectly.

It's so great when your hobbies interconnect in a fun way.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
Monster Hunter is great, like I have 300+ hours in MH3U on the 3DS alone. But do yourself a favor and look up some weapon tutorials once you find a weapon you like. There are some tricks that can take a weapon from good to basically unstoppable. Like the Lance and Shield seem slow as hell and tankish when you first pick them up, but once you learn when to "move cancel" and how to dodge with them, it becomes a really high damage quick weapon with incredible defense. I have killed more monsters faster with that then the technically higher damage Long Sword.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

BigRed0427 posted:

Ok, I REALLY love the New 3DS. I now totally get why you guys prefer the XL models over the standard.

I have gotten around to playing the first few missions of Monster Hunter 4 and I don't think I'm gonna stick with it. This feels like one of these games where it takes hours to get to the cool poo poo :(

The Great Jaggi is like 3 missions in, after that it's pretty much all cool poo poo

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

Haruharuharuko posted:

Edit: Oh and if you want a laugh be at a Walmart at 10 pm just to witness the loving cheer they make employees do at the meeting loving goddamnit that poo poo is so dumb.

What's the policy on open stuff at Wal-mart? Found something I kind of want there that is an open box and has clearly been returned. Like how low can we go?

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
gently caress you guys that recommended FFT: Curtain Call. I want to play Monster Hunter but FFT:CC is so fun.

And I went from OG 3DS to the N3DSXL, if you want to know the screen size, the OG3DS closed is the same size as the top screen, the whole thing is the size of just the top screen.

Also this is the best new theme. In related news, I have discovered there is no hipster smiley

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
About FFT:CC: are there any Chrono Cross songs? Also, is the opening to FF8 included as an EMS?

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Liberi Fatali the FF8 opening is DLC, I'm pretty sure it's actually Battle music. This means you can play it online if someone else bought it though.

No Chrono Cross yet but we've gotten some really weird loving choices of game music so I wouldn't be surprised if it's coming... they've added like 3 Nier songs with more to come. There's a bunch of Chrono Trigger DLC now.

I saw the DLC for it, just was hoping for a movie. Same with the Chrono Cross opening.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
Dear Ya'all

Go eat unhealthy, or go to a store with no games.

Your welcome.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
Target and Toys R Us will also Price Match for sure. Best Buy might as well.

Also if you want to get SMT4, just wait until it's $15 on the Eshop. It shouldn't be too long from now.

Ugh, how did I get a back log of games, freaking SMT4, MH4, FFT:CC, KI:U, Pokemon AS, a friend's Zelda:ALBW, the last 1/3rd of BD (ugh), Yumi's Odd Odyssey, Zelda Seasons & Ages, and then the last half of both Weapon shop de Omasse and Crimson Shroud. dammit.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

Sodium Chloride posted:

And then you drop your 3DS and the right hinge gets hosed up.

:cry:

Left hinge for me. My OG 3DS is held together by superglue and a rubber band (sorta, the hinge still stays together, but without the glue the top screen just can't hold itself up.)

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

Red Robin Hood posted:

Did your girlfriend help you glue it?

Sure. Let's go with that. Me and her just staring into each others eyes while we hold the 3DS in our hands, applying pressure, but for longer then 30 seconds, as I made sure not to buy the fast drying one.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

homeless snail posted:

I need them, for seeing.

Grow some rockin' eyebrows.

It's what I did, and I have no problems with the 3D while wearing glasses.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

Sire Oblivion posted:

I still don't believe that's real and someone's having a laugh. No one's that stupid.

Keep telling yourself that

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
So can you call up nintendo and get them to give you surveys for past eshop purchases, I would get some insane coinage if I could.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

Haruharuharuko posted:

Yes just say you were "out of town" or had other extenuating circumstances.

they would have been previous to signing up for club nintendo.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

Two of the three images you posted are of low power 3DSes, wierd.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
Not to ruin the fun, but Turtle, look up a thing called Simple Green. It might work, just don't soak your system in it.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

Oh look, another Senran Kagura player outs themself. (it's the Eagle face). Welcome to the fold brother, the gross, gross fold.

I was 600ish players short of that drat Mega Lucario in Shuffle. 10,000 points was just not enough. :negative:

Also how worried should I be that my friends are trying to stop me from playing Monster Hunter, so I can play Fantasy Life with them?

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
Just called Nintendo and you can register Downloaded games that you got before you signed up to Club Nintendo but only 5 of them. So if you're going to call, pick out the 5 you want first, just to save time/maximize your points.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

Housh posted:

Sell me on Xenoblade 3D! I don't really play that much RPGs let alone JRPGs. The last RPG I really got into was Dragon Quest 8 on the PS2. Is this game going to be awesome or what? I obviously never played the Wii version but remember people talking about it when it came out.

Is it going to be accessible to JRPG noobs?

It's very accessible. If you've ever played FF12 or the .hack series, it's like that, but not crap.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
So are Dillion's rolling western games any good? I have 550 points, and at 200 for Link's Awakening, I would have enough for either one (but would get stuck with extra points). What 200 and 150 point games are fun? I could always get Metroid as I never beat it, but meh.

I really wish nintendo would have put up a few cheap point dump items, like 1 coin = 10 cents of cash on the Eshop or something.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
kinda leaning toward the Ultimate NES remix, does that have the original games on it, or just weird mash-ups?

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
So Ultimate NES Remix does not have the full versions of the nes games it remixes?

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

Nettle Soup posted:

Went ahead and got one for the 3D tracking, but also because I'm fed up of hitting the volume switch by accident.

Now I get to save it for my birthday. :v:

then you can get fed up with hitting the power button.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
On playing Pokemon Rumble World:

Good:
-Seems like a lot of content so far
-Magic leaf = god mode, seriously, it's broken.
-You can earn Diamonds in game for doing things
-it's decent fun, in the wander around press buttons and watch things die type of games
-Diamonds seem cheap.

Bad:
-To go to new zones you need to ride hot air balloons to them. This is where the horseshit starts. Hot air Balloons cost diamonds to unlock
- When you get to a zone you roulette wheel where you go, which dictates the type of Pokemon you see.
-Once you have finished the zone, the hot air balloon you have just ridden goes on cooldown. This can be upwards of 50 minutes (lowest looks like 20 minutes) You can pay to reset the cooldown.
-If you die you must either quit, or pay 2 diamonds to keep going. There are no "lives," either don't die or pay out if you die.
-There are some horseshit deaths and status effects. One is an immobilization, which usually puts the enemies in range to attack, but not you. The sweat condition causes you to pause before attacking.
-Co-op looks to be a "once for free," then you have to pay to play with them. Not sure if you pay real money or just in-game money, either way, seems dumb.
-Lots of reskinned zones.
-You are limited in the amount of Pokemon you can have one you at once (30 at the start) and have to pay for more (2 diamonds for 30 extra).
-There's no real way to test a move, so if you enter a zone and the move you haven't tested sucks, you need to run to a corner and hope you have enough time to switch to something with a move that works.
-Switching still takes 3 seconds and is interruptible, which can lead to horseshit deaths.
-Zones are to short to really let you put enough room between you and the enemies, especially at the start, so most switch out will be "hot."

It's not terrible, but it feels like a money grab. You can really tell where someone went, "No, do this, so they'll have to pay us."

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
If it got a decent Dark Souls on the 3DS I'd have "Tongue but hole" engraved on the top of the system.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
And you want to get there fast, as that is where your dedicated healer is.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

strap on revenge posted:

you're not donig a great job of convincing me to keep playing

Assuming it's the same as the Wii, give it until you're past the Guar Plains, that's when a lot of the "Oh, poo poo" plot stuff starts to happen. I remember being kind of put off by the Plains.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

greatn posted:

Pants update 2015. I'm down to a size 34 now and only one pair of pants comfortably fits a 3ds XL now. But this isn't unique to the XL. My drat cell phone hardly fits in there, unless I get "loose fit" dad jeans that look horrible. I laughed at you when I was size 44. Now I know the pain of being normal sized and owning a Nintendo product. If I get down to my goal of 30 then I'm basically resigned to not carry anything in my pockets ever again.

(I'm size 34/34 and Medium at roughly 190 pounds, so will that probably be around 30/34 and Small near 160 pounds?)

Get a purse system bag.

(I have this thing in Red, it's nice, hold 9 games including the one in the system, didn't have to glue poo poo to my 3DS either)

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

AbsolutZeroGI posted:

Based on recommendations, I went and picked up Etrian Odyssey Unborn. It's my first Etrian Odyssey game and so far it's pretty decent.

This may be an unpopular opinion, but the story seems to help the game along a bit. At least for a noob like me. I dunno if I'd be able to get into a game like this without something to look forward to. Feels like having a point makes it fun...for me at least.

Any who, thanks for the recommendation. I will dump many hours of my life into this.

Now if only I could get into Radiant Historia this hard.

In EO4 there is a story, but a lot of it it "hey, go here," then you grind for an hour to get there, then it says "hey, go here," again, rinse and repeat. Throw in a few boss fights along the way and that's the game.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Here's an extended trailer for Stella Glow, the imageepoch SRPG being published by Sega/Atlus:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5iUd_jR3yM

Is that a Tactics RPG? That's kind of neat.

Though holy crap, that one girl can not sing, also boob jiggle on SD sprites will always be creepy.

epitasis posted:

the tax return doesn't go to turbotax, turbotax just gives you the option of signing it over to them and in exchange they add 20% of it to whatever giftcard

Was Eshop one of the things? You know someone would.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

SatansBestBuddy posted:

I'm more surprised people don't look up anything about the game before buying it. Like, are the opinions of a bunch of goons really enough to lead you to buying a game sight unseen? Wouldn't you at least look up how the combat works or how the game plays?

There so much media for basically every major game release right now that it's not hard to find a gameplay demo or two to help you decide if it's worth spending $40 or not.

Blindly listening to goons got me KI:U, Mario 3D land, Phoenix Wright Trilogy and a couple of other games I don't feel like getting up to go look up the names for. So far it's had a decent track record.

Also for you Xenoblade guys. Once you beat the game, you can new game +, which lets you keep your levels and the elite kill stat point things, but resets quests and the like. Which means you can blast through the missed quests then at a much higher level. It's nice for if you start getting bored of the quests and just want to experience the main story. Also any elite you kill in new game + awards you the stat point, even if you already killed it in reg new game.

(anyone else see KI:U and instantly think Killer Instinct instead of Kid Icarus?)

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
Of 3D classics Twinbee, Super Mario land 1 or 2, Metroid II, Kid Icarus M&M or Radar Mission, what are the pros and cons of each?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

Cake Attack posted:

finally, the 3ds library is starting to catch up with the vita's

It's hard to be a perv game on a dying console.

Also, that SNEn3dS is almost out of power like the last few pics of random 3dses. There's a conspiracy in the works here.