Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!
Thanks for making a new thread but can I suggest maybe adding a bit more depth to the OP with regards to how to actually use a screwdriver?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!

jabro posted:

For me the improvements to the 3D and speakers plus the addition of the nub thingie is worth the $30 but each their own. It's your money to spend how you see fit.

In discussions about video games I've learned to just assume everyone is so broke they're practically homeless. We could be talking a difference of close to six months of panhandling or allowance payments before being able to afford the difference between a new and old 3DS XL.

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!
So is there a happy ending or a sad ending for all those people who had preordered from Best Buy but hadn't had their units shipped being told both "oh UPS hasn't picked them up yet" and "oh that's on backorder?" Now that it's Monday, which did it turn out to be?

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!
Well that's good news, and yeah no one was saying that they were getting shipments from Best Buy purgatory. :iiam:

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!
I don't know how I feel about Project S.T.E.A.M., on one hand I love Fire Emblem and it looks like a steampunky version of XCOM I guess but god drat that trailer is so stupid.

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!

Detective No. 27 posted:

Can anyone tell me what song they used in that trailer?

Stars and Stripes forever... You better not be from the US OF A :argh:

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!
What's loving fascinating about this system transfer stuff is we're presumably a community filled with people who know how to do things like read and use a computer. I can't imagine some know-nothing parent being able to deal with this poo poo.

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!
Thanks internet, for making me feel like a unique snowflake for not sweating profusely 24/7 while doing any activity even one as physically inactive as playing a 3DS.

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!

Red Robin Hood posted:

What's wrong with the c stick nipple? I kind of like it. Works just fine for me... been playing MH4.

Doesn't work while wet, apparently.

edit: Or wait does it work better while wet, I can't keep this thread straight anymore.

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!
Can someone give me some as spoiler-free help as possible for Majora's Mask? (I have no idea how I didn't play this when it was first released.) So I've got the Bomber's Notebook and have filled it up with people who I've met and it shows a timeline for each of them, but how do I get the game to populate those timelines with events I can do? Presumably, for each person in your Bomber's Notebook you will have subsequent mini-quests to do for them at a specific time on a specific day... But how do you figure that out? I just finished the swamp temple and the game is telling me to head to the mountain temple but I feel like I'm missing a ton of stuff not exploring interacting with the NPCs in the world throughout the three days. (Like I don't have Epona, only have one bottle, etc.)

I'm trying to avoid just following a GameFAQs guide for this as it's pretty refreshing playing a Zelda game with no idea what's happening but I feel like I'm spinning my wheels in the mud looking for extra stuff which maybe I just don't have access to yet?

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!

epsilon posted:

Suck a dick you dumb human being. I've done the same thing for goons looking for action figures. It's an act of kindness. But people on the spectrum generally don't understand empathy or altruism, do they?

Is the going rate for sucking a dick also an extremely generous $5?

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!
Is Pokemon Shuffle Nintendo's first foray into free to play stuff? I know they've had a few games with microtransactions but as far as the whole you get X lives and they recharge in Y minutes thing like Candy Crush, this is the first one right?

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!
Looks like Pokemon Shuffle is only out in Japan and Europe? The most specific release date I can find for North America is "February 2015?" Are Americans also getting the game today, or does the eShop just not update until later in the day for us?

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!
Hey while you guys are searching Wal-Marts and Targets for his New 3DS I've got a small grocery list I wouldn't mind someone picking up. I'd be willing to cover shipping plus... MMmmm, I'm feeling generous today, how about $6?

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!

GENDERWEIRD GREEDO posted:

I'll do it for $3 and I bet the other guy isn't even going to suck your dick

I'll do it for $2, suck your dick, AND provide a souvenir photo.

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!

corn in the bible posted:

I'm really glad they let you take screenshots in that game. I don't have any idea why the hell you can't in some stuff, it seems like a basic thing that people like to do in videogames but i guess im not The Pokemon Company

Is there a system-wide way to take screenshots (Like the iPhone home+power) or is being able to take screenshots a feature that's unique to certain games? I'm willing to suck no more than three dicks and pay a maximum of the balance of my PayPal account ($0.87) for the answer to this question.

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!

Fuzz posted:

Does the 3DS really need a screen protector? I mean, you never touch the top screen and it folds over, so...

Should I invest in one? Will it interfere with the sensitivity of the bottom touch screen?

It depends where you land on the spectrum. Do you see your 3DS as a portable toy that plays games which entertain you while pooping or do you see it as a priceless heirloom which must be preserved for future generations as close to its original out of the box condition as possible?

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!

jabro posted:

Whoa whoa whoa, no one mentioned we would get jerky for driving all over town looking for a 3DS. Sign me up.

Wait so is it jerky and $5, or $5 with the alternative choice of a piece of jerky valued at or above $5?

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!
Hmm, so I hit the first stopping point of running out of lives and having to wait in Pokemon Shuffle. It's a cool game, I guess, but it very much feels like someone at Nintendo was like "Hey we need one of those free to play matching games too." Adding Pokemon doesn't make it feel any more unique or compelling than any of the other endless supply of free to play matching games out there already.

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!

Skeezy posted:

Nintendo could easily go into the app stores with games like these but they never will. I have no idea.

They are a publicly traded company and eventually their investors will get fed up with them continuing to ignore mobile platforms. It's weird. I understand them not wanting to bring original first party poo poo to mobile, as admittedly the need for a 3DS is greatly diminished if we lived in some insane universe where Majora's Mask was on the App Store... But what I don't understand is why they're not farting out their virtual console stuff. Remember, some dude released a totally non-functional scam app labeled Pokemon Yellow. It hit #2, and was filled with iTunes reviews of people who were buying it knowing it didn't work just with the hope that it'd one day get updated.

That's a thing that actually happened.

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!

raditts posted:

These are the same people who made a millionaire out of the guy who made the Babbys First App known as Flappy Bird, mobile phone gamers are literally retarded people.

True, but with Candy Crush raking in $1.3b last year in IAP alone, my point was more that they're leaving a stupid amount of money on the table.

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!

lelandjs posted:

Oh god I just wasted $5 of money I had leftover on my eShop balance catching Mew in Pokemon Shuffle what the gently caress is wrong with me

[Fake edit: It's okay I just put my 3DS down and walked away

...but I'll be back in 17 minutes when my hearts are done recharging]

If you're looking to make another $5, I know a guy. You'll have to front ~$230ish first though.

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!
It's exactly like Candy Crush and the other King games which recharge one live every half hour to a maximum of five.

edit: You can also trick most mobile games by disconnecting from the internet, setting your clock ahead, and reloading the game. There's a good chance that works here too.

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!
So here's what sucks about Pokemon Shuffle- It's all the worst parts of an energy system combined with all the worst parts of a free to play life system. It's a real weird design decision the way they did this, and is ultra-counterproductive to monetization- At least if you're listening to what people say monetizes well on iOS. The easiest thing to compare this to is Candy Crush. When you download Candy Crush, you've got your initial five lives and the first dozen or so levels are ridiculously easy to the point that it'd be hard to fail any of them. You've already played a ton of the game for free before you start failing, and that is when it tells you to come back later... As you'll hit level 15 or something, not be able to complete the level five times, and then it tells you to come back or pester your friends for lives.

In Pokemon Shuffle, your lives are burnt regardless of whether or not you complete a level. It makes for an ultra-harsh first launch experience because you're hitting artificial stopping points before you hit difficulty stopping points. I'm still in the early levels where it's so easy I'm not sure it's possible to not beat levels, but I'm still being forced to wait as the hearts serve the dual purpose of both lives and energy. If this was a mobile game, some monetization expert and whoever you've got in charge of optimizing your user acquisition would have forced this change during soft launch.

But, hey, Pokemon. People will put up with it.

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Can anyone confirm/deny that the pokemon candy crush game gives gold?

I've gotten gold rewards during the tutorial portion.

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!

Champeenship posted:

A Nu3DS Xenoblade plate is getting released alongside the game in Japan.

gently caress this planet.

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!
I wonder if people having issues with the super stable 3D and glasses have fancy coatings on their lenses that's loving up the infrared LED that's illuminating your ugly face for the New 3DS to see it.

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!

Bread Set Jettison posted:

I have glasses and zero issues

Same, wonder if it's something way crazier that's going on like this- http://gizmodo.com/5431190/hp-face-tracking-webcams-dont-recognize-black-people

...As the glasses Flyboi posted all look pretty normal. Strange.

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!

noirstronaut posted:

I wear normal glasses and have light brown skin, so what is life

Does your N3DSXL acknowledge you as a person?

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!

majormonotone posted:

Nintendo confirmed that the N3DS shortages in the United States are due to the West Coast port strikes (which are also affecting shipments of amiibo). Software is unaffected as it can be flown to the US more easily than hardware.

Maybe someone with some experience in how freight shipping works can answer this, but the west coast of the United States is filled with ports. A drive up the PCH (and whatever it's called north of California) has you driving through tons of different towns which seem to exist solely because of the massive sea ports. If you have a boat filled with cargo, you're making money by shipping cargo not sitting around. Is there something logical that's preventing all these ships from being like "Well gently caress it, Seattle port is screwed over because of strikes, let's just go to whatever the next port north or south is."? Are these cargo unions that vast that the entirety of the western seaboard is hosed? I just don't get it. The fuel costs of diverting your load have to be less than the loss of sitting around for weeks waiting to unload and reload.

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!
This looks pretty nice, but I tend to prefer ultra-minimal stuff- http://www.sfbags.com/collections/nintendo-3ds-cases/products/nintendo-suede-jacket#product-tabs2

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!

The Duck of Death posted:

I have this. It's awesome but a little short compared to the one in the picture. I think they may have sent me one cut for the old XL. Not a big deal, though.

Does it actually feel like leather or is it that super cheapy "suede" material they make those janky screen wipe cloths out of?

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!
Welp gently caress it, $17 down the drain. I could've had people scout three 3DS's for that and had some leftover for jerky. :mad:

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!

Fuzz posted:

Do you not own a phone? I mean, clearly you have the internet, so that could have helped.

I actually live in squalor and am using the library computer right now.

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!

Flint_Paper posted:

My New 3DS should arrive tomorrow (god help me) and I am PUMPED.

I've found a guy selling (UK) Link Between Worlds codes on eBay for ~£20 - is there any chance that these aren't legit/have beeen acquired through dishonest means? He seems to have been trading for a while and his feedback is largely positive. Just a little worried that he's Up To No Good somehow.

I wouldn't buy it because unless something has changed, most of the eBay and PayPal anti-fraud stuff revolves around shipping, tracking numbers, and stuff like that. In reading about people who have been burnt buying digital codes, you get in this weird state of limbo where they did technically ship you the code, it just wasn't valid. So the seller can be like, "I don't know what happened, I shipped it, here's the tracking number," and you're kind of boned. Maybe I'm just jaded from over a decade of dealing with weird bullshit trying to save money here and there online, but is saving a couple bucks worth the potential hassle of losing ~£20 and needing to get into the PayPal dispute pissing match?

I mean it's probably fine, but, whatever.

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!

Nolgthorn posted:

On the other hand maybe that's why totally legit codes go so cheap. :keke:

I mean, maybe. They're definitely few and far between though. I've been ripped off close to 50% of the time buying super-cheap keys on the PC software swap subreddit. :shrug:

When I say "ripped off" I mean getting a dodgy key that works for a while then gets revoked, getting MSDN bulk keys which similarly end up getting revoked, keys that have been claimed, or other weird poo poo that happens in the pursuit of $2 Windows keys.

io_burn fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Feb 23, 2015

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!

eddiewalker posted:

I'm stranded at DFW all day so I'm just riding the Skylink train in circles.

I can't keep up with all these streetpasses long enough to play a real game!

This is what it's like being at E3, by the time you go in to clear your existing street passes you've hit the limit on ten new ones.

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!
Animal Crossing? Fantasy Life?

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!

The rear end Stooge posted:

The new browser makes me really wish SA still employed anyone who knew how to code so we could maybe get a mobile stylesheet ever.

Is it still in fashion to make jokes about Titan?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!
I wonder if it would help this thread if we had a system transfer, SD card, and unscrewing guide written in simple English?