Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!
Anyone else noticing sudden brightness drops? I've been playing 3D Land and occasionally the brightness will take a big dip, and then it seems like it slowly creeps back to normal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

Thanks, I don't remember ever having something like that on the XL so I didn't even think to look for it.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

Martytoof posted:

If I want to start playing the Zelda games, is there some order I should do it in, or are they all pretty much self contained?

I answered you in the Wii U thread:

quote:

If I had to recommend an order to play the games in, I'd go LoZ -> LTTP -> Link's Awakening -> Link Between Worlds -> OoT -> Majora's Mask -> Wind Waker Then play the rest (or don't) in whatever order you want.

LTTP -> Link's Awakening -> Link Between Worlds are all very directly connected

OoT -> Majora's Mask is the same Link

Wind Waker after playing the others, because it's hard to appreciate the game fully if you aren't already familiar with the world and characters from at least OoT and the more Zelda you've played the better.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

Waltzing Along posted:

I'd stay away from 1 and 2 unless you are a masochist. Just watch a LP and call it a day. They do not hold up at all and 2 was a bad game when it was released.

I disagree about 1. It's not a very long game or hard to find and absolutely everybody should play it at least once. It's one of the most influential and important games ever made, and even though LTTP is a better game in general there are still things that LoZ does better.

edit: I find it constantly astounding that some people recommend never playing any old games. Imagine if people who considered themselves film buffs told people not to bother watching anything older than the late 1990's :shrug:

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

noirstronaut posted:

Is 2 a bad game or just weird? It's the one with the sidescrolling mechanic, right? I never see it being talked about.

Also, I'm a bit surprised that LoZ 1 was never remade for the GBA using 16-bit graphics or something.

2 is weird and difficult. I don't think it's fair to call it a bad game, but it's not essential like LoZ or LTTP and it's not a game for everyone.

Cless Alvein posted:

2 is different beast in general. It is pretty drat hard and the mechanics have not aged very well compared to other games of the time. It is still a good game, but one you're probably better off watching someone else play rather than attempting it yourself.

I wouldn't recommend it to just anyone, but I don't see any reason not to try a game yourself and make your own decision about it. It's one thing if it's like some completely irredeemable and forgettable piece of poo poo, but Zelda 2 is certainly not that.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

irlZaphod posted:

They're not recommending to never play old games. The original LoZ isn't really as good as what come later, though, and very specifically a lot of the games since the 16-bit era have followed a fairly specific formula.

If The Legend of Zelda isn't worth playing, what NES or earlier era game is?

I'm not saying it's the best game in the series, but it was a big milestone in gaming and if you're interested in the medium it's worth at least trying it out for the historical value if nothing else.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

Bombadilillo posted:

Those 3 games were all good and all better then SotN.

God drat, you love bad gaming opinions don't you?

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

SOTN is insanely easy, that's true. But just like Super Metroid, that's the only flaw it really has.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

Dawn of Sorrow is pretty good, but it's a direct sequel to Aria which is just a better game. Portrait and Ecclesia both suffer from really bad level design, which I think is a pretty big flaw for these types of games.

Ecclesia I think would have been better as a Megamanvania, which is a word I just made up. It's already got distinct stages, really cool new abilities that are taken from your enemies, and excellent boss fights. It would be nice if they had just dumped the exploration and the big castle at the end, because they did a pretty poor job with those elements anyway.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

SeANMcBAY posted:

The inverted castle is another big flaw. Super Metroid holds up way better imo.

I've got mixed feelings on the inverted castle. The game kind of falls apart when you reach it and you blow through it way too fast so the sense of progression is pretty bad compared to the first castle. It feels hastily thrown together and a bit empty as well. But, when you start seeing how the areas were designed to work both right-side up and upside-down it's pretty cool. The game really opens up at that point and you can go basically anywhere you want right from the beginning. Also, I already felt like the first castle was a decent length for a first playthrough, comparable to a first playthrough of Super Metroid, so it really felt like a big bonus to get another castle. Also, Lost Painting.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

yes

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

The first NES remix is pretty disappointing, though I just started the second one last night and it seems pretty good.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

Tatsuta Age posted:

I played Portrait of Ruin and liked it, do people generally like or dislike that one?

It's easily the worst of the new style Castlevanias in my opinion, but it's still pretty good. The formula is so drat good that they can't make a bad game out of it.

Dawn of Sorrow is probably my favorite of the DS games, Order of Ecclesia is the most beloved by goons in general though. I replay every single GBA and DS Castlevania pretty often because they're all fun as gently caress.

Adam Bowen fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Apr 24, 2015

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

There's a Castlevania thread btw

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3563234

It's mostly discussion of the DS games.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

Monkey Fracas posted:

I feel like DoS is more inclined towards exploration while OoE leans more towards cool action fighting with things divided into smaller chunks of levels.

They're both good, but that crab can go gently caress himself

Yeah, I think that's a good way to sum it up. OoE with a real castle instead of being 50% crappy copy-pasted stages would easily be the best game in the series I think, but I'm personally more interested in exploration so I prefer DoS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

Help Im Alive posted:

One of the cool things about those games is that they used real people for the art

I'm gonna travel to all of the worst hotels in the United States until I find the real Kyle Hyde