Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

DaveKap posted:

Ah, new thread, which means a new place to post a request that if anyone out there has a Majora's Mask 3DS they want to offload, I'll happily buy it off you. Scalpers got me down and the price is only going up right now. I'm patient but gosh I wonder when the curve's gonna dip back down. Why does being an MM fan have to suck so much. :(

A month or two, it'll probably be down to about $250. Don't expect any lower than that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Bleusilences posted:

I think monster hunter 4 use some of the improvement to have better texture, shadows and a more stable frame rate.

Monster Hunter 4 does look really good for a 3DS game on the New 3DS, and it often runs at a pretty high framerate. I dunno if it's 60 FPS like some people say, though. I feel like those people have never played a PC game at 60+ FPS. I'd say at least 45 FPS at all times. 3D still chokes it up on occasion, though, even on a New 3DS.

There was a lot of hubbub about the monsters having a higher polygon count on the New 3DS, but you really don't even notice it in motion, if it's true.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Vegastar posted:

Is it broken as in broken lcd, or just doesn't work right?

If the second, take off your screen protector of you have one, and also try loosening the screws underneath the back plate a turn or two.

Apparently Nintendo also recommends gently pressing the screen in where it meets the body and using a toothbrush to clean out any sort of manufacturing residue.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Obligatory Toast posted:

Hahaha oh man does that blow.

I mean, this does really suck, but not entirely surprising because fuuuuuuuck Best Buy.

Idk Best Buy is OK in my book. I mean sure, they canceled my Majora's Mask N3DS preorder, but this lead to me getting Monster Hunter 4U and Majora's Mask for $24 total. They even delivered on release day.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Kilometers Davis posted:

I'm a little afraid to post in the Monster Hunter thread so I just wanted to say thank you 3DS thread for guiding me to just go ahead and play 4U on my regular XL. It's an amazing game. I'm terrible at it but I can't help but smile when I'm in that wonderful land of giant monsters and cute kitties.

You should really check out a beginner's guide to the series. There's more stuff to learn than what could be reasonably posted in a thread post, but that's not to say it's overwhelming or anything. You just need a good introduction to the various menus and shop/vendor options, the controls (4U does good showing you the ropes here,) and most importantly, how to properly prepare for whatever type of quest you're about to set out on.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Help Im Alive posted:

Can someone tell me what this thing is and why we don't get it

Motherfucker I want this to come out in the US yesterday.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Anora posted:

So game talk, I'm playing SMTIV, and I am aweful at it, I guess. I need to find Navarre and the hooded figures along the way are destroying me. I seem to do alright in the battle, and then they just lance crit my party dead in a turn. What am I supposed to be doing to counter that?

SMTIV just starts out really hard because you don't have a party full of demons. They hosed this up. You just have to make it out of that first short dungeon, and you'll be fine. Just make sure you recruit whichever demons you meet until you've got a full party.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

DisposableHero posted:

Anyone else get their shipping notice from best buy Friday (and order status says shipped) but the tracking number just shows "order processed ready for ups" still after a couple days? I wasn't expecting it Monday or whatever but it's odd to me that the tracking hasn't updated at all.

UPS doesn't do stuff on the weekends, and Monday is President's Day, so hang out until Tuesday.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Swagger Dagger posted:

I like the MM limited edition but not enough to pay what anyone wants for it at this point.

Wait a couple of months, it'll be down to about $250 when 80% of the scalper inventory repeatedly fails to sell at the current trending price.

I just did a search on recently sold listings to back up my claim and gave up, as the data isn't really indicative of whether or not they're actually selling for hundreds of dollars over retail. What's potentially hilarious, though, is that many of the completed listings were won by brand new eBay accounts with 0 feedback. I can only hope it's a bunch of butthurt people sabotaging auctions. It'd suck if they were legitimate buyers, though, registering an account on eBay for the sole purpose of settling for a grossly overpriced 3DS because they couldn't get one in a store. Just put a loving decal on the drat thing and save yourself a car payment.

Kaubocks posted:

I put about 80-90 hours into Hyrule Warriors so far. Bought the DLC. Haven't even finished the basic adventure map yet. :buddy:

It's great until about halfway into the Twilight map, when it turns into total bullshit. The Majora map pretty much made me quit the game, which sucks, because Young Link is a blast to play.

enojy fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Feb 16, 2015

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Martytoof posted:

How big are 3DS games on average? If I have a 32GB MicroSD card, should last me a while, assuming I have zero interest in actually owning physical carts?

Average, probably around 500 - 600MB. A handful of games break the 1GB mark, but not many. As long as you don't buy like every 3DS game there is that's made available digitally, 32GB should be plenty.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

tlarn posted:

I get the worst controls whiplash switching between Majora's Mask and Monster Hunter. :negative:

I played about an hour of Majora's Mask and decided I'm not even touching it again until I'm "done" with Monster Hunter, which will likely be many months from now.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

That's nice, thanks. My old 3DS picked up a ton of fine scratches from being in my bag.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

glassyalabolas posted:

motherfucking beaver race is pissing me off. I'm peeved the camera doesn't follow you when you're swimming. Also why the hell does Link turn like a goddamn tank underwater.

New Nintendo 3DS Chat: motherfucking beaver race is pissing me off. DO A SYSTEM TRANSFER!!!!

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

I just realized that it's very likely Nintendo went with "New" 3DS because of the confusion caused by naming the successor to the Wii the Wii U. We need a name that says, this is NOT just an accessory for the 3DS! It's an all new vers-- got it! Good job, Nintendo.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Wow. I was pricematching 3DS XLs on Craigslist to see how much to try and sell mine for, and found this guy selling a Pokemon X 3DS XL with 5 games for $90. No idea what the fifth game is (Pokemon X?), but the four pictured are Pokemon Y, Bravely Default, Kingdom Hearts Dream Drop Distance, and... Ocarina of Time 3D. Should I e-mail him and tell him he could get way more if he sold OoT3D on its own, or offer him $80 for the bundle?

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

I'd consider paying $80 for a Pokemon X 3DS XL and at least one copy of Jeff Gordon Racing just to check it out and see how lovely it is.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

precision posted:

He's in Orlando, it's almost certainly stolen goods. Or a very, very, very stupid person.

RE: Etrian Odyssey 4: Yeah I played it like 3 and had a separate party (well, just two members switched out) for farming because it didn't even occur to me to try it any other way. :shobon:

It was a pull. They emailed me back right away saying they already met up with someone and sold it (3 hours after listing, really?) But they were happy to let me know I could get a cheap 3DS on beezid with a referral link!

noirstronaut posted:

The ad is fake.

Haha yeah I got that exact copypasta email.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

irlZaphod posted:

Guys guys guys, I'm on the tram on my way to work and the guy next to me is playing 3DS.

It's an OG model though, not a New.

There was a guy in my major who would end up in the same classes as me who would play his 3DS in class. He was tubby and greasy and played Pokemon I think. Streetpassing him felt dangerous, like is he gonna recognize my mii.........?

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

The PS3 port and the PS4 console in general are poo poo trash garbage for idiots. Get it on the 3DS if you want 3D effects that own or PC if you want any enhancements.

So are you gonna get Bloodborne or not? Be honest.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Bombadilillo posted:

So I've had my new 3ds for a week and I have to say I am really impressed.

New features on technology are often gimmicks or useful but forgettable. I write this from a note 4 phone that I never remember has a stylus that does some pretty cool things. That said face tracking is the single greatest bit of technology I never new I always wanted. It works SO good. I never thought that they should put it in a 3ds (perfect sense in hindsight) when I read about it I didn't believe it would actually work. But drat if it doesn't work amazingly. I always loved the 3d and it is worth the upgrade price for that alone to me.

Still forget the nub exists even playing MM that supports it. Gonna switch to MH4 soon so that might change.

If you are on the upgrade fence I suggest going to a Best Buy or whatever you have local and putting your hands on with the face tracking. The immersion of 3d works a lot better when it's not breaking all the time.

Or watch it and if it takes over a 2 hours switch which one is on the charger. How rude of Nintendo to offer a not slow option if you happen to have the hardware lying around.

Watch it, like I said.

You're being a bit of a Negative Nancy if you pardon my french.

I'm a little let down by the face tracking. Just a little. In games with a lot of small details (like MH4) I'll still get ghosting if I'm not holding the screen out like 14 inches or more. It's way better than before, and a small gripe, but enough for me to be like fuuuuuck why is this still a thing?

In Majora's Mask 3D (only other game I've played on N3DS so far) it doesn't happen at all.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Fuzz posted:

I bought Smash, MH4, and Link Between Worlds all off the eShop and none of them gave me coins. I have a whopping like, 8 coins because I only play at home.

Those are different coins; "play coins." Log in at Club Nintendo to see if you have any product registration surveys that can be filled out to redeem "bought about 700 dollars worth of games to get a desk calendar made of paperboard coins."

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Fuzz posted:

Oh god I caved in and bought a decal for my 3DS:

https://www.decalgirl.com/skins/255983/Nintendo-New-3DS-XL-Skin-Black-Woodgrain

Needed that matte finish, because gently caress glossy holy poo poo.

Does anyone own one of these decalgirl decals, and know if it's mandatory for them to wrap around to the inside? Or, is that a separate decal that you don't have to apply? I'm kind of interested in getting one to change the texture of the outer shell. This thing gets way nasty really quick, and it's not like I was digging poop out of my rear end right before playing it or anything (LOL!!).

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Etrips posted:

If you look at the brighter colored skins, they are not connected. So I would believe that they are multiple piece stickers.

Thanks. I ordered a sticker for my little kid video game (Game Boy) with my big boy credit card. Here's a link to the cool Triforce/Zelda one based off of N3DS faceplate #55, since it was sort of a bitch to find via google. Use coupon code CABINFEVER until Feb. 27th to get 20% off.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Drowning Rabbit posted:

I was curious how it turns out before I jump in, you'll have to take pictures. While $2 off would be nice, I can wait and spend the extra cash if it looks awesome, or be happy that I saved $20 if it doesn't turn out as pictured. Here's hoping it's awesome.

I'll do that. I'm not a fan of the parts that cover the hinge area on the front and back, so I'll be trimming those out. Also skipping the interior decal.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Handsome Ralph posted:

So is Majora's Mask hard to find right now or something?

I looked online to see if my local Best Buy had it's showing that no stores have it in stock. You can't even enter your zip code, it's just showing in-store purchase/pickup isn't available.

It's out of print because Nintendo.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Housh posted:

I have 400 pts that I need to use. Everyone tells me to get the case but I have a 32gb card in my system and hope to keep everything digital. I was looking at Kid Icarus 3D. Any recommendations?

I have been playing the Monster Hunter and Codename Steam demos and I had zero interest in the games before I tried them. I'm blown away how fun they are. There are way too many games on this system. Even Face Raiders is amazing.

Haha, what the hell is Face Raiders, anyway? Is it a game? I'm pretty sure I've never launched it.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Fuzz posted:

Another Question:

How do people like Mario Kart 7? Does anyone still play it online and such?

Mario Kart 7 is awesome, online is generally awesome, but if you have a Wii U, Mario Kart 8 is way more awesome. Radical, even. If you don't have a Wii U, Mario Kart 7 is still awesome.

Dunno what the online component is like these days, though. Doesn't matter too much, though. If you're into racing games and/or Mario Kart's drift-happy gameplay, you can get dozens of hours of fun out of the single player stuff. It's a good buy at ~$30.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Housh posted:

Ew. Was trying the tomodachi life demo and experienced my first crash. Booted me to a sleep mode screen and I lost all the saved data from the demo. I would be pissed if a full game crashed like this.

Does it happen often?

I don't think I've ever had my 3DS crash. I did try the Tomodachi Life demo for about an hour, and it didn't crash. I wouldn't expect it to happen often, if ever again, unless maybe it has to do with your SD card.

Bonobos posted:

Also any recommendations as far as cases for this? I had my eye on the sfbags offerings but they seem pricy.

Hah, just noticed they have what appears to be a flash card in one of their promo images.

enojy fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Feb 28, 2015

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Haruharuharuko posted:

Edit: Oh and if you want a laugh be at a Walmart at 10 pm just to witness the loving cheer they make employees do at the meeting loving goddamnit that poo poo is so dumb.

I remember that. One of my first jobs was overnight stock at Walmart. I lasted like two weeks. That was like 10+ years ago; I'm amazed they still do that. I was dumbfounded the first time.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

flyboi posted:

Queue raging about LE art orientation.... now

I like the dock.. Not as nice as the one that laid flat but it's better than fishing out the drat cable all the time.

At least the alignment is proper on yours. I saw a picture of one where the graphic was clearly at least a centimeter off to one side. Talk about something you'd never be able to un-see.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Waltzing Along posted:

I'll just post this here because it is as good as anywhere:

Is Nintendo pronounced Neentendo in Japan? I ask because Ni is Nee and there is no i sound like tin.

This has been causing me great consternation. Have we been saying it wrong all along?

Ni in Japanese is always pronounced the same way, and that is Nee, or how the Knights Who Say "Ni" pronounce it. If spoken at an ordinary pace, you probably wouldn't notice the difference. Phoenetically, everyone else says "Nentendou."

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Selling my physical copy of Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate to go digital. If you want a physical copy and are having a hard time finding it, help me out!

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Haruharuharuko posted:

New Nintendo 3DS Chat: Just glue some plastic poo poo to it

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate: Just throw poo poo at it

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Someone wanted pictures of a Decalgirl skin on a New 3DS, so here you go.

I generally botched this. My plan was to trim the decals so they did not cover any part of the hinge (the matte plastic parts, basically.) Thankfully, the backside decal is already cut in this fashion. I was too lazy to stop at a hobby store on my way home from school and buy a balsa wood razor, so I tried using a regular double-sided razor refill from my bathroom.

Yeah these things are beyond paper thin (the razor, not the decal,) bend really easily, and I basically hosed it up a little bit by carving a very unstraight line across the top. It's nearly invisible in the picture, but in person, on a scale from 1 to 10 (where 1 is "completely unnoticeable" and 10 is "glued case cutouts onto the top of my N3DS to store game cartridges") it's about a 4. It just looks like a light scratch, thankfully. I use awesome razor blades and cut myself in the process, suffering for fashion as it were.

The back I hosed up a lil just by removing it halfway on and reapplying it, which the instructions tell you pretty much not to do, since it may stretch the decal. I stretched it a little bit, but the only place where it's noticeable is along the bottom -- who cares.

However it now feels way better in the hand compared to that awful glossy slick poo poo Nintendo made the N3DS shell out of. However, instead of being a fingerprint (and grime) magnet, it's now a skin oil magnet (I got the matte finish.) You can already see the oil on the backside decal, from where I picked the drat thing up one time and brought it into my room to take this picture.

The overall quality of the decal itself is great, but the print could be a smidge better. Of course, this could be the fault of the guy who created this skin, but if you look really closely (in person,) the Hylian crest is ever so slightly blurry.

It's also not a 1:1 copy of the real faceplate. The creator cleverly (or forcibly) made the "text" below the emblem wider than it is on the faceplate in using a custom Hylian font in Photoshop, but literally no one will notice this ever.

enojy fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Mar 5, 2015

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

I get 10 a day but I also go to a school with around 60,000 students.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Oh, a cool use of all that extra Decalgirl material (I didn't use the second skin that's included to cover the inside plastic) -- trace a dime, cut out inside the line, and apply to your circle pad for the lightest of grip. Of course it's really difficult/impossible to get it cleanly on there so it ends up looking like a bottle cap, but the adhesive sticks well to the main dimpled area. Plus, you're kind of protecting the circle pad from hundreds of hours of your thumb grinding sweat, oil, and dead skin cells into it.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Thanks, ordered one. Although, I am a little perplexed how this tangible product is getting to me for $2.17 shipped. I mean, I guess they could mail it in a standard envelope with a couple of stamps and still turn some sort of minuscule profit.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Throne of Bhalz posted:

I did enjoy Persona 3 and 4, but if the underlying gameplay isn't there, I'll give it a pass. Is the story at least good? I'd probably enjoy it if writing was solid.

The story is somewhere between OK and good. It really picks up in the last quarter or so. The writing is quite similar to Persona 3 and 4, except many characters' personalities are really piled on too thick -- Teddie takes his few sexual innuendo moments from Persona 4 and turns into a giant pervert for the entire game, Kanji is frequently called out (and calling himself out) for being in the closet or effeminate or whatever he's supposed to be, Chie cares way more about meat and way less about kung fu, Mitsuru is tsundere as a motherfucker like never before, and literally everybody (even Ken) picks on Junpei for being an idiot, to the point where he basically sounds like he's going to kill himself unless you bring him in your party. It's almost as if the writers were like, OK, there may be people playing this who haven't played Persona 3 and/or 4, so let's really flesh these characters out way too much.

I liked the gameplay, but didn't like the constant in-out-in-out with the stylus. This will probably be exponentially more frustrating on a New 3DS, where taking the stylus out and putting it back in is way more involved than it needs to be. I think by a certain point, I just started bracing the stylus between two free fingers while playing -- you use it a LOT. Get one of the Etrian Odyssey 4 demos and see if you can get into the style, because Persona Q plays just like it. However, if you like the Persona series, you'll probably like it no matter what. I put about 80 hours into Persona Q (without even doing a lot of the side quests) and it had me hooked to the end, which I rarely get out of a game.

enojy fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Mar 6, 2015

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Red Robin Hood posted:

Oh god why do I want one?!

Because instead of having to reach for a cable, rotate your 3DS XL around to see what you're doing, and plug in the cable every single day (or multiple times a day) you can just dump it in this here cradle and have a few years worth of that convenience for about $15. Also because it's probably going to be sold out by the end of the day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

I got a shipping confirmation for the N3DS XL cradle from Nintendo's store today. Check your orders.

I kinda expected it to get canceled; I had a feeling they got swamped with orders, much like the way the old 3DS XL cradles sold out from Club Nintendo in under an hour. That, and it's a Nintendo product in 2015, the year of Buy Up All The Nintendos.