Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DisposableHero
Feb 25, 2005
bah weep granna weep ninny bong
Anyone else get their shipping notice from best buy Friday (and order status says shipped) but the tracking number just shows "order processed ready for ups" still after a couple days? I wasn't expecting it Monday or whatever but it's odd to me that the tracking hasn't updated at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DisposableHero
Feb 25, 2005
Yeah, I've played several hours of STEAM now and I don't get the complaining about the waits. It's maybe less entertaining than things like XCOM where you have an aerial view and spend that waiting time plotting your next move but I don't find myself bothered by the few seconds you spend waiting on the enemy turns.

DisposableHero
Feb 25, 2005

Turtlicious posted:

So uhhh... Anyone know some good decal girl skins?

e: I'm an idiot, please help me hide my shame.

I can't help but look at this example and wonder what the other things in your life look like. Do you have a gas can tethered to the top of your car? DVD cases glued to your blu-ray player?

DisposableHero
Feb 25, 2005
So for folks playing STEAM have you seen the turn limits in game anywhere that you need to hit to get the bonus gold at the end of stage? I've apparently missed every one as I wander about getting coins and cogs.

DisposableHero
Feb 25, 2005
The game really punishes over extension both for players and the aliens. Lion can be used really effectively to get into good positions but you can't use him to leap way out with any real effect. More like getting into high spots close to your main group or just making it way easier to get to those cog pickups.

DisposableHero
Feb 25, 2005
drat, STEAM gets weirder all the time. As unspoilery as possible: I just had the final team mate revealed and while I guessed they might show up they still managed to surprise me. I haven't tried the next mission yet though so maybe it's not as crazy as it seems.

DisposableHero
Feb 25, 2005

along the way posted:

How is this game, by the way? Love me some Valkyria Chronicles and XCOM. Thinking of picking this one up.

I like it quite a bit. I enjoy the 3rd person shooter take on turn based strategy and I feel like there is a pretty decent selection of kit to choose from for you team. Not as deep as XCOM though and I didn't play VC so I can't make a comparison there. I think the music and style of the game are great but I could see the art style not working for some people.

I think the enemy wait time complaints are overblown but they're definitely a bit longer than similar games. The enemy does feel like it cheats as you get taught overwatch mechanics and then it appears that some enemies can have unlimited (or very high amounts) of overwatch to work with. But it's always the same enemies doing that and it's possible to work around with some strategy and the right tools.

I'd definitely recommend it if you enjoy this style of game.

DisposableHero
Feb 25, 2005
So my wife very recently updated to a New 3DS as her old one started having issues with the top screen and it was out of warrantee.

She's not to into the available colors but I was thinking the Decalgirl skins would be a pretty good option on top of a black 3DS. Can anyone comment on the decal girl skins in terms of quality and resilience?

DisposableHero
Feb 25, 2005

noirstronaut posted:

It even sits in the back of a case next to a copy of 999, another game I have never played

Sorry, I'm not interested in pictures of games in cases that aren't glued to other things.

DisposableHero
Feb 25, 2005
999 was interesting but I ran out of steam before I played through all the endings. I still keep that preorder watch thing they sent me with it on the shelf though. Looks neat.

Edit: Then again I can apparently sell that for $150 on e-bay...

DisposableHero
Feb 25, 2005

mutata posted:

boobaloid

Yeah. This makes sense. Vocaloid. Boobaloid. Coming up next Assaloids and Dongaloids

DisposableHero
Feb 25, 2005

codenameFANGIO posted:

ur a dongoloid

You're goddamn right.

DisposableHero
Feb 25, 2005
Looking forward to some Yokai Watch impressions here. The little bit of the combat I saw made it seem pretty trivial and uninteresting. But Pokemon doesn't seem terribly deep at first glance so it's hard to tell.

DisposableHero
Feb 25, 2005

flyboi posted:

I got past the first boss and here's a somewhat brief overview of the game:

So your watch has 6 slots for Yokai. In battle 3 are active, 3 are passive. There are 8 "tribes" of Yokai which are basically base classes. Eerie, Slippery, Brave, Mysterious, Shady, Heartful, Charm and Tough. To translate into real-world types:

Eerie = Inspiring
Slippery = High evasion
Brave = Attack
Mysterious = Techniques
Shady = Status infliction/HP absorption
Heartful = Healer
Charm = Agility
Tough = Defense

Then with this there's the various elements fire, water, lightning, earth, ice, wind and drain.

So in the battles there's 5 different attacks a Yokai can do that you don't have control over:

Attack = Default attack skill the specific Yokai has
Guard = Guard
Technique = Magic attack the specific Yokai has
Inspirit = Status up on team or status down on the other team
Loaf = Do absolutely nothing like a lazy sack of poo poo

With this each Yokai has a mood of sorts and depending on the mood will be which of the 5 attacks it chooses automatically.

On top of that there's Soultimate moves which you have control over. These take time to charge up and can be done once per Yokai until recharged. There's a minigame and you have to complete them to launch the attack. They vary from a single high power hit to healing your party, removing debuffs, whatever.

There's also items you can use and a targeting feature you can use. This will allow you to tell your Yokai to attack a specific tribe which they might be more adept to better inflict damage on. There's also little balls that fly on screen you can target which give you back soul power/hp power.

Along with this you can link Yokai of the same tribe on the watch so if they are in the front line together their attacks are buffed by a multiplier depending on how many are linked. Say as a fake example you had 3 brave Yokai on the line and do a soultimate attack. Since you're linking you then get a 3x multiplier on the attack. I don't know the exact buff but it's part of the whole deal.

Last there's inspiring as I mentioned before which is buffing/debuffing enemies and characters. If a Yokai is inspired you have to purify them by moving them to the back line and then doing a short touch screen mini-game.

With it all added together once you get to actual battles it seems pretty in-depth and hectic at times. Sometimes I wish I could use the control pad for everything because the stylus feels annoying but I'm enjoying it enough.

Story-wise so far at least it seems to take place in the kid's hometown and is an episodic format where it's like "oh hey something's up <BEGIN EPISODE SOMETHING IS UP>" and so then you are given objectives to do around town to solve the super mystery. Once that's done the episode is completed, you save and another one begins. The town plays much like how the towns do in Mega Man Battle Network.

Hope this helps.

Posts like this are a big help. Thanks all.

Is there much decision as far as individual Yokai leveling up type stuff or is it pretty much all in the team building part?

DisposableHero
Feb 25, 2005
I mean as long as you're paying because you are going to use it in a theme and not to just complete sets I don't see anything wrong with it. Assuming you are payin' bills etc. Responsible spending doesn't actually imply you never spend money on stuff like this. It's kinda the modern day equivalent of the quarter machines in front of stores.

Me, I tend to pick things that are going to be good to put on a folder. The folder system is great but getting a single character displayed on it is not great. Now I have a pixel gameboy on my gameboy game folder, mewtwo on my pokemon folder, Dr. Mario on my puzzle games folder etc.

DisposableHero
Feb 25, 2005
Yeah, I have a few that nothing really works for. Hoping something eventually shows up. I really hope we get more pixel art consoles.

DisposableHero
Feb 25, 2005

codenameFANGIO posted:

Are ... are you me?! :stare: My Mario spinoff folder is entitled "Luigi Time!" with smb1 small Luigi but the Mewtwo and pixel Game Boy are uncanny

It is kind of annoying that the multipart badges exist because my Donkey Kong folder has the angriest half of an arcade Donkey Kong on it. The display on top shows the whole badge but come on man. No one wants half a badge on anything, don't screw with me.

Yes :| The moon needs to be a folder icon but since it's multi part there's no chance of that. Too many of the cooler one are multipart. The Olimar badge I have is just barely 2 parts. Most of Olimar and then a sliver of helmet with antenna for the second piece. SOOO close. I use it anyway

DisposableHero
Feb 25, 2005

Uh, this clearly says "Medarot"

DisposableHero
Feb 25, 2005

BottledBodhisvata posted:

I am really enjoying Yo-Kai Watch but I cannot for the life of me find the sewer entrances I need to unlock my Rank A watch. I feel like I"ve searched every back alley and gotten nada.

I just wen through this as well and was pretty lost. The sewer system is circular with spokes going out in several directions. By memory two of thethe rank A ones are in the west and east.

Really though? Just use this https://www.reddit.com/r/yokaiwatch/comments/3s753c/yokai_watch_maps/

It has clear markers and illustrations. I'd understand trying to avoid guides but this part is pretty tedious if you don't know what to look for or didn't know to unlock all the one way gates as you visited the waterway earlier in the game.

DisposableHero
Feb 25, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

The characters in Yokai watch are literally based off yokai which are basically mythological Japanese ghosts and monsters. A lot of them are likely a lot more sensible when you realize they have some mythological basis.

A LOT of them are but all? Even rear end face? Anthropomorphic mochi?

DisposableHero
Feb 25, 2005
Welp.

DisposableHero
Feb 25, 2005

katkillad2 posted:

That's pretty interesting actually, which mythological monster is stoned panda based on?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Black

DisposableHero
Feb 25, 2005

Rexroom posted:

I know this is supposed to lessen my interest, but this is getting more and more intriguing after every post. I'll have to check that demo.

I was like this. Then I played, died unexpectedly and lost a couple hours of play because you can only save in town and there is zero check pointing. Then I tried again being more careful but even so it's super frustrating to lose. I really can't get into any game that forces me to lose so much time retrying something.

DisposableHero
Feb 25, 2005

Rexroom posted:

Errr, I'm playing the demo and there's a quicksave that allows me to save anywhere in the map. (X+R) Did you read the manual?

It's been a while so I might be misremembering but aren't those just saves that let you turn off your system and resume from that point but don't persist beyond that?

Edit: Haha. Well poo poo. That's what I get for reading an article and not the manual. The article I read back then said there was no saving outside town but has since been corrected. I should have just looked more closely.

DisposableHero fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Feb 5, 2016

DisposableHero
Feb 25, 2005
So I'm travelling in Europe but forgot to pick up an appropriate charger for my 3DS. I'm in London next. I was thinking a couple of folks in this thread lived there. Can anyone recommend a place to pick one up? I have a long flight in a few days that will be extra painfull if I can't find something.

DisposableHero
Feb 25, 2005

Davincie posted:

if you brought your original charger can't you just buy an adapter?

As a few others said the adapters are purely adapters and do not include a voltage regulator. The 3ds is an odd man out as modern portable electronics go as most include a voltage regulator in the device themselves or the common (USB) chargers we all have. I was hoping to get a usb one which would solve my issues and still be useful back in the US. If I'd remembered I would have picked one up ahead of time. Thanks for the replies folks. I may pass near a Game at some point.

DisposableHero
Feb 25, 2005
Isn't the whole price discussion kind of moot anyway? They wouldn't charge that much if they weren't able to make adequate money charging that amount. Just like any other company. The best sort of complaining a consumer can do is not purchase things they think they are being charged too much for. Right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DisposableHero
Feb 25, 2005

Buca di Bepis posted:

Seems pretty widely reported around the internet

So is crazy