Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

The N3DS stores the microSD under the back battery plate, which is held in by screws, tiny Philips #0 screws, which you need a special small screwdriver to unscrew. You also need to practice unscrewing these screws well ahead of time, as well as finding a screw removing dojo with a philips sensei who can teach you how to do this. The OG 3DS takes Philips #00 screws and is basically expert mode.

JIS#1 (Japanese Industrial Standards) also fits the screws perfectly on the New if you have a toolset with a poo poo ton of bits like the iFixit one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Ciaphas posted:

Do screen protectors like the Hori brand ones reduce glare at all? I'm sort of wondering if that might be contributing to the headache thing I've mentioned.

Not particularly no. You're looking for ones with matte finishes.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

If you put the new micro SD card (it must be the same capacity as the one in your old 3DS) into the New 3DS XL, and then run the system transfer, it formats it as far as I can tell from this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y88G3tp_f88

Put this in the OP thanks

SDXC won't be detected in the system. It has to be reformatted on the PC to FAT32.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

It can't save more than 32 GB so why would you get a card bigger than 32 GB??

Ask the people who use them. I'm on 32GB myself.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Wamdoodle posted:

Anybody grabbing or has grabbed a shell for the NEW 3DS? I'm paranoid about my luxury electronics :shobon:

Using a Hori Duraflexi at the moment, it's made out of TPU like for phones. I had to import it as it won't be available until March in NA. It's OK though I with the shoulder button areas were cut out a bit more.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Adam Bowen posted:

Thanks, I don't remember ever having something like that on the XL so I didn't even think to look for it.

Hip-Hoptimus Rhyme posted:

I don't think it was, I only found it by fiddling around on the home screen. I definitely noticed the screen being darker than I remembered.

It's a new feature for the New 3DS XL.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

tlarn posted:

Is it weird that the main reason I wanted a New 3DS XL was because I discovered the scaling on DS games isn't quite right on the regular 3DS, leading to some blurriness, and it scales correctly on the XL's larger resolution screens?

Uh no? It's still blurry. You still need to hold down Start or Select to run DS games in 1:1 native which is crisp but doesn't use the entire screens.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Heran Bago posted:

How is the face tracking? I've read mixed things.

It's overall fine. It's just a few people that wear glasses that seem to hit snags though I wear glasses myself it seems to work fine for me. Maybe it's a prescription thing.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Talking out my rear end here, but maybe thick rims are enough to throw off the tracking by creating a second object for it to track. On the face-tracking note, I wonder if it's possible for games to make use of it. It'd be neat to have it actually rotate the image properly instead of merely re-angle it.

Possible, though my frames aren't exactly thick, they aren't exactly thin either. In the super-stable 3d setup, it seems to get tripped up if I cover my eyes. Lenses could potentially do that if it's a strong prescription. All guessing though.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

BisterdDave posted:

I really thought it would've been sooner than next year.

There will be toys in 2016 for sure with the Hasbro deal. Everything else (anime, video games, etc) are not set in stone just yet. Supposed to get more info later in the year. But 2016 is the strong candidate.

http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20150213005068/en/Yo-Kai-Watch-Franchise-Expand-Markets-Multiple-Platforms#.VOEb8fnF98E

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

eddiewalker posted:

Has anyone gotten the N3DS wireless microsd management to work on a Mac?

Finder>"Connect to Server" then entering "smb://3ds" brings up a user/pass prompt, but I can't get it to do anything but show a "no permission" error.

Even though it may not work, have you tried <network name of 3DS>\username for user? (e.g., 3DS-1234\eightbit)

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Fuzz posted:

Is MH4U available digitally? If so, I'll return this hard copy I got because gently caress having to carry a cartridge around all the time when I can just have it with me all the time. I already have a 64 gig MicroSD with my (soon to be acquired) New 3DS' name on it.

Yes, it was available online day one.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

noirstronaut posted:

The c-stick itself doesn't move, really. I mean, it does an incredibly small amount, but it doesn't move the way a normal control stick would.

He's referring to his C-Stick not moving the way it should according to the calibration screen: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3700920&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=8#post441611771

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Popehoist posted:

I'm specifically talking about the way it looks on the calibration screen. For reference:

Here's a reference for my C-Stick, it would appear yours is not working correctly for sure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMjthktiV4k

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Popehoist posted:

Thanks, that makes me more confident mine is hosed and I'll make sure their customer service guys don't try to gently caress me around. The downside is, I'm probably gonna have to send it back for repairs or worse, replacement. Will Ninty handle the system transfer stuff by themselves if they have to replace my poo poo or do I need to phone them?

If the solution requires a total replacement they should be able to transfer your stuff over to the new system. You can double check with the rep on the phone.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

If I don't like SMT4 because it's hard and I am bad at it, should I bother looking at the other titles or should I just accept the games aren't for me?

I have about 20 hours in the game and I've restarted twice because I get to Tokyo and quit each time.

Maybe considering that SMTIV is the most accessible mainline SMT game outside of the terrible map.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

noirstronaut posted:

Hey, for the sake of some spergs like me who have trouble deciding between physical and digital:

I plan on buying three games tomorrow; Alpha Sapphire, Majora's Mask, and Smash 3DS. Out of these three, which make the most sense to buy digitally? Part of me thinks none since they're all good games that will increase in value, but another part is telling me it'll be rear end switching between three new game cartridges.

AS and Smash you might want digital considering the local MP aspect of it and it's easier to just pop into the installed game rather than swapping out carts. Majora's Mask you want physical in my opinion if the current prices of OoT3D are any indication.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

I haven't yet turned off 3D on Majora's Mask on the New...

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

spasticColon posted:

I don't know if this has been asked but does the 3D on the new 3DSXL still have the ghosting issues for those who wear glasses? If I do use the 3D on my XL I get ghost images unless I take my glasses off so I just usually play with the 3D turned off.

Ghosting is not from wearing glasses. It's from bright images contrasting on dark backgrounds. It's a known thing.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

togetic posted:

Really? Thanks for the info. My original system was from late 2011, but I made purchases on it up until 2013. Would accessing the e-shop generate an NNID, or is that something I would've had to do manually?

If not, it still sucks, but I feel better knowing that it's a technical problem and not Nintendo giving me the runaround.

You had to have done it on your 3DS. If one was never made on that system, you're sorta boned.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Calaveron posted:

So I saw that system transfer video and it made sense and all that but I just want to make sure: I have the MH4 system with the game preinstalled and way too many games on my old system to fit into the tiny 4GB microSD card. In order to transfer everything and not lose monhun, what would I need to do?

Probably the limited transfer and re-download what you need plus MH4.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

SeANMcBAY posted:

Are N3DSXL cradles being sold in NA?

Not that I know of and the Nintendo Store doesn't have it.

https://store.nintendo.com/ng3/browse/category.jsp?categoryId=cat550076&flyOutName=New+Nintendo+3DS+XL

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Anora posted:

This happens to me a lot too, I kind of hope they make a case that fixes the power button sticking out.

The Hori Duraflexi cover I'm using now makes it very recessed.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Haruharuharuko posted:

The long story is the hinge on the DS lite was garbage and amazon had to cover a bunch of replacement units and Nintendo told them to gently caress themselves so amazon had to cover all the costs instead of normal manufacturer replacement.

This was actually when the 3DS's first came out. The DS Lite sold very well for a long time until then. Not too long after the 3DS was on sale it went "under review" for a brief time and that was it, they were removed from being sold from Amazon directly.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

mycot posted:

Wait...does that mean the Animal Crossing DLC is actually about Isabelle killing monsters? Or is there a difference between the fighting kitties and whichever one the DLC replaces.

The cat is wearing an armor/skin that makes it look like Isabelle with that DLC.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

corn in the bible posted:

isabelle will murder a giant dinosaur with your assistance

Like this pretty much:

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

io_burn posted:

Can someone give me some as spoiler-free help as possible for Majora's Mask? (I have no idea how I didn't play this when it was first released.) So I've got the Bomber's Notebook and have filled it up with people who I've met and it shows a timeline for each of them, but how do I get the game to populate those timelines with events I can do? Presumably, for each person in your Bomber's Notebook you will have subsequent mini-quests to do for them at a specific time on a specific day... But how do you figure that out? I just finished the swamp temple and the game is telling me to head to the mountain temple but I feel like I'm missing a ton of stuff not exploring interacting with the NPCs in the world throughout the three days. (Like I don't have Epona, only have one bottle, etc.)

I'm trying to avoid just following a GameFAQs guide for this as it's pretty refreshing playing a Zelda game with no idea what's happening but I feel like I'm spinning my wheels in the mud looking for extra stuff which maybe I just don't have access to yet?

Talk to the Bombers on each new cycle. If they make the animation of running up to you without your transformation masks on, they have rumors to give you to find more sidequests.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Louisgod posted:

Good call though my co-worker has one so problem solved I guess. It may seem like I'm a massive retard when it comes to this but I've done this transfer 3 times now.

No big deal, the wireless PC transfer is new this go around so not many people know of it.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

raditts posted:

Did anything ever come of the Cubic Ninja homebrew exploit? I've heard exactly nothing about it since it came out and there was a huge run on Cubic Ninja carts.

Nintendo patched the exploit and removed the digital version from the eShop.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Wildtortilla posted:

If you bought it from a big chain store try exchanging it there. If not you'll have to go trough Nintendo to get it repaired. Start by checking their website, it'll have that steps required to initiate the repair. It shouldn't cost you anything but you'll e without your console for a week or two.

Trying to exchange a highly sought after LE system may prove to be difficult though at a store though. Nintendo is maybe the best bet but no guarantees because of it being a hot item.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Calaveron posted:

I thought new 3DS XLs were supposed to come with a new vertical dock. Guess not. Do they sell those already somewhere? They look neat and I want one.

At the moment you'll have to import or buy it from eBay. They're not out in NA yet, not even the online Nintendo store has it.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

People with glasses that are having issues with the Super Stable 3D, try this:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=994007

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

noirstronaut posted:

Is there some weird giant repository of every 3DS theme?

It's pretty much all on YouTube so they can show off how they look and sound.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Waltzing Along posted:

Another confused system transferrer piping in.

I've watched the video and am confused why I would remove SD cards and use the computer after they were already transferring data.

Also, I have a 32 gig card that I used in my old phone. I want to use that. Can I just plop it in to start or do I have to use the card that is in there first?

No, do the transfer first. Say Yes to the type of SD card you're using, let it transfer then take it out and move the data on the SD card to the 32GB microSD card and put it in the New system. Done.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Louisgod posted:

The normal SD card to micro, the wording and numerous options are throwing people off and they're worried about potentially losing data. I get it.

Question: doing transfer now, I copied the original card's data to my laptop. I chose the "low capacity transfer" or whatever to save time but is it still as easy as c/p the old data to the micro SD card, sticking it in and calling it a day? Want to make sure I don't accidentally overwrite anything.

You should have done the "PC Transfer" if you were going to do that route. The Limited Transfer and PC Transfer take about the same amount of time to transfer data, it's just how your downloaded games get to your system that changes. On the Limited Transfer you'd have to redownload the games and the PC Transfer is just copying from one SD card to the other, in this case the Micro. I don't know how it'll react to original data.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Louisgod posted:

Oh well, I can redownload things if needed, just don't want to lose save data. The pc transfer sounded like it'd connect to my laptop and move data that way. That said, I'm following the video to a t.

Save data is A-OK with the Limited Transfer.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Jadaris posted:

What's all this nonsense about Wii Mini exploit and being able to generate infinite Coins?

Someone figured out the serial number scheme of the Wii Mini's and used the resulting serial numbers to cash in Club Nintendo coins. From what I heard accounts that abused it were already banned.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Fuzz posted:

When did the DS NOT have SNES style buttons? I seem to recall the DS Lite had the same SNES layout, too...

He's talking about the Super Famicom colored buttons. Something that NA did not get on their SNES's.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Fuzz posted:

Why the hell does everyone keep making a huge deal out of that, anyway? OH MY GOD THE BUTTONS HAVE DIFFERENT COLORS. :what:

I'd have cared if the Y and X were concave whilst the A and B were convex. That'd be pretty nice. Even still, the North American SNES controller looked better in my opinion, anyway.

Some of us like colors. :colbert:

The SNES controller looks plain in comparison to the SFC controller.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

cp91886 posted:

This is my first 3ds. Is the 3d really that improved from previous models? Because I'm playing through 3d land and it's loving incredible. If so I'm glad I waited to jump in. Also I'm playing through OoT for the first time and it looks great, and I can confirm that in 2015 it's still a certified Good Game.

It's improved in the sense that you don't lose the effect if you move your head or the system. It doesn't improve on the quality. And yes, Super Mario 3D Land is amazing.