Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I tried the MH4 demo and it was fun but as predicted even with 3D off, I got a headache after half an hour that took some 20 minutes to go away. Way back when with the original Gameboy I had a screen magnifier attachment, I don't suppose they do those anymore for the 3DSXL do they?

long shot, I know :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Do screen protectors like the Hori brand ones reduce glare at all? I'm sort of wondering if that might be contributing to the headache thing I've mentioned.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Not particularly no. You're looking for ones with matte finishes.

So there are anti-glare protectors, just not the Hori brand? Thanks, I'll have a look at the gamestop down the street I suppose.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Good news, everyone! :farnsworth:

Remembered I had an old pair of glasses with anti-glare coating, so I tried those instead for my 3DS. It worked, an hour of the MH4 demo and EO4 and no headaches. I'm free to play excellent games :woop:

Now the question is, do I want a New 3DS so I have proper camera controls for MH4. Probably not gonna get much for the XL at gamestop am I.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

noirstronaut posted:

New Nintendo 3DS Chat: Yes, you want the New 3DS

Oh sure I know I'm beating a dead horse :v:. It's just that unless the New 3DS (New 3DSxl? is there even a smaller New?) has better wireless hardware in it or something (B/G only? seriously nintendo) the only improvement that matters to me over my ye olde 3dsxl is the extra circle pad, since 3D is meaningless to me.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Yes, it downloads much faster, and it actually has good speakers built in instead of the tinny ones on the original XL.

Welp. My wallet is sure to be filled with regret tomorrow, but I personally won't be!

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Technogeek posted:

I think the trade-in deal still runs through the weekend, so an XL will be worth $100 if you put it towards a New 3DS.

Neat. Apparently New 3DSXLs are sold out across the city, though. Doggone it Nintendo.

Oh well, L-targeting seemed to work OK in the MH4U demo anyway, so I won't shed too many tears yet.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

DoctorWhat posted:

i'm so glad you can hun mons in comfort

You and me both, I loved MH3U to bits. Still wish MH4U was on a bigger screen out here, but I can't win them all, I suppose.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

After playing MH4U for most of a day now I am really sad that I can't find a new 3dsxl anywhere in town, I need that camera control like yesterday :(

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Just use the circle pad pro in the meantime. You should have already bought one for the previous monster hunter.

Nope, I had MH3U on the Wii U. (Still wish this one was on the Wii U, too.)

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I've given up on getting a N3DS this century, and instead ordered a circle pad pro for my OG XL. Should be getting here tomorrow.

Question, on the CPP the right stick is actually another circle pad, but what is it on the N3DSXL? It looks like one of those mouse clit nub thingies you get on IBM ThinkPads, is that the case?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I found a new 3DS today and picked it up. Question about the system transfer: I only have the one charger (NINTENDOOO :argh:); if my old 3DSXL was on a full charge and I have the new one plugged in, will the system transfer finish before the old 3ds runs out of juice? I have to go back to work in a few minutes so I can't be here to swap cables.

(ed)

Awesome! posted:

noirstronaut is scared of kut-ku which is why he doesnt like monster hunter this is canon
To be fair a firebreathing chicken is kind of frightening, it's true

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Cool, thanks. I opted to do the second option (transfer licenses only I guess?) because I have no idea how big the card in my 3dsxl is and forgot until I'd already started that I could check easily :downs:

As I wrote this post it's gotten to about 60% though so yeah it'll be done before I even have to go back :)

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

noirstronaut posted:

Well, you'll need to transfer the stuff over and you'll need a MicroSD reader, an SD card reader, and then a #0 screw to open your new XL to get the MicroSD out.

I was led to understand that after the System Transfer was done I'd get the option to redownload my games, and my saves would be waiting and ready. :confused:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Also worth mentioning that Monster Hunter, in addition to guns and lances, has a lance that is also a gun. This makes it a Good Game all on its own!

(ed)

I'll take that up at some point, thanks. Transferring data between microSD cards just takes a reader, a PC and time, right, no fancy shenanigans on the N3DS?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Wait did people really have trouble with those screws/the backplate? That was... it was just two screws. What? :psyduck:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Also god drat these speakers are WAY better, I don't have to wear headphones now :dance:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I have a conundrum: do I play Link Between Worlds first, which I have never beat, or do I play MM first, which I loved much as a kid?

This is a rough call :(

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Bombadilillo posted:

Especially with the new 3ds face tracking, 3d is amazing and a experience you cannot get anywhere else.

Many good fun games, unless you really like anime....

It's really depressing to be stereoblind sometimes :smith:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

drat it, I really want to play Link Between Worlds and Majora's Mask, but every time I boot one up I just think

"You're almost done with that MH armor set, Ciaphas, just one more hunt"

help me :gonk:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Does Link Between Worlds take time to ramp up? Maybe my tastes have changed* since the days of LttP but I'm not really too engaged with it so far (admittedly only having been through one and a half dungeons).

*for the much worse if so :smith:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I can't decide whether to play Link Between Worlds, Majora's Mask, Fire Emblem: Awakening, or pick up and play Fantasy Life. And there's always Monster Hunter lingering in the background too.

Halp :saddowns:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I think I'd benefit from some of those grips for the N3DSXL. Are they selling those in brick and mortar anywhere yet in the US?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I've only just reached Lorule in Link Between Worlds. How far into the game am I, about a third?

It's really just not grabbing me :(

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Nolgthorn posted:

You are basically nowhere I think you're still setting up the story, how long have you been playing?

I dunno, two hours? Something like that? Why doesn't the load game screen have a timer on it.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Jadaris posted:

You are basically just starting the game, stick with it. It's real good.

Besides adding Lorule does it change significantly? The other zelda games' grab for me was kind of getting the next dungeon item and becoming more powerful/capable over time. That's... kind of not present so far, with the rental/purchase mechanic. Maybe that's why it's not grabbing :shrug:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I guess I'll keep giving it more time, then. It's strange, it used to be Zelda games would just absorb the poo poo out of me for days on end. Knew every trick in the book for Zelda 2, LttP, and Ocarina way back when, and Majora's too.

Maybe getting older (as though 30 is in any way 'old', christ) is changing my tastes for the worse :smith:

(edit) That and despite the headaches from using the 3DS (in 2D, mind) going away, I still wish I had bigger screens to use, like one of those PC monitor attachments or something. Makes it easier to lean back in my chair and play.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Waltzing Along posted:

I'd stay away from 1 and 2 unless you are a masochist. Just watch a LP and call it a day. They do not hold up at all and 2 was a bad game when it was released.

I'm watching Gamegrumps play 2 and I forgot how horrible and evil the final stretch of the game was. Eesh.

Still has a special place in my heart though :shobon:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Those NN3DSXL grips showing any hope of coming stateside yet?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I just noticed the Xenoblade release, myself. Anyone know much much they're changing with the game? I never got any farther than getting Rikki in my team, and haven't tried to play it since.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I could never get it working right, either it was lagged to poo poo or the sound was behind the video by about 1/3 of a second. Doesn't sound like much but it was chalkboard-screech levels of aggravating

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

flyboi posted:

The sound delay is a known bug where a cpu core pegged to 100% will de synch the audio and gpu but they haven't fixed it for a long time.

https://code.google.com/p/dolphin-emu/issues/detail?id=7955&q=Sync most efficient has a 200ms known delay

But here's your issue: https://code.google.com/p/dolphin-emu/issues/detail?id=7143&q=100%25

Well at least I'm not the only crazy one then. Thanks

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Tyma posted:

Outside of the little omake things on the main menu, the only noticable differences are :

The option for Japanese voices is gone
The option to toggle subtitles is gone (they're permanantly on)
The UI is different, because things which used to be arranged around the edges of the screen are now all moved to the bottom screen

Who the gently caress would turn off the English voices anyway :psyduck:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Pff look at you being all reasonable t:mad:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

A game I missed in the past few years before I fixed my "3DS==headaches even on 2D" problem is Bravely Default. Worth picking up?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Never played FFV. That's the one that started the job system thing, right? I like the system in theory but in practice I get decision paralyzed real easy :shobon:

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Apr 10, 2015

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

flyboi posted:

No you cannot. I own the game on both Wii and 3DS and it's fine. Sure there's aliasing issues but the Wii version had the same issues. I do agree with the feeling that the bottom-screen added on assets feel half-baked at best though as there's a lot of unused space and it's just a few interfaces over a black background.

The graphics overall aren't terrible and the only annoyance I had were with subtitles on cutscenes however after disabling them I've had no issues really. Yes, you can play the game in Dolphin for "superior hd" but Dolphin is a High Level Emulator and HLE is inaccurate and poo poo. It'll work for a vast majority of people but there are others who will be irritated with the nuances of HLE.

That'd be me. Owning both, I can say the Dolphin version of the game looks great but as I mentioned before there's about a 100-200ms desync between video and audio no matter what I do. Let me tell you, NOTHING will make your brain slowly twist several degrees in your own head like video/audio desync. Like the clock in Vetinari's office in Discworld. :argh:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

All that said I keep flip flopping between Bravely Default, Xenoblade, and thinking about buying the new Etrian. Help me choose which to play, friends :(

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Pureauthor posted:

EMD is pure roguelike, so if you like that, buy it. If not, don't.

Bravely Default vs Xenoblade mostly comes down to which flavour of RPG you prefer more.

The only games I replay with any regularity are A) Dungeon Fighter Online :v: and B) olde schoole JRPGs. Guess that'd be Bravely Default?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Fuzz posted:

Do you get the audio desynch?

If someone has a fix for the audio desynch in Dolphin I'd sure as gently caress like to hear about it, I've tried everydamnthing :cry: