Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Ah, new thread, which means a new place to post a request that if anyone out there has a Majora's Mask 3DS they want to offload, I'll happily buy it off you. Scalpers got me down and the price is only going up right now. I'm patient but gosh I wonder when the curve's gonna dip back down. Why does being an MM fan have to suck so much. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

DoctorWhat posted:

"why does being a majora's mask fan suck so much" asks goon, less than 72 hours after a gorgeously-polished portable remake of Majora's Mask is released 15 years after the original
That's 15 years of people telling you that game you like is rear end and won't ever see a remake. I wanna celebrate its newfound popularity but not by paying a scalper 200 bucks.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

DoctorWhat posted:

nah you're still being a big dorkus. just get a decal in a month or so once people start making them to fit the nuXL
Honestly I'm willing to just wait longer for getting the MM one because the only thing that would make me want to buy a new 3DS is that it is the MM one; I'm not in need of the Xenoblade port. The only practical reason I need to upgrade from my current 3DS is because its battery can't stay in sleep mode longer than 48 hours anymore.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

OneTrueBru posted:

Just a heads-up: amazon uk have stock of the MM 3ds XL - http://www.amazon.co.uk/New-Nintendo-Zelda-Majoras-Mask/dp/B00SFMM0BW/ref=zg_bs_635623031_8

Direct from amazon, though they're still doing a bit of scalping. Still, it's better than paying some random prat £275+.
That's 344 USD for anyone curious. Better than any deal in America but still a stupid amount for a paint job.

That said I'm still looking for one if anyone finds 'em at, y'know, reasonable prices.

Edit: This does make me curious. Exactly how many regions are there for Nintendo products (region-locking-wise) and is Europe in the same one as America or something?
I should stop assuming all posts are for Americans. For anyone curious, though, here: http://nintendo.wikia.com/wiki/Regions

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Feb 16, 2015

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

A co-worker just came up to me with her MM New 3DS and was like "I figured you'd want a look at it before you finally bought your own."

Okay, first of all, that thing is prettier than any sticker would ever be, so that idea's out the loving window. Secondly, she had me open it up and play her Animal Crossing and I was like "yeah well whatever I've seen this" and she goes "but turn on the 3D." loving wow. I now understand why you're all talking about leaving the 3D on for games. I had no idea they could actually get the face tracking working that well. I'm seriously impressed and amazed that it wasn't like this from the start.

So yeah, I'm in a nice hate-spiral now.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

I only very recently managed to hit the max # of spotpass slots (didn't even know it was a thing) on my 3DS. Does the nu3DS have more spotpass slots or no?

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Doug Dinsdale posted:

No. Capped at ten.
Huh? The normal 3DS is capped at 12. Did they seriously lower the amount?

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

noirstronaut posted:

This is a hosed up question solely because the Vita only has Persona, but the 3DS has Persona Q + a sea of excellent games.
The Vita also has 3 better versions of Monster Hunter but nobody cares because either you play Monster Hunter or you play nothing.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Turtlicious posted:

ugh, my nu3ds won't show up until Wednesday by 8pm.

Why does walmart have to ship it from New Jersey of all places?!
Because the west coast port is on strike and nothing's going through.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Nolgthorn posted:

Was N3DS also used for the old 3DS?
I don't think it ever was but considering NOA stupidly abbreviated the Gamecube to GCN I wouldn't have put it past them to do it again with the 3DS.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

I haven't posted about the Majora's Mask New 3DS XL in a few days and this thread is still terrible so time to post again.

Pre-release pre-orders were hovering in the 350-400 range, release-day prices were hovering in the 450-500 range.
Today? 300-350 range sellers aren't managing to move product while 400+ systems stagnate in the homes of scalpers everywhere.
Update: Lowest eBay price is 250 bucks. Ha!

victrix posted:

Bravely Default is to FF as Disgaea is to FFT
So it's an awesome game. Cool. (I finally bought it and am loving it so far because I haven't played a JRPG in years and finally felt the bug bite me with all the drat FF15 footage.)

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Feb 25, 2015

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

So I got my limited edition majora's mask figure and I'm curious... is the mask supposed to be able to come off? I don't wanna rip the thing and break it but I can see the skull kid's face is definitely under there. I'm curious if it's a detachable thing or not.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Anyone have a source for New 3DS replacement parts? Back plates are on back order on the official shop and I can't find shells or front plates on sale anywhere except for original 3DS's.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Soul Glo posted:

What did you break and more importantly how?
Oh, nothing broke. My friend wants to get artsy on it and I'd rather he do that on parts that are OK to break.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

noirstronaut posted:

Just buy one of those clear cases or whatever. Unless he's going to do some cool rear end laser etching.
I don't want a case, the XL is fat enough as it is. I don't know exactly what he's gonna do but, knowing him, it's probably something you can't do on cheap plastic or rubber. That said, is there a really thin case out there that isn't cheap plastic or rubber?

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Fuzz posted:

So my current list of games is:
Fantasy Life

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Theta Zero posted:

Well, at least 1/4ths of a Majora's Mask 3DS is better than 0/4ths.
My friend has the MM one and it's literally just the front and back plate on a black system. Having the battery cover is actually 1/2 the system. I have no idea why they aren't just selling face plates and loving over all the scalpers.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Saagonsa posted:

You can't remove the top, so probably not.
It's actually pretty easy to replace the top. Thinking about it, I am now actually surprised nobody's thought to grab a cheap 3d printer from a dying Radio Shack and print up (with decals and primer and whatever) replicas to sell off.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Astro7x posted:

Did anybody post this yet? Someone figured out how to exploit spot pass to get special Miis

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKjWBJK84PM

TL;DV
1) Open Mii Plaza
2) Go to "Settings"
3) Deactivate Street Pass, which will also deactivate Spot Pass
4) Go to your Special Mii and delete them
5) Hit the home button and close out of Mii Plaza completely
6) Open Mii Plaza again
7) Open Settings. Activate Street Pass, and then activate Spot Pass as well.
8) Hit the Home Button, and the Blue Light should go on with a Spot Pass Notification
9) Open notifications, launch software for Mii Plaza
10) Special Mii will show up again as if it's their first time in the Plaza.
10 minutes boiled down to 30 seconds of reading. This is why I hate anyone who tries to teach things on YouTube.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Red Robin Hood posted:

So I guess GameStop is getting a restock of the MM new3DS XL. Each store is supposed to get 4 tomorrow. I called my local store and they're holding one for me. So... if ya want one. Give them a call!
I shrugged and called my GameStop. Turned out I was the 20th caller (just 2 hours after the news leaked) which meant the guy got to tell me that not only are they not receiving their shipment until mid-day, but "because this was a leaked internal memo" they don't have any protocol for how they're going to sell them. He says they don't plan on having a line and won't hold them for anyone either.

I kinda want to head over there in the afternoon just to watch the absolute chaos.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Sire Oblivion posted:

I think the best bet is waking up early to :f5: the poo poo out of the site and get one that way.
Far as I know, nothing in the memo mentioned more copies being sold online.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Kithkar posted:

The memo did infact say they were going up online.
No it didn't.

Doesn't matter though, got one anyway thanks to a buddy in a city that has a good dozen gamestops.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Kithkar posted:

This is now my favorite post.
I like to save my worst posting for this thread. And I read the bad webcomics thread, so what does that tell you.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Awesome! posted:

i thought we destroyed that thread....
Not only is it back but it won't give you forums cancer anymore. It's a holiday miracle.

Turns out more than one of my friends managed to snag the MM 3DS but I have yet to read of anyone seeing it go up on the site. Not only that but not even nowinstock.net ever saw it go online. For anyone who hasn't gotten theirs yet, there may still be hope (in a 30 second window when you aren't at your computer.)

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

I'm really glad a new Metroid games exists but I'm really sad they hosed with the 'run, jump/gun, run' formula by pretty much forcing you to stop, wait, and use the countering system to get anything done in a reasonable amount of time. I feel like there's no flow to the game, it's just staggered so much. I could probably write a whole essay about what else is wrong with the game but I'll just say "it's not as good as it could have been."

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Tender Bender posted:

I never really found Metroid to be a run and gun type of series :confused:
Yeah I mean, you can play games whatever way you want and if you like the new Metroid because you weren't the type to flow through the games at a consistent pace, there's nothing wrong with you or how you play it. I'm just saying that I always felt like there was a run/gun kinda flow that really entranced me with the series and this new one just doesn't evoke that same feeling anymore. Instead of "oh I gotta keep playing" I'm thinking "oh good a save point, time to play something else."

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Detective No. 27 posted:

I am bonafide stuck in Metroid.
Funny thing, I was stuck trying to find the last Metroid in this area and discovered that the game actually requires you to make a pretty huge bomb jump which, as far as I know, no other game has ever put in the critical path. At least it's super easy to do in this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Augus posted:

Dunno which Metroid you're talking about but that 100% wasn't the intended way to reach it
I decided to try and figure out why this isn't the intended path and then learned about a function of the magic shield that, well, wasn't taught anywhere in the game. I think this makes 3 times so far the game failed to teach something that I just kinda had to figure out on my own, except this time I looked it up because I went about things the way a speed runner would. Whoops!

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

I can't bomb jump for poo poo so yeah I think you may have gone up the exit route or something
Bomb jumping is stupid easy in this game, just like the wall jumping is stupid easy. It's weird, they made the game more complex than your usual Metroid but the finesse-necessary abilities end up being easier than countering and dodging. Throws me way out of whack.

dirby posted:

If it's the function that they both allude to in the description of the shield and test you on by all but requiring you to use it right after you get the ability, then I'm a little surprised you missed it, but also you're not the only one and I definitely bomb jump around anyway.
They test you with one particular circumstance that, as far as I can remember, is not the circumstance you come across trying to get up to that part I'm talking about. Thus my confusion.
More specifically, they test you with the purple cloud poo poo, but the part I couldn't figure out was the red flower poo poo right?

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Sep 18, 2017