Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

tlarn posted:

Is it weird that the main reason I wanted a New 3DS XL was because I discovered the scaling on DS games isn't quite right on the regular 3DS, leading to some blurriness, and it scales correctly on the XL's larger resolution screens?

The XL doesn't have larger resolution screens. The regular 3DS, the XL, the New XL, and the 2DS all have the exact same resolution, so the same scaling filter is applied on all of them.

To have DS or Game Boy games display at their original resolution with no blurring effect, you hold select or start while booting them, which works on any 3DS model.

EDIT: oh well I got beaten multiple times over

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

RadicalR posted:

Just got my 3DS, doing the system transfer now. :kimchi:
It'll take a while, but I can wait.

Does anyone know if Xenoblade Chronicles 3D is going to be digital as well? Gamestop tried to get me to reserve it, saying that it might become rare to find. I was like "But it'll be on the eShop, right?"

Everything Nintendo publishes goes on sale digitally now, and there's no reason Xenoblade would be an exception. Gamestop wants you to order a physical copy because they are in the physical copy business.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Turtlicious posted:

So things don't look weird and flat / look a lot better with the 3D on?

Games still render 3D exactly the same way they always did, but the system uses head-tracking magic to be more chill about what angle you look at the screen from. The stereoscopic effect doesn't feel different, but it's a much comfier experience (especially for games that allow gyroscopic aiming, since now you can do that without screwing up the picture).

Theoretically it might be possible for a game to read the head-tracking data and move its in-game camera around accordingly to give you a really cool diorama effect, but that'd be a game-specific thing and nothing does it yet.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

noirstronaut posted:

The 3D used to work in reverse, where things appeared to have more depth, but on the new, it looks like that pop upwards like they do in 3D movies.

Depth vs popout is handled game-by-game, though, not on the hardware level. Whether an object looks deep in the screen or like it's popping out is determined by how that particular game is designed to render its left-eye and right-eye images, and the new system doesn't change that at all.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

NNIDs were added to the 3DS in 2013, and that made it a lot easier on Nintendo's end to do manual remote transfers. If your original system predated that and never had an NNID attached to it, there's probably still not anything they can do.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Martytoof posted:

What do you guys think is a sweet spot for SD size? 32gb?

Yeah, I've bought a ton of digital stuff, including beefier games like MGS3, Kid Icarus, and DKCR, and I've still only used about 60% of my 32 gig card. I can't imagine needing to upgrade beyond that for a good long while.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Don't put a big empty microSD card into your New 3DS before you start. Put the card in later, once you are instructed to and that card is full of data.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I prefer the XL screen size, but the overall look of the regular n3DS is just so much more clean and tidy, and I've come around to wishing for those coloured buttons instead of just coloured labels.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I still feel pretty sure there'll be a Xenoblade XL released in North America. It'd be weird to miss that opportunity with the first New-exclusive game.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Bombadilillo posted:

Why the gently caress would they not make xl faceplates? It makes no sense.

To do that, they would either have to sell two sizes of faceplates in regions where both models are available, or they'd have to create a different XL design just for the US.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

It should be possible for games to change their camera angle on the fly based on head tracking and give you a diorama effect, IF games have access to that tracking data. Hopefully something comes along that does it.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Yeah, the interior matte plastic isn't that robust; a bump with my fingernail put a lil baby dent in the side.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Technically it was even possible for games to use the Home button for something completely different, or alter the look and feel of the Home menu, but such a game would have run afoul of Nintendo's standards for publishing on the system.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

In the commentary for House of Cards, the Vita scene is vigorously defended on the grounds that in a real conversation people will mention real products, but the problem is that no one on earth says "Pee Ess Vita" out loud.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

You can dress up cute, in Pokémon X and/or Pokémon Y.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Anything made of moulded plastic won't quite fit right, and will probably block stuff like the game card slot. The only accessories I can think of that would definitely work for both are screen protectors and soft cases.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

The solution with something like that is basically always "call Nintendo".

What customer service most likely do is get the NNID linked to the new system, which will restore download rights to anything that was bought on the eShop, but won't preserve save data.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

How come the buttons on the in-game UI aren't super famicom coloured? HOW COME

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

noirstronaut posted:

Nintendo "fixed" the Wii mini exploit...by removing it from eligible products to net you coins.

https://club.nintendo.com/eligible-products.do

Considering the service is about to shut down, I'm not too dismayed at a hacky quick-fix.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

The red one has a terrific exterior colour, but the interior is more of a brick red or maroon, which is not so nice.

The black is more of a dark grey, but it's classy and goes with everything.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I don't think it's really true that the castle was designed to work well both ways. There's so many spots where you have to repeatedly switch into bat mode for like two seconds, because the upside-down layouts aren't designed around your jump height the way the rightside-up layouts are.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

It's way longer than 20 seconds when there's lots of enemies on the field, and during most of it you can't see poo poo because the enemy taking its turn to move isn't anywhere near your visible range.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I do not think I am going to buy the game, based on my experiences in the demo.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I've had a cradle for a while. A cool thing about this one is that you can shorten the cable by coiling it up in the cradle's underside.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

That's already a skin anyway. The regular N3DS only has swappable exteriors, not interiors.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

People are getting really mad at their own imaginary assumptions about a system that won't even be unveiled until 2016, let alone released.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

blackjack posted:

Wouldn't Super Mario RPG 3D be the one people would garrote an elderly neighbor for?

Super Mario RPG would have to be rebuilt from scratch in order to enable a 3D effect (unlike the Paper Mario games, which could be ported with no more difficulty than other N64-Wii games that have had 3DS ports). It's a sprite-based game with an isometric viewpoint, which means the "layering" effect previously used by 3D Classics titles wouldn't be possible. Either new sprites would have to be rendered (for the left-eye and right-eye perspectives), or the game would have to render in realtime 3D.

All that aside, I don't think Nintendo's gonna waste time remaking any SNES games when they work perfectly on console VC. It's N64 games and beyond that are in the port/remake zone.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Francis posted:

Most reviews that comment on the 3D say that it's implemented pretty poorly and basically just has a 'foreground' and 'background' layer. It's understandable since the 3DS doesn't have the ability to project as much depth as the larger vistas in Xenoblade would demand.

That sounds very strange, since all you really need to do to "project depth" is to render with two slightly-separated cameras.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Waltzing Along posted:

That's based on stereoscopic vision. That's not how the 3ds works.

Uh... the 3DS does use stereoscopic 3D. Using a parallax barrier on the upper screen, one image is shown to the left eye and a slightly different image is shown to the right eye.

For rendered polygonal images, the left-eye camera is separated from the right-eye camera, and the 3D slider moves the cameras further apart or closer together, converging in the same place when turned all the way down. Sprites and bitmaps are separated horizontally for either a pop-in or pop-out effect, and once again, turning down the 3D causes those sprites and bitmaps to converge to the same position. You can test all this out yourself by closing one eye and fiddling with the 3D slider, then switching eyes and doing the same.

The only way it would make any sense for Xenoblade to do the "flat layers" thing would be if the game were rendered entirely in 2D and the UI just had a pop-out effect overtop of it.

Supercar Gautier fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Mar 29, 2015

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

StabMasterArson posted:

Someone told me that even if I got my NNID back on my new system I'd have to pay to redownload games anyway, is that true? Might just make a new NNID at this rate

No, this is not true. If Nintendo links your NNID to your new system, then all your purchases are linked along with it, and are available for free redownload. All you lose are the save files.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Nintendo's first-party games have been getting midnight online releases for years now. Midnight EST, specifically.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Spent a few minutes with Xenoblade 3D. The graphical conversion is fantastic, and the visuals survive the resolution downgrade really well. It's as low-poly as ever, but the models and textures don't feel compromised compared to the original.

The UI elements don't fare quite so well. For a static graphic that's onscreen constantly, you'd think they'd make sure the minimap ring looks nice (they rescaled the original graphic at some arbitrary %, resulting in gross blurred pixellation). Some of the text and fonts could have been tweaked for better readability, as well.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Skeezy posted:

It's the same exact game.

What I don't get is why they didn't redesign the bottom screen where the character information and map are. The map is pretty small and there's space there that they could have used to fill up the screen better I think.

Unfortunately, they really didn't put any effort into remastering the UI. They just ported all the original icons and assets, often scaling them sloppily. Some stuff comes out okay (most of what's on the upper screen looks fine), but some elements just look gross. Considering that the portraits, meters, and minimap circle are all fixed in place, it shouldn't have been a big undertaking to tailor them to look nicer and add some kind of backdrop.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I am actually largely impressed with the quality of the port. There's just some weird oversights polish-wise.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I had a bug in Xenoblade where all music stopped, and then when I went to an area that triggered a cutscene, the screen froze.

Fortunately it was still possible to pause and skip the frozen cutscene, so I saved and quit pronto before anything worse happened. Obviously I recommend doing that immediately if the music suddenly stops.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Are you serious

This is a big game

The world in Xenoblade is made of two titans, so if you've only explored one then you're not done!

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

That's an absolutely great bit. It's not even required for the story, you just get this huge dramatic setpiece for exploring a little nook of the world.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I know it's not really what you're asking for, but might I recommend A Song of Souls and Darkness, by George R.R. Martin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I was playing Dark Souls for a while but I got bored around the time I reached a crystal cave, and have not continued.