Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Problem description: I'm trying to use VLC to convert some .mkv files into a format viewable on my Nexus 5 phone. I've tried a few different codecs, and always get a "media not found" error when I open the file in my phone's media gallery.

Attempted fixes: I've searched around for recommended codecs to use, and choosing those codecs results in videos won't play on my phone. I've tried the encapsulations MPEG-TS, MPEG-PS, MP4/MOV, MJPEG, and AVI with no success. I'm using the H-264 codec, which is the recommended one for Nexus 5. On my phone I get a "media not found" error when trying to view the video. The MP3 audio codec creates a video with sound on my computer, but I haven't managed to make it viewable on my phone.

I found an online guide suggesting that VLC should have a setting to create a video specifically for an Android device, but I don't have this option and I'm using the latest version.

Recent changes: I haven't tried to do this before. My version of VLC is up to date, as is my phone's OS and Photos app.

Operating system: Windows 8.1, 64-bit.

System specs: Intel i5 processor, GeForce 660ti graphics card, 8GB RAM. Phone is a Nexus 5 D820.

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

If you go through the convert process on VLC then you should reach this screen after you select the file you want to convert:

The Android options are at the bottom of the dropdown list of conversion profiles.

I don't remember running it myself, but fired up VLC just to check, and the options are there for me.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

It's still not working with Photos, but I found a program called MX Player that can handle these mp4s. The problem was with my phone and not VLC all along. Thanks for the help.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
There's also the program MKVToMP4, which in general is way quicker than converting it if the mkv was already in h.264.

• Locked thread