Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bean
Sep 9, 2001
I live in a neighborhood with a number of stray cats. I've considered buying a live trap for them, it's so bad.

For a day or two, we've been hearing a cat cry outside. Usually the strays meander around, drink out of my pond, and piss off my dumbass cat Max, so the crying is kind of new. Today I finally got a look at the cat. I'm kind of cat-dumb (I didn't grow up with them, my current cats are really step cats that my husband had before we were married), but this fucker was so fat that I figure he's getting plenty of food from somewhere. I don't know if he's got a person that he's gotten away from or he's just a master garbage can raider or what.

The other possibility is that the cat I saw wasn't the crying cat, I guess, since the meows were tiny and cute and he looked pretty beefy, but big cats can make tiny meows. Right? Like I said, I'm cat-dumb.

It was super cold last night, maybe around two or three degrees, so I'm impressed he survived. Anyway, it's supposed to snow a ton tonight, so I thought about trying to catch him. I went into the yard with an old cat carrier we don't use any more, a towel, and welding gloves, because gently caress getting bitten, but he must've heard me and run off. It snowed a tiny bit yesterday, so I followed his footprints to the side of the house. There's a small hole and a crawl space, he could be in either of those. I'm guessing it's not safe to go into the crawl space after him. That sounds like a good way to get your face clawed off, so I left it at that.

What's the best thing to do for this cat? Will he be safe and warm in the crawl space? The weather forecast says 14 inches of snow, I don't know if that would keep him from going in or out. I'm not sure he's in the hole, he looked too beefy to fit. Should I put some food and/or there for him?

If the best plan of action is to grab him somehow, how should I go about it? I'm worried about bringing him inside, we've got two cats and a rabbit and I don't want him spreading cat germs to anyone. If we put him in the garage, where the other cats have never been allowed, is that okay?

If nothing else, it might be a good idea to try and gather him up at some point, because if he's that big he might have a person, and that person might have microchipped him.

I probably wouldn't worry so hard if he wasn't outside meowing so much, I'm assuming that means that he needs something.

Bean fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Feb 15, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

catamar
May 23, 2008
He's probably pretty cozy in the crawl space, but you could try building him a tupperware shelter. Putting it near a window might make it easier to observe him for injuries or to capture him if you take him to a vet to scan for a chip.

http://www.daneferals.org/info/file?file=12761.pdf

• Locked thread