Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

magiccarpet posted:

Velvet Buzzsaw is a movie they released after the first rough cut. What a waste.

I don't agree with that. Is there a reason you think that, or is just what we are saying about everything Netflix puts out now? I thought it was really entertaining and paced well. It certainly doesn't suffer from the issues Hold The Dark, Apostle, or Mute did.

Basically I think if you go in expecting biting satire or surreal psychological horror, you'll be disappointed. If you go in expecting a more stylish Final Destination, propped up by some really great actors it's pretty ace. Jake G continues to be excellent. Morf is a great character. Also really loving Toni Collette right now.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Feb 3, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Ant-Man and Wasp felt like a good Flubber remake no one asked for

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

There's a Shaw Brothers marathon streaming on Twitch this week.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cw4WPwfClSI
https://en.prnasia.com/releases/apa...ch-235828.shtml
twitch.tv/gammaray_tv

quote:

monday pt
12:00AM • ONE-ARMED SWORDSMAN
1:55AM • TRILOGY OF SWORDSMANSHIP
3:50AM • RETURN OF THE ONE ARMED SWORDSMAN
5:35AM • HOLY FLAME OF THE MARTIAL WORLD
7:10AM • EXECUTIONERS FROM SHAOLIN
8:50AM • COWARD BASTARD
10:20AM • THE SHADOW WHIP
11:40AM • DESCENDANT OF THE SUN
1:10PM • GOLDEN SWALLOW
3:00PM • ONE-ARMED SWORDSMAN
5:00PM • TRILOGY OF SWORDSMANSHIP
6:55PM • RETURN OF THE ONE ARMED SWORDSMAN
8:40PM • HOLY FLAME OF THE MARTIAL WORLD
10:15PM • EXECUTIONERS FROM SHAOLIN

tues
12:00AM • BAT WITHOUT WINGS
1:30AM • SHAOLIN MANTIS
2:55AM • GOLDEN SWALLOW
4:40AM • DESCENDANT OF THE SUN
6:10AM • COWARD BASTARD
7:40AM • EXECUTIONERS FROM SHAOLIN
9:25AM • THE SHADOW WHIP
10:45AM • BAT WITHOUT WINGS
12:20PM • SHAOLIN MANTIS
2:00PM • GOLDEN SWALLOW
4:00PM • DESCENDANT OF THE SUN
5:20PM • COWARD BASTARD
8:35 • THE INVINCIBLE SHAOLIN
10:10PM • BAT WITHOUT WINGS

weds
12:00AM • The FIVE VENOMS
1:40AM • THE DRAGON MISSILE
3:05AM • THE LADY IS A BOSS
4:45AM • THE INVINCIBLE SHAOLIN
6:30AM • THE KID WITH THE GOLDEN ARM
8:00AM • BLOOD BROTHERS
10:00AM • THE SAVAGE FIVE
11:40AM • THE LADY IS A BOSS
1:20PM • THE INVINCIBLE SHAOLIN
3:05PM • THE KID WITH THE GOLDEN ARM
4:30PM • THE FIVE VENOMS
6:15PM • BLOOD BROTHERS
8:20PM • THE SAVAGE FIVE
10:00PM • THE 14 AMAZONS

thurs
12:00AM • THE 36TH CHAMBER OF SHAOLIN
2:00AM • RETURN TO THE 36TH CHAMBER
3:45AM • DISCIPLES OF THE 36TH CHAMBER
5:20AM • BLOOD BROTHERS
7:30AM • THE FIGHTING FOOL
9:00AM • THE SAVAGE FIVE
10:40AM • OPIUM AND THE KUNG-FU MASTER
12:15PM • HEROES TWO
1:50PM • THE 36TH CHAMBER OF SHAOLIN
3:45PM • RETURN TO THE 36TH CHAMBER
5:30PM • DISCIPLES OF THE 36TH CHAMBER
7:05PM • OPIUM AND THE KUNG-FU MASTER
8:40PM • HEROES TWO
10:15PM • THE FIGHTING FOOL

fri
12:00AM • THE 14 AMAZONS
2:06AM • HEROES TWO
3:43AM • THE DRAGON MISSILE
5:15AM • BUDDHA’S PALM
6:57AM • NEW ONE ARMED SWORDSMAN
8:40AM • BLACK TAVERN
10:14AM • THE DRAGON MISSILE
11:45AM • THE 14 AMAZONS
1:51PM • BUDDHA’S PALM
3:34PM • NEW ONE ARMED SWORDSMAN
5:17PM • BLACK TAVERN
6:51PM • OPIUM AND THE KUNG-FU MASTER
8:27PM • BUDDHA’S PALM
10:09PM • NEW ONE ARMED SWORDSMAN

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I’m watching GG Allin all in the family. And the part where a fan pisses on his grave and Merle Allin makes him clean him up with a shirt, then breaks a guitar on his head is one of the greatest things I’ve ever seen.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

Piell posted:

Ant-Man is nice because it's one of the few movies that makes the ex-wife's new fiance just a nice guy and not secretly an evil monster that the main character has to expose to get his wife back.

Also Ant-Mans daughter knows that you should never help the cops.

The family relationship is one of my favorite things about ant man

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
I really liked Velvet Buzzsaw, except for all of the death scenes. It was a sort of a frustrating watch. It was a Final destination Rube Goldberg set up except the death mechanics only had like 1 or 2 pieces to them. Still worth my time and overall I enjoyed it. Gyllenhal was great as expected but Rene Russo also absolutely kills it. Hell, even Malkovich was great. Also, I should note that I did like Morf's death scene because Gyllenhal was acting the hell out of it and the bum robot was cool. Still needed some more layers than robot chases man, robot catches man.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Junkie Disease posted:

Hah that's a pretty good take on it.

The father / daughter / family aspect sets it apart from the rest of the marvel films IMO. They are both pretty fun.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
The first episode of HANNA is up on Amazon Prime for the next 24 hours. It's a remake of a pretty good movie so it's probably worth watching.

quote:

In equal parts high-concept thriller and coming-of-age drama, HANNA follows the journey of an extraordinary young girl raised in the forest, as she evades the relentless pursuit of an off-book CIA agent and tries to unearth the truth behind who she is. Full Season Coming March.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I don't know why it would be for 24 hours. Just make it available permanently to drive subscriptions.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Well Russian Doll was amazing. I don't even want to talk about it in spoiler tags because anyone who watches it should go in mostly blind except knowing that it takes the Groundhog Day premise and twists it in all sorts of directions and that Maxine is the best character.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

TheManWithNoName posted:

Also, finally got around to seeing Ant-Man and the Wasp now that it’s on Netflix. Very similar to the first one which is to say enjoyable enough.

It starts kinda slow but the last 45 minutes are great and the humor is on point. I want a whole movie about X-CONS

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

LifeLynx posted:

Well Russian Doll was amazing.

I'm glad to hear it -- I blasted through Killing Eve a lot faster than I intended to, and I need something new.

ptkfvk
Apr 30, 2013

i liked polar for the most part, my only issue was the weird honey pot character. it felt like she was being abused throughout the whole movie. i didnt understand why they needed her to just bang whatever guy they were gonna kill. it was so weird

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

ptkfvk posted:

i liked polar for the most part, my only issue was the weird honey pot character. it felt like she was being abused throughout the whole movie. i didnt understand why they needed her to just bang whatever guy they were gonna kill. it was so weird

Because it was a gross movie made by people who don't think through what they've written.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Junkie Disease posted:

Do I need to see Ant-Man before I watch this one?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Iron Crowned posted:

Not really. They recap enough for it to stand alone.

All you need to know is Scott is a thief who gets arrested a lot and Hank Pym let him use his Ant-Man suit to save the day once but that turned out to be bad for everyone.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Franchescanado posted:

Not really. They recap enough for it to stand alone.

All you need to know is Scott is a thief who gets arrested a lot and Hank Pym let him use his Ant-Man suit to save the day once but that turned out to be bad for everyone.

Alright cool. I'm basically in the mode that I'll watch MCU movies if they're on Netflix, although I was bored to sleep during Infinity War.

Mr. Toodles
Jun 22, 2004

I support prison abolition, except for posters without avatars.
Season 2 of Legion is up on Hulu, but first watch Russian Doll because it is great

Parachute
May 18, 2003
season 1 of legion was really good but i couldn't get more than like 4 episodes in to 2 for some reason as it aired. it felt like the show was up its own rear end already or something.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
I have never seen Legion, but all I know is that people really liked Season 1 mostly and really hated Season 2

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

I feel like both seasons we're unfinished half stories with terrible season enders, pretty though

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
gammaray_tv on Twitch is streaming a ludicrously large selection of the Shaw Brothers kung fu films. The transfers are great.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Iron Crowned posted:

No but its good too in basically the same ways.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

tetrapyloctomy posted:

I'm glad to hear it -- I blasted through Killing Eve a lot faster than I intended to, and I need something new.

I need more Killing Eve already :(

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Russian Doll won’t really fix that for you since it totals less than three hours, but oh man what a three hours.

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

I really really enjoyed Velvet Buzzsaw even though as an actual horror film it would have been better had they just completely glossed over the reason WHY it happened. Oh gee government experiments :eng99: The CGI was goofy as poo poo too so I consider it as sort of a black comedy and it works so much better that way.

I couldn’t get into Russian Doll tbh. I tried.

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc

mysterious frankie posted:

I kinda wish they would have done a straight up Brett Eastman Ellis style black comedy about the world of high art and left out the possessed paintings. Just an hour and a half of Gyllehal being an awesome dickhead.

Hard disagree! (although Gyllenhal's delightful rear end in a top hat Morf is the best character)

Art people being tedious dipshits has been done a hundred times. Art people being tedious dipshits who get murdered by evil art is waaaay more fun! (at least for me.)

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Legion is fantastic all the way through, although the middle of season 2 has some pacing issues.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Labes for days posted:

I really really enjoyed Velvet Buzzsaw even though as an actual horror film it would have been better had they just completely glossed over the reason WHY it happened. Oh gee government experiments :eng99:

Wait, what? Did I miss something major?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Red Oktober posted:

Wait, what? Did I miss something major?

It’s barely touched on, but when Morf researches the man who created all the paintings he finds out Dease was institutionalized after killing his father, and at the institution he was subjected to experimental electroshock treatments at the behest of the government.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Big Mean Jerk posted:

It’s barely touched on, but when Morf researches the man who created all the paintings he finds out Dease was institutionalized after killing his father, and at the institution he was subjected to experimental electroshock treatments at the behest of the government.

I don't think that's an explanation for the supernatural events. That was a common practice for institutionalized people of that time period, and I think it's intention was more to show that his entire life involved suffering, and his art was simultaneously an escape from that and also a way for him to articulate that. I think what's more telling is that every painting contained Dease's actual tissue, like blood or flesh which still leaves a lot of negative space for the viewer to have fun with.

Anyway, I also really enjoyed Velvet Buzzsaw. It's fun and funny and delightfully weird. It manages to show a cast of characters completely up their own rear end without the film doing the same thing. Still, the best satire of the Art world, critics and museum, is still The Square, which is on Hulu and Hoopla.

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Feb 5, 2019

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.
all the kills in velvet buzzsaw were so mild and disappointing. such a waste of an interesting premise. case in point: guy gets eaten by the attic. plenty of spooky possibilities. a random hand grabs him by his tie and hangs him with it. oh. that's it, huh?

i did like the bit with the girl from stranger things finding all the bodies

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Russian Doll was good.

Jubs
Jul 11, 2006

Boy, I think it's about time I tell you the difference between a man and a woman. A woman isn't a woman unless she's pretty. And a man isn't a man unless he's ugly.
If the Ted Bundy tapes didn't quench your thirst for murderers, I'd highly recommend Encounters With Evil on Netflix.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I actually liked the Bundy series because it didn't focus too much on the graphic details of the crimes, it was a lot more about all the footage of Bundy so that you could really get a sense of how hosed up his personality was. It's probably the most comprehensive collection of footage like that on the subject I can think of, obviously because his case became such a media circus, but not many other serial killers have given so many statements and been filmed for as many hours as Bundy was.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Jubs posted:

If the Ted Bundy tapes didn't quench your thirst for murderers, I'd highly recommend Encounters With Evil on Netflix.

The Zac Efron movie about him, made by the same director as the Ted Bundy Tapes documentary, is also a Netflix exclusive now.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Shoulda been Glenn Howerton.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Velvet Buzzsaw is kind of fascinating on the level of a director and d.p. who've twice demonstrated having a really good but not overbearing visual eye, now seeming to try to make a film as visually unappealing as possible. And, no, I don't just mean the art in the shot is unappealing. I mean the entire thing is shot like an above-average indie Christian film.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Await Further Instructions: This movie is so silly. Just loving kiss her and say "Welp, guess we gotta both be quarantined now." Then you don't have to talk to these fuckers anymore.

Then say "And I guess that means we can eat too. :smug:" and grab some food.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Feb 6, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Lucky is up on Hulu. It’s a pretty solid flick and a nice farewell for Harry Dean Stanton.