Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
The Babadook was great until they played that stock dinosaur roar. Completely killed the mood for me and took me right out of the film.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Dr. Clockwork posted:

The Babadook was great until they played that stock dinosaur roar. Completely killed the mood for me and took me right out of the film.

I don't remember that. I'm pretty sure I'd handed over my suspension of disbelief entirely by that point. I woud've called it credible if Superman had flown in the window and wrestled Mr. Babadook into submission.

Also I watched Oculus over the weekend. I'd almost go as far as to say that it's less horror than a puzzle box thriller, but I don't know if I'll have anyone to agree with me on that score. The creepy mirror stops being creepy real fast but you're still left with a nice mind-bending plot with some clever edits.

I think the movie just commits the sin of showing too much--its creepy mirror people aren't threatening and look goofy when the camera lingers on them for too long. I think the movie would've been much scarier without that physical presence, instead relying entirely on invisible malevolence. There are still a few good scenes of body horror though--Karen Gillan with a mouthful of lightbulb, Jeeeeeesus--and the editing that mashes together the present with the past is very well done.

I'd say it's worth a watch, if not a rewatch. Solid B. The director has another movie up on Netflix called Absentia, I might have to check that out, too.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Some people in the last thread enjoyed Absentia, but I thought it was boring with some of the worst characters in a movie. It tries to be a commentary about grief, but mixes in giant bug monsters with the folktale of the Brothers Gruff. Me and my roommate paused the movie with five minutes to go and tried to guess how all the pieces fit together, which is infinitely better than watching the real ending that only makes a little bit of sense. Also, the detective character who talks while smacking his chewing gum loudly and showing his teeth was horrible.

Oculus is great, though. I

I watched We Are What We Are recently. It's a good movie, but I don't really care to watch it again. The whole thing is uncomfortable to watch. Great atmosphere, effects, and a weird world. The child actors were wonderful. I liked it.

Frank is great. Half of my friends loved it, the other half thought it should have ended with the album recording. The ones that loved it thought it had a sad ending, the ones that didn't thought the ending was very happy. Fassbender was excellent. If you've been in a band, you're more apt to enjoy the awkward relationships throughout. I hope Stephen Rennicks does more music projects. I wish I could find more catchy experimental bands like the Soronfrbdfjexoemrbs.

I was thinking of making a list of horror movies up on streaming since it's a new thread. Would anyone be interested, or should I spend my time doing something else?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

"Franchescanado" posted:

I was thinking of making a list of horror movies up on streaming since it's a new thread. Would anyone be interested, or should I spend my time doing something else?

I would.

Braggo
Jul 26, 2005

Franchescanado posted:

I'm definitely interested.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
If you made a good horror movie list, I'd edit it into the OP.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I'll do it after I get off work.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Zombies' Downfall posted:

Oh, re: Miike, is the Japanese version of One Missed Call kind of taking the piss out of the Ringu subgenre of technology-horror films? I haven't seen it in years but I remember it being funny in that way, but sadly it isn't on Netflix. Should I bother watching it again or am I misremembering a bad horror film?

No, it was genuinely really good.

Though if you want a film that was definitely intentionally taking the piss out of Japanese horror tropes, look for Sion Sono's EXTE (he's the guy who did Suicide Circle, Strange Circus (which is on Netflix), Cold Fish (which no longer is on Netflix, but is on Amazon I think)

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Franchescanado posted:

Please do. My wife won't watch horror so I don't keep up with what's good anymore. Would be nice to have a go to list to turn to on nights she's not around.

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

Dr. Clockwork posted:

Oh my god everything else about the film is great but that goddamn Pterodactyl noise grinds it to a screeching halt.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Everyone complains about that sound effect but I hardly noticed

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

That Works posted:

Please do. My wife won't watch horror so I don't keep up with what's good anymore. Would be nice to have a go to list to turn to on nights she's not around.

Sup, TFF homie with a sissy spouse. :smith::hf::black101:

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

The Babadook scream is really, really jarring if you played a bunch of video games in the 90's, since it got used in DOOM, Xcom, and I think even Resident Evil, among others. It didn't ruin the movie or anything, but it definitely stuck out and it was such a bizarrely lazy decision given how much effort they put into other parts of the movie. Like if you are going to use a stock sound, at least run it through a filter or distort it a bit or something so it's not exactly the same.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
The Robocop remake is something I wish was just like 10% better. There's a lot of interesting grist there, but it's a big lump dramatically.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

morestuff posted:

The Robocop remake is something I wish was just like 10% better. There's a lot of interesting grist there, but it's a big lump dramatically.

The Robocop remake made me truly appreciate how good of a screen play the original has. I'd say the opening scene was perfect, and once you get that title screen the movie falls off a huge cliff and can never climb back. I feel like there were a lot of interesting ideas that simply went nowhere. It wasn't even the changes made in the movie that bothered me those I understand it was the piss poor attempts at world building. Like I know the original movie wasn't subtle but I felt like every character in this movie had to explain as loudly as possible who they were and what they were doing. That fight with the ed 209's was awful too. Just a lot of wasted potential.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

The_Rob posted:

That fight with the ed 209's was awful too. Just a lot of wasted potential.

Not every building can have stairs.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
I honestly have similar issues with the original, but the light touch goes a long way.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Horror Movies Worth Their Weight in Blood

Classics

Rosemary's Baby
Fright Night (original)
Evil Dead 2
Nosferatu
Re-Animator
The Amityville Horror (original)
Day of the Dead
Friday the 13th
Hellraiser
Scream
Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer
Invasion of the Body Snatchers
Night of the Living Dead
The Omen
The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari

Goon Favorites

The Host
The House of the Devil
Stake Land
Fido
Oculus
You're Next
From Dusk Till Dawn
The Hole (2009)
Tucker & Dale vs. Evil
The Innkeepers
Nightbreed: Director's Cut
Horns
Let the Right One In
We Are What We Are
Bad Milo!
V/H/S
V/H/S 2
Pontypool
The Awakening
Arachnophobia
The Legend of Hell House
Funny Games
Ju-on: The Grudge
eXistenZ
The Lair of the White Worm
The Toxic Avenger
Poultrygeist: Night of the Chicken Dead
Nightmares in Red, White and Blue - (Documentary)
Nightmare Factory - (Documentary

B-Movies

Black Sabbath
April Fool's Day
Frankenstein and the Monster from Hell (Hammer Horror)
Black Sunday
Bay of Blood
Satan's Little Helper
Jack Frost
The Fly (1958)

Love it or Hate it

American Mary
The Blair Witch Project
The Conspiracy
Devil
Escape From Tomorrow
Grave Encounters 2
Jug Face
The ABCs of Death
Human Centipede
Human Centipede 2

Sequels Worth Mentioning

Friday the 13th series
Scream series
A Nightmare on Elm Street 2
Hellraiser 2

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Feb 24, 2015

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Chichevache posted:

Sup, TFF homie with a sissy spouse. :smith::hf::black101:

A yup, she's good about watching / tolerating everything else but that. Each their own I guess.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

That Works posted:

A yup, she's good about watching / tolerating everything else but that. Each their own I guess.

Same here. She loves Only God Forgives though, so I think I'm keeping her.

Short Penguin
Jun 1, 2010

Chichevache posted:

Same here. She loves Only God Forgives though, so I think I'm keeping her.

That movie is amazing. One of Ryan Gosling's best roles after Drive.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

The Babadook scream is really, really jarring if you played a bunch of video games in the 90's

Power Rangers too. I wanna say the Green Ranger's dragon robot made that same sound?

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!

Jonny Angel posted:

Power Rangers too. I wanna say the Green Ranger's dragon robot made that same sound?

That it does: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ug6IdPRYoIM

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

It's pretty much the Wilhelm Scream of 90's nerd poo poo.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
Does he play a knife like a flute to summon his Dragonzord, because if so that's a fuckin sweet detail that I'm sad I forgot about

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Indeed he does.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Short Penguin posted:

That movie is amazing. One of Ryan Gosling's best roles after Drive.

Yup! And it is currently on Netflix!

Mr. Toodles
Jun 22, 2004

I support prison abolition, except for posters without avatars.
Nightwatch and Daywatch on Netflix are pretty fun Russian imports. I watched Daywatch first because Netflix kept recommending it to me (don't know why they recommend the sequel of something when the first is also available). Pretty good effects and they play around with the subtitles to reflect what is happening.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Oh American Mary. I really don't like excessive gore, but that movie is just so loving weird I actually enjoyed it...and I felt really ashamed afterwards.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

Franchescanado posted:

Goon Favorites

The Host

This is the korean movie by the way, not the movie based on the book. The movie is also a lot of fun and is more horror comedy than straight horror.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Leper Residue posted:

This is the korean movie by the way, not the movie based on the book. The movie is also a lot of fun and is more horror comedy than straight horror.

Also, The Host is not really a "goon favorite", that movie got rave reviews across the board from people I know and critics alike.

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Oh American Mary. I really don't like excessive gore, but that movie is just so loving weird I actually enjoyed it...and I felt really ashamed afterwards.

I love that movie and I also love that the most disturbing things in it aren't gory at all (Betty Boop :gonk: )

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

precision posted:

Also, The Host is not really a "goon favorite", that movie got rave reviews across the board from people I know and critics alike.

I love that movie and I also love that the most disturbing things in it aren't gory at all (Betty Boop :gonk: )

Yeah it was the highest grossing south korean film of all time for like 8 years or something.

Still though, people should watch it!

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Movies expiring on March 1 that might be worth checking out:

The Charlie Chaplin Collection actually expires March 15 but it's good ol' Charlie doing his Chaplin thing!

The Elephant Man is a David Lynch film about the Elephant Man.

The Ice Storm is an Ang Lee film about white people in the 1970s in a cold location. It has an ensemble cast!

Detention has received universal acclaim in this thread, so catch it soon or forever hold your peace!

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I avoided watching it for quite a while because the cover made it look way campier than it actually is. I enjoyed it quite a bit. It is weird as hell.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Also expiring on the 1st:
Thief (1981)
Dogtown & Z-Boys
The Ropes (series, 2012)
Black Rain (1989)
Dread (2009)
Death Warrant (JCVD, 1990)
The Possession (2012)
Can't Hardly Wait
The Hamiltons
The Final (2010)
The Glass House (2001)
Unrest (2006)
The Reeds
The Graves
Penny Dreadful (2006)

And Higanjima is expiring on the 2nd.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Citizenfour was just added to hbogo. It won the award for best doc last night. It's pretty good it's about snowden and all the Nsa poo poo, pretty chilling stuff.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Anybody that hasn't seen Elephant Man needs to get on that before it expires.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Detention has received universal acclaim in this thread, so catch it soon or forever hold your peace!
I just watched 3/4 of that poo poo punchline snark fest. gently caress that movie. It does not take a wild turn. It does not hide a secret hilarity. It's a script assembled by tweets.

best review on Netflix:

quote:

i feel dumber for watching this messed up piece of garbage,but it's perfect for the youth of today they're a bunch of useless dumb morons anyway

magnificent7 fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Feb 24, 2015

Short Penguin
Jun 1, 2010

Mr. Toodles posted:

Nightwatch and Daywatch on Netflix are pretty fun Russian imports. I watched Daywatch first because Netflix kept recommending it to me (don't know why they recommend the sequel of something when the first is also available). Pretty good effects and they play around with the subtitles to reflect what is happening.

Oh man, these movies are great. I'm a big fan of the books, and they stay pretty true to them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.
Desperado, Robin Hood: Men In Tights, Cool Runnings, and most importantly The Adventures of Baron Munchausen are also all leaving on the 1st.