Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

elestupendojudio posted:

Has anyone said Daredevil in here? Because I am loving this poo poo. Do recommend heartily.

Yeah it was pretty rad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

coyo7e posted:

It's the most distilled crime-horror movie about one-upmanship or brinkmanship that I can think of. Are there any other movies where it's just a tete a tete between two individuals, and things are flipped around that often? I am thinking of stuff like Se7en (oh hey, I never noticed that it's got a 7 in it - I stole the idea from Stephenson sorry!) but that and most of the similar movies I can think of, really don't have things flip over more than once, and usually the protagonist is either still in a position of authority, or they're effectively being gaslighted by the antagonist.

Oldboy sorta fits the bill?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

fishtobaskets posted:

My favorite is The Man from Nowhere. The part where we discover the protagonist might be more than he seems is probably my favorite scene in any movie in the past 5 years. The fight choreography is sublime throughout, too.

This ,A Company Man and New World were all pretty good.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Lito and his boyfriend have some of the funnier scenes so far.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

I just got through the Sense8 episode with the 4 non-blonde's singalong and it was adorable, favorite scene in the show so far.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

"I can't drive":ohdear:
"I can!" :D

That owned.

And yeah Capheus is boss like said above, everytime he shows up he's like "how cool is this poo poo guys?"

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

I do like later on when Lito actually starts helping people out. His character becomes cooler all the time.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Autists really like trains right? Maybe that's why we cant talk about Snowpiercer.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

A MIRACLE posted:

What are some good action thrillers I should check out? I've watched every comedy on Netflix I think. I like movies like shooter, and basically anything with Liam neeson

If you're willing to stray from western cinema there's a ton more in that genre like "The Killer" mentioned, which everyone should see.

A Company Man, New World and a few others I can't think of just this second are also good in that vein.

Edit: Outrage, Beyond Outrage, Sonatine and The Blind Swordsman Zatoichi

That Works fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Jun 11, 2015

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Just watched Nightcrawler on the recommendation of the thread. Woah. Really good and the car chase was actually really well done especially with the police scanner dialogue running during the chase, made it come across really nicely.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

NESguerilla posted:

I'm not trying to hate on Bill cause it was a kids show and a pretty good one, but I tried to watch it and it and thought it was pretty grating. Reminded me of the "so proud to be a nerd" writers and people on my Facebook that act way too excited and make zany jokes and post "I loving love science" and George Takai links all day. I think they sapped their whole personalities from this show.

You can spot real scientists. They are generally fairly well adjusted people who have some social skill yet choose not to exercise it because they are either A: behind on several deadlines at once or B: have developed a finely tuned misanthropy cultivated over a period of years due to interaction with academic or private management, funding agencies and/or undergraduate students.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

coyo7e posted:

Oh drat, son! How many years did/have you worked in some sort of research-based and grant-funded org? :laugh:

My favorite are the ones who spend so much time out of their actual supposed office and study, that they can buy a couple of entirely different furniture sets for their "home" office' stomping grounds, before they ever show up to actually be in the office. And the hipster bicyclist scientists who leave their bikes leaning against the wall inside the building's carpeted hallways because they can't be assed to lock them up 5 feet outside. of the glass wall, like their employees. :snoop:

10 years or so at this point. :suicide:

We have the rear end in a top hat that rides his bike down the hall from the elevator to his office. Praying silently for his demise and also his office space.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

GonSmithe posted:

Oh nice, they made it the PS4 layout.

I was about to say...

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Just watched "Antarctica: A Year on Ice" and its a really fun documentary about spending a year in Antarctica and the people who live and work there. It's really good. Lots of beautiful shots and a lot of fun people commentary.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Sergeant_Crunch posted:

Antarctica: A Year On Ice is great and worth a watch. It's a good look at what happens day to day on an Antarctic base, and the part about antarctic winters is really loving cool. There's entire months of darkness out there that people live and work in and it's cool to see what that does to people.

Yup. Posted about this recently. Beautiful scenery and a fun little documentary that isn't environmental or political doom and gloom. Just examining how people live and adapt in a crazy environment.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Cocoa Ninja posted:

I swapped out our baby Beethoven tapes for the audio of Alien to play to our baby in-utero. Start them early, am I right?

Although should I be concerned I'm encouraging a c-section?

:laffo:

lost it at this.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

LogisticEarth posted:

Yeah, the "twist" took all the interest out of the show. It was like trading off the whole premise for a cheap shock reveal. For those not looking to waste time with it:

The ship is actually still on Earth. It's just a big enclosed environment and everyone just thinks they're in space. The outside world in 2014 or whenever is exactly unchanged. The purpose of the mission, unbeknownst to the crew, is to breed a new level of human capable of warping people across the universe with psychokinetic powers or something. The miniseries ends on a cliffhanger and not much is resolved. The premise had some potential but it looks like it got gutted and reworked too many times to be a coherent experience.

The plot twist at the very end was pretty neat but totally not worth the experience of sitting through the entire series to get there.

Fortunately I found it an easy show to run in the background while I was editing / grading papers.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Chichevache posted:

You sound like a good dad to me, except for wasting their time with Indy and Star Wars (yeah, I went there, goons. Come at me.).

If you can't see Raiders of the Lost Ark as a quality as gently caress action movie then I'm not sure what to say.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Chichevache posted:

You must have overcooked it then. How was the movie?

:golfclap:

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Rough Lobster posted:

Speaking of Justified, is it good? Heard real mixed things but I'm down with the whole lawman with a six shooter deal.

Yeah it's a pretty entertaining show.

It has a few ups and downs plot wise, just kinda had a few arcs that were a little more boring than the rest but overall it's totally worth it.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

LogisticEarth posted:

Speaking of Justified and westerns, the 4th season of Hell on Wheels was added on Netflix recently. It's generally a solid western frontier story with a good dash of Civil War aesthetic thrown in. It's highly dramatized/fictionalized of course, but all in all I think the quality of the show has maintained itself.

I was glad to see there was a new season up because I just wrapped up season 3 of Sons of Anarchy and that turned out to be a bit of a slog to get through. Should I forge ahead? I've heard negative things about the quality of the show as it drags on.

Did season 4 get any better? I enjoyed the 1st season but gave up after 4-5 episodes of the 2nd season and from reading the above the 3rd season sounds terrible.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

If you want to make an effective antiwar film then you at least have to kill off all of your main characters throughout the story to have any hope of bringing the point home these days.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Cocoa Ninja posted:

Counterpoint: scarface. That guy ends up face down in a pool under a sign that says "do you see the tragic, obvious conclusion of this character's struggle?" and gangsters still love it.

It all builds up to an epic death though and makes him look like a badass even if his own greed put him into that position.

I'm thinking more along the lines of typical war movie plot then the supposed MC of the show just dies suddenly because of an IED or friendly fire or something, then go along with another character and repeat process.

I don't think It'd be a great film but if you wanted to show something that would maybe make people think more poorly about the subject showcase many of the characters being killed by trivial or preventable mistakes etc.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Hat Thoughts posted:

I dunno if you're gonna get the audience you'd want for your aggressively depressing war film, although that might just be reductive thinking.

Yeah I don't think it would be well viewed or anything just saying if you wanted to have one that was effective and not glorifying then you need to have it be more tragic than something like Full Metal Jacket

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

precision posted:

Well NOW what am I supposed to watch, thread?!

Well The Killer is still up on Netflix so you could catch a good John Woo one there.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

I finally watched Hurt Locker for the 1st time and I didn't think it was good at all.

Seen lots of war movies etc, don't much care if the point was trying to be anti war or glorifying it or anything. Also, I'm not one to nitpick details etc either but almost everything they guys did in the movie seemed massively unrealistic. It's like they never had radio contact with anyone ever or tried to report in what they were doing / what was happening to them and that's ignoring the main characters willing lack of communication. The movie itself was shot well and the scenes / scenery looked great but anytime something in the plot was happening I was just thinking "no way these guys are this dumb"

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Magnus Gallant posted:

I didn't have these feelings at all when I watched the movie and maybe you expected too much when you went into it

I didn't expect much at all, just saw it pop up and was like "oh right I still haven't watched that yet"

It was just not really great, like I'm surprised it was really even considered for awards or anything. Was it a weak crop of movies that year?

Just mostly the dudes doing things in the movie seemed pretty dumb and I'm not in the military at all. Just seemed like if you were pinned down by a sniper with multiple deaths you'd like... call in for support or something? Felt like a contrived scene just to build a relationship between the 3 characters.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Basebf555 posted:

Yea I'm feeling the same way but I haven't yet figured out what extremely potent drug/alcohol cocktail will be most helpful in seeing me though the experience.

Half a bottle of whisky and half of opiates.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Jason X / Event Horizon

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Basebf555 posted:

Jason X works better with another iconic horror villain in space. So either Leprechaun in Space or Hellraiser Bloodline.

Hmmmm... Yeah good point. Both of those would be fun.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

The_Rob posted:

Everyone just skip Rocky horror and go to Phantom of the paradise. It's better in every way.

Never seen it

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

NESguerilla posted:

Purple rain was the first time I ever tits. My friends uncle was watching it on tv and I was waking through the living room and bam. Tits. I stopped dead in my tracks and he looked at me with a poo poo eating and said "you like them titties ese'? Hahahaha". I yelled "no" and ran out of the room.

So you self identified as a Goon pretty early huh

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Lord of War just got added to Netflix. If you want to see a great, underrated little movie featuring Nicholas Cage as an international arms dealer, check it out. Just a bitingly cynical protest movie of the kind you don't see very often anymore. Passionate to the point of occasional clumsiness, but at least it's passionate.

Oh cool, I had been meaning to catch this sometime soon, glad to know that it's up.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Wiggles Von Huggins posted:

I think that people forget he was an insane wild man when he first started. Basically he is now known for his acting in hundreds of lovely films that he did just for the money. It's kind of a bummer that he is a punchline now when he can still do some interesting acting.

I just chalked it up to bad agent or him just needing the money. Christopher Walken played in a lot of lovely movies too.

I loved Cage in some things though like 8mm where I thought he and Joaquin Phoenix were really underrated. Or Bringin out the Dead for that matter.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

So finally got around to it and watched Lord of War. I regret not watching it sooner. It's a really nice film overall. Nothing staggeringly great but no real weak points to it either. I thought it was a pretty solid flick.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I'm home sick and my sleep schedule is s all messed up due to fever and what not. I need something to watch. I think I'd like a non-maudlin historical film. Amazon or Netflix. Thank you for the recommendation.

Chinatown is on netflix right now.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

glad people are watching that movie, kinda landed with a thud when it first came out

I was wondering why I didnt hear more positive about it after watching it last night for the 1st time and I vaguely remember the trailers / commercials for it making it come across as more of a glitzy glamorous Nic Cage country hopping and unrepentantly being a sleazy arms dealer. Basically that's what the movie was but the ads didn't really pick up on any of the nuances of the film that made it interesting.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Lord Of War came out theatrically while I was still evacuated for Hurricane Katrina, so it wasn't on my radar at all until a couple months later when I got back in town and rented it from the only Blockbuster in the area that was open. It owned. I remember leaving the DVD menu on for a while after I watched it the first time because I was mystified by how cool it looked.

Oh poo poo you know that's exactly why I didn't pick up much on it either. Was still pretty shell-shocked and going back and forth helping family. Never realized it till you mentioned it.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

precision posted:

It's probably Hawke's best performance, but I say that as someone who doesn't like the Before Sunrise trilogy (though, paradoxically, I love everything else Linklater has ever done, though Boyhood was a bit of a letdown).

It was good but I like him better in training day even though Denzel was killing every scene.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Jalumibnkrayal posted:

Wolfman's got nards!

Hahahh thats the exact scene I remembered as well