Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Basebf555 posted:

Yea I'm a movie guy, so I've been disappointed with Netflix recently, but its tough to say I'm not getting my money's worth if I'm going to watch House of Cards and Daredevil this month. That's two potentially great seasons of t.v. for less than 10 bucks.

Same here although I've managed to find movies more often than not still.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

hemale in pain posted:

When i first heard about it I honestly thought it was going to be freaking awful. Like, what can you do with this jokey lawyer guy?

I wasn't expecting it to be a prequel at all. And yeah it's been really good, lotsa interesting characters.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Thwomp posted:

The Mike episodes felt so much like BB that I think they felt almost incongruous with BCS. They are such a different tone and style. Still good, just belonged in BB proper more than BCS.

The Mike episodes are what really got me into it even more. He was always an interesting character and they did a great job with his backstory.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

lmao the flashpoint paradox is edgy as poo poo, gg DC

That whole thing was just bananas and weird and was kinda funny that the flash was gay for no reason.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

girth brooks part 2 posted:

Them realizing how bad the name sucked, and then trying to push the tagline "Live Die Repeat" as the new title after it was already released is one of the stranger marketing disasters I've seen.

It's a fun movie. If the idea of Tom Cruise dying repeatedly and gruesomely while attempting to stop an alien invasion sounds remotely appealing you should probably give it a watch.

They pull it off really well too and credit to Tom Cruise for playing such a jerk of a character at the beginning to really sell it.

There are some legitimate laugh out loud black comedy moments in the film and the rest of it is decent enough action / sci-fi plot. It's a good movie all in all.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

feedmyleg posted:

Joe vs. The Volcano is loving awesome. But it's got some problems. Well worth watching, though.

Marketing New Brain posted:

It didn't deserve its status as a complete bomb, but I've never seen anyone this enthusiastic about it.

I loved it. It's adorable and silly and Meg Ryan is awesome along with Hanks. It's a really odd flick all in all, just never take it seriously for a moment and it's a lot of fun.

Lots of quotable stuff in it that sticks in my head years later for some reason.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

red19fire posted:

Wow, Bosch is like a who's who of The Wire alumni.

Titus Welliver is amazing, show is great.

Yeah, I really enjoyed it as well.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

What do ya'll think of Black Sails? I have the Starz subscription added on to Amazon Prime and am curious if it's worth checking out.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

nate fisher posted:

I got Starz for a month, and binged every episode in a month or so. Overall I really liked it, and I will get Starz again when the new season starts. To be clear it is not HBO level, but it the favorite thing I have watched on Starz outside of Spartacus. If you have even a slight interest in pirates it is worth it.

Also you do know that Black Sails is a prequel to Treasure Island?

I didn't know that!

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

nate fisher posted:

Not to get too spoiler, but there is an overall story arch about a certain character's rise. Knowing what happens in Treasure Island makes it a little more fun.

I recognized a name from Treasure Island, but just kinda thought it was a hat tip to the story. Cool.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

fishtobaskets posted:

I feel pretty much the same way. I thought all the individual performances were solid, and it's an important story to tell, but the pacing felt a little weird and the narrative arc fizzled more than it should have. Compare it to Spotlight, which had similar strengths, but also presented a taut, tense narrative and a denouement that left me crying in the theater.

I felt the same as well. I liked the individual characters and scenes but some of the 4th wall breaking narrative stuff (Margot Robbie random cameo) just felt unnecessary and like they were trying to make the movie "different" just for the sake of being different. It didn't add anything to the story or plot (which were both very good). Felt like a clumsy director decision that probably should have had an editor remove.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Franchescanado posted:

I liked those scenes. They were always delivered during the most dense part of the exposition, and were used to define terms and factors that I wasn't aware of, so it provided a tongue-in-cheek break that added information. Margot Robbie just happened to be the pretty face they chose (and now she's everywhere).

What bugged me was that they already had a narrator, they could have done the explanation easily enough with just that. Instead it was a complete segue to something else that had no bearing on the story to explain something that did. Just seemed a bit silly and hamfisted.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

fishtobaskets posted:

I wonder some of the other well-received movies/shows that have used this 80's throwback style will suffer in hindsight. Drive, The Guest, It Follows, and House of the Devil are a few that I can think of. I know I enjoyed all of them immensely at the time, even after I was aware it had become a fad. I haven't seen Stranger Things yet so I can't speak to its quality, but I think you're right about 80's nostalgia becoming overdone.

Halt and Catch Fire. Although there it is pretty much integral to the plot and such so I think it's valid.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

I remember watching Superman 1 as an adult and remember the opening credits just being A list after A list actor of two generations.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

The books are fun

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

I know it's old news for this thread but I finally got around to giving Longmire a look and drat. That is a good show so far. Am just a third of the way into season 2 and really enjoying it.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Filthy Hans posted:

It's overall a very good show, Lou Diamond Phillips in particular just crushes it out of the park, unfortunately the younger characters (except for Katie Sackhoff, who's not really that young anyway) aren't nearly as well-played as their elders. Some of the single-episode mysteries are really well done, too.

Yeah I've been surprised with Lou Diamond Phillips so far, he's done well there. Katie Sackhoff's character has been good so far. She's really good at the reaction responses to Walt all the time. I felt like she's been real solid into season 2.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

precision posted:

Halt and Catch Fire season 3 is up on the Flix. So far it's just as good as season 2.

Season 3 was real good. That's a show that improved the whole way out. There are 1-2 eps towards the end of season 3 that sort of distill what each character is truly about that are pretty drat good.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

old.flv posted:

S2 of goliath is just :stare:

I'm enjoying it but it has no connection to S1. It's two completely different shows.

There's a little bit but just totally different villains / case. It starts out good but gets meh towards the end. Whole thing feels more poorly written, not as tight of a story as the 1st. I enjoyed it but the 1st was really good and this ended up being just average TV.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

10 Beers posted:

Anyone recommend any good British detective shows? I've watched Luther, Vexed, Sherlock, and Broadchurch. Tried to get into Marcella but it didn't grab me. Also have Bosch and Longhorn on my watch list, though those arent British.

Seconding The Fall.

Also, watch Bosch asap

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Mammal Sauce posted:

After I finished Longmire and Bosch, someone here recommended Justified (Amazon Prime) and after watching it, I highly recommend it too.

Hell yeah.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

13Pandora13 posted:

I'm looking for something cinematically beautiful, and emotionally desolate. Like Pan's Labyrinth (great) or Tale of Tales (ehhhn, but is the right vein).

You watch all the Sergio Leone westerns on prime?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

13Pandora13 posted:

A western is not going to scratch the itch I have.

I'm not articulating this well I think. I'm looking for something kind of fantastical but not in a pleasant way.

Legend is on Prime iirc

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Valhalla Rising

good call

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

a sexual elk posted:

I can’t stand that wailing chick music over every cut scene in the first season.

Ugh god yes and the opening narration of every episode was like a 'too dramatic' reading of the script or something. I liked the 1st 2 seasons though but there were some minor annoying bits. Glad to know S3 is even better.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Frog Act posted:

Nightcrawler really came out of nowhere for me and is one of the most memorable films of the past five years. It really, really reminds me of the first half of Repo Man which is my favorite movie of all time.

Also I’m watching Deadwood on Prime for the first time and it is much better than I expected. Is that true for Boardwalk Empire too? I’m a sucker for period pieces

Boardwalk Empire was good. It changed as it went on in interesting ways. I'd say it's almost as good as Deadwood but spread out a little bit more and no one as quotable and powerful a presence as Swearingen in it. There were a couple smaller arcs that just weren't as interesting but more than made up for by some badass stuff.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Junkie Disease posted:

Ant-Man and Wasp felt like a good Flubber remake no one asked for

Hah that's a pretty good take on it.

The father / daughter / family aspect sets it apart from the rest of the marvel films IMO. They are both pretty fun.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Iron Crowned posted:

Do I need to see Ant-Man before I watch this one?

No but its good too in basically the same ways.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Frog Act posted:

I know it’s kinda old at this point but how is The Fall? Gillian Anderson owns but I never hear about it

First 2 seasons were very good then it got slow and I didn't finish the 3rd yet.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

I grew up in the area and time that TD season 1 early murders were set in. It was super nostalgic and well done. Great show.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

air- posted:

The Handmaiden on prime. Latest over the top revenge movie from Park Chan Wook

Oh snap thanks for this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

i'm looking for a horror movie on netflix
- with a supernatural monster
- that isn't a zombie or a ghost or some other bullshit that could be accomplished by putting an extra in make-up
- recent-ish
- not complete trash
- leaning more towards serious than horror-comedy

Something like The Ritual, Borderlands / Final Prayer, Spring, or even the rubber-suit antics of something like The Monster would qualify, but I've seen all of those.

Stranger Things seems to tick those boxes I guess? 1st thing that came to mind at least.