Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

I'm going to recommend Maidentrip, a chronicle of Dutch teenager Laura Dekker's solo circumnavigation of the globe in a 40 foot sailboat, a journey that took place in the period where she was ages 14-16 (it was not a nonstop trip, she took lengthy stops at the end of each ocean crossing to travel and visit, make repairs etc.).

When I first heard about this when it was happening (I am a sailor, although I only do very casual sailing) I, like most people, thought her parents were insane to encourage or allow such a thing, and in an objective sense, I think that is still true. Not just because of the dangers of the voyage itself, although there is that, but also because how many 14 year olds can endure the emotional toll of being alone, in a potentially dangerous situation, for weeks or months at a time?

After watching the film I have to say that even though the endeavor was still insane, I have a significant admiration for Laura and her father. The film is mostly composed of "selfie" type video made by Laura during the journey, with some good editing and extra production added (nice animations illustrating the legs of the journey).

Interspersed in the shallow teenager type of talk there does emerge a real philosophy of life, sailing, solitude and the sea in Laura's narration that, in my view, is much more profound and moving than anything I expected out of the film, and that is the beauty of it. You can clearly from the narrative that Laura is a pretty unique person and that the idea and the motivation for the journey is hers, her father's role is not to drive it but to facilitate and allow it.

The sailor in me is hungry for very specific details about the preparations and repairs and the mechanics of the trip but that is not what the film is about. A little of this can be gleaned just from visual details that can be seen during the film, such as the fact that she is pretty much (prudently) wearing a sail harness at all times, and the type of instrumentation on the vessel can be seen. In addition the beautiful travelogue type video of the ocean, the best part of the film is Laura's explanation of the kind of person she is and of her motivations for doing such a thing. The dynamics between Laura and her family are pretty interesting (her parents are divorced), some of it is discussed explicitly and some of it is left for the viewer to read between the lines such as the emotional tension she seems to experience while awaiting the arrival of her father who came to visit and help with repairs during her stop in Australia.

This is certainly fascinating viewing for anyone into sailing and the ocean, like I am, but it also has something for anyone interested in what makes those rare people tick who seek out a life of adventure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Man with the Iron Fists is just dull, and bad. It looked potentially awesome as a preview but the reality is horribly disappointing. So many cool ingredients too. It's not entertainingly bad, either. Just bad bad.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Eh that skippable blog is just too much text.

For someone like stickyfngrdboy who is trying to determine if the show is at all good, watch a few of the very best and most entertaining episodes. If you can't enjoy those I can say the show is definitely not for you.

For me, Clyde Bruckman's Final Repose is the absolute best. It strikes a cool balance between humor (it's mostly funny) and real darkness, much as the show itself does over its run. It has one of the best guest roles ever by Peter Boyle and has incredible witty dialogue especially for the Bruckman character.

Also notable in the "funny" category:

Small Potatoes
Bad Blood
Jose Chung's "From Outer Space"
Humbug
Die Hand die Verletzt
(this is kind of a mix of funny and spooky)

Scary/Eerie/Unsettling:

Irresistible
Paper Hearts
The Host
Home

Really, if you can watch Clyde Bruckman and a few of the others and not be entertained or impressed, you've seen the best of the show and it's just not your cup of tea. But if you don't watch any of these and judge the show, you've missed out.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

ravenkult posted:

Can I get some recs for movies similar to Rear Window? I've seen Body Double, Disturbia and The Burbs.

Also any movies about secluded cabins, houses, wilderness and so on.

Severance.

Zwabu fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Mar 31, 2015

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

blood_dot_biz posted:

The acting is pretty spotty, but I honestly still found the whole thing enthralling.

Yeah I really liked it but mainly because I'm really interested in aviation safety, crisis management and all that.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

magnificent7 posted:

JFK was so many levels of batshit insane fun.

National treasure Kevin Bacon lays down the truth bomb:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrfZgrPbpAA

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

After all this time I finally watched the original Wet Hot American Summer. A bit uneven but I liked it. The crackhouse/shooting gallery scene alone is a great belly laugh and worth the price of admission by itself. It is rather amazing to identify all the various cast members who have struck it big since.

Nthing the recommendations to definitely watch Kung Fu Hustle (and the other Stephen Chow flicks, Shaolin Soccer and God of Cookery too), Nightcrawler, and definitely Taxi Driver if it's still up.

Edit: And yeah, watch The Conversation, too. A classic.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

For those of you who like Stephen Chow's stuff (Kung Fu Hustle, Shaolin Soccer), there is an older film of his called King of Comedy on Netflix.

He plays his typical underdog loser character who's trying to break into film acting but can only work as an extra, usually with disastrous results.

There are homage/parodies of John Woo and Bruce Lee films in there that are hysterical. It's a bit less funny than his best stuff as a good portion is devoted to the sappy romance at the center of the film, but worth a watch if you like Stephen Chow.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Okay I need stuff that's on Amazon Prime to watch while engaged in the tedious activity of aerobic exercise. Amazon Prime specifically because it's the only one that lets you download and watch, because I can't get wifi where I work out (first world problems).

Movies of any genre, series, whatever you recommend.

I've watched Man in the High Castle. I started watching Alpha House but kind of lost interest after a few episodes. I've watched a few episodes of Veep and that seems about my speed. I've already seen the Sopranos and The Wire.

Tell me if Mr. Robot (the USA network series) is any good.

A lot of stuff on Prime that I'd be interested in are things I've already seen. I'm trying to make myself watch new things.

Since it's not too hard to download stuff off YouTube, any good movie recommendations that are there would be appreciated as well.

Any good TV series, especially with one hour episodes, would be ideal as I could do one episode with each workout.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

fliptophead posted:

I'm at home sick and have been getting through Red oaks and mad dogs which are both pretty good. Red oaks is a half hour story about a guy working at a country club in the 80s and is pretty funny, mad dogs is about a bunch of guys who get invited to their friend's mansion in Belize and things go a little crazy when the friend borrows a boat. These should get you through a few workouts.

Thanks!

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

The best part of Burn After Reading is the triangular foam gently caress pillow.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

neonnoodle posted:

Snake Eyes is pretty good. It's on Netflix. It's just the right mixture of Serious Actor Nicolas Cage and Batshit Insane Nicolas Cage.

Eh it's mostly Batshit Insane Nic Cage, but it's good fun.

Snake Eyes is the most de Palma movie that ever de Palma'ed. You've got every indulgence of his going on there.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

re Green Room:

I want to know what you have to do to get the red shoelaces.

Also, I enjoyed that the first song in the band's set was "Nazi Punks gently caress Off" and the Nazi Punks were torn between being pissed and rocking out.

I rather liked the fact that there's a whole clear cut standard operating procedure for Disposing of the Unfortunate Losers Who Saw Too Much, and it's probably been used a few times. It was kind of chilling.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Put me down for a "It Follows" is tedious/boring and most importantly, not scary at all, vote.

So I've noticed that Netflix has bowed to pressure from Amazon and added the ability, at least on my iPad app, to download shows/movies for offline viewing.

Does anyone know whether there is a time limit on how long you can keep the file or view it? Does the Android app allow for the same?

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

we are the Funyuns posted:

This is a little specific, but anyone know of any horror, action or sci-fi movies streaming on Amazon, Hulu or Netflix where people are trapped in a building, ship, spaceship, etc.?

A few random examples I can think of:

Intruder (1989)
Cube
Alien
Event Horizon
Descent
Saw and sequels
Deep Rising
Green Room
Devil
Frozen (stuck on ski lift, not Disney)
Some (German?) Alien rip-off with lots of sex that was on Hulu for a long time

Hell, even The Glass House or Panic Room.

Would prefer good or so-bad-its-good (like the Alien rip-off) suggestions. I just like movies where the characters are trapped in some way.

As far as straight up action hero movies go, the original Die Hard, and its rip off Under Siege (which is a well done rip off).

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

A Clockwork Orange is on Amazon Prime and The Shining is on Netflix, for Kubrick fans.

And for anyone who hasn't seen this, particularly A Clockwork Orange, get on that!

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Rough Lobster posted:

Is Existenz actually good? I like Scanners, Videodrome, The Dead Zone, and The Fly. I thought A History of Violence and Eastern Promises were pretty OK.

Back to Existenz, I've seen a few parts of it and it seemed kind of bad and somehow looked more dated than earlier films. Is it actually worth watching?

It's good and you should see it.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Ammanas posted:

It's worth watching for the tooth gun scene in the Chinese restaurant alone.

Yeah. Talk about your body horror. And chew on that phrase I just quoted, and what kind of scene it might describe, then watch the movie.

I don't think the movie is retro about games at all, the game they are playing is of a sort we don't even have yet.

Agreed that it feels more like Videodrome than any other Cronenberg film.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

tweet my meat posted:

What are some of the best east asian action flicks up on streaming right now?

The Good, The Bad, and The Weird (Netflix)
The Host (Netflix)

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Steve Yun posted:

You should watch Memories of Murder anyways

Yeah. And even though I really like Zodiac, after watching MoM I feel like a lot of it got cribbed by Zodiac.

Also, Goliath is the most Billy Bob thing ever. It felt a little over the top to me several episodes in but I should probably just finish it. I think the William Hurt character, with all his tics, felt too gimmicky to me and I got annoyed, but I do enjoy Billy Bob doing his thing.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Chappie is quite good and worth a watch. It had one of the worst trailer/marketing campaigns ever that made it look absolutely awful. I was really pleasantly surprised.

The sequence where chappie boosts all the cars makes me laugh out loud, hard.

Hubbardologist posted:

Aw yeah Michael Clayton went up on Netflix today. Such a good low key, slow-burn thriller.

This is really good for anyone who likes a solid drama. I absolutely love the scene between him and the hit-and-run client. Great scene and totally establishes the main character and the dirty lovely jobs he is sent to do.

In real life I don't think a guy with a no-name law school pedigree like that character would ever have landed a job at a hoity toity firm like that unless he'd made a huge legend for himself doing other stuff on his own earlier though.

doctorthefonz posted:

I bounced off of Mindhunter after two episodes because all of the dialogue felt uncomfortably expository to such a degree that it was distracting. Does that change or at least eventually settle down? The Kemper actor seemed good, and I've always wanted to see him represented in film but it just felt boring in its predictability (being familiar with the real-life subject matter). The style is cool but the narrative feels weirdly rushed

I watched the whole thing but I'm with you. I was rather disappointed. I really wanted to like this show a lot, I like Fincher, I like serial killer and profiling stuff, I find all of that fascinating.

My beef was the way the two main characters deliver their dialogue feels really stilted and weird. And I just didn't really like the lead that much. As far as the plot goes, the individual cases seem way too straightforward. They are asked to help in a case. They pretty much head to the the guy who turns out to be the killer right away just about every time, way too linear. I realize it's a TV series and the episodes are shorter, but even if they had ONE case and the resolution of it was more interesting it would have been better IMO.

The one HUGE strength of the show is the Kemper character and the guy who plays him. If the rest of the show was half as good as him it would be really good.

I actually liked the BTK scenes, but it did come off as a bit of a tease that nothing actually happened with him in the first season. I felt maybe the final episode would have him maybe leaving the site of his first kill(s). I suppose the final scene of him burning all his binding/torture/killing sketches and drawings is him symbolically crossing the threshold from his fantasies into action, but... meh.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Timby posted:

This was such a common complaint about the movie and I honestly don't understand it. I had literally never heard of Die Antwoord in my entire life until everyone started bitching about them like six months before Chappie dropped.

Yeah I never heard of them either before seeing the movie, I thought they did a good job.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Alterian posted:

I thought this was sort of the point. To a modern audience its sort of a "no duh" who was responsible since we've had the benefit of knowing more about modern police work but for the time it was revolutionary.

Yeah but for me it doesn't make for interesting viewing, at all.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Ghost World is on STARZ and I really regret all the times I've missed watching this in the theater and on streaming. It's really good. It's a quirky indie feeling movie about quirky people but it's not just up its own rear end and cynical and smirky about all the characters, it has genuine affection for its main characters.

As to the poster who asked about movies that are good while working out: I just watched Wheelman from Netflix today while working out and it's perfect. I think seeing it in a theater or something would be annoying (it's mostly action that takes place in a car, but 99 percent of the drama comes from cell phone conversations and if I wasn't semi occupied/distracted by working out I think that part would have been more tiresome to me.

I actually feel like documentaries and documentary series, like the Ken Burns stuff on Vietnam, Civil War, WWII etc. are actually well suited for working out but that's me.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Also for the "what should I stream while working out": If you enjoy watching any game being streamed on Twitch, that's perfect for mindless working out diversion.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Allyn posted:

Memories of Murder has a little more dramatic license than Zodiac but is otherwise in a similar vein, and is based on a true story

I don't know if Fincher has ever acknowledged seeing Memories of Murder before making Zodiac but to me the tone and pacing of Zodiac feels as if it were lifted directly from the earlier movie, which is not to say it's not great, because it is.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Romper Stomper is on Prime (U.S.). I think this might be the first, or one of the first, roles that brought Russell Crowe to wide notice. A very young Russell Crowe plays the leader of a pack of skinheads. About half the film is a protracted street fight. It's pretty raw and violent, and rather good, I think!

Zwabu fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Jan 19, 2018

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Timby posted:

Just as a regular PSA, Ken Burns' The Civil War is still streaming on Netflix. Given how often the service hemorrhages licensed content, hop on that poo poo.

This is one thing that I think has been almost continuously available for years and years, I check on it from time to time (it's great, definitely watch it) and I don't recall it ever going away.

It's also available for free through PBS' own streaming apps/site as well.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

If you’re into watching people who are involved in extreme exploration kind of activities, “Diving Into The Unknown” on Netflix is a good one about a group of Finnish cave divers working to recover the bodies of two of their group who died... deep in a cave, underwater.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Blind Rasputin posted:

This is free on YouTube (not sure if posting he link is a grey area of pirated stuff or not, since it’s been up for a while) and I’m about halfway through. It’s really good. A) when they say $10,000 a month is that in yen? So like $1000 American dollars a month? B) holy moly the amount these guys drink. They must all end up cirrhotic and vomiting blood. C) I always wonder when and where/how the cultural appropriation of this like male Japanese rockband hair style started. It’s awful strange that all the men have the same haircut, and it’s in so many video games and comics as well. Western society went through that hair style in the 70s-80s and it’s odd that it’s so prominent in current day Japanese culture. Just wonder why it started is all.

I don’t feel like I’m to this big reveal yet though. We will have to see. It’s intertwining and interesting in its own right.

I’ll post the link to the YouTube if people are interested and it’s ok, but it’s the first hit anyways so.

It was on Netflix for a long while but not now. The YouTube version is kind of low res but it's worth a watch for sure.

For those who don't know, The Great Happiness Space is about "host bars" in Osaka, Japan. It's kind of a version of a strip bar except the "strippers" (hosts) are male and the clientele are women. And, as far as I can tell, there's no stripping.

The clients spend lots of free time there and lavish ridiculous amounts of money on the "hosts", buying them drinks etc. at no doubt ridiculous prices. In return for their company and some weird illusion of a relationship. In that aspect there is some resemblance to a strip bar in the U.S. and the stripper/punter dynamic.

There is a reveal late in the film that provides some insight into what is going on, and the needs being fulfilled (or not) are illuminated somewhat. But not completely.

I would describe the look of the hosts as a 70s David Bowie glam sort of style.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Oh, and along with Diving Into The Unknown, another really good documentary about crazy adventurers doing amazing extreme exploration is Meru (Netflix), about mountain climbers trying to be the first to scale the peak with that name.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

There is pretty much nothing on broadcast network TV that I want to watch anymore except maybe the occasional live sports event or news show. When I see an ad for a sitcom or other prime time show they all look ridiculously terrible and bland.

This is not to say that I'm not also wary of most of the offerings from streaming services and premium cable channels now, because I am. But at least I feel there's a decent chance that the show or film COULD be good and I don't require like ten people coming up to me telling me it's good unlike network TV.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Can someone explain what the deal with Shoutfactory is? Do they have commercials? How are they free?

It looks like the runtime of Decline of Western Civilization is about 20 minutes longer on Shoutfactory than on Starz.com but skimming through I'm not sure where this comes from.

I did see that The Stunt Man is on the site, it's been years since I've seen it and I remember it as being very good so I will give it a watch.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

married but discreet posted:

Memories of Murder is on Prime and probably one of the best movies, people should watch it.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

drunken officeparty posted:

I've been into the Civil War lately and saw that Netflix had a big ol' 10 part pbs documentary about it. Good god I'm falling asleep just typing about it. They need to start prescribing this to insomniacs.

Ken Burns’ The Civil War is both great and great to fall asleep to. There’s no shame in that.

But you should watch the parts that you slept through again when you are awake because it’s a great series.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

I don't feel like Ken Burns' The Civil War is unduly positive towards the Confederate cause at all. I wonder if people who think that even watched it.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Okay so I finally watched Demon Knight. That was certainly... something. Enjoyed it very much. I am sorry that Billy Zane didn't make it into more movies in general, and play more villains and homicidal maniacs in particular. I rewatched Dead Calm recently (on HBO currently) and really enjoyed it, Zane makes a perfect dark insane murderous villain and I wished the movie had taken things just that much further.

I also finally watched Drag Me To Hell and had a great time with it. Seemed a bit intense for a PG-13 film although I guess it kind of straddles that line.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

I just watched L.A. Confidential (currently on Netflix) for the first time (I think I'd caught snippets of it here and there on TV) and... Titanic won best picture that year? :wtc:

And in retrospect, the side plot about the rentboy actor and the Kevin Spacey character made me feel kind of... weird.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

After reading all the praise for I, Tonya on these here forums I bought the streaming rights on Amazon.

Really outstanding film. The performances by Robbie and Janney are both amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

10 Beers posted:

Anyone recommend any good British detective shows? I've watched Luther, Vexed, Sherlock, and Broadchurch. Tried to get into Marcella but it didn't grab me. Also have Bosch and Longmire on my watch list, though those arent British.

The original Prime Suspect with Helen Mirren.

It's on Hulu now. I might just consider subscribing just to be able to watch it again.

https://www.justwatch.com/us/tv-show/prime-suspect

Actually some of it appears to be on YouTube, you can at least check out S1E1 and see if it's for you (it is!):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnEPNmL8VGo

Zwabu fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Jun 22, 2018