Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I have no idea why I've never been able to get into LA Confidential but that movie doesn't do a thing for me. I'm not saying it's bad but I've watched it twice and both times I haven't been able to remember a single thing about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
There are plenty of reasons to think the Oscars are a crock but "movie I didn't like beat movie I liked" isn't really one of them

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

cat doter posted:

It's when they pick kinda bland crowd pleasers that I get annoyed, Titanic vs LA Confidential is a good example. One's a spectacle movie with a kinda lovely romance plot and the other is a full on noir that doesn't give a gently caress if you can't follow the plot and gets quite dark at points. That's not to belittle Titanic, it's an OK movie, but there's so much about it that's kinda middling and unremarkable.

It's still just all a matter of taste. you're still just saying "the Oscars are a crock because think this one movie is bland and this other movie isn't" which isn't a really compelling argument tome. I haven't even seen Titanic but I've seen alot of people around here say that it actually is really quite good. Also of the two movies it's the one that made far greater of a cultural impact.

The Oscars are a crock because of the patterns of what they reward and ignore, and rarely for any individual year. There are exceptions (Brokeback Mountain not even being viewed by alot of the judges is what killed the Oscars for me) but mostly the real badness of the whole thing is that you can look at a movie like Beasts of the Southern Wild, Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon or Black Swan and instantly say "well that's not going to win" and you'd know you'd be right. It's also the fact that you can look at a movie like Argo, Crash, Forrest Gump or Slumdog Millionaire and easily predict that they will win. Things like this shouldn't have an easily predictable pattern. Things like this shouldn't be able to symbolically give someone an award for a greater meaning outside of the merit of the work being considered. It's all about the way the whole machine operates and the fact that it somehow is a machine that makes this whole thing a crock. It's also the fact that as predictable as it all is that it's still subject to the shitheadedness of the old school elites that make up the voters. It's all of this and not just that the lesser film sometimes wins. That will always be true to someone no matter what wins.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
The King's Speech doesn't really deserve hate like Crash, but it really is such an uninteresting movie from pretty much every angle outside of the performances.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I think in general The King's Speech falls into my least favorite Oscar Bait category: Historical Biopic that tries to act like a moment of history or an aspect of an historical event was far more significant than it actually was. There are certainly FAR worse examples of this category though.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
War Horse is good.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Yep, so was Lincoln. I can't think of the last Spielberg that you could caricature.

The Terminal maybe? (I don't know, I never saw it but it seemed that way)

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

That Works posted:

How did ya'll feel about War Horse? I still haven't gotten around to seeing it but have meant to.

What Boogey said. It's not amazing but it's still pretty good and it's interesting. It's also just the type of war picture that isn't made anymore while still having the influence of the type of war movies that are made anymore. It wouldn't make my top ten Spielberg movies but that's more because the dude has an insane amount of awesome movies to choose from (with Minority Report being my favorite).

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Jenny Angel posted:

Since we're on the topic of documentaries, I'm in the market for one that features a central figure at least as preposterous as Billy Mitchell. Who you got?

Tabloid.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Oculus is not found footage.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
As for good found footage on Netflix, alot seems to not be there anymore but I can recommend Apartment 143, Europa Report and even Paranormal Activity: The Marked Ones. Also seconding The Den. There's probably more but I'm not sure what's up these days.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Also 1000 Ghost Street but be warned it's not actually a good movie, I just enjoyed it way more than I should have.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

100 Ghost Street is a good time but it is awful. I didn't like Paranormal Activity: Dark Mijo as much as I thought I would've.

I remember you were hyped as gently caress for it but I was the opposite and in the end I thought it was alright. Certainly worlds better than 4.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

However The Ghost Dimension will be good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9-EAETj3fo

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I like True Detective but not nearly as much as some people seem to. The things it does well it doest really loving well but those things makes the times things play out exactly like you've seen in every other version this story and the times where it feels a bit repetitive all the worse. Still calling it bad seems inaccurate at best. Even if you didn't connect with it it's so well done on just a acting and technical level that you still can't really call it bad.

As a side note I just want to mention I really did not like The Conspiracy. I've certainly seen worse found footage movies but that's more because I have seen some really impressively bad found footage movies. In general the use of real footage of people dying to back up it's fake conspiracy, even if it's rather common footage like 9/11, did not sit well with me. Even outside of that it just felt too close to what people actually believe when really it could have gone hog loving wild with it. Hell, it didn't even use the good stuff people actually believe. At least give me lizard people or something.

Harminoff posted:

wow what a good sci fi movie. It plays kind of like a tv show

These two sentiments don't really go together all that well in my mind.

axelblaze fucked around with this message at 04:40 on May 20, 2015

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Aw, I liked Hits. It's disappointing to see people hating it.

Speaking of movies I saw at Sundance and haven't heard from again until they popped up on Netflix, Killers appears to be up and I quite like that movie. It's by the guy who did the cult segment in V/H/S/2 that isn't Gareth Evans. If you like I Saw the Devil it kind of scratches that same itch (though I actually liked Killers more). I do feel I should mention the person that saw it with me loving hated it but your results may vary.

Also, I've been behind on this thread but is there any word why all the Comedy Central stuff seems to have been taken off of Prime. I was in the middle of watching stuff and want to know if it's gonna come back anytime soon or if I shoudl seek alterate methods of watching this stuff. A quick google search did not enlighten me about any of this.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

It just feels like someone, somewhere would mention that. There was mo indication at all this stuff was going way so it's just kind of annoying. Netflix gets poo poo for only warning like a month in advance and every time it loses anything the internet seems to throw a small fit so it's obnoxious that prime lost a huge amount if their content with no indication anywhere. Ah well, I guess that's one advantage to having a streaming service that isn't actually that popular.

After writing all that I'm now just waiting for it to be revealed the error is on my end or everything is actually back up.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I feel Hits is the movie God Bless America should have been.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Upstream Color is a weird movie that doesn't explain all the how, why and what of it's mechanics or whatever you'd call them but it's mostly straightforward and the how, why and what is kind of beside the point anyways.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I have literally hit the point multiple times where Netflix won't let me add stuff to my list anymore. I can't even comprehend not having triple digits in my Netflix queue.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6tyKjNsyns
Can't wait!

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
The Cobbler had like a real director n poo poo though. Usually when he does one of those it comes out more watchable but from what I've read that was not the case this time.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Looking through the added movies I have two to at least sort of recommend.

Point and Shoot is a really much better than I was expecting documentary about a American journalist that decided to join the Libyan rebels. The thing that makes the movie kind of work for me is just that the subject is sort of an idiot and the movie does not sugar coat this and the whole thing is just sort of fascinating as a result.

Also a movie I saw at Sundance this year, Advantageous is an interesting scifi movie that has some major problems but I feel picks up enough steam in the last act to make it worst watching. The dialogue is very stiff and some of the actors really dont' help this but it gets dark in a way that I sort of like.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I really like the last act of The Guest :(

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
White God might be the silliest movie I've ever seen that I would not recommend. I wanted to like it it because there's not anything like it but man it's just sort of all over the place.

I did get to pet the star of the movie though. :3:

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Chichevache posted:

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Actually

The movie does sexualize the gently caress out of that girl though for some reason.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
In general I feel like White God is a movie some people around here are really going to like just because of how weird it is, so I don't want to come off too strong in talking about how bad it was but I really do wish that had been a much better movie. If any one cares, I wrote way more about it earlier in the year. (warning: contains alot of spoilers)

axleblaze posted:

Oh boy...

The biggest failing I’m going to have in this whole write-up is that I’m not going to be able to convince you that White God is a bad movie that you don't actually want to see. Like, right now I know almost everything I write down will sound awesome and there's nothing I can really do about that. If I hadn’t seen this movie and was told the things I was about to write about this movie, I would want to see this movie. Everything about this movie is insane and I like insane movies. It's just none of the insanity really works. It's just all sort of bad. It’s unlike anything I’ve ever seen but sometimes there's a reason certain things haven't been done.

This is a very, very, very, very, very, very silly movie. Maybe one of the silliest movies I’ve ever seen in my entire life. That probably should be worth something but it isn't. I’m going to reveal a lot of this movie because it’s hard for me to really express my disdain without going deep into it but still if you don’t want to be spoiled just move on but just trust me in saying that this movie is really not very good.

The main problem with this movie is tone. It’s too serious for the silly stuff to ever really work and it’s too silly to take the serious stuff very seriously. This movie is a whole bunch of movies that don’t belong together clumsily mashed into each other without rhyme or reason. While there are sections of the movie that do maintain a single tone, the movie constantly switches these tones back and forth making it impossible to really accept any given section of the movie. There was a point where I thought I finally understood what this movie was going for (which I’ll get into later) but then the movie changed again and again and yet again making my ability to parse this as an acceptable movie an impossibility.

The first part of the movie is pretty much a Disney movie. There’s a girl who has a dog and she loves this dog. She’s enjoying a life with the dog until her mother needs to go somewhere and leaves her with her father who is a one-dimensional, bad father, rear end in a top hat that does not like dogs. His neighbor even more cartoonishly does not like dogs. Her music teacher also does not like dogs and makes her choose between class and her dog. Eventually the father forces her to get rid of the dog, abandoning it in the streets. The dog then goes on some merry adventures where he meets other dogs, goes to a meat market and is chased by a cartoonish butcher and is later chased by cartoonish dog catchers. All the while the girl is single-mindedly searching for the dog. This is all fitting of a bad children’s movie and while it’s shown in a slightly more gritty fashion overall, that’s pretty much how this plays on every level.

After that the dog is taken in by a homeless man who promptly sells him for dog fighting purposes. The movie then becomes a brutal depiction of someone basically torturing a dog for the purpose of making him a vicious fighter. This obviously does not mesh well with all that came before it but it hadn’t fully lost me yet because this was actually the best done section of the movie. Meanwhile the girl is just getting sorta of depressed over not being able to find her dog. She’s giving up hope and there’s also this boy she likes I guess. She goes to a rave with him, he gives her drugs to hold, she passes out and is woken up being busted by the cops. This part has its own indie coming of age tone that really doesn’t mesh well with anything that comes before or after. The only thing is really seems to do for the plot is make the girl give up on the dog and magically make her father stop acting like a heartless rear end in a top hat for no real reason.

Eventually the dog escapes after his first real fight and it briefly goes back to being a Disney adventure of dog and friends. That is short lived though as he gets captured by the dogcatchers and brought to the pound. There he doesn’t do well; snapping at people that get close. It’s not long before it’s decided he will be put down. At this point I thought I knew what the movie was going for. I thought it was some sort of deconstruction of the Disney narrative where instead of things going well the dog goes through the brutality of the real world and the girl just moves on. I could sort of get behind that. Then the last act happened.

The dog escapes and frees all the other dogs. The dogs go on a rampage through the city forcing people into their homes. The main dog acts as a leader directing all of the dogs against the police and in getting revenge against all that have wronged him. It’s a mix of the last scene in a mafia movie and a horror film where the monsters are dogs. Meanwhile the girl magically knows that her dog is at the center of this and goes into a city full of rampaging dogs to try and put an end to this or just find her dog. It is extremely silly.

I’ve already spent too much time talking about this and will have spent far more time on this than movies I actually liked so I’ll try to wrap things up but, as I said, this just is not a good movie. Every time I was willing to except it, it just got worse. There’s also a bunch of little things that make it hard to get lost in the silliness. There’s this repetition of Hungarian Rhapsody that just brings somberness and some sort of national message to it all. It kind of works because that song too gets very silly but that’s a metaphor I can't push very far. There are also off little moments like there are two shots of the very young daughter changing. They aren’t graphic or anything but their inclusion is still just weird to me.

Just overall it wasn’t a very impressive movie despite the nightmare it must have been to make. The direction isn’t great and a lot of the bad tone just comes from badly done scenes. The opening of the movie is a shot of the girl being chased through the empty city by a huge pack of dogs and while this should have been an impressive and cool opening, it just failed to live up to that concept. I am also told that the camera is very shakey for no real reason (years of Found Footage movies have made me pretty much immune to shakey cam so that sort of thing is hard for me to notice).

Despite all this I don’t regret seeing it. You don’t see a movie this bat poo poo dumb in such a unique that often. Watching this was an interesting experience and it was sometimes anenjoyable one but not in the way that I believe was intended.As I said, I’ve already written too much and, alas, I probably still haven’t convinced you this is a bad movie. You’ll just have to take my word for it, which is something I wouldn’t do if I were in your shoes.

axelblaze fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Jul 28, 2015

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

mysterious frankie posted:

Question, if Catechism Cataclysm is in my top 20 movies of the last five years, will I enjoy White God and be befuddled by people naysaying it?

It's hard for me to say because they are very different movies but I liked the Catechism Cataclysm and found it really interesting despite it's flaws while I feel the flaws overwhelm White God and obscure anything interesting the movie might have been saying. It doesn't help that I don't think White God is saying anything all that interesting (the Q+A did not help this) while I think The Catechism Cataclysm message of "Faith is hard and God will gently caress you up" was pretty good.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Why would you think The Guest was going to be like Drive? It's like the opposite of Drive. Drive takes a genre film an ups the indieness to 11 while The Guest takes a genre film and ups wackiness to 11. I mean it's a movie where a character puts in music to mask what she's doing and that music just happens to be synth score music that fits the scene.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I haven't watch Hot Girls Wanted but this article kind of made me not want to watch it. It makes it sound like rather than kind of treating the porn industry as a bad industry that can be reformed it just treats it as an inherently bad thing that girls must be rescued from. The problem with this, other than it just being dumb, is that it's basically an abstinence only type approach where easy solutions are overlooked because the only answer it's interested in is "don't do it".

I could be wrong though, because as I said, I haven't actually seen it though.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Definitely more fiction than fact, but Cropsey. The aforementioned Tabloid, Aileen: Selling of a Serial Killer, The Imposter may still be on there.

Cropsey to me felt like a doc where they went in expecting one thing and when that didn't pan out, they weren't really sure what to do.

It's kind if weird when that happens. There's this doc called Putin's Kiss where pretty much nothing of note happens to the film's subject and while interesting stuff happens around her, the movie us forced to try and put into the context of it's subject. I can understand it though. It must suck to devote like 4 years of your life to someone and not have much to show for it.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Putin's Kiss is really stupid and I felt the exact same way about it. I think Cropsey is much more successful, for whatever it's worth. My real reaction to Beasts of No Nation is that, honestly, it looks exactly like if an American were to remake Johnny Mad Dog. Same shift in values, aesthetic preferences, emotional distance, etc. I am very interested to see where it goes, but Fukunaga's direction should have you there minute one.

I'm just amazed that someone else has seen Putin's Kiss, a documentary about a Putin Centric Hitler Youth like movement that the movie can't make as interesting as its subject's chest. My favorite part of that movie is when she gets called in for questioning because she's friends with a known anti-Putin guy and they just sort of believe everything she tells them and nothing further comes of it. Like you can tell that the filmmakers were just waiting for this moment for SOMETHING ANYTHING to happen to this girl and then the most undramatic, unmovie-like thing happens. They have been secretly really pissed.

Side note: I think that friend was mysteriously murdered last year.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

The Vosgian Beast posted:

This mainly just makes me think of military people as insane and unpleasant.

Have you ever ventured into GIP? Because yeah that seems to be the case.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I like the last act of The Guest, but I also went in expecting a horror movie so that act didn't really disappoint me, it just felt the like the movie falling into place.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
The Skeleton Twins is real good. People should watch it.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
As someone that has worked two pizza delivery jobs I can say that while it's less demeaning than being throat hosed, it's probably still way more stressful, less reliable and WAY more hours to make an equivalent amount of money.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

how do you know
Wouldn't you like to know ? :wink:

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Overnight is on Youtube and yeah, it's really good and the most schadenfreude film there is.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Is The Guest a straight up action movie or are there thriller components to it as well?

It's a thriller/horror movie for most of the build up, then it gets actiony, then it goes back to being thriller/horror for the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

nate fisher posted:

Just noticed Slow West is free on Amazon Prime. I shouldn't get my hopes up, but a western + Fassbender is right up my alley.

It's good.