Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Adventures of Baron Munchausen is one of the finest films and greatest soundtracks ever to grace the silver screen
Konga is an art piece about the dangers of science when paired with on man narcissistic desires. It is pretty much the sole insperation of 2001 a Space Oddessy and it's dialogue is taught to English majors.

Upsidads fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Feb 15, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Dearest Netflix. Stop moving "My List" to the bottom of the drat page I paid you for. Its right under that stupid "Share list" I will never ever use and can't remove.

Ravenous needs to be on the list of overlooked cool movies. Its on Netflix the soundtrack is great the acting is bonkers and its a tense period piece horror movie.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

LogisticEarth posted:

Watched Oculus tonight. Worth a watch if you're in the mood for horror. My main gripe is the ending is pretty unsatisfying. It feels like the movie was missing a climax, and that the "mirror" had already won from the start as it could make the siblings think whatever it wanted them to. Maybe that was the point? Either way the anchor/killswitch going wrong was telegraphed from a mile away. The movie explicitly showed us that it could go wrong early in the film, and that the characters understood how the "mirror" was trying to use it against them. Would have been better in the end if the mirror was destroyed or at least was cracked a bit more. Otherwise, very little actually happened with the story. Interesting horror concept but not fully developed.

Should have put the countermeasure and the mirror out of their reach. Or hired a hitman to murder that mirror.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

X-Ray Pecs posted:

I'm thirding it, it's a wonderful little thing. And it's only an hour long, but manages to pack so much in that short of a time. It's not often a film gets me to tear up, but It's Such A Beautiful Day did.

The Act Of Killing is loving amazing. It's such a brutal movie tackling horrific subject matter in an almost flippant way, because that's how those who commit genocide see it. It's unlike anything else I've ever seen.

I love Ravenous. It's a bit of a goofy cannibal flick that has stellar performances and a knockout soundtrack. It takes its central ideas and runs with them, making a really wild, fun movie. Also, again, the soundtrack.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2V-KLn_PgQg

As opposed to the serious high brow cannibal flicks? Hannibal cat suck an egg.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

It's as good as Brazil? I know its probably apples to oranges but I love Brazil and for some reason I've never gotten around to Muchausen.

I'm biased. I could watch Baron Munchausen at any time and it improves my life. I like Brazil but I think it drags a bit.

This isn't to say that Baron Munchausen is perfect.
it does have its flaws but overall it's themes and performances blow me away everytime.

Upsidads fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Feb 16, 2015

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Housebound is fun stuff. The Raimi-esque shout out was pretty spot on. And its not a Raimi rip off or even a homage it just has a bit of his vibe and its own voice as well. Do watch.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Last House on Cemetary Lane might be the most boring movie on Netflix. It's like a high school play lit by a tanning salon. It's put me to sleep in under 5 minutes flat twice now.
It says horror but as far as I can tell it's two actors ad libbing a house rental.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

david_a posted:

I liked The Adventures of Baron Munchausen more than I expected to. There aren't that many movies that are so unafraid of being outright fantasies. Parts of it get really drat weird, too. I definitely liked it better than Time Bandits. I think it gets taken off on Sunday so ya better hurry.

I Highly recommend buying it, its poster, and its sweet sweet soundtrack.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Is Invincible Armor streaming anywhere? Because that is the best one. Holy poo poo its on YT
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTATNiqH_kQ

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

precision posted:

I've watched Hackers a truly embarrassing number of times.

Zero through infinity is correct for that.
Holy poo poo Furry Vengeance is on NF. That was a real movie?

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

The shittalking largely contained to one poster about xfiles. Its a good show it has its issues but it had a niche that wasn't contested for a long time. Also it had a great freaks episode.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

You did start out by calling it "absolute garbage".

It's been said before but Karate Robo-Zyborgar is power rangers grandpa off his meds. Went in dreading a low effort movie ended up with a hyper love letter to Japanese tv shows.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

Its a stupid comparison anyway and would lead to an equally stupid argument. My fault for even bringing it up.

X files is funnier then the last 10 years of the simpsons. Hey whens all the Marvel Stuff arriving?

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

david_a posted:

I'm seriously considering trying HBO Now for a few months. How often do they alter their movie lineup?

Netflix keeps your account around after you cancel so I wouldn't lose my queue, right?

I'm never in danger of running out of stuff on Netflix but it rarely feels like stuff I absolutely want to watch. Maybe being away for a few update cycles will make it feel fresher.

Outside of HBO series (which is a ton), a lot less movies. You will run out of movies you want to watch if you use it like you might use Netflix. But if you like their shows you have a ton to see.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

david_a posted:

I'm assuming that it's the same content as HBO Go so I looked through the website. Percentage-wise it might be the same amount as stuff I want to watch on Netflix, but that only works out to like 5-6 movies total since the selection is so much smaller. On the other hand, if they cycle through them fairly fast it might not be that bad.

God i hope its the same as hbogo it would be such a gently caress up to have a different selection. They have Poltergiest 2 and 3 yet not 1.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

LORD OF BUTT posted:

Netflix has had 2 and 3 but not 1 before, too. I think they might be with different companies.

Man thats a shame. Its not like it a great trilogy but I wanna see 1 bad.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

The Seven Percent Solution on HBOGO is such a sad boring movie of whats a decent cast and interesting premise. Sherlock has to be tricked into treatment for cocaine addiction by friends and family. Robert Duvall is Watson Alan Arkin as Freud and jesus its so drat slow. I can't even say any performances stand out ether it has that "tv" feel that so many 70s movies have.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Was Chef just twitters "You got Mail" or that google movie? It was a by the numbers enjoyable movie but man if it wasn't for twitter he would never see the value in his child. And the animated birds...

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Wings is awesome. Its so far removed from modern day and so creatively shot and well framed its like watching a fantasy movie. Its about a love triangle formed around two men fighting over a woman while they fight in WW1 as ace pilots. The transfer to HD did this film many favors. Give it a shot.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Doctor Butts posted:

Here's something you shouldn't watch, unless you're into the whole Ancient Aliens schtick:
America Unearthed.

I could only make it to halfway in the second episode before I just couldn't take all the made up bullshit.

Basically, the first episode was a bunch of made up bullshit and supposition without any evidence to support it and I was like 'eh, whatever'. The premise was that the Mayans emigrated to northern loving Georgia. He based it on the fact that there are earth mounds in Georgia. Also, there was art found in the area that resembled Maya. Also, there were stones carved with circles on them, just like the Mayans used to do! Also, the mounds may have been used to track stars or seasons!

Second episode took that sort of horseshit and went completely off the loving rails. Dude finds a stone with rune-like carvings in it and the loving dipshit thinks that people from Great Britain emigrated in the middle of an Arizonan loving desert in the twelfth loving century.

His evidence? Some dude named Mike, esteemed person whom we have no credentials of- but he's an expert on runes!

These shows need a disclaimer. They kinda cropped up hardcore when Xfiles was waning and Dan Aykroid or Jonathan Frakes or I dont loving remember did a show called something like "True or False" and it would show two stories one true and one false. It would be like one was an alien abduction the other a child performing a bank robbery and at the end of the show the fat nerd host would say the child robber story was the false one and then say nothing about the alien.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

A poo poo ton of Jack Lemmon movies and a huge helping of Hitchcock would make me love NF more. The Sci Fi department is lacking too.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

iv46vi posted:

Dreamcatcher showed up recently on canadian Netflix. It's surprisingly not terrible if you approach it as a light buddy comedy. Special effects hold up well, the cast is doing a good job, even the plot is moving along with purpose.

Dreamcatcher is my favorite comedy outside of Tango and Cash. It even had Morgan Freeman stink out loud in it.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Devils Backbone Texas I'm here from the future to warn you. I'm ten minutes in and this docuhorror is crap. Very Crap. I can't even find reviews but its because its not worth your time.

EDIT 30 minutes in. I wish I could slap the camera outta the directors hands.

Upsidads fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Apr 6, 2015

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

The Kingdom Of Dreams and Madness Is about Ghibli and its loving amazing.
The dude doesn't do a script they just start production when he starts working on a storyboard and at some point they know what the ending is.
Hanyo is a metal dude.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

How did Paul Anderson make Event Horizon it starts off with his name in the credits making a whoosh sound. it ends with a question mark.
It's enjoyable, atmospheric and entertaining and I want to give as much credit as possible to the cinematography but PA still has his hand in a not bad movie.
How?

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Cemetry Gator posted:

The main question I have is did Netflix fix the problem with the sound? The center channel and the left speaker were switched, creating a disorienting experience. It was unwatchable because it gave everything this weird soundstage.

Speaking of sound, Is Phantoms sfx recorded through a wax drum?

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

The only ones that bother me are Running Turtle is clearly a hardsubbed Video CD rip and Barton Fink has the worst format.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

precision posted:

He said The Conspiracy is a good movie, I think you can ignore that opinion.

I would argue that calling it a movie is misleading it more sequential bullshit trapped digitally.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

The Hybrid is terrible.
My search for a recently added horror movie is in vain.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Netflix has The Net
Gods perfect movie.
4:3 format,
Bullock finds wolfenstien 3d has a virus if you hit escape for a blank check,
Is there a older version called "The Mail" about a shut in who has their life ruined because they have their mail read?

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Rough Lobster posted:

Generally agreed upon Agents of Shield awesomeness ratings

1st half of season 1: Meh
2nd half of season 1: Hooly poo poo this is awesome and ladies and gentlemen BILL loving PAXTON

1st half of season 2: This poo poo owns
2nd half of season 2: Hooly poo poo this is loving awesome. Ladies and gentlemen, KYLE loving MACLACHLAN

Seriously though, unlike other paint by numbers tv dramas, it has real character development and some cool plot twists and turns. Also, the cast is really drat good, and it's fun to see how they interact with each other.

Watch AoS

Counterpoint, unwatchable boring by the numbers action series that only shines with guest stars.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

"An Honest Liar" Its a drat shame if you don't know who James Randi is. For those who don't here ya go!

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Star trek renegades is on YouTube. This is a warning rather than a recommendation.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

computer parts posted:

Yeah, the first episode seemed mildly interesting but it ended kinda poorly for me. Also I looked up the synopsis and it just didn't look good at all.

I tossed in the towel when a couple of kids adopted a A.I. fairy as their child.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Narcos is fun, but man does it have HBO DNA in terms of nudity quota. My biggest issue is some of the writing often is decent to even great at times, but it does take some dips into pure corn. I would recommend it if you have more then a passing interest in Escobar.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

david_a posted:

I have two episodes left and I'm a bit confused how there will be another season. Does this season not end with Pablo's death?

Does anyone know how historically accurate the series is? The only stuff I know about Pablo is from the ESPN The Two Escobars (which would be a good companion piece if it's still up). The sorta half-documentary approach of the show is a bit odd. It feels like the series is historical exposition with some drama bits interspersed.

I'm assuming if Pablo is talking to less than 5 people the entire conversation is assumed and fabricated. The explosivo episode had me laughing at the serious scenes.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

God could you imagine her head on her body? Could you imagine?

I liked Hand Of God on Amazon prime but any show that has Bubbles and Hannibal Chow together is watchable. Hell boy plays a judge who works for God hunting crime with his visions.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Who doesn't love Ron Perlman, I sadly haven't seen Andre Royo have a role outside Bubbles that lasted longer then ten minutes.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

precision posted:

"maybe use Hola"
DON'T USE HOLA
http://www.pcworld.com/article/2928340/ultra-popular-hola-vpn-extension-sold-your-bandwidth-for-use-in-a-botnet-attack.html

Upsidads fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Sep 12, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Gotham is just terrible writing and acting its like a few degrees off of being a popcorn mess that's fun in its wrecked form however. That current standard bearer is Under the Dome formerly Dexter.

My personal issue with Fargo TV is that it felt like a cheap carbon copy of Fargo. Same notes, sameish song, worse cover band.

Whens Under the Dome going out to streaming pasture?