Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Dark Was the Night is a by the numbers movie about something strange is happening in a little town and its livestock. Then it shits the bed with a giant slide whistle of a ending. Avoid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

coyo7e posted:

Cinemark. I think I saw the latest mission impossible because my folks wanted to take my nephew.. The one with simon peg in a ghillie suit? That's about all I recall because it was retarded.

It was hilarious though, that three huge redneck white guys in my group who were literally wearing camo were ignored but the pimple-faced kid asked to search my 70 year-old mom's purse. I mean, I know my dad has a concealed carry permit, and my brother does as well, on top of his "home defense" room-sweeper pistol-grip 12 gauge. Yep, they were totally worried about safety rather than someone sneaking in some candy and water bottles.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/movie-theater-chain-regal-checking-bags-nationwide-after-shootings-n412996

Where on earth?

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Vodos posted:

I'm not sure if Netflix messed something up with the latest client update for Fire TV or if this has been a thing for a while, but what is up with US Netflix having foreign shows and movies without subtitles? For some Spanish stuff I can understand them putting up the content before they have subs available, but Portuguese? Or this movie I tried watching where they speak Siamese in like half the scenes, there's only CC available for the English parts.
Similarly, when watching stuff from non-US Netflix, they often don't provide English subs even though they're available in the US. I heard every platform has a different Netflix client, is this a thing on all platforms or just Fire TV?

Well if its anything like my fire TV stick its kinda lovely in all the wrong ways. Don't hold your breath for Amazon if the fix is on their end

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Netflix added some classic Kung-Fu movies, including the 36th Chamber of Shaolin, Five Element Ninjas, and the Five Venoms. I haven't seen any of those, but I've heard they're good. Some people who have watched a lot of Kung-Fu could probably find some other gems.

Crippled Avengers is part of what 4 movies? Each cringe worthy but remember those guys became big time celebs at least.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Uh Mexico's 1960s Epic horror
The Brainiac is sweet.
Good sets, Great acting, Best Monster.

Upsidads fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Oct 13, 2015

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Did they just unearth Hot Fuzz from a time capsule? It's good, not a masterpiece, pacing issues for one. It's no Trading Places.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Speaking of commentary is there anywhere I can get digital editions of army of darkness or evil dead movies with the batshit commentary? I have my old boomstick edition DVDs but would like it portable an HD. Stars isn't gonna surprise us and have these on their service are they?

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Phantoms is my go to horror crap for the night. Outside of its Dean Koontz attempt at getting the Steven King treatment anyone else notice this has the wonkiest foley work?Everything sounds like it was slowed down digitally.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Just watched Dark Was the Night over at a friends on Netflix. Pretty decently creepy monster movie with some good acting.
Foreshadowing lead to ??? Followed by one giant fart ending.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Last five seconds did suck.

I liked the mood and setting, but the foreshadowing of guesswork and research of way cooler possible reasons for what is happening make " oh its just this" reveal stink. That and the CG did the movie no favors.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Do they have Fish Story? That.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

ill forgive Maher for being a poo poo if he makes another D.C. Cab.
American Experience: a Poisoners Handbook does a great job of showing the demystifying work of science on poison. It gets bleak.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Persons of interest ever get its plot moving beyond 5 mins per episode?

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

fishtobaskets posted:

I can recommend Last Shift if you're looking for a decent horror movie. Don't let the corny Netflix placard fool you. It doesn't do anything particularly original, but it's reasonably well-executed. The plot is almost elegantly simple and it has this Assault on Precinct 13 vibe that really works. Watch it alone in the dark at 3 in the morning for maximum effect.

Agree cept for that overstuffed cop out ending. Still take it over most of NF current horror fare

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

I say this with a heavy heart, whatever Netflix paid for Bob and David was too much.

Such a great cast.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Sarchasm posted:

I'm halfway through the new season and I'm loving it. It does a great job of recapturing the tone of the original. Why don't you like it?

Its not the dynamite I expected from that cast. Episode 3 was strongest for me but felt more like more Birthday Boys. I don't hate it I'm just disappointed in it.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Call Me Charlie posted:

Seriously, buy a Fire TV Stick (or I guess a Roku Stick if you hate yourself) for $25 during Black Friday. gently caress trying to watch stuff through a PC.

After using Chromecast 1 & 2, and a fire stick its a close call for all. Thanks to the buttholes that decided chromecast cant do prime anymore that makes the decision easier for prime people. But after Chromecast 2 came out I would give the edge to that. Its faster but the interface is a bit easier to use. But the remote for the stick is nice in the dark. Also Google seems to actively improve the chromecast while firesticks mira casting is utter bullshit after 1 year.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

moller posted:

The God of Cookery, although it's about food in the same way that RikkiO is about for-profit prisons.

Oh, and Tampopo, which I was going to make a similar joke for but stopped and felt bad because it's so earnest and heartfelt and cool.

God of Cookery has a bit of a slow start then I'm hyperventilating from golden gods.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Jessica Jones episode ten shits the Bed pretty bad. Now it feels like they are just teleporting people at dramatic moments.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Sleeveless posted:

I finished it and it's super uneven. I feel like if they had taken out the padding they could have had an amazing 8-episode series but as it is it's really bloated with side characters that contribute nothing to the overall plot and keeps making people act really conveniently stupid in the name of keeping the conflict going.

That and for how amazing the fights were in Daredevil the action in JJ is really bad. Like, I get that it's not supposed to be some slick styling kung-fu show but at the very least they could have made her super jump not look on par with something from a 70s sentai TV show.

The weirdo twins hurt to watch. I think that this with out padding and her without super powers and fight scenes would have been a better horror series rather than a super hero "whatevs".

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

How did Helix get a second season? That shows messier than anime.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

4 RING SHRIMP posted:

I need a movie to watch

Ravenous
Pontypool
The Good the Bad and the Weird
The Legend of Drunken Master
God of Cookery

Just go in blind. enjoy

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Sleeveless posted:

It's mostly people who are jazzed at old-school action scenes, most of the movie is boring garbage but the opening with the characters running through the train in long cuts tickles 80s nerds something fierce.

I like most of it and the Mr.Bean action scenes

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

4 RING SHRIMP posted:

Thanks for the Pontypool recommendation. Pretty cool movie. When I was watching it it reminded me of Coherence in a way although it was definitely less confusing. Just a really solid indie film that kind of fucks with your head as you try to figure out what's going on and what's happening to these people.
Glad you liked it.
Watch the after credits scene then Google some interpretations

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

King of Bleh posted:

Do people actually have "interpretations" of that scene? It seemed pretty obvious to me that it was just a jokey unrelated extra bit, kind of like when movies play blooper reels over the credits.

They do, but I won't spoil it here.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

It wouldn't surprise me in the least if James Gunn really did want to reboot Howard the Duck. I don't think it's happening, but still.

It can't be less boring then Agents of Shield.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

NESguerilla posted:

Dark was the Night was a passable monster flick but goddamn what a disappointing looking monster.

I bet he hates diddy kong.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

If you see Wesley or Troys mom in the cold open switch to hard drugs and/or liquor

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

The Best Offer Beautiful movie, Geoffrey Rush, Donald Sutherland, and some lady. Score by Ennio Morricone, is great.
The acting is decent for the supporting cast.
loving hate this movie. Pretentious. I don't know where to began. A very wealthy loner of a auctioneer and art collector is hired by a recluse to auction much of her belongings to make ends meet. What I ended up with was was a lovely m.night bullshitavoid unless you love seeing these actors, and good music.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Making of a Murderer will make you yell at the TV so warn your neighbors

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

red19fire posted:

I just started this. Good lord how does this guy not lawyer up immediately when the murder investigation starts. 8 more episodes of this? I'm going to lose my mind.

IQ 70 is a nightmare to deal with. The last episode has a few elements they reveal that make me wish the dug a bit more into "Tree with one branch guy specifically". And the biggest elephant in the room Who the hell did the deed and snuck onto the street that literally has the family name on it and not be seen burning the body and tossing evidence everywhere? I know there was the 8 days of police controlling the crime scene but seriously who and better yet how?

Upsidads fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Dec 20, 2015

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Phantoms, Phantoms is the jump scare movie you want. It has excellent jump scares like body parts in places that don't make sense even for the story, friends who jump out of corners for no reason.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Chichevache posted:

Use Spoilers for the people who haven't watched yet, but what would lead you to believe he killed her?

Necromancy?

Little Witch Academia is generic anime story meets animators having fun. Its fun to watch.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

3 dumb shitheads are stupid with time paradoxes= Time Lapse
Don't bother.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Don't bother with Big Game. I watched it because I really liked Rare Exports. It was terrible.

If you have kids they might like it.

I was so sad to discover this.
Just watch Cloak and Dagger instead.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Netflix needs to get all the Always sunny bloopers, like yesterday.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

HBOGO has Mad Max: Fury Road if you somehow are on this forum and haven't seen it yet.

Not seeing it in theaters is a crime. Not owning it is also a crime.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

I loved Eve No Jinkan but maaaannn, Patema Inverted on AP is just so shallow, and slow. and its true title should be Secret Gay Upsidads

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

NESguerilla posted:

That entire post is complete nonsense.

Its Anime so that checks out.

Edit: Its a newer movie by a pretty good scifi writer director. It is not good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

I know its a remake of another show but man Mad Dogs feels like someone tried to make a more serious Hangover movie into a series. Some good performances, but the plot has tonal issues and a giant telegraphed ending that coincides with a "who cares?" at the end.