Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
Nanette is legit awful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

precision posted:

I thought the film of The Road was a terrific mood piece that was unfortunately doomed to being compared to the superior novel.

Though didn't it do really well?

If I remember correctly the studio tried to bury it with a pretty non advertised release because they wanted the reader to be the big oscar contender movie, and they thought the Road was too much of a downer film or something.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Jose Oquendo posted:

The movie is important in that it’s pretty much the first major Hollywood superhero blockbuster directed by a black dude and a 99% black cast. Aside from the performance by Jordan, everything about it is average superhero fare.

That's not even really true though because shaft exists. Which is essentially a super hero movie and saved MGM from bankruptcy.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
My favorite scene in black panther is the climax when two non textured cgi characters do backflips in an empty black void for a while.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Yeah dude we're trying to be edgy by saying that a superhero movie was a pretty generic super hero movie. drat people better watch out.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
Also creed should have been nominated for a best picture award if we're giving Ryan couglar some props. That's one of my favorite movies In the last ten years.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

It really sums it up: the scriptwriters do everything in their power to make Killmonger so dumb and goddamn crazy, yet he still manages to come off as sympathetic, because he's a black revolutionary fighting against a feudal despot backed by the CIA.

Not to mention black panther himself is so loving dull he is just barely a character.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Enos Cabell posted:

I've got quite a few musician friends, and by far the happiest (and most financially stable) one is the guy in 4-5 different cover bands.

If you're fine as a creative making mediocre stuff that doesn't challenge anything. There is nothing wrong with that. But don't expect people to think you're a great artist. That's what selling out is. You sell out your vision and creativity so that you can have money. Again nothing wrong with it ethically but at the end of the day it's still mediocre.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I liked Mandy, but there's a lot of wasted potential there. Like you've got all these hints about Mandy being the "author" of her own death, framing Red's revenge rampage as her fantasy, some hints towards the end of Red himself having a history of mystical experience / transgression, the nod towards Reagan heralding the death and corruption of the hippie era, and so on... but all of that mostly just ends up being characterization at best, and references for the sake of reference at worst.

I'd love to hear someone prove me wrong and draw all of that into a cohesive reading -- and I think the Mandy-as-author stuff comes close -- but I wasn't entirely satisfied with what we got.

e: tagged some of that stuff just in case

I mean what would you get out of if they added explanations and exposition. It seems you were able to figure it out without it so I'm not sure what they could really add to the film you know?

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I'm not looking for explanations or exposition within the narrative, I'm looking for these things to mean something, to make a statement of some kind. They're cool, but I don't know why they're significant, or how they relate to each other.

I mean with LSD the entire feeling of the room can change by something you watch, read, or listen to. I think she is telling the story in so much that he is inspired by her. He is inspired by her mind and her artwork and he uses that inspiration to change his worldview. And her art and her influences kind of play into the world of the counter culture in the 70's and 80's. Underground comic books, heavy metal
Music. These are the fears of the conservatives of that time. Everything about her inspires him so much so that he creates an entirely new world.

I'm not sure if this is the type of explanation you're looking for but these are just some thoughts I was playing around with.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

It totally is, it's just the genre of Scorcese film that guys don't have dorm room posters of.

Yeah I was gonna say. Last temptation is honestly everything Scorcese is about in one movie.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
Yeah hulu's PS4 app is mostly ok. It can be easy to forget where you are on it but I can figure it out. Amazon has legit the worst interface I've ever used.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I'm watching the new Watership Down on Netflix and it's good but goddamn it would be better with some traditional hand drawn animation and not this cgi crap.

Wait what the gently caress there's a new water ship down?