Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

It's not about butthole pleasures
Lipstick Apathy

Blisster posted:

I watched Kill List tonight since I'd seen it mentioned in this and the previous streaming thread.

I'm not sure how I feel about it. Really enjoyed it pretty much all the way through, but my immediate reaction to the ending was pretty negative. But now that I'm thinking about it more things seem to be clicking into place (not so much plotwise, more thematically)- it's that sort of movie. Probably worth a second watch I'm thinking. If you ever watch this don't read anything about it! Going in blind is the way to go.

Opinions on it online seem to be pretty divided. There was a pretty hilarious rant in the comments of one review talking about how anyone who liked it must be pedophiles. It's a violent movie but I don't know where the hell he was getting that from.

I was full of vitriol over this movie for days and weeks after seeing it, bloviating ad nauseum to anyone who would listen about how godawful it was, much worse than a standard bad movie because it was so technically well-made. The more I thought about it though, a movie that upset me that much deserved at least some credit for being provocative. And I have to admit that the provocative element didn't feel especially cheap, even though I still feel it wasn't ultimately justified by the contextual narrative. Overall, it's a movie I wouldn't watch again and I definitely didn't enjoy it, but my initial revulsion has mellowed into a sort of begrudging respect for what the filmmaker was trying to do.

On a separate note re: movies expiring March 1, the wife & I recently watched The Graduate for the first time and we were both pleasantly surprised at how quirky and odd it was. For such an iconic movie, I think I was expecting a more conventional style, but everything from the pacing to the dialog to the soundtrack are all just slightly strange in a really wonderful way. It made me want to watch more early Mike Nichols.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I finally watched Harold and Maude for the first time thanks to Netflix suggesting it. It's just a delight of a movie. Morbid, hilarious, sweet, slightly sad, yet oddly light and uplifting given the subject matter. I'm kind of shocked that it didn't turn Bud Court into a bigger star. He's the best kind of peculiar. Ruth Gordon is amazing too.

e: oh and Cat Stevens soundtrack was a big bonus for me

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Nolanar posted:

...I see. I'll check it out, but I can't say I'm not skeptical.

It's a phenomenal movie, but I wouldn't put it in the psych horror category. It's definitely a black comedy, unless we're talking about something other than the Bob Goldthwait picture.

e: Quick recommendation for The Divine Move. It's catalogued in Netflix as Sin-ui hansu. It's about a Go player out for revenge, which should really be all you need to know.

fishtobaskets fucked around with this message at 18:58 on May 27, 2015

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Basebf555 posted:

What are some others that you've thought are as good or better? I'm honestly asking and in no way challenging you, I'm hoping for some recommendations because its a genre that Korea seems pretty drat good at.

What are some of the most prominent Korean directors who make these kind of films? I hate to admit it but I have a hard time distinguishing between different names of Korean directors, they don't stick in my mind like they should. I've seen the Vengeance trilogy, Oldboy and I Saw the Devil, but that's about it.

My favorite is The Man from Nowhere. The part where we discover the protagonist might be more than he seems is probably my favorite scene in any movie in the past 5 years. The fight choreography is sublime throughout, too.

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Nightcrawler feels like one of the more authentic portrayals of a psychopath I've ever seen. He's not some over-the-top bloodthirsty maniac, just an otherwise regular person with a little ambition and no empathy or compunction. I think that's why it's so chilling and so effective at making us uncomfortable.

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Looking over the August list, Enemy at the Gates is a solid WW2 movie if you haven't seen it. It covers an interesting topic of the war that's not usually represented, i.e. not Central Europe/Pacific theater. The occupation of Stalingrad was a bizarre sort of inverse siege.

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Speaking of Westerns, I watched two in the last few days that were pretty solid , both on Netflix:

Sweetwater has great set pieces, January Jones, a surprisingly excellent villain turn by Jason Isaacs of all people, and Ed Harris doing his best Billy Bob Thornton impression. It should be a fine little western, but I thought the pacing was uneven enough to be distracting. My wife didn't see the pacing as an issue so maybe it's just me. The cinematography makes it worth watching regardless.

Blackthorn again has a wonderful setting (Bolivia) & set pieces, a clever idea, and solid performances. Of the two, I liked this one better. Old Sam Shepard kind of rules as a grizzled old outlaw and It's also got Stephen Rea in it, who's reliably fantastic though a little underused.

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I don't think a movie has ever punched me in the head, the heart, and the gut all at the same time the way Synecdoche, New York did. It's an absolute masterpiece. Charlie Kaufman's best work by a wide margin, and I say that with a healthy respect and admiration for Adaptation.

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

The opening of this movie remains one of the coolest openings of any movie I have ever seen.

Speaking of cool openings, I watched Once Upon a Time in the West last night (on Netflix) and was just blown away by the opening scene.

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
We stumbled into a double feature of Popeye and 3 Women (both on Netflix) this weekend and enjoyed the experience. I'd recommend watching them in that order just because 3 Women is a better movie, but it's interesting to note how the financial failure of critically successful movies like 3 Women are why Altman ended up making movies like Popeye, which confused the poo poo out of critics but killed at the box office. Personally, I find the latter charming & the songs are great. 3 Women is enjoyable just to watch Shelley Duvall & Sissy Spacek try to out-weird each other.

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

mysterious frankie posted:

I hadn't watched it in forever and remembered the cgi looking fine, but when I watched it this weekend I was struck by how bad it looked. Much worse than I remembered it being. Still a great movie, and the monster interludes actually break up the dire atmosphere.

Stephen King said it's the only adaptation of his work where he liked their ending better than his own. I kind of agree. The film ending is just brutal.

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

pahuyuth posted:

Agreed. I love The Mist for a lot of reasons but the ending is just awesomely brutal. I don't like reading King; I don't think I've ever made it through one of his books. How does the ending of the movie differ from the book?

I only watched the first 20 and last 20 minutes of These Final Hours because I felt like it was going to be pretty standard fare in the middle. Did I miss anything special? I liked what I saw of it.

In the book, they have that eerie scene with the gargantuan beast crossing the road, they're filled with despair, and then suddenly the car radio picks up someone saying "Hartford.... Hope..." implying that they are filled with hope, and the story ends. No tragic Shakespearan timing. No bitterly ironic shot of the woman from the opening reuniting with her kids, no nothing.

Having said that, I still found the book ending memorable, and those two words are etched into my brain almost 25 years after my first & only reading of the story.

fishtobaskets fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Sep 15, 2015

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Considering every Columbo episode is basically "I'm a big dumb detective, and you criminals will tell me everything because you think I'm dumb, BUT WAIT, I'm actually smart.", it's still eminently watchable because Peter Falk hits it out of the park every single time.

I watched the entire run last winter & never got tired of the formula. Here's a pretty great example of that. Peter Falk in character at a roast for Frank Sinatra and he absolutely kills it just by being the guy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzKehvXNBus

Anyone looking for a horror movie recommendation, I can suggest Starry Eyes. It's super hosed up with an incredibly cynical subtext, and the story's pretty corny, but it executes everything else pretty well, especially the pacing, which is a slow burn that crescendos rapidly toward the end. It's very self-aware and has a bit of a retro feel, kind of like The House of the Devil.

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Netflix added some classic Kung-Fu movies, including the 36th Chamber of Shaolin, Five Element Ninjas, and the Five Venoms. I haven't seen any of those, but I've heard they're good. Some people who have watched a lot of Kung-Fu could probably find some other gems.

gently caress. yes. Five Deadly Venoms is one of my favorite kung fu movies.

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Wiggles Von Huggins posted:

I have seen The Devil's Advocate before and I'm sure we've discussed it already but I unironically enjoy it. Everyone is hamming it up especially Pacino (does he even have a different acting style?), and I dare say that even though he is doing an accent and he is still Keanu, I think it is Keanu Reeves' best acting. Also I never noticed the insanely bad green screen work in the party scene where Keanu goes outside to talk to the redhead woman. Goddamn it is jarring and odd.

Pacino was in a little known arthouse flick called The Godfather where his acting was a little more restrained.

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Wiggles Von Huggins posted:

Ha ha yes I know I was being flippant. I prefer my Pacino to be like Carlito or the coach in Any Given Sunday though.

I think I know what you mean. He can become a caricature of himself sometimes. I do love Scent of a Woman though.

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I can recommend Last Shift if you're looking for a decent horror movie. Don't let the corny Netflix placard fool you. It doesn't do anything particularly original, but it's reasonably well-executed. The plot is almost elegantly simple and it has this Assault on Precinct 13 vibe that really works. Watch it alone in the dark at 3 in the morning for maximum effect.

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Watched Bound By Vengeance last night and was really bothered by the the plot. Everything that happened in the premise seemed really implausible Why isn't she going to the police?, and from there it was almost impossible to connect with the rest of the film. Throw in these messy flashback scenes that I guess are supposed to help build a sense of mystery but sort of go nowhere and it all adds up to a confusing, irritating mess. The final scene was actually sort of decent, but it was too little too late.

Also, re: The Visitor, I remember the first time this came up I thought I must have somehow missed all the sci-fi subtext in the Richard Jenkins film.

e: God, I love Richard Jenkins.

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Wait, what? I'm blanking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0akXKxbflM

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I loved Monster Squad as a kid, but I rewatched it recently, and man, what a piece of garbage.

The only things I really liked from it still were the redesigns of Wolfman and The Creature.

I liked that the Wolfman was Uncle Rico.

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Tom Segura's new special is up and it's solid.

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
This seems like as good a time as any to recommend everyone watch Galaxy Quest again. By Grabthar's hammer, by the suns of Warvan, you shall be avenged.

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Speaking of prime, I finally watched Bone Tomahawk and it's really great and I love Richard Jenkins but man that one scene is super hosed up.

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

X-Ray Pecs posted:

What are some streaming horror films that aren't great but are different and interesting enough to justify watching? I'm jonesing for some weird horror after watching The Manitou and The Keep on Prime.

Two that I've watched recently that I thought had enough merit to post about in this thread were Starry Eyes and Last Shift. Per your request, I would deem them as not great, but interesting enough to justify watching.

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Holy gently caress. Re-watch Atonement. You'll be all hey there's what's his name and oh there's gobbledyfuck. I think Keira Knightley was the only star power when it came out but like 90% of the cast has broken out since then.

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I really enjoyed The Hallow. I love a good creature feature, the more unusual the creature the better, and this movie delivered in spades. motherfucking spriggans hell yes. Plus as mentioned it was competently made, with solid performances & special effects.

Hush is another recent horror flick that Netflix recommended highly (4 stars) that I didn't like nearly as much. The premise and performances are solid, but it just failed to do anything interesting with the tension & dread it built up in the first 20 minutes.

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Accident Underwater posted:

My favorite episode is when Dave Matthews played a brain damaged musical savant and they taught him to tie his shoes him by removing half his brain.

Mine too. The scene where he brings the piano into the room is awesome, and Kurtwood Smith of all people is one of the most touching guest stars in the entire run of the show.

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
If you're looking for a light, entertaining movie that's family friendly, you could do worse than the Goosebumps movie. The production value is much better than the TV version.

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I really enjoyed They Look Like People. One of the better indie features I've seen in recent years and just not at all what I was expecting. Try to ignore the Netflix blurb and just watch it blind.

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I loved the roommate. That line, "It's really scary to trust you right now, but let's do it!" (sic) was touching to me and I like the way the actor delivered it. That and the final scene gave this movie a sweet heart that made me feel good when it was over. One of the few times where I felt like the happy ending was the better alternative in a horror flick. But really, it's not a horror flick. It's a buddy movie.

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
It goes without saying, but watch Spotlight.

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

computer parts posted:

The Big Short is the perfect movie to show your friends when explaining how everything got hosed up, but I don't know how I feel about it as a movie.

I feel pretty much the same way. I thought all the individual performances were solid, and it's an important story to tell, but the pacing felt a little weird and the narrative arc fizzled more than it should have. Compare it to Spotlight, which had similar strengths, but also presented a taut, tense narrative and a denouement that left me crying in the theater.

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

That Works posted:

What bugged me was that they already had a narrator, they could have done the explanation easily enough with just that. Instead it was a complete segue to something else that had no bearing on the story to explain something that did. Just seemed a bit silly and hamfisted.

The Margot Robbie scene in particular felt like a self-conscious pop culture nod to Wolf of Wall Street, which also featured jarring segues, breaking the 4th wall, and Margot Robbie.

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

NESguerilla posted:

I'm gonna call bs on Stranger Things. The story is basically 1 (lame) episode of the X- files dragged out into 8 hours and the 80's stuff seems really cliche and unnecessary. The acting is also bad and I'm pretty burned out on intentionally corny retro synth music. It's all style over substance, but the style sucks and is really overdone right now. It's a pretty lovely show.

I wonder some of the other well-received movies/shows that have used this 80's throwback style will suffer in hindsight. Drive, The Guest, It Follows, and House of the Devil are a few that I can think of. I know I enjoyed all of them immensely at the time, even after I was aware it had become a fad. I haven't seen Stranger Things yet so I can't speak to its quality, but I think you're right about 80's nostalgia becoming overdone.

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Franchescanado posted:

I want to disagree. Certain movies work better with a nostalgic 80's aesthetic. I just watched The Final Girls last night again, and that movie just wouldn't work without the 80's aesthetic.

We're Right now we have a generation of filmmakers that grew up on the films of the 80's and are now able to look back and see what works and what doesn't.

Nostalgia movies have always been a thing. Dazed and Confused is a 90's movie that takes place in the 70's, and that's aged remarkably well. American Graffiti is a movie from the 70's about 1962.

Bad movies happen, though. Does anyone remember Take Me Home Tonight?

While I agree with you that nostalgia movies have been a thing for a while and the examples you mention are great movies, this current trend feels a little different. In Dazed & Confused and American Graffiti, the setting was from the previous generation, but the style of the movies was essentially contemporary. In this latest run of movies that are paying homage to the 80's, they mostly take place in a contemporary setting, but they feature things like Miami Vice title cards, piercing synth soundtracks, and anachronistic wardrobes/sets.

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Added both of these to my list. In Captain Phillips when he's in shock after being rescued I was like :aaa:. Road to Perdition has my favorite Tom Hanks performance, but that scene is some of the most incredible acting I've ever seen.

I'm glad someone else noticed and appreciated this. It's a breathtaking piece of acting. It's got to be difficult to act in shock because it's such a visceral, involuntary human condition. I guess I have to watch A Hijacking now.

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Trip report on They're Watching: super annoying use of the found footage style, dreadfully boring buildup, you see the ending coming from a mile away, yet still somehow watchable enough and the finale is pretty great.

The Invitation is next in my queue. Looks like a fairly straightforward psychological drama, but it's pretty highly rated so I'm hoping for a pleasant surprise or two.

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Room is on amazon prime and all I have to say about it is that they gave the oscar to the wrong principal actor. Jacob Tremblay is fantastic.

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

hihifellow posted:

Thanks for this, I liked the book when I had to study it for a college english class so it was interesting to see how it translated to film. A lot of the symbolism became less pronounced, and some of the conflict from Jack being a rape child got written out (which kind of stubbed some of the character development of Grandma and especially Grandpa) but the performances were great. Brie Larson absolutely sold the torment Ma went through.

I thought the way they used William H Macy was a very succinct way to address the material you spoiled. His abrupt and permanent departure was powerful in hindsight. I think we are in general agreement though that it was a solid adaptation of the source material.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

morestuff posted:

Prime's having a really good month:

Holy poo poo