Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.

NESguerilla posted:

Anybody watched Starry Eyes? Looks interesting but I'm not feeling that adventurous after thinking Preservation looked interesting last night.

It's okay, but not much more than okay. It starts strong and ends strong, but definitely falls flat in the middle third with some pretty rote body horror stuff that's been done a million times before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.

Cocoa Ninja posted:

Soy el único quien llama a la puerta.

Es la hora de cocinar, Jesse.

No son piedras, Marie, sino minerales.

Is it wrong that I read this, and laughed heartily, and then wanted really badly to watch a bad spanish dub of BB and not the actual remake under discussion?

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.

Sergeant_Crunch posted:

Can you believe how loving unrealistic that train was? What a pile of garbage, right?

I'm feeling extremely triggered right now

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.

Jack Gladney posted:

Yeah, even after watching the whole thing it just seems like the story is constructed around celebrating a blameless youth for his intelligence and innate superiority. Like, I don't buy his concern for that bug planet at all because the story seems all about his righteous indignation at being used to blow it up rather than anything to do with the moral implications of what he'd done--knowingly or not. Like, somehow he's the victim even in basically being space Rommel. It's a mark of adolescence to be utterly obsessed with yourself and to think of everything in terms of yourself, but here it's like the movie validates that point of view even when the bare facts of the plot are that the kid has to face up to having done something wrong and needing to fix it. The whole thing just left a gross taste in my brain after the way the rest of the movie presents the most important thing about fascist militarism as basically that it's an interesting and fun thing for smart boys who like puzzles.

It's like the opposite of the Oppenheimer quote or Cat's Cradle.

Creating the Innocent Killer touches on a lot of these ideas and is basically an essential followup piece to Ender's Game, imo.

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.

flatluigi posted:

Yo, toss me some show recommendations - Orphan Black just ended its season, I just blitzed through Sense8, and I’m debating a rewatch of Lost but before that I’d love to know if anyone could recommend some shows that are similar to those three - dramas with overarching arcs and a supernatural/sci-fi mystery-type bent. If it’s available for streaming on Netflix US or Amazon Prime Video that’d be preferable, but any recommendations would be nice.

Perhaps a bit obvious but have you tried Supernatural?

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.

Franchescanado posted:

Does anyone else think Rescuers Down Under is better than The Rescuers, or am I alone?

You are not alone, although it probably doesn't help that I watched the former as a child multiple times before ever seeing the latter.

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.

precision posted:

Angel Heart has De Niro as the devil and it's fantastic.

That might be considered a spoiler but like in Devil's Advocate it's extremely obvious from the moment you see him that he is the actual literal devil.

Yeah they weren't exactly going for any sort of shocking twist when they name his character "Louis Cyphre".

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.

Junkie Disease posted:

Glad you liked it.
Watch the after credits scene then Google some interpretations

Do people actually have "interpretations" of that scene? It seemed pretty obvious to me that it was just a jokey unrelated extra bit, kind of like when movies play blooper reels over the credits.

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

i mean, we all agree that there are necessary movies, right? 12 Years a Slave, Shoah, stuff like that. so surely some movies (almost certainly the bulk of them) are unnecessary too.

What are the consequences in the doomed alternate timeline where these necessary movies weren't made?

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.

ChickenMedium posted:

That's one of my favorite things about Netflix. Things pop up in "Recommended for You" with a predicted rating of a star and a half. "You should totally watch this movie, you'll hate it!"

To be fair, that's probably not as weird as it sounds. As an example, I watch a lot of lovely horror movies that rarely even merit 3 stars, but netflix correctly continues to recommend them to me, despite 'hating' them.

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.
1-2 stars, as they deserve; I'm saying there's a difference between what people want, and what they like.

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.

magnificent7 posted:

The Invitation was great. Suspense thriller with a slow burn that managed to keep me engaged. I normally hate slow burn movies... I'm all about "JUST GET TO THE CRAP THAT HAPPENS!" but this one was great.

It's a thinker. Great.

And They're Watching was loads of fun. It was everything you suspect from a found footage movie, including gaping holes in logic and predictable stupid crap, but drat it was fun.

I watched these exact same two movies yesterday, are you me?? :tinfoil:

They're Watching certainly was fun but it mostly felt like a 10-minute special effects reel padded out to feature length, I feel like it would've worked a lot better at half the running time

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.
They're Irish, actually. ~lol white people~

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.
To give an iota of fair shake to the Satanic Temple, the statue in the show kind of is obviously cribbing from their statue. I recognized it instantly watching the show, it specifically even has the same two children flanking him in the same positions.

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.

Blast Fantasto posted:

They're actually constantly cycling images to see what drives the most people to click. It's continuous A/B testing. I saw a presentation from them at work one time that was about this specifically.

This, and also a dirty secret about A/B testing is that sometimes any change at all gives you a bump in metrics. That movie you've been blindly scrolling past in their carousel for months suddenly looks different, it catches your eye, and consequently maybe you have a 1% greater chance of actually watching it due to this momentary hook.

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.
I think the fact that there are two entirely separate ‘Fox sex’ plot lines probably says a lot about the proclivities of the author of the books, but I can confirm that neither of them is treated in a gross / fetishized way in the show. The demon character is never shown with any animal attributes other than yellow demon eyes. (Though that plot is obv very gross and yikes for other reasons)

King of Bleh fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Dec 30, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.
Bandersnatch had some entertaining scenes and bits but the primary narrative (which is actually mostly linear) was much too insubstantial to hold up on its own without the CYOA gimmick propping it up. 2/5 stars.