Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Basebf555 posted:

As far as the scope and overall quality of his work across several decades, there's a solid argument to be made that he's the best director in film history.

on the other hand, watching Spielberg try to figure out how to wrap up a Kubrick film that never got finished during the latter's lifetime should disabuse you of that notion right quick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

yes, but only on the basis of a reading that outright mocks spielbergian sentimentality

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

he IS a really good director, i'm just not on board with calling him the greatest of all time by any means

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

they're better answers

i'd be tempted to go with Fritz Lang but i'd have to think about it

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

Imo it's definetly the Coen Bros.

what if you could only pick one :twisted:

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Anime is good, actually.

Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress is pretty bad but then again so are a bunch of things on your wife's list. It's kind of a like a poor man's Attack on Titan, so if you really loved that concept and want to see a similar concept that I think went to waste (you may not agree) then go for it.

I remember Eccentric Family S1 had a really strong start, but I never finished the first season. It's an adaptation of a work by the author of The Tatami Galaxy, which is fantastic, though, so at least the writing should be good.

Natsume's Book of Friends is consistently excellent, it's slower-paced than a lot of stuff on your wife's list but I see Silver Spoon on there so it's probably fine.

Nothing else in that link really jumps out at me but there's probably some sleeper hit among the original series that I just don't have an "oh, it's that series / writer / studio" vouch to base my opinion on.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

"Anime for people who hate anime" is a dubious concept from the start. Someone who's really plugged in to the medium is operating at a long-distance second guess of what that even looks like, and someone who isn't probably watched some garbage show when they were 12 or trusted a total idiot to give them recommendations.

Even if we accept that "movies and shows from <nation>" and "cartoon" tell you anything about style or substance (which is plenty debatable in itself), it's very unlikely that both people are talking about the same thing.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Apr 5, 2017

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

the best anime is generally stuff that's about experimenting with animation itself and you better believe it is the absolute last thing to get localized lol

the next-best is stuff that's written for adult audiences but not because it's grimdark or sexy, which has the same problem

third best is stuff that absurdly anime in exactly the way you're imagining, but is funny or insightful about it or so cheerfully exploitative and trashy that it becomes a positive (like Future Diary), which IS the kind of thing that gets localized but doesn't really help your problem

masaaki yuasa did a guest episode of adventure time once, though, that was cool

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Apr 5, 2017

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

one piece is charming at first and would probably be better if all the puns could be translated (or translated better), but quickly becomes formulaic to the point where the cracks start showing, even in manga form

and god help you if you watch the show

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Mind Game is visually stunning and off-the-wall, but it's never grounded in any sort of quality narrative, and the story only moves in short bursts. Still worth watching just for the animation style(s).

the only narrative mind game has or needs is "gently caress death, god's a jerk, live the struggle"

like you're posing this as a shortcoming, but it's the opposite :colbert:

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

I used to just browse Netflix for stuff to watch but their selection kept getting worse / less reliable so I stopped

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

precision posted:

Yeah as much poo poo as I give the Netflix System, it was usually spot-on with its guesses.

The new system is... not so spot-on. It says that Rectify, my favorite TV show of all time, is a 73% match. For reference, Sons of Anarchy is a 75% match. :suicide:

You'd probably need to rate thousands of movies for it to really start working accurately. Reminds me of the Criticker "users with similar taste" function.

Of course my Criticker is useless to me now because I filled all that poo poo in when I was, like, 19. :v:

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Timby posted:

See, I don't think this is true at all. MST3K, even in heavily sanitized form like the movie, always felt like it was born from a genuine love of film. For the most part, RiffTrax and Cinematic Titanic have continued that tradition.

I've only seen a few Rifftrax, so maybe I just picked out bad ones, but they absolutely oozed contempt. MST3K didn't have that problem as often but there are still a lot of movies where they aren't really improving matters any. (Godzilla vs. Megalon, for instance, is funnier without the commentary.)

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

remember when "turn your brain off" was probatable

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Amazon Video has it, that's where I saw it.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

I'm sorry that you're not satisfied with my answer of where to stream the movie, on a streaming service, in the streaming thread.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

As it happens, it's also available on Amazon Prime.

e: No, wait, that's one of the other The Voids.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

It's really not, I've been wanting to see it for awhile, and I checked after your original post.

What is available is an unrelated anthology series that came out in 2016 by the same name.

You should watch that, come back, and tell us if it's any good. :)

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

precision posted:

I've been watching Preacher on Hulu and it is really fantastic if you want a fun pulpy violent weird supernatural shitstorm. It's like "Quentin Tarantino Presents Neil Gaiman's The Leftovers", and I know I probably just made everyone not wanna watch it with that terrible metaphor, but I'm the guy who first went to bat for both Rectify and Patriot and Preacher is like, it's up there, it's real good.

I've never read the comic book, no.

Preacher reins the comic in a little bit, in my opinion to its betterment. Some folks weren't happy with the slow pacing but a) I didn't mind and b) it'll probably pick up once they hit the road in season 2.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Does Person of Interest ever get less vengeance-happy? I know the concept is a vigilante fantasy to begin with, but I'm three seasons in and I'm kinda missing the early episodes where John went out of his way not to kill anyone and was emphatically in the "revenge just fucks you up even worse" camp compared to the black ball of rage he is now. (It also seems to be getting subtly more jingoistic, with the shift from "idealistic heroes vs. corrupt cops and government agencies" to "government is useless but the real threat is BAD private paramilitary groups, which the GOOD private paramilitary groups have to protect you from.")

e: I would be equally happy if the characters continue on their current trajectory but it leads them to tragic ends or to becoming very successful monsters themselves; I don't need to identify with the fiction I consume, I'd just prefer if the overall theme were more agreeable.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Apr 27, 2017

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

flatluigi posted:

If it helps, the show's by Jonathan Nolan who went on to make Westworld right after PoI ended (and has worked on stuff like Memento, The Prestige, Interstellar, and The Dark Knight with his brother Christopher).

That explains an lot, and definitely encourages me to continue. Thanks everyone.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Alterian posted:

The handmaid's tale is pure women horror. Almost every scene gives me anxiety in some way.

Sounds like they're doing their job, that's basically how the book goes.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

My favorite thing about The Handmaid's Tale (I think someone mentioned this earlier but it bears repeating) is every single practice or atrocity it depicts really happened in history at some point, just not all at the same time.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Also I didn't realize American Gods had started airing until I was looking up articles on The Handmaid's Tale and found cross-links to articles complaining that American Gods is "confusing," no doubt a good sign. :laffo:

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

A MIRACLE posted:

American Gods is a really fun watch so far. Is it based on the Gaiman novel? I read that a couple years ago but haven't remembered any of it so far

Based on, yes. It's playing with the chronology a bit -- there's a scene in the pilot that's from like 3/4s of the way through the book -- but it's also not directly related to anything else, so it was an easy one to move around. (And of course Fuller wasn't about to shy away from man-eating vagina.)

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

NDT occasionally makes statements way outside his wheelhouse and they're kind of adorably myopic in that way you get when very science-minded folk talk about the humanities or religion, which is aggravating, but not nearly as aggravating as the civilization-ending bullshit coming the other way.

e: also some of these statements were probably prompted by interviewers

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

hamsystem posted:

Watched the first season of Santa Clarita Diet. I didn't think I'd like it much, but it's actually pretty funny. It's by the guy that did Better Off Ted so if you liked that you'll probably like this.

I liked the pilot of Better Off Ted and then almost immediately lost all interest when the actual show wasn't nearly as spiteful; do you reckon I'd like it?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Nihonniboku posted:

Season 1 is good. Season 2 is great. Season 3, if you like high camp, then maybe you'll like it. I didn't.

I like high camp but it's, like, thirty minutes of really funny scenes (most of them involving Kathy Bates) spread out across an entire season of nothing. It's not worth it.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Simplex posted:

I've found with AHS that the odd numbered seasons are at least watchable. The even numbered seasons are just a slog to get through and filled with bizarre and boring side plots that are tenuously connected to the main storyline.

2 is the best one though

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Disney is too afraid to simply entertain a child anymore, every film has to have a message. Messages that teach kids lessons are fine, but not every single movie you put out has to have a life lesson.

There's no such thing as an apolitical film or one that's "just entertainment", Disney's messages just mostly suck.

Which is one of the reasons why Tangled is probably their best film since going over to 3D.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot wasn't nearly as funny as I'd hoped or as politically brave as I hoped. If you're in it for a character study of a journalist it's all right, I guess.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

pfft, B movies, please. if you're not digging into the absolute worst VHS bargain box finds imaginable, you're elitist trash

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

what if i thought it wasn't bonkers enough and was ambivalent on the question of happy

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

rngd in the womb posted:

I always thought they were "psychological thrillers". Others will have better recs, but maybe The Babadook or The Fly are still on Netflix?

i dunno "psychological thriller" is usually used to describe non-supernatural or low-key supernatural movies and also used to indicate something that thinks it's too good to be horror, that doesn't seem quite right (might work for The Tenant, I haven't seen it)

Peter Hutchings gives it as "narratives with domesticated settings in which action is suppressed and where thrills are provided instead via investigations of the psychologies of the principal characters"

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Is there anywhere I can watch Night of the Comet online, legally? I'm willing to pay a one-time fee but I would prefer not to sign up for a subscription service; I already have Netflix.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

It's available for $6 on Amazon streaming.

Awesome, thanks.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

I watched Apocalypto with a friend who's an anthropology major; he spent the whole movie complaining about Mel Gibson getting the historical details of mesoamerican culture wrong, and I still enjoyed the movie. So it's good enough to overcome that handicap, at minimum. :v:

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

The original is just tighter, it's a well-oiled machine. The sequels are bloated in parts, which is very noticeable because of how perfectly paced the original is.

Yeah it really comes down to the pacing. I'm willing to entertain the possibility that the sequels have something clever or interesting to say, but they meander horribly and outside of a few good setpieces the action just gets repetitive and tiring.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Jupiter Ascending was wonderfully entertaining even if it was a complete mess.

Speed Racer is their best movie though, and Sense8 in a lot of ways is like they revisited parts of the Matrix movies that didn't work and made them work by playing to their strengths more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Asnorban posted:

Sense8 may not be good. But it is super fun.

Sense8 was clearly made by people who just really love humanity and the human experience and huge chunks of the show are just them cinematically gushing about how great human beings are. It's charming, and it works whereas in the Matrix any time they try to do that it has to overcome all the grime and despair of the setting -- not that those are bad things, but rather they weren't quite proficient enough to make the extreme contrast work. It feels fake, or at least strained, while in Sense8 it seems totally sincere.