Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
If you can get down with pulp sci-fi, Message From Space is what's up. Also, everyone watch The Stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Dead Precedents posted:

I get on a foreign film kick sometimes and several months back watched several Korean films.

Masquerade: 'In this operatic costume drama, a temperamental king conscripts an actor to replace him when he is seized by nightmares of assassination attempts.'

New World: 'A conflicted undercover cop is ordered by his possibly corrupt boss to help influence the election of a new leader of Korea's largest crime syndicate.'

Tell me more about Masquerade? I just took it off my list because I wasn't sure I wanted to sink quite that much time into a movie I really have no idea about.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Check out Is the Man Who Is Tall Happy? if you want to hear Michel Gondry talk over and misunderstand Noam Chomsky.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Viginti posted:

So, is Bound actually a good movie? It's the only Wach movie I'm yet to see, partly because it seems like it came from an alternate universe where they chose to ape De Palma instead of Ridley Scott.

I found Bound to be too thickly laden with wink-nudge self-awareness, without anything all that interesting to back it up. To be fair, the people I watched it with went nuts for it.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Watch Seijun Suzuki.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Jenny Angel posted:

Since we're on the topic of documentaries, I'm in the market for one that features a central figure at least as preposterous as Billy Mitchell. Who you got?

He's not quite Mitchell-tier, but the middle manager by day, feudal lord by night antagonist in Darkon is pretty fantastic.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Dawg Fight is good.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

K. Waste posted:

I done told you guys.

Fuckin Tree man :smith:

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

K. Waste posted:

Don't forget Chauncey.

edit: And Jimmy got locked up. Fuckin' b.s. possession charge, too.

Yeah, but Chauncey went out a champion, at least. I really felt for Tree and wanted to see him get hit poo poo together and then, "killed by police taser".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

K. Waste posted:

Yeah, it's all pretty fifty shades of hosed up. You especially gotta love/seriously contemplate when Dada's brother (not his 'brother,' his literal brother, I don't even know if that was necessary) is saying, “This is what’s been goin’ on for centuries. The Romans started it with the coliseum and the gladiators. And it continues today, here in West Perrine.” The irony is palpable. The vast majority of gladiators were vilified and hated slaves. Only a few were distinguished by the honor of being "volunteers," and they mostly acquired this distinction by callously murdering these undesirables.

Like, the Boxing commissioner is constantly saying straight up that these fights are dangerous and illegal and that he has nothing to do with them, but these illegal rings are actually totally how these new athletes are 'discovered.'

The parallels to gladiator fights also extend to the heavy implication that these are poor people being violently pitted against one another to distract the lower class from their misery, and that it's a desperate means for disenfranchised people to earn their freedom.

With regards to the first part of that:

"I'm against violence. I have to say that, because I'm involved with United Homes for Children. BUT" sums up a lot of the movie.