Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

i always recommend 2 excellent documentaries to people looking for stuff to watch

The Imposter is the story of a 13 year old boy from Texas who disappeared in 1994, and reappeared in 1997 with a wild tale of being kidnapped, imprisoned, and abused by some high-ranking military officials from Mexico, the U.S., and Europe. They injected him with a variety of chemicals, using him as a guinea pig for genetic experimentation, abusing him for several years until he made his escape out on to the streets, where a police officer found him huddled and terrified in a phone booth. When he finally flew back to the United States and was brought to the Barclay family, they accepted him with open and loving arms even though the years of torment had taken their toll and rendered him near-mute and nothing like the boy they remembered. No matter how many years had passed or how much Nicholas had changed, the Barclays just wanted him home. Nothing will make you believe in the power of love like this movie.

The Woman Who Wasn't There is about one of the most well-known 9/11 survivors, Tania Head. She had the most heartbreaking tale of anyone: she was in the first building hit on the 78th floor and was badly injured, saved only thanks to Welles Crowther (the Man in the Red Bandana) who ended up saving the lives of 12 people. Perhaps the most tragic part of it all was when she witnessed the second plane hit and realized that her fiance Dave was inside the building and likely dead. Using her story to drive her forward instead of to crush her, she was instrumental in lobbying for and receiving aid on behalf of the survivors (getting access to Ground Zero which they had previously been denied, increased media recognition, creating a massive support network). All of this effort made Tania the ultimate survivor, and her incredible story gave other survivors the strength to fight on when they otherwise might not have. God... where would they even be if Tania and her story didn't exist? An inspirational movie about a unbelievable woman and her unbelievable story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Timeless Appeal posted:

The thing about The Imposter is that the tittle isn't alluding to the most hosed up thing about that story.

yeah, i think both of them are best viewed when you are full of immense dread knowing what the lie is and how the dramatic confrontation is going to come. but then when you see it all unfold and how deep and disgusting it was, and how many people both affected and that there's so much more horror going on than just the superficial point of "these two people are pathological liars."

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

morestuff posted:

Netflix stuff for March. Kind of a light month, but Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt looks funny, and I've been meaning to see Life Itself and The Man With The Iron Fists. How to Train Your Dragon 2 is probably a big get, as well.

Patch Adams and Third Rock from the Sun both rule, as far as my 13 year old self recalls

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Louie season 4 is the weakest one so far imo. There were definitely good moments and episodes but most of the Pamela stuff rubbed me the wrong way.

i agree. i know there were parts of the season I thought were good but I can't remember them because they all got buried beneath Louie's Hungarian Art House Adventure