Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Tried watching It's Such a Beautiful Day last night. Got about 5 minutes in before the fiancee had me turn it off because it was too weird and depressing. I love Hertzfeldt's past work (especially Rejected), but even I kinda didn't get it much early on. Does it get better or different?

Watched The Paw Project, a documentary about the damage declawing can do to cats of any size, how veterinarians look at declawing from a profit perspective instead of animal health perspective, and how little the public is really aware of any of this. My ex wife's cat had behavioral issues stemming from declawing (lots of arbitrary and damaging biting), so while a lot of viewers might find the sad music playing as cats struggled to walk or bit at people overwrought, or the directing very one-sided, it hit me pretty hard. It basically had me somewhere between teary mess and uplifted at various points. I'd already been against getting cats declawed, but I didn't realize some things, like how many LARGE cats like mountain lions or tigers in captivity were declawed, and how bad some of the side effects could be. I can't speak to the film's objectivity (they claim to have been rebuffed on efforts to secure interviews from pro-declawing veterinarian trade organizations), but I can say it's an issue that deserves some more public consideration as possible animal abuse hidden in plain sight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

Basebf555 posted:

Seems like that was pretty common for him, at least until he started getting more lead parts. No matter how small the part he always stood out, he was always memorable. Twister is usually the go-to example of Hoffman being awesome in a sea of poo poo. He's also the best villain in the Mission Impossible series.

He managed to steal scenes in the Big Lebowski, a movie where every character in every scene absolutely kills it.

Dude's fantastic. I need to see the Master.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

I'm that weird guy who's never seen the original Robocop beyond some clips here or there.

Would I be best served watching hte new before the old, or vice versa, or only the old?

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

outy posted:

My wife binge-watched House of Cards then spent a year trying to convince me to watch it. It got to the point where I was just not watching it to be contrarian, so I finally gave it a shot. She was right, it is brilliant.

I love that woman. I love her like a shark loves blood.

You sound like my fiancee as I tried to convince her to watch Firefly, BSG, the Wire, Arrested Development...current targets are Breaking Bad and Archer. On the other hand, she's trying to make me catch up to her in Orange is the new Black and House of Cards, so...

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Checks box for Primer.

Okay.

Goes to find a guide to explain it.

I liked it a lot. I read the basic reviews here saying it's confusing so I tried to put everything I had into deciphering what happened as it did and still failed pretty bad.

The soundtrack kinda reminded me of Trent Reznor's from The Social Network. Neat that the one guy did it, along with literally everything else in the film.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Anyone seen Dragons: Race to the Edge yet? I love the how to train your dragon movies (yes I'm a child shut up), didn't really watch the riders of berk series (tried watching before I watched either movie, wasn't much intrigued), was wondering if anyone who liked the movies had an opinion.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Puss in Boots is pretty good for a kids' show.

Yeah, refreshing good for how mleh the Shrek series got after 2.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

stickyfngrdboy posted:

I think people maybe feel that way only because it was set in Iraq. It was written by a frigging journalist, it's hardly telling everyone 'this is exactly accurate'.

one complaint according to Wikipedia is

a number of errors—among them wrong uniforms, lack of radio communication or misbehavior of the soldiers—would prevent service members from enjoying the film.

which actually made me laugh.

Hopefully no policemen have watched any film ever made which features policemen because they're gonna be really annoyed at most of them.

Dear makers of The Other Guys,

As a NYPD detective, I feel that the portrayal of NYPD detectives set by Mr. Samuel L. Jackson and Mr. Dwayne Johnson are highly problematic, for the following bulleted points:

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

coyo7e posted:

Lord of War is pretty fun. Recommend it.

I don't feel that he's a grifter, because he's not ripping people off and lying as much as just gaining skills and utilising them as his personal morals allow and his personal goals/needs direct. He's a thief, a sociopath, probably a killer.. But I can't recall him committing fraud or otherwise creating falsehoods throughout the movie - and I watched it twice. I'm sure he lies about some poo poo but he's actually performing a job and doing it far better than the other competition, for the desires of his customers. I'd say he's not as much a grifter as a product of society.

Early on he steals a bike and tries to pawn it, lying all the while. Seems kinda like grifting. He'd do any immoral act to get an umearned advantage. He just also happens to sometimes work hard to get an advantage too.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

regulargonzalez posted:

I've hesitated to watch this because the short story is really fantastic and a candidate for Stephen King's best writing. Not that the prose is anything special, but the subtlety in how the room slowly but inexorably weaves its spell is handled so, so well and just based on the trailer it looked more vulgar, for lack of a better term.
It's a great movie. It's not scary in a traditional horror sense, but it's just really oppressively frightening.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Season 4 of Longmire is out and so far it's the best season yet. It's always been a slower show, so giving it another 10-15 minutes an episode and not having to build dramatic beats around commercials has lead to a huge uptick in quality.

How was the show before that? GF loves everything nature/horses/outdoor Wyoming. Not a big procedural fan, but DOES have a Starbuck crush so maybe she'll stick through with it.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Repeat viewings of the Office allow people to realize that Jim is the ultimate "nothing is worthy, everything is beneath me" type of rear end in a top hat, and Jim and Pam were actively trying to become the most boring, milquetoast, 50's throwback nuclear-family possible.

Dwight was just a nerd with some weird ideas, Jim was actively a piece of poo poo.

Hint: there are no good people in The Office.

I don't know why you ever thought there were?

If you want to see a positive work environment with likable people Parks and Rec is that way.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

XenJ posted:

Never heard from before but I made it on my list sounds intrresting for me thank you

Cool didn' t see that thread before a big thx for an unexpected surprise 😘 just added to my bookmarks.

I'd recommend going in blind to Okja.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Just binged The Good Place, through S1 on Netflix and the on-demand episodes for S2.

I don't know why I didn't watch from the first episode. It's Michael Schur. He does nothing wrong.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

I'll agree with this. Just because there's a "twist" doesn't change anything about how the content is delivered. I really like it. However, if it's not for you, then that's okay too.

About the only show I can remember worth watching through a bad first season just to get to the twist is Agents of Shield. I agree that if you don't like genial humor with a pinch of darkness then you'll never warm much to The Good Place.

Binged stranger things S2. I think I have lower standards than most folks because despite how derivative it was of S1 I enjoyed the hell out of it.
Billy seducing Mike's mom had me rolling. The sisters in the city part was on noxious but survivable and clearly there to set up s3 stuff.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

precision posted:

I don't feel bad for Spacey, as he is way more rich and successful than I am and also HE WAS 14 YOU NONCE, but it would really suck if he legitimately doesn't remember and hasn't done anything else since then (though it appears he has done more, so gently caress him).

If anything comes out about Richard Dreyfuss, Gary Oldman, or Tim Roth, I am done with this planet.

I hope that last bits a joke. I mean, this site's got people who like dry jokes, so I am going to assume it is.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

precision posted:

Yeah but there's "lovely person" and "literally tried to gently caress a child".

Dreyfuss and Oldman are pretty lovely regressive assholes, but I guess that's a fair distinction. I thought you were just lionizing them, which is kinda scary. There aren't a whole lot of actors/directors anymore where I feel unambiguously "if this person turns out to actually suck I'm gonna be sad".

Having said that, Tim Roth is cool so far as I know, he just happened to be lumped in with two assholes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Dango Bango posted:

Finally getting around to watching Jean-Claude Van Johnson. I haven't laughed this hard at a TV show in years. This is amazing.

In what way?