Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Since its a new thread nobody will be annoyed if I mention 13 Assassins again. If you enjoy samurai films on any level, this is a must-watch. I know its blasphemy to some, but this movie is just as good as a lot of Kurosawa's stuff in my opinion. I wouldn't say its better, just that it lives up to that legacy, which I think is what Miike was trying to do. He was trying to make his ultimate samurai masterpiece and I think he succeeded.

There are about 10 characters in this film that are amazing and extremely memorable, even if it takes a few viewings to get their names exactly right. This film has an amazing overall story, and a lot of the individual characters have great little story arcs if you pay attention. It also has a great villain who, as any great villain does, also had a very memorable right-hand guy who kicks rear end.

Most people will talk about the action scene(s), and the fact that the entire last 40 minutes or so of the film is one relentlessly grueling battle. I'm just going to leave this one clip here, if you can watch it and still don't want to see more, quit movies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HwzVqcNaSU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

It's Terry Gilliam's perfect film. I love it so much.

It's as good as Brazil? I know its probably apples to oranges but I love Brazil and for some reason I've never gotten around to Muchausen.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

dongsweep posted:

I think the head guy was constantly blaming him, smacking him upside the head in public, essentially belittling him and then he saw an opportunity to become the head of the family and took it

Yea I got the feeling that guy had been waiting for that exact opportunity, he had been ready for it for a while. Like you said, he's shown being belittled by the boss at least a few times earlier in the movie.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
drat, I was sad when Philip Seymour Hoffman died but I just watched The Master for the first time on Netflix and now its really hitting me hard. This guy was like one of the top-3 living actors we had going when he died, it loving sucks.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Franchescanado posted:

Have you seen Synecdoche, New York? It is an amazing movie, but can be very hard to watch. The main character is obsessed with the fact that he is dying, and knowing how he died adds a bittersweet but honest weight to the performance.

I haven't no. I need to go back and see everything he's done, I've really only seen the more well-known stuff where he's rarely the lead.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

AFewBricksShy posted:

I didn't much care for the movie, but he's phenomenal in Charlie Wilson's War. I didn't like Hanks all that much in it, and I really don't care for Julia Roberts at all for no particular reason, but I'll still watch it if I see that it's on because Hoffman completely steals the movie.

Seems like that was pretty common for him, at least until he started getting more lead parts. No matter how small the part he always stood out, he was always memorable. Twister is usually the go-to example of Hoffman being awesome in a sea of poo poo. He's also the best villain in the Mission Impossible series.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Are the actual fight scenes any good in Man with the Iron Fists?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
So I probably only have time to watch one movie before March 1 and there a few still in my queue that are going to disappear. Should I watch The Elephant Man, Lair of the White Worm, or Leaving Las Vegas?

I like weird stuff, so I'd be leaning towards either of the first two, but then I know Leaving Las Vegas is maybe Cage's best performance and I really need to see that already.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Elephant Man it is.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

red19fire posted:

Bradley Cooper was on 60 minutes last week after the Oscars and he said that this is the movie that made him want to become an actor. He also does a Broadway play version which is supposed to be excellent.

I just finished watching it and I'm wrecked emotionally.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I'm very close to finishing a complete X-files rewatch so its all very fresh.

The series has about 200 goddamn episodes, and I think it maintains a very good ratio of quality for the entire run with the exception of the final season. Only the absolute best of the best(The Wire, Sopranos, Breaking Bad, a few others) stay more consistent over any length of time comparable to the X-files 9 seasons, and I don't think anybody's trying to hold it to that kind of standard.

X-files will always be remembered fondly because it did something that wasn't being done on network television at the time, and was just a hell of a lot of fun to watch week to week. Not every show needs to be The Wire.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

penismightier posted:

No doubt in my mind that X-Files is better than The Wire.

Its a stupid comparison anyway and would lead to an equally stupid argument. My fault for even bringing it up.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

A MIRACLE posted:

I loved Dredd and I couldn't even finish The Raid. And not because of the subtitles.

Does not compute.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

A MIRACLE posted:

I guess I'll give it another shot

Definitely not trying to judge, this is all obviously personal taste but I just can't imagine an action movie fan watching this scene: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uI-V0rrlZBo and not finishing the movie. As soon as I saw that poo poo I knew I was in love.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

QuickbreathFinisher posted:

Thanks everyone for the suggestions!

Especially this one. :v: I'm pretty sure you were just being cheeky but I love me some male eye candy. Looks like I've got quite a list.

Its actually good though. If you're into movies with stunning(even aside from the men) visuals I think you'll like it.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
There's a lot of Ken Burns stuff that you could definitely enjoy without being able to see it. I mean its better if you can but there's still a lot of narration and readings of first hand accounts.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I just watched The Fountain for the first time since its release and it was way way better than I remembered. It made me want to see Noah, so I'm pretty hyped that its popping up on Netflix so soon.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
America Unearthed makes Ancient Aliens look like a Herzog documentary.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Gilok posted:

While I agree that House of Cards is declining in quality each season, the first season was so good that there's a long way to go before it's actually bad. Unless you just don't enjoy the thing it's doing, which is fair.

For me I don't feel the overall quality has dipped that much, its just that the novelty of the Underwoods as characters has worn off. They felt really fresh in the first season and I wanted to see what they would get up to in each episode but now I feel like I know all of Frank and Claire's tricks. Claire leaving this season may be a good way to shake things up but we won't know that until we see where it goes.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

A MIRACLE posted:

what do people who live there call it? so many syllables

In Baltimore we call it "the city", or "downtown". If you live outside the city but still in Baltimore County its called "the county". gently caress proper nouns.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

kaworu posted:

God, it's so embarrassing. I found myself watching 50 First Dates last night. And liked it A LOT. I actually was in tears by the time they got the semi-surprise ending. And I hate rom-coms, and REALLY hate Adam Sandler movies in general and have for at least a decade and a half. I think I watched it because the Groundhog Day premise seemed a bit intriguing, but I got totally wrapped up in just... what a charming little film it was. And how loving awesome Drew Barrymore is, and how her and Adam Sandler have this great unexpected chemistry (they were really sweet together in The Wedding Singer too!

I don't know. I think if I had seen this 10 years ago when I was still really cynical and a teenager I would have despised it utterly, but now that I'm all old and sentimental the idea of making the person you love fall in love again with you every day is just undeniably romantic and sappy as hell and I just fall for that stuff. And Drew Barrymore is just so irrepressibly adorable it's fantastic :unsmith: I mean christ the movie even has adorable sea mammals what more do you want

Eh, 50 First Dates is one of the very few Sandler movies that does in fact have some effective pathos to it and the two lead performances are actually pretty decent. Maybe it is a Drew Barrymore thing because Wedding Singer is one of the others.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

osietra posted:

'No tears for the dead' isn't as good as 'The man from nowhere'.
It's worse than 'Safe', so Statham fans beware.

And no one ate Kimchi.

This is a very accurate ranking of these three similar films. The Man From Nowhere is by far the best of the bunch. It has the slowest buildup but the best payoff. Safe is very entertaining, especially if you like Statham, and the action is pretty consistent throughout(you could argue that leads to an exhausting pace that doesn't really work in the movie's favor). No Tears For the Dead doesn't have action on the same level as the other two, and the characters aren't really memorable at all. It is mildly entertaining though, and it sticks to the pattern established by the others that came before it, so if you like the "retired special-ops genius is forced back into the game to save an innocent" sub-genre than its worth a shot.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Chichevache posted:

I love Ridley Scott as a director, but he is pretty hit or miss. His most Oscar worthy film is Kingdom of Heaven , which is probably in my top 10.

Well I get that you're probably excluding Alien and Blade Runner because their sci-fi, but they are both just as Oscar worthy.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Sarchasm posted:

The King's Speech is fine, yeah. It's sort of like The Mighty Ducks, but with speech impediments instead of hockey.

Well The Mighty Ducks, as we all know, is one of the Oscars greatest oversights. Joshua Jackson really deserved that Best Supporting Actor nod.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I just noticed that Grizzly Man, The Exorcist, Blue Velvet, Tales From the Darkside, and New Nightmare are all on Netflix now. I don't think I saw these on any of the lists going into the month.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I rewatched Tales from the Darkside the other night. poo poo's dope.

Gonna watch that now, its one of the few horror anthologies I haven't seen yet.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
The climax of Close Encounters is absolutely amazing, I don't understand how someone could be unaffected by that.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I think A.I. is an under-appreciated masterpiece.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

magnificent7 posted:

Godammit stop discussing good movies and tell me what to watch on Netflix instead.

You should watch 13 Assassins.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

cat doter posted:

Left Behind starring Nicholas Cage in his most what are you doing Nicholas don't you have any standards anymore man role yet

Does he put his full effort into it? If he doesn't then his spirit is finally crushed, which I wouldn't want to see because it would make me sad.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

DangerDummy! posted:

Before or after Die Hard?

Empire of the Sun first to teach them about life, then Die Hard to teach them that sometimes you just have to run around barefoot and shoot some terrorists.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Chichevache posted:

I'm phone posting so this will be brief, but I absolutely love both The Killing and The Fall right now. What's another good, slow, dark murder mystery procedural on netflix? I'm not looking for Law and Order, btw.

How far are you into The Killing? Whatever the answer is you should probably stop now while its still in your mind as a good series.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Chichevache posted:

So far I'm getting a little fed up with the amount of red herrings, but otherwise it is fun enough.

You must have reached true enlightenment, or possibly you're the Buddha reincarnated. I had to quit during season 2 or I would have had to buy a new television every week.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Pretty surprised to see criticism of True Detective, if that's not good enough for you I'd really like to hear what shows are actually good. In the end its a police procedural, so yea its going to adhere to certain patterns of the genre, but its incredibly well made on any level you want to talk about. Two heavyweight actors at the height of their talents, gorgeous cinematography that feels more like a movie, a compelling plot, interesting dialogue that goes way beyond typical Law & Order crap, I dunno what else you would need.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

precision posted:

Nah, the predictions are usually 100% otm for me. I've found that it helps a lot if you rate a lot of more obscure movies and if you rate things where your enjoyment goes against popular opinion (I rated Pain and Gain 5 stars, for example)

Yea it really works well for more obscure stuff. For instance I watched every old Bava movie they had, and now Netflix assumes I will like old obscure horror movies from the 50's and 60's, which I do. I'm getting a lot of recommendations for that kind of thing now instead of just the newest giant crocodile CGI fest.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

That Works posted:

Not being a dick but what would a couple of those shows be? Curious because I'd like to check some out if I haven't already.

Even if there are ten better cop shows in the history of television, is that really saying anything bad about True Detective? The year it was airing I find it hard to believe there was anything in the genre at all close to that level of quality.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Fargo was close, but still not quite as good

I thought about mentioning Fargo but I thought that was last year, and True Detective the year before last.

Either way, an all-time top ten list of police procedurals that didn't include True Detective would almost definitely have a few entries that I'd disagree with. For me its top-3 alongside The Wire and Homicide.

Off the top of my head I can think of a few shows that people may conceivably place higher than TD, but not that many. NYPD Blue, The Shield, The Wire, Homicide, maybe Third Watch and Southland.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I don't even know how to converse with a person who liked Season 1 of The Killing more than True Detective. Its goddamn depressing is what it is.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

LORD OF BUTT posted:

The arcade I hang out at every now and then has a DK machine signed by Billy Mitchell. I kinda wanna Sharpie his name out because he's such a horrible fuckhead, but the owners would get indescribably pissed off at me for that, so my lizard brain must lie dormant.

If that arcade were within three hours of me I'd drive there myself and do it, but I suspect its too far away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

nate fisher posted:

I am on episode 6 season 2 of Banshee, and I love it. That said why would you even mention it with True Detective? They are completely different shows, doing completely different things.

Somebody said True Detective was not good so then we argued about that for a while. He said he could name ten cop shows off the top of his head that are better.