Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Yea I mean if shows are using the word gently caress and showing nudity on SyFy and USA then I guess I'm just wrong, but I really was not aware that was happening. What shows are we talking about?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Alterian posted:

If I remember correctly, wasn't it even a slighlty watered down "son of a bitch"?

I remember son of a bitch being almost AD Skinner's catchphrase. He called everyone a son of a bitch, but mostly Cigarette Smoking Man and Mulder. That's a pretty good early clue that they are father and son actually, they both have the ability to piss Skinner off just by existing.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

The Netflix ones does a better job of showing the disorganization and over promises of the festival, the Hulu doc does a better job showing what a scam artist Billy is. Say what you will about them paying him for an interview but it shows exactly the kind of person he is and his responses (and lack thereof) to questions only made him look worse. They're best watched back to back, if you ask me.

Yea it's weird because it's almost like they were purposely produced as companion documentaries. They really are best watched together because without the Hulu doc with the interview you're missing a huge piece of the situation, which is Billy's ridiculous narcissism.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Not sure exactly how recently, but Leave No Trace is now available on Prime. I actually haven't seen it myself but I've heard good things and I'm very much looking forward to a rare Ben Foster lead role.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

veni veni veni posted:

The Accountant was the dumbest portrayal of Autism ever put to film and was also a really bad movie. It was sort of entertaining though.

Yea I actually think its a very solid action movie overall but its hard to recommend because of how dumb the autism angle is.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Criminal Minded posted:

Polar was ridiculous trash and I enjoyed every second of it :allears:

The first half had way to many repetitions of that scene where the rival hitmen encounter some poor sap(s) and then mercilessly execute them. It dragged on and on.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

10 Beers posted:

I'm surprised at all the hate for Polar. It was a cheesy shoot em up movie with some silly performances. Have some beers while you watch!

Not enough shoot em up, it was more like here's a guy being executed, here's a gratuitous close-up of a woman's rear end, here's another guy being executed, here's a puppy being killed, one more brutal execution, ok fine here's Mads shooting some guys for a few minutes, movie over.

It was a slick looking, colorful film though, which I always appreciate.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I actually liked the Bundy series because it didn't focus too much on the graphic details of the crimes, it was a lot more about all the footage of Bundy so that you could really get a sense of how hosed up his personality was. It's probably the most comprehensive collection of footage like that on the subject I can think of, obviously because his case became such a media circus, but not many other serial killers have given so many statements and been filmed for as many hours as Bundy was.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Netflix has been pretty slick about taking me riiiight to the edge of cancelling and then there's always something that makes me not do it. Obviously a part of it is my own neuroses but any given month there's usually like that one thing that I really want to check out and that's all it takes to keep the sub going.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Hulu is good for TV stuff since they're owned in part by the networks and they've pulled a lot of stuff from Netflix, but Netflix has a much better selection of exclusive stuff that they produce/distribute. Network TV shows are basically all I use Hulu for at this point, I don't think I've ever watched a movie or any of their original stuff outside of Castle Rock.

Hulu actually does have a pretty impressive selection of movies, best thing to do is just look up a list every month or so and then manually add what you want to a watchlist.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Netflix used to have something like this but it was an incredible flop that everyone hated because it was creepy.

There's no need for it to be running on some fancy algorithm, just give me a option to have it randomly choose something from my existing watchlist. Sometimes I just don't feel like running circles in my own head for 15 minutes deciding what to watch.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Asnorban posted:

If I had a phone app that I could tie in to all my streaming services and just shake it to pull a selection from my watchlist I would use it extensively. The amount of time I waste cycling through all my options between services is a bit embarrassing.

I've actually been in the habit recently of perusing my various watchlists at work before I leave for the day, so that I have something in mind when I get home. It's pretty sad.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Wiggles Von Huggins posted:

i kind of forget that netflix will often remove many movies that you have watched in the past from the menus that you surf (other than the "previously watched menu"). my gf made her own account, and i was surfing its menus and going "holy poo poo there is actually a lot of very good movies on here. theyve just been removed from my menu".

Yea, the best way to make sure you know about stuff you've seen before is to actually use a PC and manually browse to the bottom of each genre category, and all of the stuff you've already watched will be sitting at the bottom, at the very end of the list. Then if you feel like watching again you can add it to your watchlist from there. I do that every October because there's always a bunch of great horror movies I forget Netflix has because they assume I wouldn't want to watch them again.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Sarchasm posted:

Do any of the streaming services have a respectable library of Hammer Horror? I'd be willing to pick up a new sub for a couple months just to go back and hit some of the high points.

I loving wish. Short answer is unfortunately no.

Many of them are available relatively cheap on DVD though, although I know we're in the streaming thread.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Sarchasm posted:

Yeah, I was hoping to get a little more for my money than renting every movie individually but I guess I don't have a lot of options.

Thanks!

A good rule of thumb to start is just stick to anything that has the combination of Peter Cushing+Christopher Lee, bonus points for if it was directed by Terence Fisher.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Unzip and Attack posted:

Hell or High Water is on Netflix and it's really good.

I've seen that movie three times now and every time I wish they'd spend more time in that restaurant ordering t-bone steaks.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
The Wailing is really an experience, very unique even if you've already seen a lot of other South Korean films. I gotta rewatch that at some point.

Fair warning, it's a pretty long movie but it's totally worth it.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Did anything ever come of the plagiarism accusations from Season 1? I know the end scene was lifted almost verbatim from an Alan Moore comic.

Nah, not enough there for actual action to be taken.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

tweet my meat posted:

Ninja Assassin is loving trash, really enjoyed it and wouldn't hesitate to recommend it.

I watch this garbage movie every few years, there's just something great about an ultra violent stylish ninja murder fest.

nate fisher posted:

I was not a fan of the tone shifts in The Wailing. It just felt all over place. While that can work at times, it just made the movie feel more like 3.5 hours long. I don't think it is bad, but I found it nowhere close to the hype. When it comes to Korean horror, I would take something like I Saw the Devil or Thirst over it.

You named two of the most critically acclaimed Korean films of the past 20 years though, it's really not controversial to think those are better than The Wailing.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I've seen it, and it's probably safe to assume I've seen anything comparably high-profile. I'm looking for weird indie poo poo, not even particularly out of preference but just because it's all that's left. :v:

You've seen most of the go-to suggestions, like when I read the description of what you wanted The Ritual was my first thought. What about The Void?

Also, it doesn't exactly fit all your criteria but if you haven't seen it, why not watch the best found footage horror movie of all time, As Above, So Below?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I saw both of those, and really enjoyed both. It's on the right track, at least?

Yea I mean it's just that Netflix only has so much that fits that criteria.

I've heard that The Windwill is at least decent, although I haven't seen it myself. Honestly Pan's Labyrinth is on Netflix so if I were you I'd just say gently caress it and rewatch that.

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Feb 27, 2019

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I probably ought to spring for Shudder one of these days.

A Shudder sub also allows you to go ask the horror thread for recommendations, where the real experts are. Without Shudder you're gonna get tons of recs that you won't be able to watch without it, we're all addicted to Shudder at this point.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

david_a posted:

They don’t have a lot of monster movies, much to my dismay (maybe there’s just less out there than I realize).

Horror has always been a low risk/high reward business, so many famous horror producers(Corman, HGL, Cunningham, etc.) got into it because they could make a potential money making film without having to go into foreclosure on their house. So for that reason ghosts and human slashers are usually featured the most in the genre overall. Designing a proper monster and then shooting it well so that it doesn't look goofy can be an expensive proposition.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Honest Thief posted:

I'm watching Behind The Curve, ten mins and this dude is a raging manchild, but he's got a point about how the belief is easily spread given that scientific explanations fall flat when flat earthers just have to go "hey, i don't see a curve there, explain that!"

I mean, the explanation isn't really all that scientific is it? Isn't it just that the flat earth people are complete morons? It's not like you have to recite a formula or teach them a complex scientific concept to explain it.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Someone recommended this to me ages ago and I somehow never got around to it; I'll guess I'll check it out + The Windmill (if for no other reason then because a Dutch horror movie about an evil miller sounds hilariously on the nose.)

Yea it definitely sounds like The Windmill was more what you were asking for, Under the Shadow is pretty good but it's definitely more of a ghost/demon/unseen supernatural force type movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Honest Thief posted:

Yeah, but the observational nature of it, and sugar pilled with a dose of conspiracy about the government sells it. It kinda poisons any chance of discourse surrounding it for them. But wow, this guy... He even cites game of thrones lol

I mean, if the person you're trying to convince won't even accept the basic premise that the human eye isn't able to observe all aspects of our existence then you aren't really gonna get anywhere in a whole lot of areas.