Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
drat after a weak month of May Nightcrawler in June makes up for it completely. I've been wanting to see that for months, came close to buying it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Nolanar posted:

What are some good options on Netflix for psychological horror? Jacob's Ladder remains the gold standard for me, if that helps narrow down what I mean.

Similar to Jacob's Ladder: The Machinist, American Psycho, Berberian Sound Studio

General psych horror recommendations: Oculus, Rosemary's Baby, I Saw the Devil, The Snowtown Murders, The Babadook.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Nolanar posted:

I've seen and really liked American Psycho and Rosemary's Baby, and the Babadook and Berberian Sound Studio have been on my list for a while. The rest of these sound great, thanks!

If I had to choose one to recommend it would be I Saw the Devil, which I feel is unique, I've not seen anything quite like it. Both Snowtown Murders and I Saw the Devil may not sound like psychological horror/thrillers when you read a quick description of them but they do actually focus quite a bit on what makes the characters tick, and both have a kind of unreal atmosphere to them.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

James Woods Fan posted:

I considered I Saw The Devil a mid-tier film in the ranks of Korean crime/revenge films. I just didn't think it was great.

What are some others that you've thought are as good or better? I'm honestly asking and in no way challenging you, I'm hoping for some recommendations because its a genre that Korea seems pretty drat good at.

What are some of the most prominent Korean directors who make these kind of films? I hate to admit it but I have a hard time distinguishing between different names of Korean directors, they don't stick in my mind like they should. I've seen the Vengeance trilogy, Oldboy and I Saw the Devil, but that's about it.

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 00:05 on May 28, 2015

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

fishtobaskets posted:

My favorite is The Man from Nowhere. The part where we discover the protagonist might be more than he seems is probably my favorite scene in any movie in the past 5 years. The fight choreography is sublime throughout, too.

Ah poo poo, I've seen that but I didn't realize it was Korean, I guess I thought it was Japanese or something.

Yea that may be the best example of the "ex-badass stumbles into some poo poo and the bad guys have no clue who they're loving with" sub-genre. The Jason Statham movie Safe has a very similar plot and is also very entertaining, although The Man From Nowhere is much better overall.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

K. Waste posted:

Oh, so kind of like what the U.S. does all the time.

It makes more sense when the U.S. does it because we Americans are incapable of enjoying entertainment if it isn't rooted in our own culture. The rest of the world seems to have developed that ability, I suppose by necessity.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

precision posted:

That's what annoys me most about people who are like "subtitles for everything, never make a good English dub because gently caress you". That's like saying you can't enjoy The Stranger unless you read it in the original French, when the author himself once said he preferred the English version of his own novel, and it also ignores people who honestly can't deal with subtitles very well.

For Werner Herzog's Fitzcarraldo, the original screenplay was written in German, but the film itself was shot in English because of the way the distribution was planned. Herzog claims that the German dub is the definitive version because it was the language that the dialogue was first written in, therefore the truest meaning of the words can only be understood in German.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

precision posted:

Not everyone watches every single film to get the maximum, "truest" version though. Like I'm not saying you should write a doctoral thesis on a film that you've never watched in its original language, I'm saying that for filthy casual moviewatchers who have genuine issues dealing with subtitles, there should be more quality English dubs.

I also understand that a lot of smaller productions don't have enough money to add an English track, which I totally respect. I'm just saying that if a movie can be dubbed, that option should exist.

I'm not sure where you got the idea that I'm disagreeing with you. I was using Fitzcarraldo as an example of a film where the director actually prefers the dubbed version. There's no simple answer except to give people as many options as possible, we're agreed on that.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Sarchasm posted:

That is a movie that people should watch. Really great stuff.

I've been waiting for this since the June lineup was announced. Can't wait to get home from work and watch it.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I guess people are probably tired of Nightcrawler at this point but GODDAMN, what a character. Gyllenhaal has created a character here that is absolutely mindblowing, if he ever tops this I'd be shocked. I'm sure everyone comes to their own realizations about Bloom at slightly different points in the film, but the way it allows the true nature of his character to slowly dawn on you is absolute genius. He's just so off-putting and weird, its easy to forget that he likely murdered, or at least severely beat that security guard in the first scene.

I loved the way he explains his career philosophy to Russo's character, and you can imagine that its absolutely the truth, just in the most twisted way possible. He's examined himself, identified his strengths and weaknesses, and is running with it. It just so happens that his weakness is his general hatred of other people, and his greatest strength is his absolute lack of any morality whatsoever. So he's using his strengths to work around his weakness just like his internet research told him to do! When he actually admits to Rick that he hates people, I was scared as if I was watching an effective horror movie.

Its absolutely criminal that Gyllenhaal didn't even get an Oscar nomination for this, there's no better performance out there this year, I just don't get it.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yea I wish there was an active Nightcrawler thread I could read and post in, but in here I saw at least three other people post their Nightcrawler opinions just in the last page so I figured I was late to the party.

Edited to add actual content: I noticed Troll 2 is now on Netflix. I'm sure everyone knows that its not a good movie in any way but I'm glad I finally got a chance to see it because I've watched the documentary about three times without that context.

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jun 11, 2015

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Zombie Raptor posted:

Is there not? I mean, I haven't checked to see if such a thread exists, I just sort of assumed it did.

Well, at least that's how it'd seem, recently. In the last few years his choices of roles have really gotten more consistently solid.

With that in mind--while it no longer seems to be up on any streaming services that I have, I was wondering how you guys felt about End of Watch. It's another that I've heard some mixed reviews about, and regardless of which service of mine it briefly appeared on, I didn't get the chance to view it before it was taken down.

There is a Nightcrawler thread, I just found it a few pages in. I'll repost my opinion there and see if it starts to get a little more active now that the movie is on Netflix.

End of Watch is decent, nothing amazing but Gyllenhaal is of course good in it and his relationship with his partner feels very genuine. Its also fairly unique as a found-footage movie that isn't horror(some of the scenes feel like a horror movie though).

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

A MIRACLE posted:

What are some good action thrillers I should check out? I've watched every comedy on Netflix I think. I like movies like shooter, and basically anything with Liam neeson

Maybe try Jack Reacher. Unless you have a problem with Tom Cruise for some reason you'll probably like it.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

precision posted:

:agreed:

Quick Nightcrawler question:

Was there anything in the film to suggest he had caused the rival camera van to crash? I was assuming the whole time that he would do something like that, so when it happened I kept thinking "Did I miss something?"

I think you are absolutely supposed to think he cut the brake line or something like that, but I like that you never definitively know. Similar to how you don't know precisely what he does to that security guard in the first scene.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

hemale in pain posted:

Naw, I think it's like 100% certain he cut the guys brakes. That's why he wanted to go to a van crash rather than the other crime. I'd also guess he didn't murder the security guard for a watch.

I think he actually did kill the guy. He saw Lou's face very clearly and if he was allowed to live he could have reported the theft. Lou tried to talk himself out of the situation because that would be the least risky play, but failing that I think he would have had no hesitation in killing that guy. The watch was just a bonus.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Jose Oquendo posted:

Wait there are actually people who think otherwise?

I absolutely think he did it, the point I was trying to make in my initial post was that the movie doesn't hold your hand, it lets you figure it out for yourself. When you add it all together its pretty obvious what happened though.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
As a kid Beakman's crazy hair and outfit fooled me into thinking he was much younger than he actually was. Seeing it today its painfully obvious he was like in his mid-30s.

Edit: Mid 40s actually!

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Transformers Age of Extinction is worth watching to see just how low Michael Bay can sink. There is not a single thing that man won't shill for.

Not just painfully bad product placement. Clunky, terrible political propaganda. A Hong Kong security officer actually shouts, “We gotta call the central government for help.”

This is followed up a quick cut to Beijing, where the defense minister confidently states, "The Central Government will protect Hong Kong at all costs. We have fighter jets on the way.”

Just. Yuck.

Hey, at least its a tight, streamlined TWO HOURS AND 45 GODDAMN MINUTES. I seriously thought that was a typo when I saw the listing on Netflix.

Also I watched the entire thing and I must have missed the explanation of what the hell the dino-bots were, and why they were on that ship. Prime just finds them and is like "oh poo poo yea, ancient warriors!", and that's all the information I remember being given. I probably had a few mini-strokes during this grand epic though, so I may have missed some exposition.

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Jun 19, 2015

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

nate fisher posted:

The Guest, while it is not the best movie of 2014, it might be my favorite of 2014. I loved everything about it.

Hell yea, Netflix has been rewarding my irrational cheapness recently. Instead of paying $5 to rent I just pine away for months on-end hoping Netflix will help me out. So far this summer its been working out, first Nightcrawler, now this!

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
When's The Guest gonna pop up on Netlix? Next week?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

cat doter posted:

God drat guys, season 2 of Bojack Horseman is so good. Even the dumb offhand jokes and wacky hijinks type stuff is really good this season, they really figured that show out. There's also a really clever layer of stuff going on underneath but I don't wanna say much more since it's fun to spot on your own. What a great show.

I'm a sucker for the animal jokes/puns. Like how in the first episode there is a movie director named Goose Van Sant, and you never even see him but you know he's got a goose head.

There are scenes that aren't all that funny but it doesn't even matter because of poo poo like a seal in a 50's beehive hairdo waiting tables in the background.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yea, add me to the pile of those who really enjoyed The Guest. I had read a little too much about it so I didn't go in completely blind but it was still a really fun ride. Wingard is definitely someone I'll be paying close attention to, I look forward to whatever he does next.

That's also two really good performances now by Maika Monroe, I just saw It Follows recently as well.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

LogisticEarth posted:

I was glad to see there was a new season up because I just wrapped up season 3 of Sons of Anarchy and that turned out to be a bit of a slog to get through. Should I forge ahead? I've heard negative things about the quality of the show as it drags on.

I'd say you should probably stop now. The only entertainment I got out of the last few seasons was the SA thread, other than that it was wasted time I wish I had used differently.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Chichevache posted:

The one that came out first was some absolute tripe called The Legend of Hercules. You know how movie studios do when they try to undercut each other's projects. The one with the Rock is actually really fun. Great acting, fun story, good dialogue, wonderful effects, and a fantastic sense of humor. It's a bit gory for PG13, but I would definitely watch it with kids.

Totally agreed, I just watched Hercules yesterday. If you like some of the Rock's more underrated stuff like Scorpion King and The Rundown then you're guaranteed to like Hercules. I thought it was actually shot incredibly well for a movie I wasn't expecting to be very good. And if you're on the fence, it has Ian Mcshane in a really fun role too.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Chichevache posted:

I can see why you wouldn't like it. It definitely isn't on the same level as TPB, and I don't want to overhype it. It is some good fun though.

Yea I think to compare it to The Princess Bride, which for me is one of the top 5 fantasy films ever, is going a little too far. But you could do a whole lot worse on a Sunday afternoon.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Looks like a weak month overall but I'm pretty excited to watch White God at least.

Edit: Oh poo poo Jiro Dreams of Sushi is leaving Netflix, guess I better watch it for the tenth time before it goes.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
If you just looked at the cover for The Guest and saw a guy who looks like a Ryan Gosling type, wearing a tight shirt, with a brooding expression, you might jump to the conclusion that its going to be like Drive.

From my experience working at a Blockbuster Video years ago I know that this is how a lot of people evaluate what movies they'll watch/rent. If the cover makes it seem like something similar to that other awesome movie that came out recently, they'll jump at it. Then if it turns out to be something completely different its the movie's fault.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

stickyfngrdboy posted:

Action films are great fun. The Guest isn't really fun. The first half was promising, but then it turned into a really bad action film out of nowhere, which would have been much more forgiveable had the action been any good. It was Blacklist level action. Which means not very good.

The lead guy was decent looking though I expect to see more of him.

I agree with you that the action in the movie isn't exactly top-notch, but there's barely any in it. For me the "fun" part of the film was the entire first three-quarters of it where you're slowly being clued in to just how hosed up David really is.

Probably my favorite moment was around halfway through right after David has killed the gun-runners and stolen their gigantic stash of guns. At that point I'm thinking "Well, this guys isn't what he seems and he's probably pretty dangerous", but that immediately jumps to an entirely new level a few scenes later when he tells the teenage son that when someone messes with him he should bring a knife to school and go to their house and burn it down with their family inside. Things escalate like that several times during the film, that's what I enjoyed the most.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

OldTennisCourt posted:

I do have to say, as interesting as the crime was, I really hated the lame narration thing Talhotblonde did. The crime was dramatic enough, there was no need for some overwrought "How...how could I have known this would lead.....to my death?" narration over it.

Yea I agree. That crap ruined it for me and I didn't even finish the movie, I turned it off and read the Wikipedia article about the case instead.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I agree that Platoon is a more effective anti-war film that Full Metal Jacket, if only because Kubrick only makes beautiful films. Its harder to focus on the horrors of war when every 5 minutes you're going "Wow, look at that amazing shot!"

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

DangerDummy! posted:

It's my favorite Malkovich performance. He plays a pretty cookie cutter villain, but he's so completely unhinged and intense that he elevates the character and the movie itself fantastically. Sort of like what Jeremy Irons did for Die Hard with a Vengeance.

Its a pretty scary performance, I was 9 when it came out and Malkovich's character scared the crap out of me.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I don't remember The Hurt Locker being marketed the same way stuff like Lone Survivor and American Sniper were, it was marketed more as just a really tense action/thriller.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

morestuff posted:

It's really any profession at all, others are usually just too boring to be dramatized.

Yea, this is a good point. Even when a film is trying to portray a boring and tedious job they never go far enough because then who'd watch it? A true-to-life Clerks would be 99% Dante sitting in silence, flipping through magazines and maybe once a shift an interesting character comes in and converses with him. The restaurant staff in Waiting is ten times more humorous, interesting, and charismatic than any place I've ever worked.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Jack Gladney posted:

Those two movies were made by people distilling their actual experiences in those jobs into a film, though. Most movies about cops and lawyers are made by people who learned about them by watching L.A. Law when they were 10.

I think the same principle is at work though. I don't think the cops and lawyers in movies are wrong because of ignorance, its because the people making the film want more action/drama and less tedium. Kevin Smith knows that ten different wacky characters don't come into a convenience store to have hilarious conversations every night, but he wanted to use the storytelling device of everything happening in one night, so he sacrifices a little bit of realism for it.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Technetium posted:

I watched Collateral again the other day and man that movie is still great. There were a couple of shots in the taxi that seemed really low resolution/grainy which was kind of weird. I wish Tom Cruise wasn't crazy because he's a really good action guy.

Those shots looked like that in the theatre too, I assume its a purposeful choice by Mann but I don't know enough about technical stuff to explain it.

The scene where Cruise sees a wolf and that Audioslave song plays is awesome, as is the movie in general.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

NESguerilla posted:

I totally forgot they made a Wing Commander movie starring in the moment 90's teen movie heart throbs. What a weird thing to exist. I might have to watch it.

Yea I'm feeling the same way but I haven't yet figured out what extremely potent drug/alcohol cocktail will be most helpful in seeing me though the experience.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

coyo7e posted:

I don't think it's really that people don't care about the west, it's just that they care differently about it then we did as a society, once upon a time. Ravenous would be a prime example of a modern "Western" for instance, where the depravity and misery and desperation are all brought to the fore, as much as the scenery and the six shooters.

Interesting that you bring up another Guy Pierce film because The Proposition is one that I'd consider a modern Western, it just happens to not take place in the American west.

For me the only "true" Westerns were made during the time of Ford and Wayne, that's when there was at least some romance left in the idea of the West. Ford and Wayne also made what could be considered the first revisionist Western, The Searchers, really the genre begins and ends with them.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Its fun to watch a Kurosawa film and then the Western that it inspired. Yojimbo/Fistful of Dollars and Seven Samurai/Magnificent Seven being the primary examples.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I do this kind of thing constantly during October with horror movies, so that's almost like cheating.

My go-to double features are:

From Beyond/Re-Animator
Planet of the Vampires/Alien
Halloween/Black Christmas
Halloween III/Trick R Treat
The Fog/Prince of Darkness
Friday the 13th/Twitch of the Death Nerve

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Franchescanado posted:

I don't get this one at all?

Why not go with another horror anthology, like Creepshow (which also has a comic book style)?

Halloween III's plot involves a company that manufactures Halloween masks for kids, its one of those movies that feels like it should actually be watched on Halloween night. I feel the same way about Trick R Treat, its all about Halloween traditions.