Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Seeing The Stuff, makes me wish Q: The Winged Serpent was on Instant Watch :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I may be in the minority, but I think Stray Dog is his best movie.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Inspector Hound posted:

I've only seen the first episode of Danger 5, but I love it. It's like Team America meets Darkplace. There are definitely some slower parts, but there's a lot of hits too and I lost my poo poo when their boss has an eagle head.

And Chestbridge has the 'Sit-Down' gun...

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
I'm watching Rodan. Giant supersonic dinosaurs == best dinosaurs.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
I'm binging through the early Toho Studios kaiju films. It is a fever dream.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
Rodan is pretty awesome.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
Oh American Mary. I really don't like excessive gore, but that movie is just so loving weird I actually enjoyed it...and I felt really ashamed afterwards.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

magnificent7 posted:

I just watched 3/4 of that poo poo punchline snark fest. gently caress that movie. It does not take a wild turn. It does not hide a secret hilarity. It's a script assembled by tweets.

best review on Netflix:

I sort of agree. This movie was for people not me. It was well directed and it actually had more of a script than half the poo poo that gets released, but I thought it was awful. I did watch the whole thing because I hate myself.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
The Brothers Grimm is pretty entertaining.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Wiggles Von Huggins posted:

I know I am going to love everything about God's Not Dead except the actual message of God's Not Dead. I can't wait.

I wish God Told Me To was on Instant Watch.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Short Penguin posted:

I'd move on, the second is weirder. I enjoyed the video game fight scenes, but...it's not everyone's cup of tea.

I liked both Nightwatch and Daywatch. The second one is played for comedy a lot more.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

K. Waste posted:

Seriously, I was screen-grabbing stills the whole way through. I feel really bad that no matter what Paul Verhoeven did in his entire career making films in America, people still never loving caught the net. I'd honestly place Showgirls above RoboCop, and just below Starship Troopers in terms of his best American films. It's that good. (Context: Total Recall is unbeatable, basically. He should have just retired after that.)

I would hate Troopers so much less if he hadn't used that title.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
Change the title.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

precision posted:

Well, it is the only Heinlein story where the main character isn't an author self-insert who time travels and fucks his own mother.

e: I kid, Job: A Comedy of Justice had no motherfucking and was actually pretty good

Also any of his juveniles, Puppet Masters, Podkayne, Glory Road, Moon is a Harsh Mistress...etc.

K. Waste posted:

Because Robert A. Heinlein's book was just so good....

And yes it is.

precision posted:

Space Marines

Perfect title.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
I only knew Lake Bell from Surface.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
4.) Can you appreciate cock based cursing?

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

GonSmithe posted:

It will have every HBO show that has ever aired, every documentary they have made, and whatever current movies are in their rotation.

Oh gently caress..that means my cousin will be watching ARLI$$ non-stop.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Watermelon City posted:

If you like 70s conspiracy thrillers like Three Days of the Condor or Day of the Jackal, I recommend The Boys From Brazil. There are several big name actors in it including a young Steve Gutenberg who plays an amateur Nazi hunter!

Marathon Man too!

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

HP Hovercraft posted:

The Friends of Eddie Coyle is the correct answer here. I don't know if it's streaming anywhere but just find it and watch it any way possible.

Read the book while you're at it.

God what a good and bleak movie. Robert Mitchum and Peter Boyle at their absolute best. Peter Yates directed this five years after Bullitt and ten years before he directed Krull.

Humbug Scoolbus fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Mar 18, 2015

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
Bound and Buffalo Soldiers I really liked both of those.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

GORDON posted:

Does Portlandia ever get any better? I have watched the first five eps of the first season, and as much as I enjoy watching hippies and hipsters get mocked, the show barely makes me smile from time to time.

It has Fred Armisen in it so no.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Real Name Grover posted:

Seriously though guys this show was pretty much made with goons in mind

And as always, Kill Hitler!

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Abu Dave posted:

Alot of people talk up Shadow of the Vampire; is it actually a scary movie or what exactly is it and is it really worth a watcH?

Willam Dafoe is great in it as Max Shreck, and it's got Malkovich as Murnau the director. It's a weird but cool movie.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

ravenkult posted:

Can I get some recs for movies similar to Rear Window? I've seen Body Double, Disturbia and The Burbs.

Also any movies about secluded cabins, houses, wilderness and so on.

Cabin in the Woods

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

ravenkult posted:

Can I get some recs for movies similar to Rear Window? I've seen Body Double, Disturbia and The Burbs.

Not on any streaming service that I know of, but The Bedroom Window is a decent film in that genre.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
Also the 1954 Diabolique. It's not on streaming but Netflix does have the DVD.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

cyberia posted:

It doesn't need to be on Netflix specifically but I couldn't find a 'recommend a movie thread' sooo can anyone recommend a good movie to watch as part of a double feature with Die Hard?

Executive Decision

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
Just watched Zak Penn's Atari: Game Over documentary which is all about the E.T. Game cartridge (Well other stuff too, but the cartridge is a major part) including the search and excavation of the landfill. It was pretty interesting.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Turambar posted:

A second season of Cutthroat Kitchen was just added. I normally don't watch any cooking shows, but I like this one.

Synopsis: "Four competing chefs are handed $25,000 and can use the money to either help themselves or sabotage their rivals."

Stuff like: How much of your money are you willing to give up to replace all the meat from one of your opponents with spam?

The only cooking show I've ever liked.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

crondaily posted:

"For $5300 Humbug Schoolbus has lost his ability to like things."

drat you! I thought losing tasting privileges was bad!

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

mr.capps posted:

Its all worth it for the rare moments when you think someone has gotten so incredibly hosed over like that and has been hit with all the hindrances, but yet still comes out on top.

There is a Season 6 episode that exemplifies that.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Crank is ok but Dredd is like 10x better

They're both fantastic. Urban and Statham are both obviously having so much fun.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Franchescanado posted:

Are there any good documentaries on Amazon or Netflix on creativity and/or creative people. I'm trying to stay productive with my own pursuits, and watching documentaries about others really helps fuel my work ethic.

A few examples:

Beauty is Embarrassing
The Devil & Daniel Johnston
Jiro Dreams of Sushi
Jack Kerouac: King of the Beats
Gonzo
Bukowski: Born Into This
The Scream Factory
The American Scream
Birth of the Living Dead
Gigantic: A Tale of Two Johns
Greenwich Village: Music that Defined a Generation
No Direction Home
Exit Through The Gift Shop

I'd prefer a concentration on an individual, and their medium doesn't have to be specific, just something about creativity and the act of creating.

Ray Harryhausen: Special Effects Titan

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Franchescanado posted:

Are there any good documentaries on Amazon or Netflix on creativity and/or creative people. I'm trying to stay productive with my own pursuits, and watching documentaries about others really helps fuel my work ethic.

A few examples:

Beauty is Embarrassing
The Devil & Daniel Johnston
Jiro Dreams of Sushi
Jack Kerouac: King of the Beats
Gonzo
Bukowski: Born Into This
The Scream Factory
The American Scream
Birth of the Living Dead
Gigantic: A Tale of Two Johns
Greenwich Village: Music that Defined a Generation
No Direction Home
Exit Through The Gift Shop

I'd prefer a concentration on an individual, and their medium doesn't have to be specific, just something about creativity and the act of creating.

Just finished Showrunners which is about producing television. Fascinating stuff.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Probably seen every Harryhausen thing there is, but gently caress it.

Seeing people like Cameron, Spielberg, Tippett, Muren, Jackson, and Dante going all fanboy on him is pretty :3:

(I have most of his stuff including the the puppetoons)

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Darthemed posted:

The Principal, The Substitute, Stand and Deliver, High School High, Only The Strong.

This movie is so cheesy and good.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Chichevache posted:

Looked it up, saw "capoeira" and started laughing. Then I saw who the star of the film is.

Watching this now.

I saw it in the theater specifically because of who the star was.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
I keep reading that as the Walter Hill movie 'The Driver' and getting very confused. I'm old and it's a better movie in my opinion.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

LORD OF BUTT posted:

I mean, Drive does crib a decent amount from that movie.

Ryan O'Neal is almost zen-like in it. That and Michael Mann's 'Thief' (not the Richard Crenna/Angie Dickinson one), are the movies I think of when somebody says neo-noir.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

NESguerilla posted:

I liked Drive because it's one of the only movies out there that felt sort of close to No Country For Old Men in it's tone. If that post makes sense to anyone I'd welcome recommendations along those lines.

Michael Mann's 'Thief' with James Caan. Amazing movie.