Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
The Last Waltz is the only thing I'm slightly interested in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

LORD OF BUTT posted:

Also hopping on the "not a big fan of ET or Close Encounters" train, though I do like War of the Worlds decently enough.

I agree

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
Sense8 and Danger Mouse. June looks pretty drat good to me.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Special Forces - French action movie - entertaining

Basically Tears of the Sun in Afghanistan.

I just double featured Special Forces with Soldiers of Fortune (a Christian Slater movie) both of them were pretty good.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Nolanar posted:

What are some good options on Netflix for psychological horror? Jacob's Ladder remains the gold standard for me, if that helps narrow down what I mean.

World's Greatest Dad

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Fayez Butts posted:

This but for real. It's a legit good movie.

I was being serious. It is a thriller at its core.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

a worthy uhh posted:

The Last Waltz

This forever.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
It's actually good.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

MacGowans Teeth posted:

Kickboxer is finally up! It's mainly worth seeing for the dance sequence and some of the funnier training parts.

Now you can follow along with Capheus on Sense8!

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

precision posted:

Just noticed The Art of the Steal is on Netflix. Really fun caper movie with Kurt Russell, Jay Baruchel, Matt Dillon. Totally worth your time.

Seconding. Also has Terence Stamp and Jason Jones as anti-buddy cops.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
Arrow is pretty good.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
The color one with the Air soundtrack is a restored version of the original hand colored print and it's pretty awesome.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
Check out Bruiser with Jason Flemyng and Peter Stomare. A George Romero movie about a man who wakes up to find his face is missing and has been replaced by a white featureless mask.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zg3FCQLRWE

Granted the trailer is pretty awful.

Humbug Scoolbus fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Jun 19, 2015

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
Ooo The Wrecking Crew!

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
The scene where he jumps off the crumbling stone wall is where he punched a hole through his skull.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

fliptophead posted:

I don't get it either. That movie rocks and just this weekend I uncovered my copy of the comics that were released around the same time. They really put a lot of effort into those as well.

The original Rocketeer series by Dave Stevens from back in the 80s was amazing.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Chichevache posted:

The One I Love is on netflix. Just like Creep, go in as blind as possible.

Yup. I'm not saying he is on their level in raw talent, yet, but I lump the three of them together as mainstream actors who are willing to branch out and try really different roles. They're not one-note character guys, they're willing to try really extreme and disturbing roles that, for some reason or other, really stand out to me. Tom Hardy is a bit like that as well, though outside of Locke (which is amazing!) he usually plays varying degrees of "tough guy".

I watched Creep blind and hated it. Totally the wrong kind of movie for me. If I had heard the plot, I would have passed on it in a second and not wasted my time.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Chichevache posted:

Did you at least enjoy Duplass' performance? Even with movies I dislike I at least enjoy seeing interesting performances. Or at least I try enjoying them. Doesn't always work. :shrug:

The movie pissed me off so much I didn't enjoy anybody's performance by the end. It was a prime example of why I normally spoil myself on TV and movies.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

NESguerilla posted:

What about it did you hate so much?

Found Footage Slasher film

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
I didn't like the Maniac remake either.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

COOL CORN posted:

Any suggestions for a really good nail-biting thriller? My wife asked me to find something that fits that, and I'm sure there's a gem out there somewhere.

I wish it was on streaming, but I have to recommend the original Diabolique

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

morestuff posted:

Diabolique actually is streaming, on Hulu.

Outstanding! That is a pro-click movie if you like thrillers.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
Wyrmwood: Road of the Dead (2015)

Mad Max + Zombies + Psychic Shenanigans :iia:

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
In the Line of Fire (1993)

I really like this movie because of the Malkovichiness

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

origami posted:

I'm not mad though just disappointed

I had exactly the same experience with The Guest. It was just 'eh' to me.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
The Wrecking Crew is a fantastic music documentary

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

K. Waste posted:

Thief pretty much rules. I wish Bad Lieutenant was streaming so I could double feature it with that.

Too bad Walter Hill's The Driver isn't up there.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Stairmaster posted:

Did anyone see undisputed which is laying around on Netflix? it had a weird choice for a boxing film in telling the audience multiple times the plucky underdog is probably actually going to win. It tricked me into thinking the antagonist was actually the protagonist for like 90% of the film.

Walter Hill is one of my favorite all time directors. Check out his 1975 Charles Bronson/James Coburn boxing movie Hard Times.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

NESguerilla posted:

I totally forgot they made a Wing Commander movie starring in the moment 90's teen movie heart throbs. What a weird thing to exist. I might have to watch it.

I saw that in the theater when I was on Vicodin from a nasty back injury. It was one of the most surreal experiences of my life with the pain and the drugs and the awful movie.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
Mad Max/Wyrmwood

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Basebf555 posted:

Last Man Standing was always a guilty pleasure of mine.

Another fine Walter Hill movie.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

That Works posted:

Never seen it

Swan-n-n-n-n-n!!!

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
'Little Black Dress' and 'Bitchin' in the Kitchen' are the only ones I can remember.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Zesty Mordant posted:

I like Nic Cage and I did not think Leaving Las Vegas was good at all. Cage is good, I should say, but the movie is not.

I hated the movie, but Cage is absolutely fantastic.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
Vampire's Kiss, Drive Angry(I really don't know if it's underrated but Cage and Fichtner are fantastic in it), Con Air (repeating this because it's Con Air)

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

NESguerilla posted:

It's been a bit since there has been a Netflix horror discussion in this thread. Anyone notice any gems in there lately? I think I may have already watched most of what is worth watching, but I could go for a decent competenty directed horror film tonight.

Watched Dark Skies last night and it wasn't terrible. it pretty much shits out at the end but I thought it was entertaining at least.

It's on youtube but Argento's Phenomena is still amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nd765s-PFX0

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
I saw a 35mm print the first time and it blew my mind. It's probably my favorite Argento because he just goes for it in that movie. Psychics, serial killers, chimps with straight razors, Donald Pleasance, Jennifer Connelly, creepy Swiss boarding schools, glaciers...:iia:

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Warm und Fuzzy posted:

The internet is going to freak out when everyone discovers Monster Squad. Hopefully it gets the attention it deserves.

Shane Black's first big movie script!

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
Just rewatched Shocker after hearing about Craven. I remember seeing The Hills Have Eyes when it came out. One of the first R rated movies I watched without having to sneak in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
I watch everything off a HTPC so this Hulu news makes me happy. I was fine with free and having to watch ads. But paying and having to watch ads annoyed the poo poo out of me.

edit: They just added Scanners to the Criterion Collection guess I know what tonight's movie is.

Humbug Scoolbus fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Sep 2, 2015