Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Lil Mama Im Sorry posted:

I'm here to second It's Such A Beautiful Day. Everyone should watch it.

I'm thirding it, it's a wonderful little thing. And it's only an hour long, but manages to pack so much in that short of a time. It's not often a film gets me to tear up, but It's Such A Beautiful Day did.

stickyfngrdboy posted:

The Act of Killing, though, is maybe the best documentary film I've seen on Netflix. Incredibly difficult to watch, in parts, but a very creative way to tell a very horrible tale.

The Act Of Killing is loving amazing. It's such a brutal movie tackling horrific subject matter in an almost flippant way, because that's how those who commit genocide see it. It's unlike anything else I've ever seen.

Junkie Disease posted:

Ravenous needs to be on the list of overlooked cool movies. Its on Netflix the soundtrack is great the acting is bonkers and its a tense period piece horror movie.

I love Ravenous. It's a bit of a goofy cannibal flick that has stellar performances and a knockout soundtrack. It takes its central ideas and runs with them, making a really wild, fun movie. Also, again, the soundtrack.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2V-KLn_PgQg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Junkie Disease posted:

As opposed to the serious high brow cannibal flicks? Hannibal cat suck an egg.

I'd definitely say that Silence of the Lambs and Cannibal Holocaust are more serious about cannibalism than Ravenous. I haven't seen Hannibal, but by all accounts that's a good thing.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

thrawn527 posted:

This is only the second feature film this director made. I never saw Crank, because it looked like a by-the-numbers action flick. But now? I think I have to watch it. I know it won't be as crazy as Detention (I mean, how could it be?) but is it insane as well?

Crank and Crank 2 are both fun, but the movie you're thinking of is Torque, which is pretty good. It's like half the cast and crew recognized the joke, and half didn't.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Nice, more Archer, more Mad Men, and Teen Witch! :woop:

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

K. Waste posted:

So Showgirls actually loving rules. gently caress the haters, Paul Verhoeven is the man.

Hell yeah. It's so ridiculously trashy and beautiful at the same time.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Change the title.

It's a good title because it uses some of the ideas of Heinlein's book, and mocks them for the fascism they are.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Starship Troopers, Showgirls, Robocop, and Total Recall all own hard.

I agree with this. I need to check out Basic Instinct, which is also an American movie of his that's available on Netflix.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

flatluigi posted:

There's a bunch of stuff expiring in March off of Netflix, what's must-see before it goes? http://wgntv.com/2015/02/24/whats-new-on-netflix-in-march/

Assume I've seen none of it.

Definitely watch Seven before it leaves. The Grey is a surprisingly good film, and is more existential drama than Taken with wolves, which is how it was marketed. If you like horror, Fright Night is a blast.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Short Penguin posted:

Original or Remake? It's my opinion the original is the superior one. :colbert:

I haven't seen the the remake, so I only pass judgement on the original, which is a lot of fun. Is the remake even on streaming?

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Pander posted:

I'm that weird guy who's never seen the original Robocop beyond some clips here or there.

Would I be best served watching hte new before the old, or vice versa, or only the old?

The original Robocop is a classic, watch it asap.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Taxi Driver is on Netflix now, so if you've never seen it, you should really get on it.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Peep Show is hilarious, but it's an incredibly hard show to watch because of how extremely socially awful the two leads are. They have no idea how to react without hurting themselves, but they go through with their dumb schemes anyway.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Thirded. It's full of hatred for how oppressive America and capitalism are, and features fiery performances. It's still incredibly relevant, even though it was made while America was still involved with the Vietnam War. It's a gut-punch of a film.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Wilhelm Scream posted:

It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, the best goddamn comedy on Netflix.

Always Sunny is really good. I've spent a good amount of my recent free time rewatching Always Sunny, and it's a drat funny show about horrible people. It's a more nihilistic Seinfeld; part screwball comedy, part black comedy about assholes loving up the lives of everyone they come into contact with, and never facing any severe consequences. The characters are also really well-drawn, and have solid personalities the writers/actors can play up. The acting is phenomenal, and the characters all fit well into their parts. It's ridiculously entertaining.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HilyOLWzrM

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

NESguerilla posted:

The Cable Guy is a pretty good, weird movie and I don't know why it got panned so much when it came out. Watching it again I can only assume it was too dark for what people wanted out of Jim Carey at the time?

It's really dry and dark for a Jim Carrey movie of that era, so that's probably why it probably didn't do well. I like it a lot, and I laugh to myself every time I think about the Medieval Times scene.

Speaking of Ben Stiller movies, his magnum opus Zoolander is also on Netflix, and if you haven't seen that one yet, you should. It's an incredibly well-made, hilarious satire of the fashion industry, with some good acting and guest stars to boot. It's a movie I thought was okay the first time around, but after 2 or 3 times I realized I loved it.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

ravenkult posted:

Also any movies about secluded cabins, houses, wilderness and so on.

Evil Dead 2.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Marketing New Brain posted:

The Double http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1825157/ has at least one long sequence I remember that's a direct homage to Rear Window. On the whole the movie more closely resembles Vertigo, which it goes without saying you should see if you haven't already.'

Also, it is technically an isolated army outpost and not a cabin, but Ravenous is a fantastic movie, someone a while ago made a good thread about it. I hesitate to call it a horror movie, it defies genre and just demands to be seen.

e: Whoops forgot this was the streaming thread and not just the recommend me a movie thread, so these movies may not be streaming, but I spent too much time thinking up the suggestions to edit out the whole post.

Both movies are on Netflix streaming, and I'll second the recommendation for Ravenous. It's bizarre and darkly comic, and it has a fantastic score.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2V-KLn_PgQg

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Does Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt get better? People keep recommending it to me, but the pilot was aggressively unfunny. I'm willing to give it a few more episodes if it improves, but I'd rather start watching something else from my giant backlog of shows if not.

The pilot is definitely the weakest part of the show, because it's trying to rush everything and cram a bunch of setup into one episode. It becomes more formulaic after that, but a lot smoother and funnier. Give it a couple more episodes before you call it quits, I'd say.

Mescal posted:

Yes, for a few episodes. Then the second half is worse than the pilot. I enjoyed it overall myself.

You need to accept the word of Gosh and his son Jeepers. :colbert:

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

axleblaze posted:

Just got an e-mail saying season 4 of Bob's Burgers is up on Netflix. Watch it. It's real good. It's at least as good as season 3 and at some points it's probably better.

Oh hell yeah.

Sarchasm posted:

And you're right that you need to watch them, but you done hosed up because Evil Dead 2 was taken off Netflix just today. Hopefully it'll be back soon.

The first two Evil Deads cycle on and off Netflix pretty often. Just a heads-up for those that haven't seen them, you can totally watch the second without seeing the first, because it's basically a remake.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Artificial Idiocy posted:

It has a lot of the gritty plot lines of Breaking Bad but with a sense of humour the first show lacked.

Hold up

What

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Crank is ok but Dredd is like 10x better

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXzs5nuGNpg

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

morestuff posted:

If for whatever reason you haven't watched 30 Rock, that would probably be your best option.

Definitely, especially because Tina Fey was behind it and Kimmy Schmidt.

Not exactly lighthearted, but still really funny.

I'm going to be That Guy and suggest Arrested Development if you haven't seen. Bob's Burgers is also a good choice.

By the way, Bob's Burgers season 4 is pretty good. Now that I've seen Duel, I have to go back and rewatch the Christmas episode.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

LloydDobler posted:

I just watched Joss Whedon's Much Ado About Nothing and it was pretty good for Shakespeare. Starring Whedon's all stars, actors from Firefly, Buffy, Avengers, Cabin in the Woods, etc etc etc.

I really disliked Whedon's Much Ado. It's a bland movie that doesn't try anything with its source material. It was shot in only a couple weeks, and it definitely shows, because very little thought went into camera placement, editing, framing, etc. It's just kind of a void of a film that has no reason to exist.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

That Works posted:

Hot Fuzz just came up on Netflix.

Hell yeah.

Bad Boys 2 is up as well, but unfortunately not Point Break. You can't quite have the ultimate triple-feature.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

If you've never seen this, or even if you have, watch it. It's for THE GREATER GOOD.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Jack Gladney posted:

The Asylum ripoff of 50 Shades of Grey, Bound, just went up. It's not good at all but stars Cordelia from Buffy. Her boobs are in the first ten seconds of the movie. Daniel Baldwin's boobs are also in the movie.

Wasn't this the movie the Wachowskis did right before the Matrix?

Edit: I guess not. The Wachowskis' Bound is up, too, but I haven't watched it yet.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Viginti posted:

I love a good Paul Initial Anderson joke, its a juxtaposition that never gets tired. I watched Event Horizon for the first time last night and even though I know which Paul Initial Anderson directed it I still think it stands out in his career. The ideas behind the film are so good and simply seeing someone try to execute them with that kind of budget is great, even if the result is a sloppy failure. I don't think i've seen that sort of imagination at play in his efforts for a while, though I also havn't seen his last few. I really hope someone remakes this one day, maybe as a Bloodborne sequel.

Event Horizon was okay, but I couldn't get over the fact that it was pretty much Hellraiser In Space. It didn't do much to distance itself from its influences.

Fun fact: Event Horizon was the favorite movie of Eric Harris, one of the Columbine shooters.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

cat doter posted:

Anyway, just watched The Imposter (2012), and it's got me thinking about the art of a documentary more than I typically do. I've seen a lot of documentaries and this has easily got to be one of the best I've seen. I tend to think of documentaries as more about information than as films but this one has showed me there's a way to craft an engaging narrative around stuff that actually happened without necessarily misrepresenting the story. I highly recommend it.

Have you seen The Act of Killing? I haven't watched the Imposter, but from your description of why you liked it, The Act of Killing would be right up your alley.

In fact, if anyone hasn't seen The Act of Killing yet, you really should. It takes one of the most wild ideas for a movie I've ever heard, and just runs with it. It's bizarre, disgusting, heartbreaking, and more. One of my absolute favorites from the past couple years.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I still think it's Oliver Stone's best movie.

I'm not really well-versed in Stone's filmography, but NBK is the only one I've seen that I actually care for.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

NESguerilla posted:

I'm no Criterion aficionado, but I really liked Eyes Without a Face a while back when I watched it fwiw.

Eyes Without a Face is super good. I highly recommend it, especially if you like Halloween or Face/Off.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Wes Craven's New Nightmare is on Netflix streaming now! :woop:

I also noticed The Exorcist, Leon: The Professional, and Big Trouble in Little China. Good selection of flicks.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Sociopastry posted:

What are some good horror movies on Netflix? I watched the Taking of Deborah Logan and loved it, and I'd love to see more like it. I'd prefer not a lot of gore or jumpscares.

The Babadook, like others said, is a solid modern choice. There are also some stone-cold classics like The Omen and The Exorcist that are available. If you can stand the idea of watching a Polanski film, Rosemary's Baby is phenomenal.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

I like you most of the time Chiche but calling Spielberg paint by numbers is too far!

Yeah, really. If Spielberg is paint-by-numbers, it's because he's the dude that drew all the outlines and the numbers.

And Gladiator ownz bonez.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

magnificent7 posted:

Godammit stop discussing good movies and tell me what to watch on Netflix instead.

The French Connection.
New Nightmare, too. Of the 4 Elm Street movies I've seen, it's my second-favorite. It would make a good meta-horror double-feature with Scream, which is also up

This too.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Saturday Night Fever

I didn't know if this one was good or if it was just remembered for its soundtrack and being a slice of the 70's. I'll have to give it a go if you're recommending it.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Jenny Angel posted:

Could anyone please recommend any really good TV shows where someone plays Sonic the Hedgehog to the sounds of mournful strings? Hoping there's something like this on Netflix.

May not be exactly what you're looking for, but have you watched The Wire yet?

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

K. Waste posted:

That's what I mean though. This was his version of Lee Harvey Oswald defecting to the Soviet Union and then very quickly having all his naive conceptions smashed by the iron fist of "Your dream doesn't matter." This guy is already a lit fuse. Now it's just a matter of who's around him when there's no more fuse.

Speaking of, anyone who hasn't seen Taxi Driver, it's on Netflix, and it's one of the greatest movies ever.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

morestuff posted:

Nightcrawler (2014) (Available June 10)

Aw hell yeah.

quote:

Transformers: Age of Extinction (2014)

AW HELL YEAH! :w00t:

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer is loving great, and also loving disturbing.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Wiggles Von Huggins posted:

It was also refreshing to see an 80's story about a murderer played so straight with no slapstick or winks to the audience.

That might be because it's based on a real murderer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Edminster posted:

AND ALSO MORTAL KOMBAT

STICK THAT IN YOUR PIPE AND SMOKE IT

Hell yeah, I've been meaning to watch this one for awhile.