Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Lycus posted:

The teenagers. Will's brother and Mike's sister.

oops, I didn't answer the question you asked

I can't think of much regarding their accomplishment, the demigorgon seemed to recover from the burning in short order. I think it was more about finishing the character arcs of the three (the boyfriend redeemed himself too).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

I didn't watch Narcos when it premiered but I checked it out this week and I think it's a pretty good series. My one beef with it is that I think the actor who plays the primary protagonist isn't nearly as good an actor as the rest of the cast. I'm looking forward to the second season, and I hope they continue to reference Escobar's zoo because it's pretty hilarious that the hippos escaped after the zoo was abandoned and have established themselves in Columbia. http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-27905743

After that I checked out Narco Cultura and it depressed the gently caress out of me. I remember the panic surrounding gangsta rap in the 90's but everyone knew 99% of that was bullshit and those dudes were just entertainers looking to make a book. On the other hand, with Corridos you know that stuff is real and I bet any poseurs would be handled by the cartels' sicarios on principle. The narco graveyard was really amazing, I think it would be a good setting for an action movie but you'd have to be crazy to film a movie in Sinaloa central.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Finished the NSU: German History X series last night, I can't remember the last time I was so outraged by the end of a movie or series like that. Really, really worth watching.

When the lady terrorist turned herself in near the end for identification and then refused to talk, is it because she knew she'd be protected by the national security guys? I had the feeling that she was offered a deal by the feds because they were trying to put the whole matter to bed.

Filthy Hans fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Aug 18, 2016

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

drunken officeparty posted:

I'm basically bedridden and watching Netflix (or youtube or whatever I guess?) for the next 2 weeks on my phone. So far I've watched

Nightcrawler
Django Unchained
Killing Them Softly
There Will Be Blood
No Country For Old Men

I kinda like how in those the story just kind of..ends. Like hey here's what happened between this time and that time, now the movie is over and life goes on. Any suggestions to keep me sane? Basically any good crime and or violent movies.

Check out The New World, it is both a crime movie and a violent movie. It's excellent, the only caveat is that it's a subbed Korean movie and if you don't like subs you might want to pass.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Rectify season 3 is up on Netflix and it's still arguably the best show on tv, period. The guy who plays Teddy is outstanding this season. Also, good news: season 4 is already greenlit.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

BisterdDave posted:

Just finished watching The Invitation, really great at building up the suspense. One question though is what happened to the woman who left early? Are we to assume she was killed?

Hell yes she was killed, the dickhead cult boyfriend knew what was going down and distracted the protagonist so the cult cell leader could murder her unobserved. They couldn't risk her calling the cops because she was really unnerved by what she saw.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Season 2 of Narcos is up and still rules

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

If you're a fan of so-bad-it's-good movies then your double attraction this month is Snake Eyes and Sphere

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Luther season 4 is a disaster, I have a hard time thinking why anyone thought producing it was a good idea in the first place. Avoid at all costs.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

wa27 posted:

Just finished it; you were right. Season 2 was kind of odd, though.

I was hoping for something different than "new character pretends to be naive and enlists the help of the DMDC (and gets romantically involved with a club member), only to be revealed as a bad-guy detectorist that's working with Simon and Garfunkle." That's the exact plot of season 1.

Also, they totally abandoned the plane wreckage stuff after building up the whole "is there gold?" mystery. I guess since it was Nazi gold, we're just supposed to not care? And then Netflix doesn't make it clear that the last episode was a Christmas special, so you're totally expecting it to finish up the storyline, but then it's 6 months later with no mention of the main S2 plot. Looking back, Episode 6 was a good end to the season, and it did wrap up every storyline except the plane wreckage. It's just that last episode that threw me for a loop.

Anyway, I still love this show. It's a really unique style of comedy and the tone is perfect. It's too bad Season 3 sounds like it's still questionable. Everyone should check out Detectorists.

I had the same reaction to Ep 7, adding a supernatural element in a show that doesn't need it is usually pretty dire, but the episode was funny and thoughtful enough otherwise so I'll give it a pass.

As for the plane, it was clear that there wasn't any gold on the plane and the German, the mayor, and the Dirt Sharks were all just greedy nighthawk scum; they were so myopic about the myth that they never realized the crash site's real value was cultural, not commercial. Also, the wanted poster with a photo of the real Simon & Garfunkel was comedy gold.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

The only good thing about Nip/Tuck was that the son was the most pathetic character in any TV show ever and every time he hit a new rock bottom you knew he was going to keep digging until he reached China

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

I really liked the first two seasons of Hannibal on Prime, but I'm halfway through the third season and it's godawful

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

nate fisher posted:

It gets better towards the end, but season 3 was such a misstep for the show after 2 really good seasons. Although Hannibal has always been about style, that last season was pure style over substance. Still would of loved a season 4.

The only idea worse than recapping the awful Hannibal movie over half a tv season was adding elements from the even worse Hannibal Rising

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Remulak posted:

Shane Black alert - which service is this on?

Amazon Prime, and they had a $0.99 rental special last weekend for it

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

GorgonSmithe posted:

A Serious Man is the best, correct.

It's amazing to me that the Coens could make a film even bleaker than No Country For Old Men, but they did and it's a masterpiece

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Prime has Rollerball this month, I don't know what kind of human being you are if you're not psyched about that. Avoid the 2002 remake like the plague, however.

Jonathan! Jonathan!

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

I'm up to the fourth episode of The Fall season 3 and it's straight up awful. It doesn't get much worse than a boring thriller, and this one's enriched Ambien.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Human Tornada posted:

Can anybody recommend some recent-ish inspirational movies that leave the viewer feeling good, for example The Martian and Creed. Streaming or not is ok. This week sucks.

Wet Hot American Summer isn't inspirational, but I can't imagine anyone not feeling good after watching it. Avoid the sequel, though, that's depressingly bad.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

CaptCommy posted:

The TV series? I'd argue it's tighter and funnier than the movie is by a good margin.

I know some people like it, it just really didn't agree with me. "Avoid at all costs" is pushing my opinion a bit far, I guess.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

yo mamma a Horus posted:

The Bond movie where he gets surgery to become Asian is immensely stupid and only believe it is real because I have seen it.

This is a bad opinion. The assault on the hollow volcano is one of the best set pieces in the entire franchise. Also You Only Live Twice has one of the 3 best theme songs, along with Goldfinger and A View To A Kill.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

veni veni veni posted:

Is there a streaming service that doesn't have a horrible interface?

I think they take it for granted that people will use their services regardless of how lovely their interfaces are. I think Amazon is worse than Netflix on PS4.

The video quality differences are pretty noticeable on PS4 however, at least for me. The Netflix picture is degraded far more often than Amazon, and it doesn't cache nearly as much as Amazon does either. I'm on FiOS and get a bit over 25 MB/s consistently on my notebook, I assume the PS4 is similar so the lower bandwidth isn't on my end. I assume Netflix has to compress their output more because they have more users and a larger library, but the end result is Netflix often looks like crap.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

veni veni veni posted:

Speaking of HBO now, I just watched I am Legend for the first time since it came out and it's better than I remember even if it's pretty cliche. Man, does the CGI drag that movie down though. It's one of those movies that uses cgi even when it doesn't need to and it's really distracting.

I much prefer the practical effects from Omega Man, cheesy though they may be. I also like everything else about the movie more than I Am Legend, but I will say that Will Smith did a better job than his own average.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I remember back when it came out there was an argument here that sharply divided the community over whether the mannequin in the middle of the street actually moved when Smith drove by.

Not since the great "Do Star Trek transporters actually transport you, or just kill you and rebuild a copy of you on the other end" argument have people so vociferously argued their point.

Apparently you missed the "Androids or Aliens in the end?" argument from A.I.:Artificial Intelligence

Got yelled at by the only goon I know IRL because he was so committed to his position that they were Aliens

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

On that note, are there any other movies like WAB, or with Dreyfus or Murray in their prime, that hold up like it does?

possibly Scrooged, but I haven't seen it in quite some time

as for Dreyfus, Jaws is obviously a timeless classic but in a very different vein

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Finally watched Green Room, it's a gem. I'm really going to miss Anton Yelchin.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

pahuyuth posted:

Gonna miss seeing what Anton Yelchin would have become. I really took notice of him in Alpha Dog along with Emile Hirsch, Ben Foster, and loving Justin Timberlake. Goddamn I love that movie.

There were a lot of good performances in that movie. Justin Timberlake actually did a really good job playing a chickenshit lowlife douche. The weak link was definitely Sharon Stone though, especially when she donned a fat-suit. Yelchin was effortlessly likeable in his role.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Ben Foster was really good in 40 Days of Night, too

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

I had never heard of Too Late before but I saw it on Netflix new releases and it's a crime noir starring John Hawkes so I had to watch it. It's pretty drat good, a 1 1/2 hour movie shot in 5 long-take single scenes (not all are true long-takes but they're made to look that way). There's some very interesting camera work and some of the dialogue is great and the rest sucks. It's quite Tarantino-esque, with long takes, irreverent conversation, a non-sequential storyline, and a well-done gritty feel. The first segment is by far the weakest because it's poorly scripted and the actors aren't as good as everyone else in the movie, and if you can make it through that the rest of the movie is much better.

Watch Too Late if you like John Hawkes, excellent camera work, Jeff Fahey, lady butts, Robert Forster, and crime noir in general

Don't watch Too Late if you detest movies that ape Tarantino's work too much or don't have the patience for a series of 15-20 minute long takes

Filthy Hans fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Dec 24, 2016

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Tainen posted:

If you are into single takes check out Victoria. It's a 2 hour movie shot in a single take with an amazing scope. Story issues aside I thought it was amazing.

thanks

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

I gave the Sens8 Christmas Spectacular a whirl. It's a sanctimonious as ever, especially early on with one of the most obvious straw man bigots I've ever seen in film (the homophobic student). The hacktivist and the cop are still the weak links in the cast. The good aspects of the show are still there too: fantastic filming in many vibrant settings, clever explorations of the show's central conceit, and some wit out of parts of the dialog. There are also some well-done brawls with all eight of the sensates throwing down.

In short, if you already like the series I don't think you'll be disappointed, but if you didn't like it before you'll want to avoid it at all costs.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

coyo7e posted:

Dog Eat Dog just dropped onto Netflix, it's a hilariously weird dark crime comedy with Nicolas Cage being himself, and Willem Dafoe being Nicolas Cage.

I just checked it out, it's unusual to say the least. It's ok, but I really prefer The Trust, starring Nic Cage and Elijah Wood. It's in the same vein but more low-key and more deadpan humor. It's also on Netflix.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

A MIRACLE posted:

what should i watch on streaming?

Menace 2 Society just popped up on Netflix
Nightcrawler on Netflix
Green Room on Amazon
Mr. Robot on Amazon
Orphan Black on amazon
Sicario on Amazon

I'd be shocked if you haven't already seen some of these already, but who knows

or you could just watch Jaws for the millionth time on Netflix

edit:
The Americans on Amazon

Filthy Hans fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jan 4, 2017

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

I should have heeded he warnings - the ending to The OA is an absolute travesty. I never ever watched Glee but The OA's ending made me think "I must be watching the infamous Glee school shooting musical."

Filthy Hans fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Jan 7, 2017

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Rampage: President Down is a real bummer. It doesn't have any of the gleeful nihilistic charm of the first one, it's more of a dreary, uninspired sequel like #2 was. The main guy is too good an actor to waste on this franchise and everyone else in the cast acted so poorly they looked out of place in a loving Uwe Boll film.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

coyo7e posted:

To conitnue on my point - the first Rampage film struck me in a weird way, because it was just in that perfect "lagrange point" of it's cheap but not too cheap, it's got bad acting but not terribly bad, the subject matter is dark and flips on itself enough that I'm not sure how I feel about it. The second one was not. In fact I like to think that I've only seen the first movie because the only thing I remember about the second is that it had (I think) Domonic Purcell in a suit, shooting lots of banker or stock people for reasons, and managing to both be boring and kind of offensive while killing people I otherwise would want to cheer being killed in fiction.

The Dominic Purcell movie was Assault on Wall St. Rampage 2 had the same lead (Brendan Fletcher) as the first one, but in the second he shaves his head, grows a thick beard, holds a TV station hostage and has daddy issue phone calls with his parents before murdering everyone.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Franchescanado posted:

I disagree, Bill Cosby puts a lot of people to sleep.

goddamn, dude

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Pycckuu posted:

Watching The Pacific on amazon prime I realized that Jon Bernthal is America's Sean Bean. Guy's characters can't catch a break man.

He made out alright in The Wolf of Wall Street, after he did his time like a man DiCaprio threw him that welcome home party in which two hot chicks blew him on a yacht with 200 of his friends watching and cheering them on

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Blind Rasputin posted:

I just watched it but I was unclear as to whether a large body of water would stop the it follows following thing? Like, if it just continues to walk towards the host like they say, then why not get on a plane and leave. As well, it doesn't seem to be very good at opening doors so why not just like armor up a house and have someone slot you the food and supplies (itc tampons I guess?) you need.

Just didn't seem that threatening of a demon thing is all.

No, water wouldn't stop it.

The demon didn't jump in the water because it was smart enough to grasp the nature of the swimming pool trap immediately. By chucking all the electric devices at the protagonist it was both disarming the trap and harming her. Once knocked in the pool, it was not only fine but also a better swimmer than the protagonist. They were able to harm it with bullets but couldn't kill it because the demon is immortal. As for doors, it proved it's strong enough to basically batter through anything, given enough time and a lack of better options.

The basic conceit of the film is that the demon is slow but it never stops coming for you, so whether you whore yourself out, fly around the world like a playboy, ride the rails like a hobo, take a job on a deep-sea oil rig, or even stow away on a rocket bound for the ISS, it's only a matter of time before the demon catches up with you. You stay on the move until you die. You could keep it up for decades but you'll always be harried and never have a home.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

It's just bizarre. Leo's much more acclaimed yet he's never been as convincing as Liotta in Goodfellas. In Gangs he's just such a little gently caress.

He was miscast in Gangs, that's for sure. I think DiCaprio's best performances were in What's Eating Gilbert Grape, Catch Me if You Can, The Revenant and Django Unchained. Here's the best scene he was ever in, when he hosed up his hand, kept in character, funneled his pain into anger, and improvised magnificently:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ifh6xJQyufc

Filthy Hans fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Jan 23, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Any Die Hard On A _____ movies but starring a cool lady? Everly with Selma Hayek was gross.

You're Next is a sort-of Die Hard in a cabin movie with a heroine

according to this list of 50 Die Hard-esque movies, Safe Room with Jodie Foster counts:

http://www.gamesradar.com/50-action-movies-inspired-by-die-hard/