Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Hulu's interface is the absolute worst and that's saying something.

One thing about Filmstruck is that on top of the content itself being good, there was a sense that it wasn't just a trough of slop to gorge on, that this stuff is *valued*.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Amazon is bad but you can find some pretty obscure poo poo if you dig into “Customers Also Watched” and gently caress with their algorithm enough. Hulu just throws everything into bins and doesn’t care if you’re looking for movies or TV shows or anime.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
This happens to me all the time. I have lots of titles on my Watchlist that are "this video is currently unavailable", but poking around in other areas reveals them to be free with Prime.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Franchescanado posted:

There's no indication, either, other than context clues.

I noticed it when there was clearly supposed to be nudity, the scene abruptly cut away , and the run-time was less than 60 minutes.

They also have a ton of softcore that apparently does the same thing and edits out all nudity, which makes no sense.

If something begins with the Sprocket logo, exit out. That's the only reliable sign I can find so far.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Frog Act posted:

I've always considered myself a big fan of science fiction and my dad made me watch stuff like The Day the Earth Stood Still from a young age. But somehow I totally missed Soylent Green, and then absorbed its premise so broadly from pop culture, I somehow got the impression it wasn't really actually worth watching

Anyway that was a really stupid sentiment, I'm honestly really impressed by the visual direction and overwhelming sense of privation and hopelessness. I guess I'd question some of the Malthusian overtones and stuff as a philosophical assertion but cinematically I don't understand it's reputation for cheesiness, it's great and every scene just oozes 70s

The book, "Make Room, Make Room!" by Harry Harrison, is pretty interesting. There's no conspiracy, the twist isn't there, it's just about how overpopulation is making society fall apart.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Would it be possible to like, do a "clean" shot for possible CG, and then do one with a squib, and if anything goes wrong with the squib you've got a clean take?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Mammal Sauce posted:

I'm not familiar with this movie, but just be aware that most of Amazon's "-ploitation" movies are heavily edited and sometimes make even less sense than the original cut.

If the Sprocket Flicks logo turns up (and there’s a specific font/layout they use for thumbnails) then pass quickly. (Though it’s also an indicator that most of those films are less than an hour long.)

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Super Infra Man is on Amazon Prime. It’s the Shaw Brothers take on Japanese tokusatsu, not much as a story but full of fun and colorful visuals. They had a lovely cropped version of this up before but now it’s widescreen and in pretty good quality.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Junkie Disease posted:

Its very much what the new seasons of MST3k are getting mojo from

Yeah I read the Bonehead minions are very specifically based on Princess Dragon Mom's henchmen.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
I'd say one difference in outlooks is Black Mirror feels a lot more pessimistic- like the Twilight Zone was trying to argue for change and Black Mirror is more of the "Well we're probably doomed, not much we can do about it" school.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Ultimately I think the problem with Bandersnatch is I’d be more interested in the real travails of British microcomputer game devs than some “ooh, who’s really in control maaaaan” weirdness (which basically comes off as Videodrome without the meat.)

That said there is one story branch that’s pretty entertaining. I feel Black Mirror as a whole would be better served as absurdism than Very Serious Drama.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

enigmahfc posted:

So with Netflix raising their prices again, and my sudden realization that I hate 98% of the Netflix Original poo poo they put out (which is about the only thing they do anymore), I am eyeing Hulu. So quick question: how are the commercials in the base sub? Commercials don't bother me the way they seem to do with some people but movies aren't interrupted for them or anything, right?

Movies aren't interrupted, but the ads can be distracting in older shows, because rather than using the natural act breaks they'll just slot ads in at some other interval that doesn't fit the action at all. That's why I upgraded to ad-free, it was ruining The Outer Limits for me.