Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Namirsolo
Jan 20, 2009

Like that, babe?

thrawn527 posted:

I watched Detention. I know I'm not the first person to say this, everyone has said it, but I can't not say it. What the gently caress was that movie?! One of the reviews on Netflix said it was like a shark, in that a shark needs to keep swimming or else it will die. Detention can't stay still at any point, each scene seems to last for no longer than 2 minutes. It's a clusterfuck. I lost count of the times I thought, "Oh, okay, this scene is about...gently caress, it shifted again." I think I like it, but mainly because I appreciate how balls out crazy it went. I was also worried this thread had built up the insanity too much. It did not even scratch the surface.

I'm trying very hard to not say anything about what the movie is actually about. Partially because it's hard to sum up, but also because I think going in blind helps. It's impressive it was even made in the first place.

This is only the second feature film this director made. I never saw Crank, because it looked like a by-the-numbers action flick. But now? I think I have to watch it. I know it won't be as crazy as Detention (I mean, how could it be?) but is it insane as well?

I saw it as a bunch of parodies of action and horror movies crammed together. I liked it. I think it's definitely divisive. People will either love it or hate it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namirsolo
Jan 20, 2009

Like that, babe?

Dango Bango posted:

I just got an email from Netflix letting me know a new Ralphie May special has been added.

I want to know what Netflix recommendation algorithm I screwed up on to allow this to happen. :negative:

Basically, if you watch any stand up special it thinks you will like them all. I watched John Hodgman:Ragnorak and then got recommended to watch the Ralphie May special. I'm not sure that they could be any more different.

Anyway, if you like John Hodgman, you should watch that, because it's awesome.

Namirsolo
Jan 20, 2009

Like that, babe?

Sarchasm posted:

Here's a weird one: What's good on Netflix that doesn't actually have to be watched? I just had a minor eye procedure and I'd like to be able to set the iPad beside my bed and listen to something with my eyes closed. I've already burned through my backlog of podcasts and an audiobook, I'm not picky at the moment.

John Hodgman: Ragnarok is great if you like his dry style of humor. I don't think there's any visual gags in it unless you count his general appearance.

Namirsolo
Jan 20, 2009

Like that, babe?
Life Itself, the Roger Ebert documentary, is on Netflix now. It's great and has some hilarious clips of him and Siskel. It's a celebration of his life, but parts of it are pretty painful and made me cry. I really miss that man.

Namirsolo
Jan 20, 2009

Like that, babe?

A MIRACLE posted:

Whoa didn't mean to say I hated Babadook. It was just too scary and I had to turn it off. Maybe I'm just a giant pussy. I'll try to finish it today

I don't think it makes you a pussy to be scared by it. I am a hardened horror fan and it really freaked me out.

Namirsolo
Jan 20, 2009

Like that, babe?
Since the redesign of the Netflix website, has anyone figured out a way to see what is expiring soon? As far as I can tell, the browser doesn't show this anywhere anymore.

Namirsolo
Jan 20, 2009

Like that, babe?

NESguerilla posted:

Was the redesign only in certain areas because it looks exactly the same for me still?

I think I saw something about them slowly rolling it out, so yeah it's entirely possible. The link that let you look at your whole streaming list at once is gone now.

Edit: Nevermind, you now have to access it from the main menu.

Namirsolo
Jan 20, 2009

Like that, babe?

Chichevache posted:

New Broadchurch?:stare: I don't know how you do a second season of that.

It's a completely new case, apparently, but the same two detectives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namirsolo
Jan 20, 2009

Like that, babe?

Ammanas posted:

They ought to be. It's a chore to find something decent I haven't seen. Are you in the mood for garbage poo poo movies no ones heard of or have a 2% rating on RT? Then Netflix streaming is for you!

I feel the same way about their movie selection, but at least they have a pretty big selection of tv shows that I still want to watch like Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Comedy Bang Bang! and assorted British shows like Call the Midwife and Broadchurch. I don't know what I'll do once I've seen all of those though.