Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

I always thought the the transformers were just plain hard to make out during any action scene. Their bodies (or whatever) look so busy and intricate that my brain can only see a mostly formless mass.

edit
I've only seen the 1st one and part of the 2nd though.

Hackers film 1995 fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Jun 20, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

Extraterrestrial was a big ol' pile of cliches but I was entertained. The last 15-20 minutes of it though were a mostly pleasant surprise.

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

A MIRACLE posted:

Just don't watch Critters, I saw that when I was like 8 and couldn't sleep for two weeks. Yes I know it's supposed to be a comedy

Jurassic Park tho, come on don't deprive kids of that experience

Whoa. I saw Critters when I was about 5, and I wouldn't go outside for 2 weeks. My family still brings this up to bust my chops. I'm glad to see someone else had a similar experience.

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

People are complicated obviously, but I grew up watching these antiwar movies with my dad and even as a child I could tell that they were antiwar films. To this day I'm still not 100% sure why he watched them. He turned 18 in 1971 and it is shocking how little he wants to talk about how he felt about the Vietnam War. Mostly he tells me he is lucky he didn't have to go, but he still loves reading books about war (some which glorify it a bit) and he still likes war movies.

My brother in law on the other hand is special forces and he loves talking about going to war and he really loves it. We don't exactly get along, but he is a nice guy so long as we don't discuss politics and military poo poo.

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Hey, general announcement for people who like horror, A Nightmare on Elm Street is up on Netflix. If you've never seen it, buckle the hell up.

Is it even possible to claim you like horror but also say you haven't seen this film?

Johnny Depp's best film imo.

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

Decided to watch both Richard Stanley movies back to back.

Hardware was delightfully strange but totally watchable. Ultimately I would say it wasn't a good movie, but it had a bitchin' soundtrack.

I only made it about 20 minutes into Dust Devil before I shut it off because I was so bored.

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

precision posted:

Dust Devil is actually very, very good. It stars the incredibly underrated Robert John Burke (Robocop 2, many Hal Hartley movies)

I know I only made it through 1/3 of this movie (and I can usually watch anything) but drat I am not sure how you hold this opinion. I liked Hardware enough though.

Please don't tell me I should actually finish Dust Devil. Is it only because you like this actor or does the movie do a 180 and become an interesting film?

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

precision posted:

Six String Samurai.

Well no matter what at least I have heard about this film now and will try to watch this somehow.

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

nevermind

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

Is Halloween III streaming on anything? It is one of the few always discussed horror movies that I have never seen.

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Lord of War just got added to Netflix. If you want to see a great, underrated little movie featuring Nicholas Cage as an international arms dealer, check it out. Just a bitingly cynical protest movie of the kind you don't see very often anymore. Passionate to the point of occasional clumsiness, but at least it's passionate.

This was great. Watch it to see that Nic Cage can still act if he wants to.

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

I think that people forget he was an insane wild man when he first started. Basically he is now known for his acting in hundreds of lovely films that he did just for the money. It's kind of a bummer that he is a punchline now when he can still do some interesting acting.

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

Franchescanado posted:

Well, Anthony Hopkins also regrets being in The Elephant Man, so the dude's weird about what roles he takes in my opinion.

wtf? I couldn't find this interview. Did he say why?

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

I no longer trust my mother because she took me to see Turner and Hooch when I was 5. I cried for like 3 days.

Now she CLAIMS she didn't know that the dog dies. I wish I could trust her, but she is an evil liar.

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

I am definitely in the minority, but really netflix and hulu have always seemed so cheap to me and they blow even the basic cable package out of the water. I would not mind paying a little more per month to never see an ad again.

White God is so good and I have never seen animals "act" so well in any film ever. It is really hard to watch however if you are like me and love dogs. Also it made me feel like such a child because I would nearly cry when an animal was abused or killed, but I felt like cheering when humans were killed.

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

Lincoln`s Wax posted:

I still think netflix is a good deal at the current price because they still carry a ton of poo poo I want to watch but I can't really recall any of their original content/exclusives that have appealed to me.

I liked:

Marvel's Daredevil
BoJack Horseman
Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt
Wet Hot American Summer: First Day of Camp
Arrested Development
Trailer Park Boys
A bunch of standup specials
The Battered Bastards of Baseball
Creep
Tig
Peaky Blinders (exclusive in US)
etc

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

8one6 posted:

Just in case anyone sees Oren Peli's Area 51 while browsing Netflix don't bother. It's bad in the dullest, most boring way.

Thank you. I was on the fence on whether to put that in my queue because I'm a dumb loving idiot but now I can avoid it.

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

Good god I looked up the trailer (lol) for Foodfight and it is incredible that this was made in 2012. The animation looks at least 20 years old.

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

Evil Mastermind posted:

One of the reasons the animation is so terrible is because near the end of the project the hard drives containing all the completed work were apparently stolen. If you can find one of the trailers with the original animation, it actually looks pretty decent, like an actual animated movie. The version we have now is the "OH poo poo WE HAVE TO REDO THIS FROM SCRATCH IN LIKE THREE MONTHS" version.

What's really batshit insane is that director Lawrence Kasanoff thought that this was going to be such a breakout hit that he was going to be able to license Dex Dogtective, Chocolate Dan, and all the rest of those hideous characters as "freelance" corporate mascots. Need a cartoon character for your generic cereal? Hire Sunshine Goodness to appear on the box!

The movie really is a "you have to see it to really understand how bad it is" situation. Words do not do it justice.

I think this is the original trailer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81uIhu8qrrs

I mean, it looks a little better but still unfinished. I am fascinated by the story of this "film" but on y'alls recommendations I will spend my free time with just about any other movie.

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

I have a (probably incorrect and/or oversimplified) Netflix theory. Traditionally, older people (boomers, whatever) watch crummy tv shows and episodic content more than films. As Netflix got more popular and more people started watching the episodic content available instead of the loads of films, some nerds at Netflix realized that they would make more money trying to be a watered down HBO and buying the rights to less movies. I'm the kind of viewer who watches as many movies as I do traditional tv type programs so I feel I am going to suffer. I don't mind Netflix making more content like they have, but I hope they continue to offer a decent selection of movies too.

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

Cocoa Ninja posted:

If the most important thing to you is catalogue selection then you should really consider DVD / Blu-ray rental. It jacks the price way up but there's a reason a few million people still subscribe — it's the best video store ever. If you're watching a movie every night / every other day it's still an amazing value compared to cable.

Second, you're correct — something like 80% of all streaming activity is television, not movies. While they may have algorithm nerds working for them, it's a complete business decision to become a content provider, not some lark. Being a middleman means you're always fighting for an increasingly expensive slice of pie, and their costs have gone up much faster than even their fast-growing subscriber base. Add into that the clusterfuck of international rights (look at how much we chat about VPNs to get Netflix Norway or whatever) and you can understand the simple economics of making your own perpetually exclusive content.

Having your name be synonymous with streaming movies is great, but is an advantage that won't last the way that having HBO's catalogue would.

I rarely get bored with the content on Netflix, but recently I find myself running out of films to watch. I know its just business, but if it gets much worse I may have to drop Netflix someday. Personally I don't feel like paying more for the dvd/bluray thing as I am more of a random binge watcher of films. I'll just wait and see what happens. I can't really trash talk Netflix yet because it is about 90% of what I use my television for.

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

Basebf555 posted:

poo poo still pops up from time to time that really shouldn't exist as a network show, like Hannibal. I know that wasn't everyone's thing but it was obviously on a different level than most other network drama.

I didn't know there were people out actively hating Hannibal. It was mostly amazing.

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

I wasn't a super fan of Hannibal or whatever, and to be honest I barely remember the first season, but the last couple of seasons were loving magic.

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

If you wanna watch a documentary that seems to contain actual SA Goons (not really...I think) then watch The Nightmare. Its about sleep paralysis. I enjoyed it at first, but as it went on I became annoyed by the interviewees and their mental illnesses.

Hackers film 1995 fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Oct 7, 2015

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

coyo7e posted:

Holy poo poo, finally got around to watching Police Story: Lockdown because I love jackie chan movies and remember police story being a good one.

What a horrific abortion of a movie. Jackie Chan is drunk in a taxi, then he goes toa club to meet his daughter but SURPRISE he hasn't seen her in ages and she's got tattoos and pink hair and there's guys with fauxhawks and leather jackets hanging around. Then everybody gets replaced with boring regular citizens and everybody's taken hostage. But it's okay because his daughteronly had a FAKE spider tattoo on her neck and her hair was a wig! Then Jackie Chan basically goes through Clue while the bad guy teases him and they have flashbacks of his greatest arrests just in case one of them is the guy who's taken him hostage. He goes all Die hard eventually, riot cops come in because the hostage taker really isn't making sense with his demands, and eventually there will probably be a fight scene.

Oh yeah there's also some TV reporter chick who's there for absolutely no reason, and keeps trying to introduce herself and interview people. And the riot cops just kind of vanish after an epic firefight, like there's just no more cops anywhere after those 3 or 4 dudes vanished into thin air.

This all actually sounds great, but even if it is a bad movie I will probably watch it anyway because I loved the first one so much. I'm guessing that attitude is what they were banking on when the made this film.

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

coyo7e posted:

It's really something. The writing is just all over the place. It's Die Hard meets Clue, with more holes in the plot than I could even believe. Like, why is it that the only hostages who get wounded are the ones who get released, but they are also the only ones who weren't part of the evil plot from the beginning so how the hell did they wander in, in the first place?

The bad guy and his henchmens' origin story is also some kind of Game of Thrones level weirdness involving dead parents, orphaned kids, and underground fighting pits run by fat old white men in hawaiian shirts.

Goddamn quit describing it. It sounds better and better.

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

coyo7e posted:

Let Us Prey went from an okay supernatural slasher/thriller to :psyduck: :laugh: in the last 20 minutes. Totally worth it for the "which of you called me old!?" scene alone.

Also the creepy guy is played by the actor who's Davos in Game of Thrones. :3:

Watched this last night, and I just kept thinking that this is shot like a film school project. But yeah when the barb wire man shows up it becomes pretty funny and also the hilarious table flip scene. "Just gonna burst into this room here do a robotic 90 degree turn and flip a table in anger."

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

Darthemed posted:

more like beesy

Noice.

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

This discussion got me listening to the Candyman soundtrack, which I was not aware was composed by Philip Glass of all people.

Yeah it is easily my favorite horror soundtrack.

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

I have seen The Devil's Advocate before and I'm sure we've discussed it already but I unironically enjoy it. Everyone is hamming it up especially Pacino (does he even have a different acting style?), and I dare say that even though he is doing an accent and he is still Keanu, I think it is Keanu Reeves' best acting. Also I never noticed the insanely bad green screen work in the party scene where Keanu goes outside to talk to the redhead woman. Goddamn it is jarring and odd.

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

fishtobaskets posted:

Pacino was in a little known arthouse flick called The Godfather where his acting was a little more restrained.

Ha ha yes I know I was being flippant. I prefer my Pacino to be like Carlito or the coach in Any Given Sunday though.

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

lol if you don't already have An Erotic Tale of Ms. Dracula on bluray.

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

Chichevache posted:

:siren:It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia Season 10 is up!:siren:

X-Ray Pecs posted:

gently caress yes.

gently caress YES.

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

I'm just glad I finally got to see the bucket of blood episode that I had missed before. So funny.

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

knows a black guy posted:

Agreed. I've kinda cooled off on Always Sunny over the years, but I watched that ep last night to see what all the fuss was about, and it was solid. Is the rest of the season pretty good?

I thought a couple were a bit weak (one being the Psycho Pete episode) but overall I thought it was great. I am also a big fan though so take it how you will.

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

Basebf555 posted:

Things were pretty absurd right from the get-go.

Maybe things like this are absurd in your life but... :smug:

I think it is more about how they don't have 25 episodes a season so ideas don't run out and get stale. I think they have only had like 120 something episodes in 11 seasons.

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

Do you two have some kind of rivalry going on or what? What's the score?

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

precision posted:

Edge of Tomorrow actually was really, really drat good.

Is this on Netflix? I've been meaning to catch this for a couple years now and never got around to it.

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

morestuff posted:

It was on HBO GO last I looked.

My :siren:GF:siren: has this so I'll make her watch it with me.

Edit
ah hell

Hackers film 1995 fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Jan 21, 2016

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

The Fifth Element is one of my favorite movies, but really one of the strangest things about it is that the hero and the villain are never in the same room together at any moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

deoju posted:

I've been watching the first season of Hannibal on Prime. While I don't actually like it, per se, I am hooked for two reasons; the total absurdity of the murderers, and Mads Mikkelsen's incredible wardrobe.

This show is so pretty that all of its flaws don't even matter after the first season.