Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Wilhelm Scream posted:

Anyone with Hulu Plus, there's some good stuff Horror-wise on there: The Devil's Rejects, Night of the Living Dead '90, all 3 Ginger Snaps and Scanners movies, From Beyond, Cannibal Holocaust, Blair Witch 2, Candyman, The House on Sorority Row, House by the Cemetery,. The Beyond, Frankenhooker, Inferno, The Prowler, Let Sleeping Corpses Lie, Pieces, Intruder, Prince of Darkness, Slither, The Funhouse and a few more good ones.

And if I can go for the classic horror route through the Criterion collection (which if you like classic movies at all is by far the best reason to have Hulu Plus), there's House (the Japanese one), Carnival of Souls, Kwaidan, Eyes Without a Face, and Kuroneko.

Really, of the three major services Hulu Plus winds up with the best foreign film selection. I'm in the middle of watching every single Akira Kurosawa movie. I need to watch Stray Dog this week...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Wilhelm Scream posted:

Fiend Without a Face

Of the four horror films from that studio (they were part of a box set when released to DVD but Hulu Plus has all of them), I liked The Living Skeleton the best. It was very Tales From the Crypt. Fiend Without a Face was pretty weird but okay until the ending when it went completely insane.

This is why you need Hulu Plus, so you can participate in discussions of obscure Japanese horror films from the sixties.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Sir Nose posted:

Fiend Without A Face is a British made film about invisible brain/spinal cord monsters. The four films in the Shochiku set are Living Skeleton, Goke, X From Outer Space, and Genocide.

You're right. I somehow was thinking Goke was Field Without a Face.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Paper Kaiju posted:

Amazon Prime also has Varan the Unbelievable, another very early Toho kaiju film. But it's boring and lame and doesn't really need to be watched for any reason.

Speaking of giant monsters on Amazon Prime, I was severely disappointed when Amazon Prime had the Daimajin movies but the encoding is unwatchably disastrous. They have a widescreen framed picture encoded at 4:3 so the whole thing is shadowboxed on all sides.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Robocop 2 isn't as much of a classic as the first one, but it's still a hell of a lot more entertaining than the new one is. It has the same kind of dark humor/satire as the first one (except cranked up to an even higher level) and some pretty memorable villains.

But whatever you do, don't watch Robocop 3. It's a soulless slog that's a waste of your time.

Robocop 2 is memorable in that absurd, completely over the top action movie of the 80's kind of way (okay, it's from 1990, but it's still from that block of insane action films of the time). It's not a good movie, but it's very entertaining.

In fact, I'm halfway through rewatching it as I post this. It's hilarious that Detroit is in trouble because they owe OCP $37 million. I'm sure Detroit dreams of just owing someone $37 million...

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

After I wrapped up watching robot toys fight RoboCop 2, I thought I'd go ahead and give the new movie a chance. I'm sure these thoughts have been repeated ad nauseam since it came out but I had to share because I was sitting there with it bugging me: RoboCop is a mess. I can almost see the gears of the development process as I watch it since it feels like some intern dropped four different script drafts while running down a hallway and no one ever bothered to sort them out again. It's a film that seems to think it has a lot to say, but it can't make up it's mind and keeps tripping over the words. It has a pile of themes, but can't stick with any of them long enough to develop them. And then there's the third act that stinks of being written a month into shooting. Everyone working on the movie seemed to be at least competent, though nothing really wowed me; the only thing I can think to blame is a lack of a coherent vision for the project.

Also, they had one of the best and most recognizable movie scores ever at their disposal. Maybe they could have used more than five seconds of it when they displayed the title. But that's kind of a petty gripe compared to everything else.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Small tip, if you decide to watch The Spirit (currently on Hulu) thinking, "Well, how bad can it be?" it opens with Frank Miller going into full Frank Miller mode and then going on to take a long piss all over Will Eisner's corpse.

The constant tone shifts, sometimes from shot to shot, is giving me whiplash...

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I'm going to go out on a huge limb and say that The 36th Chamber of Shaolin is totally awesome, even with the absurd 70's kung fu flick dubbing which is the only way I could stream it. Now I'm disappointed I put off watching it for so long.

I'm putting on Return to the 36th Chamber next, though I don't have much faith that it will be a brilliant sequel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

36th Chamber of Shaolin owns. Where is it streaming?

Hulu Plus has it, and a ton of other martial arts films. I never knew how many until I was poking around this evening, saw 36th Chamber and went, "I really should watch that."