Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

A MIRACLE posted:

There's an Indonesian movie on Netflix called Headshot, it's brutal as gently caress. if you like action just watch it
Thanks for the rec, I actually had more fun with this than Raid 2. That may be blasphemous, it's not as packed or grand or operatic but it also doesn't have cheesy gimmicky lame poo poo like all of the hammer girl/bat boy stuff

Also caught Christine & Hard to be a God, all good for a variety of different reasons

veni veni veni posted:

I hate to say it, because I was really looking forward to it but The Girl With All the Gifts is incredibly mediocre. I had a hard time actually finishing it.
So was the book imho, so that's no surprise to me. Started out really promising and intriguing with the creepy school stuff and then it's just like "oh hey I'm just copying that ant fungus creepy pasta that like 8 media properties already cashed in on". Also thought the ending was stupid af

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I'm ten minutes in and hoping this gets funnier than "we're two old washed up white guys from New York!!!"

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Repeat viewings of the Office allow people to realize that Jim is the ultimate "nothing is worthy, everything is beneath me" type of rear end in a top hat, and Jim and Pam were actively trying to become the most boring, milquetoast, 50's throwback nuclear-family possible.

Dwight was just a nerd with some weird ideas, Jim was actively a piece of poo poo.
Tim and Dawn > Jim and Pam
Gareth > Dwight

Harsh but fair truths

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
what's a good comedy or weird movie to get high to on Netflix rn. and I don't mean some niche white people comedy like that broadway show where I have to get really lame references to laugh. anyone about to suggest the American Office plz sit down. maybe something from the 80s I missed (which would mean all of the 80s, I have seen Big Trouble in Little China and the Escape From movies).
I was leaning towards rewatching Gremlins (60% sure I saw that as a kid...or was that an MST3K knockoff...), there's no Encino Man (never saw that)...I did find The Assassin which I keep meaning to watch but that might be 2 heavy

kinda wish they had The Void already

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

mysterious frankie posted:

Everything about it is good, except seeing Alison Brie naked so much. She's like the universal little sister, and I never want to see my little sister bang one of the jerkoffs from Mad Men. Again, I mean.
Whatsa matta you? Eh?!

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

mysterious frankie posted:

I was mainly making a joke about how weird it is to see Brie naked, so I don't need a definitive tit count or anything.
Mods change this guy's username to definitive tit count

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

WHY BONER NOW posted:

This seems like a good time to mention that Netflix snuck on season 5 of Wentworth recently. I had no idea until I stumbled upon it.

It is the type of show you watch while chuckling, shaking your head, and saying "why the gently caress am I watching this"

I don't recall any pee pee or doo doo, though
How is that? Good for TV or just good for Australian TV?

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Jose Oquendo posted:

http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/873233-netflix-august-2017-movie-and-tv-titles-announced

Giving it a quick glance:

Addams Family
Matrix trilogy
Jackie Brown
Inner Space

Wet Hot American Summer Ten Years Later
Marvel's The Defenders
Funny Games US!!
My favorite film to show people while watching them watch it

I remember watching that in theaters with an old white demo that was clearly more expecting Garden State/Chocolat type faire & the remote control scene was just gold to witness

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Yeah, I wouldn't present the film as profundity, but I'm a sadist & film lover so Funny Games US is the confluence of "film I can inflict on other people". Gaspar Noé and Lars von Trier can hit similar notes. I wouldn't say it's my favorite film of Haneke or anything.
I've got both versions but prefer the American one myself, got too much love for Michael Pitt

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

A MIRACLE posted:

I watched Yoga Hosers ask me anything
Is it as bad as it looks?

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
immediate snippy (keyest word) high dealbreakers...
your show opens with you strangling a dog to put it out of its suffering...talk about goofy and unsubtle. this isn't an anime, sir.
your show opens with you listing synonym/slang for money and then defining it...im good highschool essay

but now I have nothing to watch. I did really like The People v. O.J. Simpson
I've never seen Making a Murderer and pretty much blocked out the cultural osmosis of it so I guess I should maybe just finally watch that.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

air- posted:

Warning everyone, please don't watch Disjointed. It's just Big Bang Theory, except stoners. I thought the opening gag was just a joke, but the laugh track didn't end :barf: I had to shut it off after 5 mins.
I watched the first episode of this high with a friend and it was just weird. I don't know a lot about Lorre and I never watched Big Bang Theory, but wtf. I think it got one laugh out of me and I was really high, so that should tell you that it mostly provoked anxiety and bafflement
like there's a whole freaky PTSD gag with spoken poetry...was that meant to make me laugh or cry? he's just like staring ahead with dead eyes.
THIS was the dark side of marijuana legalization :( just say no.
my lasting impression of Chuck Lorre was "Did this motherfucker just sign off with an elaborate medieval crest?"

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
yaah, Toast of London is good fun. not always consistent and no garth marenghi...but what is?

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Franchescanado posted:

The best Bond is Diamonds Are Forever, and it has nothing to do with the intro song.

(also the best Indiana Jones movie was Temple of Doom well bye later)

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
any suggestions for good workout/treadmill movies? my parameters are usually something that occasionally gets me hype, that doesn't necessarily require my full focus while I'm running...so usually I try to go English-language, action, adventure, fantasy/sci-fi, comic book, thrillers/horror that aren't too detail oriented or slow...
along those lines I watched Guardians 2 and then Death Note (Adam Wingard's), which both did the job. I've seen Doctor Strange/Rogue One/Civil War/POTC/V for Vendetta/whatever Edgar Wright+Tarantino Netflix has right now...

not really looking for anime recs

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Inspector Hound posted:

I chased with Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2 (also Netflix), and I'm fairly sure it's the best Marvel movie so far. Everyone commits so hard, and the jokes land without undercutting the scenes they're in. The most jarring bit is probably Kurt Russell going straight into villain mode when Quill shoots him--you just told the kid you killed his mom, you're immortal, maybe give him a few free shots and keep trying to win him over for another minute. By that point though I guess it's already completely clear he's the bad guy, so they didn't want to waste any more time before the final battle. I hope Sylvester Stallone doesn't die of steroid cancer or whatever before they get to use him again in Vol 3/Infinity Wars.
Agree completely, it made me realize the Guardians movies are basically the only Marvel movies I can tolerate...the quipping and levity actually worked and didn't feel forced unlike every other Marvel film I've seen. I was kind of thinking the same thing about Kurt Russell's character maybe don't make your pitch include LOL BTW I KILLED UR MOM...but then I realized, well, he is a megalomaniacal divine psychopath literally named "EGO", I don't think he was stressing the details with his pitch.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I like Taika as a director but it's not like James Gunn is some random incompetent. He is also quite familiar with pairing drama/action with comedy. Not sure I even think Taika is better at him at that. I thought What We Do in the Shadows was okay. It has some funny moments. To be fair I haven't seen Hunt for the Wilderpeople.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I kind of appreciated it on the level of mel Gibson (potentially) intentionally making the type of film with Classic (read: corny and shallow) characters and over the top performances. It's just that Garfield isn't good at accents (the performance made me leery of Silence, which I have yet to see). I thought Vince Vaughn was laughably miscast, I can't imagine thinking he improved the movie. Anyway you've got your classic "I'm Tex! I'm Brooklyn!" Type cliche ww2 movie squad and schmaltzy romance.
I thought it was an okay film overall, helped a lot by the magnificent true story and a great character/performance from Hugo Weaving.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Any more misguided LGBT jokes or complaints about political correctness?

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
neo yokio might be the ONLY good anime gently caress the haters
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbJr28TV0RU

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
that sounds bad and not about fashion

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Dave whining about LGBT people on the basis of them not having suffered as much as black people is the most mindboggling misguided dumbshit stuff. "they deserve dignity...blahblahblah but LOL they gross yucky." then it's like, "Since when has america cared about how ANY of us feel" yeah, that's what we're trying to change.

I tried bill nye and NDT's Cosmos and neither really stuck. Come back Carl Sagan :(

glad I discovered Neo Yokio, I haven't had this much fun with silly anime since high school

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Jeb! Repetition posted:

What show are you talking about?
Dave Chappelle's new special
https://www.theringer.com/tv/2018/1/4/16847088/dave-chappelle-netflix-specials-social-issues

I like that he punches down like a motherfucker with the transgender (also ignoring the existence of black trans people) while saying the Deplorables he saw seemed like decent just misguided people

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Jan 6, 2018

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

I really didn’t like the whole live audience/laugh track aspect to the first season (I haven’t tried the second yet). I was really hoping for an updated version of the classic Bill Nye the Science Guy with current science and all of that, but alas...
Both Bill Nye and NDT's inclinations towards the theatrical & attention seeking turns me off both and makes me wish Sagan were still alive. I guess maybe I'll turn on cosmos at some point again but the spaceship of imagination poo poo is eyeroll worthy. You barely have to be visible on the show NDT let alone floating around, just narrate the drat thing

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Fargin Icehole posted:

Dave Chappelle: Hot Takes. That sounds right. Gonna watch it here soon

That's kinda what some comedians do by the way, the whole pushing the envelope thing, so don't feel too bad whenever somebody does a trans joke or something. The worst thing that's been happening to comedians is them having to apologize for poo poo.

If it's loving funny and somebody didn't like it and recorded it on their phone without proper context, gently caress that person. Motherfucker pays money to see a comedian so that they can feel offended. What kind of life is that? It's not a goddamn debate room, it's a performance, shut the gently caress up
I think your leather jacket is cutting off your air flow dude

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Saw bright. It was fine. Kinda dumb and mediocre but not deserving of the critical storm it got which I assume was mostly understandable trepidation about Max Landis and potentially hamfisted racial commentary stuff.
None of that really showed up that poorly tho, if anything the lamest part imo were the elf villains. There was potential to be had there but the elves in the movie are just kind of poorly acted Underworld rejects in leather doing corny backflips.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Yeah I don't know where they got that...kinda like when Chapo does movie reviews of "infamously bad" recent poo poo like whatever D.C. or Snyder film is getting dumped on as the "worst...movie...everrrrr" they can get a little too cute hot takey with their attempts at funny analysis
It was definitely a 1%/White People thing, but either way the elf characters just didn't have what it took as villains when it comes to charisma/action/whatever. Just these corny accents, mostly just Underworld knockoffs or Fifth Element poo poo. Maybe the sequel will have better villains but watching them tear through poo poo did nothing for me.
I guess the fed one was okay but he just reminded me of Mark ruffalo in Collateral so I was waiting for him to...well...

Anyway it wasn't as bad as the critical backlash said it'd be but tbh it didn't do a lot for me as an action movie/buddy cop movie in a vacuum.

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Jan 10, 2018

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Sarchasm posted:

I haven't seen Bright and don't really want to, but in my experience you should try to avoid any review outlet whose hook is snarky negativity. If they can't find a flaw they'll create one just to stay on brand.
Yeah this is what I was poorly trying to express. You get it sometimes with WHM, Chapo movie stuff, RLM, it's just part of the expectation when you're known for "taking movies down". It results in a lot of hot takes and half baked digs.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Are either Marie Antoinette or Defiance worth my time?

Finished neo yokio and i found it pretty charming overall. The backlash still mystifies me. Hopefully it gets a second season.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
If a fire alarm had gone off during the hobbit movies I would've considered it a gift from god

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I'm getting movie pass asap but it makes sense living in Southern California. I'm like surrounded by theaters of different types.
Even during the really low months there's some valid theater with some indie or foreign movie worth a shot.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I was bummed cuz I thought it was Shin Godzilla or even the Cranston one, neither of which I've seen.

I'll be glad when I see less of Keir Gilchrist's dopey rear end face crowding my Netflix frontpage. maybe it's mean but I'm sorry dude you're clearly being typecast after being the creepy "nice guy" in It Follows and I'd rather see Dane DeHaan anyway

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

like, seriously, someone let me know when the Made in Abyss guy dies in a freak drawing accident and the planning committee or whatever decides to keep milking the cash cow but without pedophiles at the helm, that's basically my thoughts on the series
Sounds wonderful

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
The only good anime is neo yokio and all others will end in you being justifiably arrested for watching hth

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I thought it was okay
Ice cubes son was sorta entertaining and it was like a subtle episode of black mirror
I don't get doing cocaine in Joshua tree though that's just madness

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Life is weird, man

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Is cloverfield 3 shallow and gripping enough to be a good workout movie
Still looking for more of those

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Huh....
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/netflix-paid-paramount-more-50-million-cloverfield-paradox-1082305

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Where's the Moon bit in Mute exactly? Completely missed it on this viewing tho I'm not done yet.

Saw The Ritual, thought it was fine...some of the tonal shifts and stuff were so sudden that there were multiple points in the movie where I was like "Is...this his dream?" and that sorta worked and sorta didn't work...like I'm not sure how much of it was intentional. I almost preferred it when it was just kind of a low key British Blair Witch. But I appreciated the goofy and weird directions it went into, like The Witch there were a lot of potential directions they could've gone with what's real and what isn't and so forth and I'm not sure they were all the best, but it was fun. The Witch > The Blair Witch Project /The Ritual IMO when it comes to SPOOKY WOODS MOVIES maybe just cuz I love the performances and period piece aspect of The Witch so much. It's so dour and protestant.
The Cloverfield Paradox I was watching with my homies drunk on tet festival and I honestly just left early to go to another party. In my head I was like "If this isn't terrible I'll try to stick around" but...man...The writing, clumsy exposition, unnecessary scenes back on original earth. I like that they inexplicably had the Republic of Ireland represented just to have a goofy quipping Irishman. A lot of my Vietnamese friends were just hype over the Asian representation in the film and Rising China narrative, pointing out that the Chinese lady spoke Mandarin to everybody and they all understood and either responded in kind or in English, she never has to go off into English herself.
Daniel Bruhl is being done a disservice by hollywood and netflix though. He was wonderful in Good Bye Lenin, The Edukators, Inglourious Basterds, but cmon with these B-movies and Marvel bullshit. my man deserves better!!!

meanwhile, if Neo Yokio doesn't get another season Im going to unironically support weeabo genocide. It was fine. It was funny. It was a silly animated thing. There are so many more stupid, perverse, disgusting, more poorly written and acted cartoons and animes these people watch...yet you get one with some black people in it and suddenly it's some simpsons comic book guy poo poo. THE DEATH OF ANIME!!!!! Every year there are anime series written by braindead people, for braindead people, often just for the proliferation of sick anime fetishes & kinks...and yet Jaden Smith is an issue for some reason.
http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-e...e-a8206106.html

I tried watching Wormwood but I got bored after the first episode because the combination of me already being too familiar with the subject matter and the slow pace kinda put me to sleep. I'll dip back in.

p.s. anyone watch The Bad Batch? Completely terrible? Overlooked and underrated? Been meaning to give that a chance.

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Feb 26, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
ah I see the Sam Bell stuff wasn't really missable, I just hadn't gotten that far in the movie. Kept rewinding that outdoor eating scene at the beginning thinking it was there and it was actually right after where I was in the movie. Love seeing Multiple Rockwells. We definitely need a movie with as many Sam Rockwells in as many different costumes as possible. Throw "Somebody's Watching Me" in there somewhere.

I'm definitely gonna give The Bad Batch a shot as someone rooting for and interested in Ana Lily Amirpour's career. Glad a lot of the hate was misguided. Wonder if the same'll be true for Mute.