Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
13 Assassins, Hara-Kiri: Death of a Samurai, Dredd, and Stretch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Leper Residue posted:

While this show is great, and probably one of my favorites, be warned it starts off real rough. Once it gets to episode four though it's just straight awesome.

Yeah, first three episodes are garbage and the show finally explodes in episode four.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

regulargonzalez posted:

Please don't troll

Ignore this troll.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Bored As gently caress posted:

Detention rules. gently caress the haters.

Detention is Heathers for the Adderall and Facebook set.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

madpanda posted:

Watched The One I Love based on thread recommendation.

I will probably rewatch this movie (pretty rare for me), and delight in showing it to people for the first time.

Not really spoilers but would have helped me before watching (still go in cold)

there are no jump scares, you can calm down

actual spoilers
I did not think Jim from The Office could pull off serious. Also those last ~10 seconds, after she says "eggs and bacon", his ability to convey a person fully understanding the situation, and then accepting it, was really impressive.

I hope I'm not ruining a meta-joke, but that isn't Jim from The Office. It is Pete from The League.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
Sirens is a comedy about Chicago EMTs written by Denis Leary. It feels exactly like Leary wrote it. If you want to watch a Denis Leary tv show then this is it. If you don't, don't.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

hope and vaseline posted:

I've fallen in love with this show and burned through the first season really quickly. The cast has really great chemistry with each other and everyone is just really goddamn funny. Sometimes it reminds me of a less cartoony Brooklyn 99.

Well I'm glad someone liked it. I managed an episode and a half, and I hated the pilot. :shrug:

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

hope and vaseline posted:

The pilot isn't the greatest, and some stuff did rub me the wrong way at first (mostly how the black, gay character's entire conversational repertoire was about constantly affirming how yes, he is indeed black, and gay), but the writers quickly start playing to the strengths of the cast and by the second half of the season is already really solid. Season 2 starts off great as well.

Yeah, that was a big problem for me in the first episode. Felt like some insanely lazy writing, kind of why I called it a Leary project. I might give the second episode a shot.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

precision posted:

Sirens actually is really funny. It stars like five different people who all talk like Denis Leary thinks teamsters talk but somehow that isn't obnoxious. I never watched Rescue Me.

It's pretty obnoxious.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

K. Waste posted:

+1 gets off to a rocky start, and it's a pretty sleazy movie, but it ultimately shapes up into a very creative modern take on Invasion of the Body Snatchers. Recommend it.

Our very own FizFashizzle is in it. I forget his real name so I don't know the character he plays, but he's the notorious goon from One Tree Hil. "Dude, it's prom!".

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
It's all about tha U
It's all about tha U
It's all about tha U
It's all about tha U
It's all about tha U

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

NESguerilla posted:

The temporary pull down got me to finally get around and watch peep show in order. I'm in season 5 right now and It's seriously gotta be one of the funniest shows ever.

The dog episode is probably the most beautifully profane bit of television I've ever had the privilege of watching. It is a masterpiece.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

That Works posted:

Please do. My wife won't watch horror so I don't keep up with what's good anymore. Would be nice to have a go to list to turn to on nights she's not around.

Sup, TFF homie with a sissy spouse. :smith::hf::black101:

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

That Works posted:

A yup, she's good about watching / tolerating everything else but that. Each their own I guess.

Same here. She loves Only God Forgives though, so I think I'm keeping her.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Short Penguin posted:

That movie is amazing. One of Ryan Gosling's best roles after Drive.

Yup! And it is currently on Netflix!

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

magnificent7 posted:

I just watched 3/4 of that poo poo punchline snark fest. gently caress that movie. It does not take a wild turn. It does not hide a secret hilarity. It's a script assembled by tweets.

best review on Netflix:

Your generation was responsible for Birth of a Nation. You have no high road. :corsair:

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Eggnogium posted:

I always figured I would hate Detention, and now that I know it's by the same dude as that power rangers short I know I would.

We can't be friends.

After watching that short I now want to see James Van Der Beek play the leading role in an action flick.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

precision posted:

I can't wait until both Detention and Snowpiercer are off Netflix.

And I loved Detention. :colbert:

What's wrong with Snowpiercer?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Marketing New Brain posted:

The only fun I had watching that movie was imagining what sort of direction was given to Russel Crowe to wind up with that performance/the performance itself. RZA should never, ever act.

RZA was just fine in Californication. Of course he was basically playing RZA, but it was better than that poo poo movie.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Marketing New Brain posted:

I kind of feel like you are agreeing with me, because you just described his acting range as "being himself" which is the exact acting range of all lovely actors.

Maybe he's just a really lovely director and he kept telling himself to mumble and sleepwalk through the part and he's a fabulous actor.

Eh, I've watched enough musicians and athletes try to act that RZA's performance in Californication stood out to me as being "better than average for not an actor".

Short Penguin posted:

ah yes, the ever popular "lol only good stoned" movie goer.

Some of us like to get baked and watch a movie sometimes:shrug:. There's nothing wrong with giving a rec based on that. Don't be a weirdo.

Basebf555 posted:

Are the actual fight scenes any good in Man with the Iron Fists?

There is some fun stuff. Dave Bautista gives a decent preview of his character in Guardians of the Galaxy. However, it is an R rated film set in a brothel, yet there is no nudity. That felt like a very odd choice to me.

Chichevache fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Feb 24, 2015

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

weekly font posted:

Batista's fight is probably the best but I was disappointed his weak spot wasn't his balls, because that's a kung fu movie staple for iron skins.

At the same time you can look at Brass Body's Brass Balls as a subversion of the trope. Or just the movie being way too PG, which was my problem.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

axleblaze posted:

I'll third. Motion passes. ABCs of Death is garbage.

Seriously though, as I said earlier, I was downright shocked at how bad that movie turned out. The best segments there are mediocre and the worst are borderline unwatchable.
Fourthed. I didn't enjoy a single loving short, and I think The New Guy is the most subversive comedy on Netflix.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Pander posted:

You sound like my fiancee as I tried to convince her to watch Firefly, BSG, the Wire, Arrested Development...current targets are Breaking Bad and Archer. On the other hand, she's trying to make me catch up to her in Orange is the new Black and House of Cards, so...

My fiance and I have been enjoying Community on UK netflix. It is absolutely fantastic and I really wish I'd started it earlier.

Also Boondocks season 4 is finally up. If you haven't been watching that show, you hosed up.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

K. Waste posted:

In this order:
1) The Elephant Man
2) Lair of the White Worm
3) Leaving Las Vegas

If you haven't been watching Season 4, you made the right choice.

I've never seen season 4, but I'm watching the first episode and it ain't too bad. :shrug:

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

The Time Dissolver posted:

I hadn't seen it but I looked it up and I rest my case.

I just started watching Community on UK Netflix. It is one of the best shows I've ever seen.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

stickyfngrdboy posted:

Fair enough, I just found it to be very bad so won't bother watching any more. I certainly didn't think there was any depth to it at all.

The depth is there if you look for it. Like the editor who famously dismissed Nabokov's 'Vane Sisters', you just need to give it more credit than you have.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
Sonatine is one of the most beautifully shot movies I have ever seen. Dark, funny, heartwarming. Violent. People have been recommending it for years in these threads and I should have listened to them earlier. Easily in my top 20 of all time, maybe top 10.

swansong posted:

I can't stand by and let people watch Dredd when they should be watching The Raid instead.

Is it on netflix again? It wasn't a month ago.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Eggnogium posted:

Listen to the original War of the Worlds radio broadcast or the recording of the Jonestown massacre.

Jonestown massacre is a fascinating listen. It is up on the Wikipedia page.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Leper Residue posted:

So I actually watched Sonatine tonight and wow. Not at all what I was expecting, but I loved it. It is all the things you said it was, and has kind of stuck itself into my brain cavity. Though you left out sad. Not depressing, or downtrodden or grimm, just genuinely sad. I think I'm gonna give it a few days and watch it again.

I probably should have mentioned other people would find it very sad, but I found the ending so empowering that it didn't leave me with that feeling. I am a weirdo.

Sarchasm posted:

I've said it before in this thread, but the paper sumo scene in Sonatine is one of my favorite scenes in all of film.

That scene was so beautiful I called my fiance into the room so she could watch it with me again. It might be my favorite scene in a film ever, or at least it has stuck with me. I need to make an avatar of those two guys prepping for the sump fight in double speed. :allears:

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Wolfsheim posted:

I'm still kind of reeling over the idea of someone bothering to read the script to Dredd :raise:

I mean I love the movie but not exactly for its intricate plot or amazing Glengarry-esque dialogue.

The plot wasn't an Umberto Ecco novel, but it was pretty intricate for what it was. Everything ties together very coherently.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

It's actually a good show to watch while in a sober lucid state where you can process narrative and dialogue, too.

Look at this baby who can't understand words while high.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

crondaily posted:

QT said Big Bad Wolves was the best movie of 2013, its on Netflix and man is it something. Reminds me of a black comedy I Saw The Devil.

Sounds amazing. On it.

Edit

Just read the synopsis. It sounds like the perfect pairing with Prisoners.

Chichevache fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Mar 15, 2015

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
I'm looking for an Irish crime or action film. Dark and violent is preferable. I'm hoping for something in the vein of The Wind That Shakes the Barley or The Departed. American Irish, anything Boston, is acceptable as well.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Cognac McCarthy posted:

It's not a drama, but if you've seen The Boondock Saints or know anything about it, Overnight (it's on YouTube) is a good documentary that gets recommended here every once in a while, about the making of the movie. You get to see a Boston rear end in a top hat making a movie about Irish gangster-busters, so it's tangentially related and it's pretty compelling, if low fidelity. Duffy is sort of a tragic, almost Lowmanesque anti-hero who is still ultimately an rear end in a top hat before all else. I found it really easy to see people I know really well when seeing him talk about how great he is, you might find the same.

I'm not interested in a documentary for tonight, but this sounds good and I will check it out in the future. Thanks.

I should add: if no one can think of a good Irish film, I will also happily watch anything that involves Brits in horrible suffering. Please nothing WW2 related because I don't feel like suffering horribly through Brittany.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Dr. Platypus posted:

In Bruges would fit this pretty well.

Seen it. One of my all time favorite films, but it is a bit more of a meditation than what I am looking for right now

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
Noah is balls to the wall crazy, eerily beautiful, and I hope there exists a director's cut that shows the ending I really wanted.

Watch it

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

stickyfngrdboy posted:

Whoever wanted the most crazy poo poo must have won, because nobody could have wanted more than there already is

You're on crack if you don't think the logical conclusion of the film was that Noah should kill his family and end human existence.

Noah's biggest problem is that it is called "Noah". If Aronofsky had changed all the names and pretended the story was a response instead of a retelling, then I bet it would cut down on the amount of people upset because they didn't get it or didn't try to.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

stickyfngrdboy posted:

I dont think this is true. It's not a very good film, and that isn't because it's about Noah. It's still worth a watch, I'd say, but it isn't one most people will love.

Then what is not very good about it? Because all the complaints I have heard tend to boil down to "it was not what I expected/wanted and therefore it is bad".

I'm not arguing it was a great film, by the way. I had already forgotten it even existed until this thread brought it up.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

stickyfngrdboy posted:

I just didn't enjoy it very much. I liked the scenery and the score, I thought it had some nice ideas, and some bad ones (the rock people for one), I thought crowe was bad but Jennifer connelly was good. Like I said I think everyone should watch it at least once but I can't see many people loving it.

Fair points. I just get my panties in a wad when people say "it was bad" instead of "I didn't like it".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

uPen posted:

Bit late but you'd probably enjoy Zulu.

I enjoyed the hell out of it when I was a little kid. I didn't know the name, but I still remember a significant amount of the movie. Thanks for bringing my attention to it. I had been wanting to revisit it.