Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
Danger 5 is a fun little show on netflix.

NESguerilla posted:

The Cable Guy is a pretty good, weird movie and I don't know why it got panned so much when it came out. Watching it again I can only assume it was too dark for what people wanted out of Jim Carey at the time?

I would consider it one of the best black comedies ever. Really fun film.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Skywalker OG posted:

I am sorry but Nobody calls San Francisco "San Fran."

Yeah, you call it "Frisco" just to watch them squirm.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
The third V/H/S horror anthology is up. The first two were a ton of fun, both had more hits than misses in my opinion, and the "misses" were still fun little shorts that I did enjoy. I haven't watched the third yet though, so if you get a chance let me know how it is. I think it is listed as V/H/S Viral.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

mysterious frankie posted:

The first one is in my current top 20, because it features Joe Swanberg being stabbed in his loving throat.

Might I recommend You're Next?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
Just watched VHS Viral and I didn't hate it? :shrug: It is certainly a total departure from the first two films, so much so that I wouldn't even recognize it as being part of the franchise if it weren't the loving title.

Maybe I just didn't suffer from high expectations, particularly since the entire thread bashed it earlier, but I had a lot of fun watching it. Nothing scary in this movie, nothing even really worth calling horror. But that, to me, does not make it a bad film. VHS 3 felt coherent, like there was something it was trying to say. Maybe they didn't achieve it in a satisfactory manner, but they definitely weren't just throwing blood and death at a screen. There is purpose here, something to do with reversals of fortune and subverting expectations, I just haven't decided what it is yet.

If you want another VHS, then this definitely is not the film for you. If you want to shut your brain off and watch some kinda fun poo poo that comes out of nowhere, this movie is pretty solid. Treat it like Detention and just enjoy the spectacle. Or go total sperg and analyze the hell out of it, because that can be fun too.

Whatever you do, don't go into this movie unless you really want to, because I guarantee you'll have a terrible loving time and just get mad at poor ol' Chiche.

edit
Samurai Jack, the greatest American saturday morning cartoon of the 2000s that isn't Johnny Bravo, is up.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e51hgWIsY4M

Chichevache fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Mar 30, 2015

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

ravenkult posted:

:negative:

Yep, seen em.

Did you just make up an extremely narrow genre so you could drive us all mad?

Watch Shooter. Mark Wahlberg owns a cabin in it.

Edit
What Should I Watch On Netflix: Love Yurts?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

alansmithee posted:

Ehh, it's ok but I thought the segments were maybe the weakest of the bunch. I think a couple of the segments actually had ideas that were kinda cool but I don't like how they were executed. I actually wish they would've fleshed out the wrapper on this one a lot more. I do agree with you that it's not particularly scary. The skateboard part was kinda fun though (and was by far my fave segment).

Echoing this, that was way better than I expected it to be.

I definitely agree that the segments are weaker as horror, I'm just not sure that they were even intended as horror. Like the skateboard one in particular. I had an absolute blast watching that scene, but it felt more like what I imagine Evil Dead to be (shut up, I know I need to watch that and I will do so someday.) than an actual horror film.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
It gets a bit wacky at times, but Confession of Murder may be the most unrelentingly hosed up Korean thriller I have seen. Everything is set up beautifully, so I didn't actually have any trouble suspending my disbelief. The fights and chases are absolutely fantastic. There is one scene that uses some slightly noticeable CGI, but the scale of the scene is so impressive it is hard for me to fault them for it. Cinematography and transitions that are on the level of Park Chan-wook as well.

If you enjoyed Yellow Sea, I Saw the Devil, or any of the Revenge trilogy, this movie is probably for you.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

ozmunkeh posted:

So I just watched the first VHS and found it a slog to even make it to the end credits. Should I give the others a wide birth or do they get better?

The 3rd one, VHS Viral, might be fun for you to try. Everyone who likes the first 2 hates the 3rd.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

There is literally no way to predict if someone will like or dislike any particular VHS segment.

:agreed:

Half the fun of the movies is other people's reaction to them.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

knows a black guy posted:

Thanks for this tip, I've seen all the standard Korean thrillers and was jonesing for something new.

Let me know what you think. I felt like something was very different about this one, but I am having trouble pinpointing why I feel that way.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Mash posted:

Netflix just got Let's Be Cops and I enjoyed it, a solid 7/10. Then again I'd watch anything with Jake Johnson and Damon Wayons Jr. in it so :shrug:

I saw it in theaters :420: and I'd give it an 8 out of 10. Definitely worth watching if you'd like a good laugh. There were some pretty funny scenes in it. Nina Dobrev is fine as hell too.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

GonSmithe posted:

Let's Be Cops is pretty vile.

How so?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

yeah the scene in Chronicle where they first discover and test their powers is very easily the highlight of the movie. it's all downhill from there.

I almost bit on this crap opinion, but then I recognized your avatar and remembered you just don't like fun. It is ok, different strokes and all, I just want to make sure impressionable readers have that background information so they aren't swayed.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

my avatar is very fun, you take that back

:blush:
I like you, dog, but you are a curmudgeon.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

ozmunkeh posted:

Honeymoon and the alien dog camera one are the worst segments of their respective movies.

Honeymoon is like someone decided to make a new Tales of the Unexpected but forgot to add any wit or charm. Alien dog is just bad.

Agreed. Slumber Party and Honeymoon are the worst two in the series, for me.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

neonnoodle posted:

Netflix has devolved badly in the last 3-5 years. I know it's not their fault but the catalog is now like 85% B-class documentaries/documercials, horror sequels, and occasionally a good movie or TV show. It seems like they hardly add anything older than 30 years ago to the streaming catalog anymore.

What I want is pretty much the streaming equivalent of channels like TCM, but most older films are only streamable a la carte on services like Amazon and VUDU. There is the Warner Archive but that is pretty B-quality stuff and they know it. Hulu is good for the Criterion Collection, but what do you do when you want to watch older movies that are... I dunno, middlebrow? Like old musicals, comedies, etc.?

I don't think they expected your generation to patronize their service.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Franchescanado posted:

The bro rape short was the best. Sets up the tone, and legitimately creeped me out. Everything else has been hit or miss after that one.

"I like you."

Hands down the best individual scene in the series for me. My fiance and I stay still have fun quoting that to each other.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
D-D-DDOUBLE POST

I am less than 3 minutes into the movie, but I highly recommend Wolfcop to everyone who is currently breathing. This movie is clearly a modern masterpiece and not watching it is like pissing on the Mona Lisa.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
As far as good movies go: I just found A History of Violence on Canadian netflix. drat I wish I'd seen this a decade ago. Truly one of the few academy nominated films in the past 15 years that is actually good.

Edit
Vvvv
I don't think Tusk is a misunderstood and underappreciated classic, but that's your opinion I guess. :shrug:

Chichevache fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Apr 4, 2015

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

ravenkult posted:

Can I get some TV show recs? Sitcoms okay. I've been sick for a couple of months and I ran out of dumb stuff to watch while I work.

I've seen:
Always Sunny
New Girl (didn't like it)
The League
Californication
GoT
Elementary
Grimm

For background watching I'd try Don't Trust the Bitch in Apartment 23. Peepshow and That Mitch and Webb Look are also excellent, but you do have to pay attention to them.

Are you using your computer or tv? If your computer then we can recommend a bunch of stuff on foreign netflix blah blah.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Accident Underwater posted:

This show is great whether you like cooking shows or game shows, and Alton Brown is just so incredibly entertaining in everything he does.

Word. Cutthroat Kitchen is fantastic. It might be the only thing I really miss about cable.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Crank is ok but Dredd is like 10x better

:thumbsup:
You're back in my good books.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

stickyfngrdboy posted:

My wife says I have no choice, i have to watch it, because the main guy is fit. That means handsome.

Watch Spartacus instead, and in the words of the show, see her oval office moisten with thought of real men.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Rome had Deadwood quality performances and dialogue.

Spartacus had Shakespearean quality dialogue. :colbert:

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

LORD OF BUTT posted:

Crixus is worth watching the show for on his own.

:agreed:

Batiatus is one of the most amazingly conceived and executed characters I have ever watched. Every loving line of his is fantastic and the actor loving kills it.

You can't convince me that the bard wouldn't love this.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Turambar posted:

Comedy chat: I love Better of Ted. It's a terribly funny workplace comedy. Too smart for it's own good, so it was cancelled after about 20 episodes.

My fiance and I absolutely love this show. Season 2 episode 5, 'the great repression', is probably the funniest 20 minutes of television I have ever seen. The entire episode is absolute gold.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Anonymous Robot posted:

Check out Is the Man Who Is Tall Happy? if you want to hear Michel Gondry talk over and misunderstand Noam Chomsky.

I'm tall and I am not happy. Now no one has to bother watching this.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Franchescanado posted:

Are there any good documentaries on Amazon or Netflix on creativity and/or creative people. I'm trying to stay productive with my own pursuits, and watching documentaries about others really helps fuel my work ethic.

A few examples:

Beauty is Embarrassing
The Devil & Daniel Johnston
Jiro Dreams of Sushi
Jack Kerouac: King of the Beats
Gonzo
Bukowski: Born Into This
The Scream Factory
The American Scream
Birth of the Living Dead
Gigantic: A Tale of Two Johns
Greenwich Village: Music that Defined a Generation
No Direction Home
Exit Through The Gift Shop

I'd prefer a concentration on an individual, and their medium doesn't have to be specific, just something about creativity and the act of creating.

Knuckle and Senna both focus heavily on artists and how they practice their craft.

Edit
Whaddya know, they finally took both of those down.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
Help me Netflix thread, you are my only hope!

I am watching The Dark Valley right now and I need more (the movie is decent so far, but not quite what I desire). Help me find something where a stranger or strangers show up to a town/city/future place/school and get involved with local goings on. Something like Yojimbo, Sukiyaki Western Django, Appaloosa, or A Fistful of Dollars. It doesn't have to be a western, but a shadowy figure/s must come in and gently caress poo poo up.

That Works posted:

Hot Fuzz just came up on Netflix.

All you uninitiated cunts best watch this movie.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

LORD OF BUTT posted:

I don't think a docu about a guy whose career basically died in the crib is a good choice for that

He wants a documentary that features work ethic; you don't think the documentary about a man who sacrifices a lucrative career for his art fits that bill because?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

LORD OF BUTT posted:

When I think "getting motivated to make stuff" I don't think of stuff about dudes who got nearly no recognition for making anything and were literally blacklisted from their preferred medium

Sorry Van Gogh doesn't inspire you, dude. :shrug:

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
the greater good

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

This man is in his mid-60s when the movie was shot. :allears:

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Darthemed posted:

The Principal, The Substitute, Stand and Deliver, High School High, Only The Strong.

Thank you for recommending something! I ended up watching The Twilight Samurai on UK/Irish netflix. It sort of satisfied my itch, but not by much.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Allyn posted:

Not sure if it's available to stream but The Guest is exactly what you're after

Thanks! Sounds like something I would be looking for. Unfortunately it isn't on US Netflix, and for some reason moreflicks.com isn't showing it when I search the title. I will have to go through a few of the foreign netflix the old fashioned way later.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

This movie is so cheesy and good.

Looked it up, saw "capoeira" and started laughing. Then I saw who the star of the film is.

Watching this now.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

LORD OF BUTT posted:

Synth-heavy soundtrack, lighting heavy on bright neon colors, emotionless killer protagonist... The Guest and Drive aren't super similar but I can definitely see the comparison

Driver is not emotionless.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

precision posted:

It absolutely is in moments. The opening scene is Gosling exhibiting no emotion, only stoic and precise execution of skill. It's just that later on he slowly and subtly begins showing emotion. Which is why it's a great performance. Gosling has a great grasp of restraint in most of his roles.

Stoicism and emotionless are two different things. Being stoic is suppressing and hiding emotions (or the philosophical poo poo too). Being emotionless is to not have those emotions. You might as well assume he doesn't have a penis either, since Driver didn't actually pull it out and dangle it in front of the camera.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

mr.capps posted:

That is actually a good point. The Driver doesn't have a penis.

edit

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Yeah, don't get me wrong here. The movie was great and it was a transient "hey, it's that sound effect" moment.

I was just watching a Korean film and I had the same problem. They use that terrible stock "clay pot smashing" noise that I am pretty sure is from the first Diablo. It is definitely in several of the Dynasty Warriors games. It shouldn't be a big deal, but every loving time it happened (a lot) it kinda of jerked me out of the movie for a second. It probably shouldn't be a huge deal, but it does help illustrate the value of a good foley artist.

Chichevache fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Apr 18, 2015