Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

K. Waste posted:

Pi can't poo poo all over anything. It's caught somewhere between Clerks and Tetsuo: The Iron Man.

I also don't think Requiem for a Dream is such hot poo poo. Come at me.
Come at your for your terrible ability at judging the worth of a movie? Nah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
I'm watching natural born killers for the first time. What an odd movie.

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
Would an ad blocker work on hulus ads?

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

stickyfngrdboy posted:

Broadchurch was garbage (although Colman was, as usual, very good) and it's obvious about three episodes in whodunnit.

Lol I disagree.

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
Broadchurch is pretty good though?

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

alansmithee posted:

it's easily better than true detective based on the fact it's not horrible.

Why, in your opinion, was true detective horrible?

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

This is why cop shows are formulaic to the point of exhaustion.

What is why the cop shows are formulaic?

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

LloydDobler posted:

Makes you wonder why they wouldn't just outsource the whole goddamn thing through Netflix or Amazon. Zero infrastructure to build, solid network already in place, solid interface already in place. Just pass the data files over. Hell I'd pay an additional $10 or whatever to Netflix for the "HBO access pack" or whatever they wanted to call it.

Because why would Netflix want to do that?

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

OldSenileGuy posted:

That actually makes me wonder if using MLB.tv's platform is part of the problem. Televised baseball is often.....static*, let's say. Which presumably would lend itself well to a variable frame rate compression algorithm since the camera is not moving or barely moving.

But apply that same frame rate to a narrative show, you're inevitably going to have some scenes where the frame rate drops and it's noticeable. Which I believe is one of the chief complaints about HBO Now.

*static is code for "boring as poo poo"

Why would a camera angle changing make the service throttle? A camera angle changing doesn't change anything with the data that is being received and displayed. Maybe I'm wrong someone who knows more about this stuff please correct me if so.

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Let's put it like this:

Most streamed video is not just sending pictures of each frame. Instead, the data is keyframed (i.e. here's a new shot/scene) and then an algorithm is used to only change the parts of the picture that is updated.

So changing angles requires the entire frame to come down the pipe, rather than just the difference, which uses more bandwidth.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motion_compensation

"Datamoshing" is possible because of these algorithms.

Cool. Thanks for the info.

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

Loki_XLII posted:

Hell yeah. Saw the last half of this years ago with no context, and didn't even realize it was something I'd seen until I started watching it now. This movie owns.

It is wonderful. I've seen it 10+ times in showing it to friends. Loved it every time.

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

DarkSun6890 posted:

Is there a grease monkey plug-in or something that makes this new Netflix not so lovely? Any time I click "continue watching" it plays one episode and makes me return back to the homepage to watch the next, instead of just being a playlist. Maybe it's one of my existing plug-ins interfering?

It doesn't do that for me :shrug:

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

Gilok posted:

Watch UHF. It's on Prime and it's $3 bucks on google and amazon etc. This movie was extremely formative to my entire sense of humor.

Yeah great movie

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

stickyfngrdboy posted:

Hard Eight is still his best film for me. Inherent Vice is worth a watch, though.

Hard 8 is a great movie, check it out people.

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Is the shield on Netflix?

The shield is on Amazon prime instant

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

WTF? Why am I watching this with commercials then?

*edit - no, only on Amazon Instant if you want to buy it.

What? It was on there a month ago. Sorry for the bad info

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I love the priest from Deadwood, so much so that I really enjoy his show on Sundance, Rectify.

Rectify is a great show. The first season was spectacular. I didn't watch the second because I didn't want to allow them to tarnish the first season.

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
The new wet hot american summer is pretty great. I'm only two episodes in so far, but so far so good

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

That Works posted:

I finally watched Hurt Locker for the 1st time and I didn't think it was good at all.

Seen lots of war movies etc, don't much care if the point was trying to be anti war or glorifying it or anything. Also, I'm not one to nitpick details etc either but almost everything they guys did in the movie seemed massively unrealistic. It's like they never had radio contact with anyone ever or tried to report in what they were doing / what was happening to them and that's ignoring the main characters willing lack of communication. The movie itself was shot well and the scenes / scenery looked great but anytime something in the plot was happening I was just thinking "no way these guys are this dumb"

I didn't have these feelings at all when I watched the movie and maybe you expected too much when you went into it

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
I'm looking for a comedy akin to hot rod or its always sunny. Is there anything similar to this on Netflix?

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

dreadnought posted:

I don't really think those two things have anything in common other than being comedies, but The League is really similar to Sunny. It's less absurdist but still really fits into the whole post-Seinfeld terrible-people-doing-terrible-things canon.

Edit: Before you ask, you don't really need to know anything about football, fantasy or otherwise, to enjoy The League. You'll miss some jokes, but by the 4th season, the league itself is barely mentioned.

I've already seen all of the league. I loved it though so that was a good recc

Franchescanado posted:

Top Secret!, Wet Hot American Summer, They Came Together, The Naked Gun, Tommy Boy, Detention, Team America

Seen them all except top secret. I liked them all so these are more good reccs

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

pahuyuth posted:

The above posts are true and I love me some Nic Cage (Raising Arizona and ConAir are masterpieces!). However, I have never seen Leaving Las Vegas and I am ashamed to admit it given the high praise I often hear associated with it. Should I correct that?

No you should not watch one of Nicolas cages best performances.

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

girth brooks part 2 posted:

I have had that drat song he sings stuck

I'd appreciate some spoilers brosef

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

neonnoodle posted:

I can't wait for Mr. Rogers. I need that poo poo in my life right now. I only wish that there were more episodes of How It's Made on Hulu... :smith:

They just started air in new how it's made on tv so dvr it

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
Popeye is a good movie. Very odd but good. They really capture the aesthetic of the cartoon.

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
They changed the intro music to House and its messing with me so much.

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

Maxwell Lord posted:

They've been slowly shifting towards a focus on original programming. Some of which is quite good, mind you, but it's really disappointing that they keep changing their mission- first they let the DVD department go to seed (the number of things the physical service doesn't have often surprises me), now they're like "Eh, who watches MOVIES anymore?"

I mean they have all the data of what people are choosing to watch. So they're probably just following those numbers to cater to their users preferences in entertainment.

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

Sleeveless posted:

Movie studios are getting greedy now that streaming is the one platform that is actually growing and rival platforms like Amazon and Hulu are using the money and connections of their massive parent companies to try and elbow in on the market via exclusivity deals with shows, like it or not original programming is the surest thing they have going for them. Especially since premium cable networks are finally breaking into a la carte subscriptions and pulling their shows off of competing services.

Yeah it's this.

I mean I wish Netflix had all the movies but production companies get competing offers from different services.

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

coyo7e posted:

Yeah this was nearly exactly my first thought when I encountered it, except I live in a place where it's more likely to be a well-meaning idiot with a serious gun-rights chip on his shoulder who may or may not believe that Obama is going to send a spree shooter to the latest showing of Jurassic Park.

That's why I consider the bag checking thing to be a passive-aggressive way to shame people from bringing their own stuff in, than any potential security boost - just like sending a kid with a flashlight through the theater two or three times during the showing.

When they find some chick does have pepper spray and a pink .32 in her purse, are they going to send her away? Reimburse her ticket price? Let alone the angry redneck gun-rights enthusiast who truly believes he's doing a public service by bringing his own protection to the theater.. And the first serious gun nut who has a concealed permit is gonna call the NRA and have a media team and lawyers down there to go full Kim Davis faster than corporate can say "PR debacle".

I worked at a movie theater. One time a guy carried a gun into the theater. When we noticed we told him it was against theater policy to have guns on the property. He took his gun outside and locked it in his car. Problem solved

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
I am still being charged 7.99 a month. When will that end?

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
Yeah I saw circle. It was only all right. There were some bad actors in it but overall the acting was solid.

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
I'm sad Andy Dick is still alive

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

pahuyuth posted:

I watch a random episode of NewsRadio every evening and yeah, Andy Dick is tolerable and Khandi Alexander is underused. Rogan is alright I guess. But the big takeaway is how much of a tragedy Phil Hartman's murder was.

Yeah Phil Hartman ruled. All murder is tragic though.

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

what if it was Andy Dick?

You found the one exception to the rule

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

Taken was also edited down to a PG in its theatrical US release.

To PG?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
drat. That's insane.

Blacks books is back on Netflix. Watch the good stuff peeps