Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Finished Godless on Netflix the other day and it was... OK. I felt it was let down by the final gunfight - kind of a disappointing mess of action cliches. I guess everything can’t be Unforgiven but it really took me out of it; I think a modern series needs to be a bit more grounded to rise to the top. The cast being primarily female was refreshing for a Western.

Finished up Ash vs Evil Dead yesterday after being stalled for months halfway though season 2. The last two episodes were worth it but I probably won’t bother watching season 3 when it hits Netflix.

Working on finishing Black Mirror S4 now after also abandoning it for a while (trying to wrap up things before I switch to another service for a while) and I really, really hate episode 3. The tech hook is lame nonsense and the main character is utterly unsympathetic. Not sure I’m going to bother with the rest of it after that; the only episode I’ve really heard mentioned in this season was the first one. Has this show run its course at this point?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

veni veni veni posted:

Yeah Godless was pretty mediocre imo.
The main reason I watched it was because it heard some parts of a Fresh Air interview with the creator but I think he oversold it. I get that he was trying to convey that Jeff Daniel’s character didn’t think he was evil (in an attempt to make things less black and white) but I didn’t really buy it. I don’t think any amount of brainwashing cult-of-personality would let him gather up a group of 30 mooks that would unhesitatingly lay down their lives for him. I think the bar for “good TV” has been raised high enough that it needed some more convincing writing.

I did like some of the characters and there were moments I thought worked well (particularly Whitey’s unglamorous demise) but overall... do better next time.

Edit:

Lycus posted:

The climax fight was the worst part of Godless, but it did never do everything it could've done with the town.
Yeah I thought they could have done more there too - other than the negotiation scene you didn’t see much of the internal conflict of the place.

david_a fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Sep 28, 2018

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Queen Combat posted:

Hang the DJ (episode 4, series 4) is one of my favorites, and while I didn't like the tech hook of metalhead (s4e5), I REALLY liked the execution. I still like black mirror despite a few duds. San Junipero, White Bear are the two best episodes of TV for me in their respective years.
Looking at reviews, Crocodile (s4e3) seems to be by far the weakest episode of the season so I won’t give up on it quite yet.

Does Hulu have Fargo S3 and Legion S2 yet?

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Lycus posted:

It didn't work for me because all I can think of was "wait, why was he at the sheriff's office and not the hotel".
Because he’s an overconfident idiot kid would be my explanation. Was that even the sheriff’s office? There was a shadow of a cross on the wall; I don’t remember that from the jail house. It wasn’t his shack though...

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Shudder app works perfectly fine on my Apple TV. Even the Joe Bob Briggs stream was fine. The only recent problems I’ve ever had with streaming have been with HBO Now.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Timby posted:

I feel like Hulu has steadily gotten better than Netflix, but I will fully admit I'm very cool or cold on most of the so-called "Netflix Originals." Honestly, the only reason I keep Netflix is because they have Cheers, Frasier and the Star Treks commercial-free; their movie library is garbage nowadays.
I feel like Netflix has a steady drip of interesting smaller movies that I would never really run out of stuff to watch on it. I only cancelled it now because it’s so painless to stop and restart later and I want to watch a few things on Hulu (I don’t like having multiple streaming services at once because I won’t watch them all enough to justify it). Hulu’s movie selection seems pretty drat dire in comparison.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
You guys need to specify what device you’re using. Netflix & Shudder seem comparable on an Apple TV, Hulu is maybe a bit worse, HBO Now is terrible.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Frog Act posted:

I enjoyed westworld and it's 70s protocg a ton, I'm really looking forward to Logans Run and Soylent Green, both of which I've never seen

I watched Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1956) last night and was reminded why it's one of my favorite movies ever, does the 1978 Nimoy remake work well or is it best avoided?
Hell yes the 1978 version works well!

Nimoy is a creepy new age guru dude that’s totally different than Spock. Jeff Goldblum is at the peak of his skittish neuroticism and Veronica Cartwright puts in another epic freak out performance. Keep an eye out for Kevin McCarthy’s (star of the ‘56 version) cameo too!

david_a fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Nov 4, 2018

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
The Satanic Temple does stuff like this which is hilarious.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

plz dont pull out posted:

Not really a show but Bon Appetit's Youtube channel is probably some of my favorite online cooking content. They got recipe videos along with stuff on the more travel side of things (usually with Brad). All the people on it are super likable. Here's some videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMT7EnJ_Kp8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuOnYDEIjUA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7VOCR3wWhM
I found BA recently too. Claire’s series on making gourmet junk food clones is memorizing.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Queen Combat posted:

There was a third season of Narcos?

Dang there was. Wasn't interested after Escobar died. The way the narrative was written for those first two seasons, it was a battle of two personalities. I couldn't see how they could continue that after one of the two was gone.
They attempted to with one of the former bit players but even after playing fast and loose with history (private C-17s lol) it just felt underwhelming.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Rorobb posted:

Just watched about 2/3s of Babylon Berlin in the last week. It’s really loving good
It’s very good but unfortunately gets a little hokey by the end. I’m still going to watch S2.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Frog Act posted:

I'm also wondering if people liked Preacher, I enjoyed the comics and am surprised to see the show is good thus far
I just started it last week. So far it seems a bit schlocky but not nearly as much as say Ash vs Evil Dead. I don’t know what to think yet because the main character doesn’t know what’s going on so I’m not sure the show has really “started” yet.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

old.flv posted:

nothing on and nothing to do - guess I'll watch...Bram Stoker's Dracula

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Love Stole the Day posted:

If you liked Kung Fury, there's a new one that just came out this week. It's called Commando Ninja:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0Gec5JbQAg

It's French, but it has boobies and English subtitles. Instead of doing the Kung Fu Nazi movie tropes, they do the Vietnam Predator/Platoon/Rambo/Mad Max tropes instead.

68 minutes!? That’s like an actual commitment

You swear that thing is worth it?

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I thought the first half of King Fury was amusing but the last half drags too much. Making it even shorter and more condensed would have probably improved it.

There was some horrible talk about making it into a full-length Hollywood movie but surely that idea has di-

”Wikipedia” posted:

In February 2018, Michael Fassbender and Arnold Schwarzenegger were confirmed to star alongside Hasselhoff in the upcoming film.
:gonk:

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Queen Combat posted:

Snark aside, I really, really loved San Junipero. More so after initially thinking it had a good ending, but hitting the fridge horror of, "Oh no, wait. That's bad," about a day later.
The ending song was a stroke of genius

Black Mirror is a show I have to be a bit careful about when I watch because the “good” episodes make you feel pretty horrible afterwards.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Enos Cabell posted:

Speaking of Seth MacFarlane on Hulu, I'm not really a fan but caught a bit of The Orville after a football game and thought it was decent. I'm about halfway through s1 now and am really enjoying this.
Yeah I started watching it too. It’s not nearly as jokey as I thought it would be. The setting is basically a perfectly straight Star Trek clone. The humor so far is just a few quips here and there.

If you really wanted a TNG Season 8, here you go. McFarlane really seems like a genuine fan.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Monglo posted:

Does Orville get better later on?
I've seen the first episode and it didn't quite grip me.
I think I’m like 6-7 episodes in and so far it’s fairly consistent but I think I remember hearing one of the later episodes is supposed to be a standout. I’ve been pretty lenient with it because it’s so shamelessly similar to TNG. If you want more of that type of show and you don’t just want to rewatch TNG again then I think you’ll end up liking it, but I certainly wouldn’t say this show is top-tier modern television.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Take advantage of how easy it is to cancel/restart Netflix. They’ll keep your watch list and everything. I hop around from one streaming service to the next because I figure I shouldn’t be watching so much that I need multiple ones at a time anyway.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Mammal Sauce posted:

If there are any other goons who have skipped The Shield for whatever reason, go to Hulu and start a marathon. I'm halfway through season 2 and it's the best thing I've watched since The Wire.

I've known of the show, but at some point I got it in my head it was originally on one of the big three and assumed it would be a watered-down poo poo fest. Luckily, I finally gave it a whirl and discovered how wrong I was.
It’s easily #2 for that type of show (I don’t know how you beat The Wire). I didn’t know much of anything about it before I watched except it starred a bald dude or something but it’s absolutely top tier. Those last couple of episodes really go places and it all comes back to the pilot episode.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

veni veni veni posted:

The Shield has been on my short list for a while, and I trust that it's good, but every time I watch clips of it, it just looks so hokey.
The early seasons (especially the pilot) look a bit rough and that stupid Kid Rock song at the end of the pilot doesn’t do the show any favors but I never thought it was too distracting. They might have intentionally went for a slight Cops vibe because it never moves beyond 4:3 SD (it’s never in a documentary style, but the video quality is pretty similar) although I don’t know when cable shows moved to widescreen (the last season was in 2008).

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

nate fisher posted:

(The Shield) My only complaint is that awful Kid Rock song in the first episode made it feel so dated, but that is my fault since I am watching it 17 years later.
I warned you guys!!!

Glenn Close, Forest Whitaker, Laura Harring, Franka Potente, Laurie Holden... The guest stars really were top notch on that show.

When it ended I was sad I wouldn’t get to see the continuing adventures of Dutch & Claudette.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Class Warcraft posted:

Nightcrawler is worth the price of admission. I’m not really equipped with the right vocabulary to describe it but it’s one of the most bonkers and engrossing movies I’ve seen in years
Louis Bloom is the perfect Objectivist

The fact that there exists, much like Scarface, people who think he’s some kind of a role model is amazing and a pretty damning indictment of our species

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I have such mixed feelings about that movie. It came out when I was in college in the late '90s and even then, I wanted to love it, but it features the worst, most obnoxious performance from a kid actor ever. But otherwise, it's loving rad, and I still love the soundtrack by the Red Elvises, a real band I've seen live twice. (They also appear in the movie.)
Goddamnit I had blissfully forgotten that kid exists

We watched it at a work movie night and I would get random calls days later from a coworker going MAAH! and hanging up

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Wiggles Von Huggins posted:

i just finished, and i have to disagree. all 2.5 hours seemed to be just in the service of christian good/evil symbolism. the first half was fine and then i just got super bored. im pretty mad at all these recs i got from horror fans. it was barely a horror movie. more of a who dunnit but with zombies occasionally. usually i like the over long korean horror hybrid type films ive seen. but this one just wasnt worth it.
I’ve been kinda wary about watching it for this reason; the response seems to be that you either love it or hate it. 2.5 hours seems like a big commitment for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I probably ought to spring for Shudder one of these days.
They don’t have a lot of monster movies, much to my dismay (maybe there’s just less out there than I realize).