Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
Gideon's Army is definitely worth your time if you haven't seen it yet, and along the same lines Into The Abyss, Werner Herzog's look at the use of the death penalty in the USA, is also worth seeing.

The Act of Killing, though, is maybe the best documentary film I've seen on Netflix. Incredibly difficult to watch, in parts, but a very creative way to tell a very horrible tale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
Honeymoon is a recent addition, according to instant watcher. It's about a young couple on honeymoon at her childhood summer cottage. Things don't go exactly to plan, as she starts sleepwalking in the woods for some reason.

Not amazing but creepy enough to warrant a watch, I think.

Edit: the girl is apparently in game of thrones and she's a very pretty lady.

stickyfngrdboy fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Feb 17, 2015

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
I liked Blair Witch, but hated Blair Witch 2. Give it a go and find out for yourself, is my advice.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
Crank is definitely insane. Awesome, too, I think. Being a big fan of Statham might help.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
new robocop is a different film than old robocop yet still just as enjoyable, for me.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
True crime fans might like the Death Row Stories TV show which I just found on Netflix. Ive only watched the first episode, of eight available. The first episode is about a black fella convicted of the murder of an old white lady and sentenced to death, except it's pretty obvious he had nothing to do with it and htf did this even get to a court to begin with, holy poo poo.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
The Elephant Man is the best of those three films and you should watch that one.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Going to recommend Southcliffe . It's about a spree shooting in a small English town (this isn't a spoiler), though most of the focus is on the aftermath and how people come to terms with everything that happens. It's got a great cast and the entire thing wraps up in 4 episodes, so definitely give the first episode a shot and see if it hooks you.

Last time I looked I had the top rated comment on Netflix for this, and I only wrote it because every single review before mine was negative, and I didn't like that. Is a very good thing to watch.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
looks like Three Days of the Condor was recently added. It's a good conspiracy thriller, overhyped by some and overly criticised by others. It's worth a watch if you've not seen it and you like Robert Redford when he was gorgeous.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

wyoming posted:

Yeah, I couldn't make it through more than two episodes because of this.

the awkwardness is why it's so funny, for me. I love that show.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

LloydDobler posted:

I'm in the criticism camp, I don't think it aged well. It's a thriller where almost nothing happens.

Yeah not a lot goes on but I think it's worth it for Redford's performance. I watched it for the first time in years last night and modern thrillers really have advanced the genre.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Apparently The X Files is getting removed from Netflix on April 1st, and I'm not done with the fourth season yet :(

I'd never seen any of this show until recently, and it turns out it's absolute garbage. I honestly don't understand how it became so popular.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
Not sure how you get all that from it, it's very badly acted, badly shot, and really (really) badly written.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Sarchasm posted:

The quality of X-Files varies from episode to episode and really varies from season to season. I won't argue that there are some clunkers, but there are also some really great episodes in the mix. I wouldn't write off the entire series based on (what sounds like) your bad experience with season one.

Fair enough, I just found it to be very bad so won't bother watching any more. I certainly didn't think there was any depth to it at all.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

mr.capps posted:

Watch Clyde Bruckman's Final Repose or Jose Chung's From Outer Space.

Really about any episode from season 3.

Okay

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
was just browsing instantwatcher to find something to watch, preferably horror, and one of the top things is ABCs of Death 2 - I had a feeling that that film, or the original, were discussed itt a while ago and i couldn't remember whether people liked it or not. Rather than search this thread I just googled the film title, and it seems like reviews are, fair to middling, IMDB doesn't like it but the guardian didn't mind it.

this story however, about a substitute teacher who literally got sent to jail for screening the original film for students is hilarious, and guaranteed i was going to watch the sequel.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
Okay you've all convinced me, Im going to continue watching x files in order (now that there's no rush) and see the good bits.

I started watching ABC'S of Death 2 last night and it made x files look like the best thing I've ever seen, so maybe I was being harsh to begin with. (The acting is definitely awful though, sorry.)

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Junkie Disease posted:

The shittalking largely contained to one poster about xfiles. Its a good show it has its issues but it had a niche that wasn't contested for a long time. Also it had a great freaks episode.

I wasn't poo poo talking I was giving an honest opinion. I should try and remember that sci fi fans are a very defensive breed.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Sarchasm posted:

Only one person said you were poo poo-talking, the vast majority of people who talked about The X-Files approached you with a lot of candor and helpful advice about the relative pros and cons of the show.

Which I already thanked everyone for, because it was genuinely appreciated.

I'm sure nobody will mind if everyone talks about other things for a bit though.

Edit: hang on, that seemed like quite a defensive reply to my allegation that sci fi fans are defensive. Hmmm.

stickyfngrdboy fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Mar 9, 2015

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
The Raid is one of the best all out action films I've ever seen. Dredd is one of the best sci fi action films I've ever seen. I love both films for different reasons.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
I like how Netflix recommends stuff to me and when i hover over the title it tells me that I'll probably I'll give it a one star rating. Maybe one and a half.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Chichevache posted:

I'm not interested in a documentary for tonight, but this sounds good and I will check it out in the future. Thanks.

I should add: if no one can think of a good Irish film, I will also happily watch anything that involves Brits in horrible suffering. Please nothing WW2 related because I don't feel like suffering horribly through Brittany.

If you've got a VPN, Netflix UK has The Wee Man, about a Glasgow crime syndicate. It's not the greatest thing you'll ever see but it fulfills some of your criteria, at least.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
I only watched Noah because they filmed some of it in Iceland, and I love Iceland. The film is quite bad, the scenery is great.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

marktheando posted:

Last I heard about Noah Arononofsky and the studio were fighting over how much insane crazy poo poo to include in the film. Who won?

Whoever wanted the most crazy poo poo must have won, because nobody could have wanted more than there already is

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Chichevache posted:

You're on crack if you don't think the logical conclusion of the film was that Noah should kill his family and end human existence.

Noah's biggest problem is that it is called "Noah". If Aronofsky had changed all the names and pretended the story was a response instead of a retelling, then I bet it would cut down on the amount of people upset because they didn't get it or didn't try to.

I dont think this is true. It's not a very good film, and that isn't because it's about Noah. It's still worth a watch, I'd say, but it isn't one most people will love.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Gilok posted:

Storywise, Noah is just kind of Ok. The things that make it good are the visuals, and Russell Crowe and really the entire cast constantly devouring the scenery. Really what got me is how bleak and beautiful the landscapes are. If this movie were a painting, I would hang it on my wall.

I saw the places they used in Iceland and they were breathtaking to see, but they transfer to a screen really really well. It's worth watching just for those.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Chichevache posted:

Then what is not very good about it? Because all the complaints I have heard tend to boil down to "it was not what I expected/wanted and therefore it is bad".

I'm not arguing it was a great film, by the way. I had already forgotten it even existed until this thread brought it up.

I just didn't enjoy it very much. I liked the scenery and the score, I thought it had some nice ideas, and some bad ones (the rock people for one), I thought crowe was bad but Jennifer connelly was good. Like I said I think everyone should watch it at least once but I can't see many people loving it.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Doctor Butts posted:

Here's something you shouldn't watch, unless you're into the whole Ancient Aliens schtick:
America Unearthed.

I could only make it to halfway in the second episode before I just couldn't take all the made up bullshit.

Basically, the first episode was a bunch of made up bullshit and supposition without any evidence to support it and I was like 'eh, whatever'. The premise was that the Mayans emigrated to northern loving Georgia. He based it on the fact that there are earth mounds in Georgia. Also, there was art found in the area that resembled Maya. Also, there were stones carved with circles on them, just like the Mayans used to do! Also, the mounds may have been used to track stars or seasons!

Second episode took that sort of horseshit and went completely off the loving rails. Dude finds a stone with rune-like carvings in it and the loving dipshit thinks that people from Great Britain emigrated in the middle of an Arizonan loving desert in the twelfth loving century.

His evidence? Some dude named Mike, esteemed person whom we have no credentials of- but he's an expert on runes!

Im definitely going to watch this asap

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
There's a film on Netflix currently called Charlie Victor Romeo. It takes transcripts of black box audio and has a cast act out those transcripts almost verbatim while sat in a mock cockpit. It's from an apparently successful play of the same name, and I couldn't stop watching it. I don't know whether to recommend it or not because the source material is real and it's so well done it might be upsetting for some people.

after each segment, a title card appears, with the information about the accident we just witnessed. This includes the reason the plane crashed (BIRD STRIKE, for example), and the number of survivors. Some of the segments are very short, because disaster strikes quickly, but a couple of them seem to take ages to go from normal to OH gently caress and the parts in between are incredibly hard to watch but even more difficult to look away from.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
V/H/S VIRAL isn't anywhere near as good as the first two, and even if you loved both previous titles I doubt very much if you'll enjoy the third in the series.

It's not scary, it's not inventive, it's not funny, the editing is annoying, the characters are annoying, and when it isn't being annoying (rare moments) it's just plain boring.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

oooooooh poo poo, it's that guy too!

He's called Dylan Moran and he's a very well known comedian.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

GonSmithe posted:

Let's Be Cops is pretty vile.

Explain this

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
The babadook is one of the most original, inventive horror flicks thats been released in recent times, and if you like horror (or just films) and dislike that film you're a moron.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
Assume ive never read a daredevil book or comic (or seen the cartoon or whatever it was originally), will this make me enjoy the Netflix show more, less, or will it make no difference?

I liked some of the batman films but all other comic book films were bad, for me.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Otto von Ruthless posted:

It's more like the Nolan Batman films than any other comic book movie I guess, and I think it's perfectly enjoyable without any comic book knowledge.

You'd be able to tell if you'd like it or not with just one or two episodes.

Cool. It's hard to judge whether something might be good after reading opinions on sa, especially if people are invested in the original material, because that always sways opinion one way or the other.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
My wife says I have no choice, i have to watch it, because the main guy is fit. That means handsome.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Chichevache posted:

Watch Spartacus instead, and in the words of the show, see her oval office moisten with thought of real men.

We've watched every episode already!

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

MacGowans Teeth posted:

Really? Because I think he looks like a complete dork, although it works pretty well for the character, and it fits in with the little bit I knew about Matt Murdock going in. I think it's the receding hairline plus the stubble and choice of glasses that makes it.

I should point out that she hasn't seen the guy as daredevil, she googled and found the actor who plays him.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Did you guys watch Boardwalk Empire? He was specifically cast as the housewife's delight on that show.

She didn't even realise it was the same guy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Brocktoon posted:

What the hell is "Scrotal Recall" and why did Netflix just email me to suggest it?

It's a British comedy about a man who has to get in touch with previous sexual partners to tell them he's got a sex disease. Channel four made it I think. I didn't watch it. Obviously.