Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

magnificent7 posted:

THE PRODUCERS is on there.

Mel Brooks and Gene Wilder before Blazing Saddles and Young Frankenstein.

Robin Hood: Men in Tights is also on there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rt3gcSyL5vg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Samfucius posted:

I don't think it has been posted in this thread yet, so if you all haven't been watching the 30 for 30's on Netflix, get on it. You absolutely do not have to be a sports person, almost all of them are really fascinating stories in their own right that just so happen to involve sports. I care about Oregon Duck football and pretty much nothing else in all of sports, and I have loved every one I have watched.

If you get overwhelmed by the number of options, I highly recommend The U, June 17 1994, Survive and Advance, and The Two Escobars. Seriously though, I have yet to see a bad one and some have made me tear up.

Playing for the Mob is pretty great too, it feels exactly like it could be a deleted scene from Goodfellas (with good reason too).

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Wiggles Von Huggins posted:

Robocop 2014 was good. Gary Oldman and Michael Keaton were great.

Yep, just finished watching it. It's definitely a different beast than the original but it's also focused on issues that matter a lot more in the contemporary age (or at least that people care about, i.e. drones).

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Zombies' Downfall posted:

I didn't think it was great, but it was better than I expected. It was still kind of bloodless and charmless, and I didn't understand why Robocop had to look like a 7 foot tall armor robot who could never live a normal life instead of a cyborg with fake skin who could put on equally effective body armor or have it installed under his skin, other than "because it makes the movie work better and is how Robocop is supposed to look". It seemed strange enough that it pulled me out of the movie a little, probably because it was obviously trying to be more grounded and less campy than the original.

It was pretty clearly established that synthetic skin didn't exist.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

The_Rob posted:

That fight with the ed 209's was awful too. Just a lot of wasted potential.

Not every building can have stairs.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

flatluigi posted:

There's a bunch of stuff expiring in March off of Netflix, what's must-see before it goes? http://wgntv.com/2015/02/24/whats-new-on-netflix-in-march/

Assume I've seen none of it.

Muppet Treasure Island is one of the better Muppet films (and the 1979 Muppet Movie of course).

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Simplex posted:

The old RoboCop has a clear message and themes and the story is very focused throughout. On the other hand, new RoboCop is kind of all over the place, and Samuel L. Jackson's character is way too on the nose and doesn't really serve any other purpose than to refocus the narrative every time it starts to meander.

The new RoboCop is a movie that you really want to like, but it just isn't put together well. It's like the story is this organic thing that wants to into interesting directions, but every time it does someone reigns it back in and says, "no, RoboCop isn't like this." In a void it could easily be a cult classic type of movie, it's heavily flawed, but likeable. However, since it's a remake of a movie that already nailed the concept it's ultimately going to be a really forgettable movie. You might as well just spend your time watching or rewatching the 1987 RoboCop.

Nope, the remake has a very clear message it's just not "Robocop is the savior of the city", it's "Robocop is the tool we need to make lots of money".

Or to be more specific: Robocop the original is "we can use Robocop as our replacement police force" whereas the remake is "we can use Robocop to justify replacing the police force".

computer parts fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Feb 26, 2015

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

The_Rob posted:

That is not the message at all.

That's definitely the message of the remake.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Simplex posted:

I would argue that's not the message of either movies really. 1987 RoboCop is almost explicitly a movie about the death of American factory jobs. 2014 RoboCop at first is a movie about how a militarized drone police force doesn't value human life. Then it's about corporate and national politics, where RoboCop is somewhat of a secondary character, then it kind of dabbles into the nature of humanity itself before it finally settles on just being kind of a run of the mill superhero origins story.

Corporate and national politics are vitally entwined with a militarized drone police force.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

stickyfngrdboy posted:

I'd never seen any of this show until recently, and it turns out it's absolute garbage. I honestly don't understand how it became so popular.

I think a lot of it is "this hasn't been done before". It's like how John Carter was criticized for having a scene similar to Attack of the Clones when the latter in all certainty got that scene from the John Carter novels.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Alterian posted:

I really wish some documentary about the history of games would at least mention PC/Mac games of the era.

If only so they could mention that adventure games were so hard specifically so the companies could run tiplines that charged you per minute.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

NESguerilla posted:

Isn't a Girl who Walks home alone at night supposed to be up today?

Is that streaming? They had a screening at my campus but I missed it.

e: I'm finding that it's April 21.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
It is on my "to watch whenever I have 100 minutes of free time" list but A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night is now up too.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
The closest thing to Daredevil I've seen was Season 1 of Arrow, so see one if you liked the other.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
I finally got around to watching Noah and it was pretty good as a whole but the third act (after the creation story while they're still on the Ark) just kind of drags. Overall it's a very religious film and captures that theme I know about Man trying to interpret and do God's work.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

axleblaze posted:

War Horse is good.

It's definitely not by the numbers, anyway.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

That Works posted:

How did ya'll feel about War Horse? I still haven't gotten around to seeing it but have meant to.

The main character being a horse aside, there's a really weird motif where you don't ever see any on-screen violence, at least for a little while.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

stickyfngrdboy posted:

I sent people into mild craze by disliking x files, and now there's loads of people saying et and close encounters were bad, you lot are insane. Insane!

X-Files is really really dated. Like that body swapping 2-parter that people say is standalone is just incredibly cringeworthy.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Fruitvale Station is now on Netflix if you want to watch Michael B Jordan in an amazing and tragic role.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Magnus Gallant posted:

Why, in your opinion, was true detective horrible?

They obviously lied about Cthulu.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

I watched Noah last night for some reason and what the gently caress is this movie. Noah telling the story of creation is the only part I found redeeming. Well, I guess I enjoyed mocking it but that only goes so far when I'm the only one watching, haha.

It's pretty good, it just drags near the end.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I was wondering whatever happened to that.

They actually finished way early because they did an episode every day or something like that.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

cat doter posted:

Does it look like a hispanic soap opera too? That would be too loving great.
S4 BB spoilers:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgBLXOvo6b8

Somebody fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Jun 3, 2015

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

cat doter posted:

Sometimes we ask writers to reel stuff in, not because it's too crazy or unbelievable, but because reality can be uncomfortable.

The response to Silicon Valley demonstrates this in spades.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

That Works posted:

You can spot real scientists. They are generally fairly well adjusted people who have some social skill yet choose not to exercise it because they are either A: behind on several deadlines at once or B: have developed a finely tuned misanthropy cultivated over a period of years due to interaction with academic or private management, funding agencies and/or undergraduate students.

Probably one reason that I didn't much care for the show is that I was raised by real scientists so I know how the real process works. :v:

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
A Series of Unfortunate Events is coming to Netflix!

http://deadline.com/2014/11/a-series-of-unfortunate-events-tv-show-lemony-snicket-netflix-1201274454/

quote:

After bursting onto the original series scene with premium cable-caliber adult fare such as House of Cards and Orange Is The New Black, Netflix is entering a new area: live-action family entertainment. On the heels of picking up AwesomenessTV’s live-action comedy Richie Rich, the streaming company has acquired rights to the best-selling series of books A Series Of Unfortunate Events by Lemony Snicket, with plans to adapt them as a live-action series.

Search is underway for a director to help re-create Snicket’s visual world on TV. Netflix is producing the project, which is being fast-tracked, with Paramount Television. Paramount was behind the 2004 movie starring Jim Carrey, which grossed $209 million worldwide.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Hugo is also on Netflix if you want a combination kids movie and Melies film.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Wow, even 100 years ago films ended with a dance party.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
I don't really bother with a list because it's a lot of hassle to look at stuff, add it, then remove it later and most of what I watch are (long running) TV shows so I'm usually content for days/weeks.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

girth brooks part 2 posted:

This was the big problem I remember having with the first one and why I had zero interest in the others. Anytime there was a transformer on screen, especially if there was any kind of movement going on, it may as well have been static with "Giant Robot" written across the middle of the screen.

They toned down a bunch of the animations for the later series (partially because it was literally causing their rendering machines to melt).

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
I actually just got around to seeing Transformers 4 last night and I think overall it was fine but there's a point at about the 100 minute mark (when they rescue Optimus) that you could've just stopped the movie and said "Everything else is good for a sequel".

Also that last fight was very long and didn't do much.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Hat Thoughts posted:

I read Enders Game as a kid and hated it but thought maybe I just didn't get it since other people liked it so much
Reread it a few years later and had the exact same reaction
Reread it a third time after that and decided that the book is just bad

I read the first chapter or two when he's getting bullied and I did not have any interest at all. I'm sorta glad I didn't revisit it.

(Instead I read The Tripods!)

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

flatluigi posted:

update: fringe is a very poor choice of show to watch when you like to watch stuff while eating

You should check out Bones next.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Chichevache posted:

Orange is the New Black would be a great show if they killed Piper and Alex.

We're sorta halfway there!

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Brocktoon posted:

The wife and I have our niece and nephew (7 and 9) coming over for a sleepover tomorrow night, and we're looking for something nostalgic to stream. The last couple times they were over we watched The Dark Crystal and Labyrinth. Everythign we've though of so far (Princess Bride, Back To The Future, Jurassic Park...) isn't available on Amazon or Netflix (for free, at least). Any good suggestions?

Terminator 2 unfortunately just left Netflix but T1 is there! There's also Who Framed Roger Rabbit and The Fifth Element.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Party Boat posted:

I remember James and the Giant Peach having some loving intense sequences from seeing it in the cinema as a little kid.

Yeah, the rhino and the Jack Skellington pirate were pretty weird.

Oh also the Goosebumps TV show is up there and it's more cheesy than scary.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

precision posted:

The Last Unicorn is a way more hosed up thing to show kids than Alien.

Maybe if you don't like tree boobs.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

I have heard of people watching Full Metal Jacket and signing up for the marines because of it.

Everyone I know that's enjoyed Full Metal Jacket also turns it off at around the halfway mark .

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Chichevache posted:

I like to think that Goons are above that, but then I realize that FYAD is the only part of this forum with the self-awareness to be truly self-loathing.:smith:

TobleroneTriangular already disproved that a while back anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Chichevache posted:

What is this referring to?

A guy that did a gigantic troll for years and then eventually did a giant effort post on how he did it.

That Works posted:

If you want to make an effective antiwar film then you at least have to kill off all of your main characters throughout the story to have any hope of bringing the point home these days.

Having one of them end up homeless would probably work too.