Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

Fishstick posted:

You're thinking about Rescue Me

The show was called The Job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

Franchescanado posted:

Any you recommend?

Yay, my favorite subject! Strap in, folks...

Unless there are some more hiding, Netflix only has the following

Godzilla, King of the Monsters
Godzilla Raids Again
Godzilla vs. Mothra
Godzilla vs. Monster Zero
Godzilla's Revenge
Rodan

All of these but Raids Again are directed by Ishiro Honda, whose work pretty much defined the character from the 50s-70s, and they're all required viewing for the genre. The exception is Godzilla's Revenge, and even then, when I watched the original Japanese cut recently, it turned out to be a fairly decent depiction of the rising issue of latchkey children during Japan's economic boom. It just falls flat as a kaiju film, and the American version on Netflix butchers most of what makes it works and turns it into a lovely kids film, so go ahead and skip that one (most of the kaiju scenes are footage from earlier films, and the only new kaiju scenes aren't very interesting).

As far as the non-Honda film, Raids Again, it's another one that got heavily mangled on localization, but is still watchable, and has the first kaiju battle in cinema. Rodan is the only non-Godzilla film that I know is available, and is truly one of the best kaiju films of the era, in terms of storytelling and tone.

Amazon Prime has all of those, plus

Gojira (original Japanese cut of King of the Monsters)
Ghidorah, the Three Headed Monster
Terror of Mechagodzilla

The latter two are also Honda films, Ghidorah takes place between vs. Mothra and vs. Monster Zero (and there is some minor continuity between them, although none of it necessary). Terror of Mechagodzilla is the last Godzilla film of that era, and although it is a direct sequel to Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla, it is not required to watch the first film, and the film provides a quick recap during the opening credits.

Gojira is superior in every way to Americanized version, so if you have Amazon Prime, watch this film first, and skip King of the Monsters unless you really want to watch Raymond Burr standing around being Raymond Burr every few minutes.

Hulu has everything on Netflix, plus

Ebirah, Horror of the Deep
Godzilla vs. Gigan
Godzilla vs. Megalon
Godzilla vs. Hedorah

The first three are by Jun Fukuda, who was Toho's go-to guy for directing Godzilla films when they couldn't get Honda. His films are undoubtedly inferior, but some still decent and have their own charm, especially with their shift in tone from pulp sci-fi to 'pulp action and adventure with sci-fi elements'. Ebirah is pretty dull unless you're a hardcore fan, but vs. Gigan is more interesting, although is screams 'early 70's Japan'. Then vs Megalon goes back to being dull again (Godzilla is barely a cameo in this one; the film was original meant to launch a franchise about the robot character that gets triple the screen time).

Godzilla vs Hedorah is by Yoshimitsu Banno, who after directing this film was banned by Toho from directing another Godzilla film (although he somehow managed to snag a co-producer credit on Godzilla (2014). Yeah, it's kinda bad, but should still be seen for how trippy and batshit insane it all is.

Summary recommendations:
Watch everything on Netflix and Prime except for Godzilla's Revenge. I recommend watching in chronological order, that way if you find yourself losing interest, you can safely stop because you're not going to be missing any later gems that suddenly increase in quality. If you get through them all and you want more, but don't mind a sudden drop in quality (but a sharp rise in bizarreness), watch the three Fukuda films exclusive to Hulu. Watch Godzilla vs. Hedorah just to bask in its psychedelic glory. Watch Godzilla's Revenge only out of morbid curiosity.

Edit:

Amazon Prime also has Varan the Unbelievable, another very early Toho kaiju film. But it's boring and lame and doesn't really need to be watched for any reason.

Paper Kaiju fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Feb 23, 2015

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

Jack Gladney posted:

What's the one with Jet Jaguar? Is like to see that one again.

Godzilla vs. Megalon.

If you can find a copy, watch the MST3K version.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth
The problem with the meta-plot episodes is that they were nothing but build-up after build-up, and never any pay-off/resolution. I believe that The X-Files' two major cultural contributions are as a marker of that era's zeitgeist, and as a collection of monster/mystery-of-the-week episodes that range from 'meh' to 'amazing', skewing toward 'pretty good'.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

NESguerilla posted:

Yeah totally. The lack of payoff ruined it. Mysteries that don't get resolved in a reasonable time just start to irritate and bore the poo poo out of me very quickly. Same reason I thought Lost was garbage and quit watching it in the second season.

Interesting that Vince Gilligan went on to make Breaking Bad which IMO has a perfect balance of "whats going to happen next!?" and satisfying resolve.

Probably because Breaking Bad had no overarching mystery to it, which means it never had to constantly perform the balancing act of moving the plot along while also keeping the audience in the dark about what the hell is going on.

Closest thing to a mystery it had was the cold openings in Season 2, which didn't interfere with the plot at all because it was all foreshadowing (and was thoroughly resolved at the very end of the season).

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

fliptophead posted:

Is I, Claudius streaming anywhere? Would love to finally watch it! The books are fantastic reading.

It's up on Hulu (Plus, probably); I just watched it for the first time a couple of months ago, and it completely lives up its status.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

precision posted:

:agreed:

Even when it came out as a kid I hated ET. I haven't watched it in decades probably, but I don't remember liking it ever. Close Encounters I've seen recently and it just falls totally flat for me. WotW though is quite underrated.

I feel the exact opposite in every regard: loved ET as a kid, rewatched Close Encounter recently and still think it's great, but War of the Worlds did nothing for me (I'm a big fan of the 50's version, though).

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

Asnorban posted:

I'll show Die Hard AND Spirited Away to my daughter, screw you guys.

Father of the Year

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth
The Rocketeer is probably the film that I most lament never getting made into a franchise. Disney was apparently banking on it being their Indiana Jones until the box office results came in.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

Basebf555 posted:

And if you're on the fence, it has Ian Mcshane in a really fun role too.

Sold.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

space-man posted:

Read this and was like weird, I wonder if he's saying that theres an actor in Starship Troopers that is related to Gary Busey.
Hmmm, I wonder who that could possibly be...

Then in my head they smiled.

I honestly never knew they were related and now I can't figure out how I never saw the link.

I had a similar experience watching the Rifftrax Live for Starship Troopers. Before the movie even started, they mention the fact that Gary Busey's son was in the film. I hadn't seen the film in over a decade as a teenager, so all I could remember were the special effects and tit shots. So I thinking he's probably a minor character or something, like Neil Patrick Harris', and wonder if they'll point him out when he appears or if I'll be able to spot him myself.

Boot Camp scene begins, and the moment Jake Busey's face is on screen I'm like "Whoa! Those are some powerful genetics at work, there."

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

morestuff posted:

Leaving 9/29/15

“Coriolanus”

This should have been bolded. Anyone who can follow unabridged Shakespearean dialogue and wants to see Ralph Finnes in a tragic rivalry/bromance with Gerard Butler needs to check this one out before it leaves.

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Masters of the Universe (1987)

Uh why is this not bolded? Dolph Lundgren as HeMan. What is not to like?

Honestly, Lundgren's performance was probably among the weakest in the film, but that's really a point in its favor. What makes MotU a great campy film is how much the actors sincerely gave it their all (especially Frank Langella wonderfully hamming as Skeletor).

That actually goes for pretty much everything about that film: costumes, set design, effects, even the Not-John-Williams score. Even though the final product was, as a whole, farily mediocre, you really see all of the hard work that went into it, and enjoy it for that.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

Lester Shy posted:

I'm getting Game of Thrones through the mail, but I need something to hold me over because I binge through the discs as soon as I get them. Are there any good "historical" political intrigue-y series on US Netflix? I checked out Spartacus, but it looked way too schlocky for me. Are either of the two series about the Borgias worth watching?

Borgia is fairly schlocky, although not to the extent of Spartacus. The Borgias, I feel, was much better done, but I'll admit that my love of Jeremy Irons clouds my judgement. That series never gets concluded, however.

You could also try the first two seasons of The Tudors. I specify the first two seasons because 3 and 4 go a bit downhill, mainly because the story of Henry VIII's first two wives is far more interesting than the story of wives 3-6.

And I know it didn't get a lot of praise around here, but I'm part of the minority that actually liked Marco Polo.

Edit: Seconding Peaky Blinders

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Shout FactoryTV is streaming Gamera movies Starting October 17th.

http://www.shoutfactorytv.com/

This is definitely awesome for people like me, but everyone else should at least try and check out when they start playing the 90's Gamera trilogy, which are legit good films, and one of the few examples of a trilogy that gets better with each successive entry.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth
I liked TTSS, but I'll admit I had little clue what was going on until the quick recap at the end (since I've never read the book). I found the performances engaging, though.

Today I watched Under The Skin and The Visitor, both up on Amazon Prime. I had high hopes for Under The Skin based on the attention it got when it came out, and the earlier bits when she's out 'hunting' where nice (apparently most of the dialogue there was improv), but it felt like it ground to a halt halfway through. One of my complaints is that it feels like a 22 min. episode of The Twilight Zone that's been stretched out to nearly 2 hours, without adding any additional story. Another complaint is that Scarlet Johansson has to carry nearly the entire film on her own, but her only lines are the bits I mentioned earlier. Which wouldn't be a problem in and of itself; other actors are done it before successfully. But in this case the fact that she's playing an alien masquerading as human with actually feeling most human emotions, means that she never emotes. And without lines or emoting, I never felt like I was watching her act for most of the film, just very extended scenes of her standing, sitting, or walking in various locations. Great cinematography, though, so it was nice to look at.

The Visitor was an eighties sci-fi/fantasy/horror (I'm honestly not sure what it was supposed to be) film, that finally managed to answer the question that had been nagging me for years: 'What if The Omen were remade by a Scientologist, with a dash of self-aware pedophilia and a comically inappropriate funk score?"

Then, in the last 15 minutes, it got weird. Weird enough the even Lance loving Henriksen looked like he was struggling to maintain his dignity.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

RoughDraft2.0 posted:

Haven't had a chance to watch it yet, but I feel extremely comfortable recommending Electric Boogaloo: The Wild, Untold Story of Cannon Films, which went up over the weekend. Got positive notices, and it would be more or less impossible to make a boring documentary on the studio that brought us Masters of the Universe, Breakin', and Superman IV, along with the last 10 years of Charles Bronson's career.

I have watched it, and I'll second that recommendation.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

Iskander is legit one of the greatest characters to come out of anime.

For those who haven't seen it, Iskander is Alexander the Great brought into modern times, and he is portrayed as the most awesome bro in history.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth
I just watched it tonight. I enjoyed it.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Is Black Sails on any streaming platform? It doesn't seem to be on Netflix, Prime or Hulu.

It's on the Starz upgrade for Prime Video.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

magnificent7 posted:

I just watched I Am Thor and it was everything Spinal Tap wanted to be, and so much more. It was a great documentary about a b-movie-level rocker trying to stick to his guns an do it his way. He's the butt of some jokes, but he clearly does not care, he loves doing what he's doing.

If you liked Spinal Tap for the jokes as well as the sheer determination of the pretend rockers, then you'll probably like I Am Thor.

When I read this post my first thought was 'this can't be a documentary on Jon Mikl Thor, can it?.' Then I pulled up the Netflix entry and was like 'holy poo poo, that actually made a documentary on Jon Mikl Thor!'

Please tell me it goes into his Rock and Roll Nightmare films, because the first one was my initial exposure to him, and that was a film too glorious for this world.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

du -hast posted:

I am wondering what I should watch on Netflix, Amazon, or streaming elsewhere - great SciFi

Stuff like the Martian, Gravity, etc. I guess you would call it hard SciFi

I also like: Alien, Aliens,, etc.

If anyone can recommend me something I would be really grateful. Thanks.

Moon, on the off chance you have the Starz upgrade for Amazon Prime.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I've always a felt Once Upon a Time in the West was kinda overrated. It's no The Good, The Bad and The Ugly.

While I do agree with this, OUTWest is still worth it for the opening scene alone.

Edit: I'm also with you on Patton

Hubbardologist posted:

Also, A Field in England is available on Prime. It's real good. If you like black and white psychedelic flicks set during the English Civil War. And Michael Smiley.

I couldn't stand A Field in England; I ended up not even finishing it, so I guess I don't like those types of flicks.

Paper Kaiju fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Dec 13, 2016

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I remember really liking In The Army Now as a kid.

Me too, but I remember like a LOT of terrible movies as a kid.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth
I have this thread and the MST3K thread bookmarked, and I've been having the hardest time keeping track of which thread I'm in.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

BrainDance posted:

Holy poo poo is this streaming anywhere? I totally watched that movie on repeat daily when I was a really little kid.

Actually, probably best if I just leave it as a memory. Last time something from my childhood popped up years and years later on the Internet I had to come face to face with the fact that Mac and Me was an actually bad movie that had been brainwashing me the entire time.

I also loved Baby when I was little, then didn't see it again for about 30 years. Earlier this year, I found a bluray copy at a used book store, so I grabbed it for a dose of nostalgia. I feel that it actually holds up pretty well; the effects are dated, of course, but still serviceable, the story works, and the acting is pretty good. The only thing that aged poorly was the casual jingoism, but that's to be expected.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth
To be contrarian, I loved Eastbound and Down, but I couldn't make it past the first episode of Vice Principals. Kenny Powers was such a hyperbolically self-centered person that it was hilarious, and everyone else was either a contrast, reflection, or straight man to him; so it was impossible to take seriously. The main characters of Vice Principals, however, are too plausibly terrible to me, so the show seems to delve much more heavily into cringe humor, which I don't enjoy.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Man, that post smells like a bunch of hosed buttholes.

I'm sorry for not liking a show?

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

Jolo posted:

I managed to watch From Dusk Till Dawn with my wife a while back without her having any idea where the story was headed. The point when things get crazy was fantastic to see in person. She laughed a bunch and shook her head and then turned to me and asked, "Seriously? What? Why?". I love that FDTD doesn't do anything to telegraph the craziness that unfolds. 10 Cloverfield Lane is in a similar situation, but I find myself wishing that either it would have had a title that didn't allude to Cloverfield at all or had just left off the end bit altogether. With a name like 10 Cloverfield Lane, it's nearly impossible to watch without expecting some kind of alien/monster reveal at the end. Even people who didn't see Cloverfield likely have a notion of what that movie was about from commercials and marketing around its release. I imagine the script for 10CL probably didn't start off with any connection to Cloverfield and the ending bit was tacked on to market to a broader audience. It's not really possible to know if the Cloverfield name got the movie more viewers than it would have had if it was just called "John Goodman or John Badman?" That said, I still enjoyed 10 Cloverfield Lane a lot exactly as it is.

This video posits an interesting theory about the Cloverfield title, which boils down to the intentional creation of the side effect you describe: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KBzYKXqEC4

Basically, imagine if the film had been released as 'The Cellar'. With no other indication of any sci-fi elements other that what Goodman's characters insists, it would be natural for the audience to assume what Winstead's character assumes in the beginning; that she's being held captive by a lunatic. But by giving the film a Cloverfield title, you know before the film even starts that you are going to be watching a sci-fi film. Which means the audience is more likely to assume that Goodman's character is actually telling the truth early on in the film, which his is. This pushes the reveal that, oh, he actually IS a lunatic to later in the film.

That doesn't mean that it worked for the best (personally, I thought it was pretty effective), but that seems to be what the producers intended.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

morestuff posted:

Some native advertising Japanese show about the power of the FF MMO to create Father-Son Bonds. It's apparently called Daddy of Light over there

I'm not sure what's weirder; the premise, or that no one on the localization team thought that maybe "Father of Light" sounded less stupid.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Father of Light probably sounded a little too... religious compared to "Dad of Light," which makes it more obvious that it's a show about the protagonist and his dad bonding over FF.

That's...actually a really good point.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

drunken officeparty posted:

I've been going through a bunch of HBO shows. Am I missing anything good?

I've seen a while ago:

Sopranos
The Wire
True Detective
Eastbound And Down
Band of Brothers
Half of The Pacific

And recently:
Deadwood
Rome
Westworld
Oz
Silicon Valley

I just finished Oz. If I can't find anything new I think I might just do Band of Brothers again.

From your list I'm assuming you're purposefully avoiding Game of Thrones, so instead I'm going to going to toss out a rec for Bored To Death.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

tweet my meat posted:

River is really good so far. It's about a cop who is hallucinating dead people including his partner, who was killed shortly before the start of the show.

When I read this, I thought "Is he referring to Raines, the detective show with Jeff Goldblum that ran for half a season in the mid 00s?" Then I looked it up, and nope, it's a completely different show with the exact same premise and an eerily (or not) reminiscent title/protagonist surname.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

Kyle Hyde posted:

I'm like halfway through the first episode of Jean-Claude Van Johnson and this poo poo is incredible. I dunno if it hits as hard for someone who isn't a fan of old JCVD movies, but goddamn. It's good to see JC again, and his sense of humor about himself just elevates it.

I've never watched old JCVD films, and it's still pretty funny. All that's really required is a basic knowledge of action movie tropes.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

Filthy Hans posted:

The scene with the argument about whether the Flag 5 had 5 members and a sidekick or 5 members and a mascot had me in stitches

For me, it was Lint escaping The Terror's capital T-shaped ship in an escaped pod shaped like a serif lowercase t.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth
I'm letting my Prime membership expire in a few days (due to Amazon treating it's warehouse workers like poo poo), so I decided to look through the movies in my backlog before then. I ended up watching I Am Dragon, a 2017 2015 Russian fantasy/romance, out of curiousity , and was genuinely surprised at how much I enjoyed it! I mean, at its core it's basically Russian Medieval Twilight (completely with casting a Russian Robert Pattinson doppleganger),but it tells an actual compelling love story, has a satisfyingly proactive heroine with a tortured love interest who has a genuine reason to be angsty, and is a gorgeous-looking film to boot.

Edit: Apparently the original title is On(or Oh) - Drakon, which translates to Is He/He Is A Dragon.

Paper Kaiju fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Jun 7, 2018

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

CelticPredator posted:

It’s really good and I don’t understand anyone’s issue with it at all. It’s like everything they hated is what I liked about it.

It’s so weird.

Same. As someone who got tired of Star Wars over a decade ago, The Last Jedi actually got me excited to see how this story unfolds.

Yes, the film has its flaws; the second act in particular should have gone through one more rewrite to tighten loose ends. But it was a solid film with some great moments, and it took risks in a way blockbuster films never do these days, which I feel deserves credit or a least a one watch if you're curious.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

Parachute posted:

the worst part of the last jedi was how boring and uninspired the casino looked imo

The entire casino planet sequence was the weakest part of the film, and was completely unnecessary to the story. It's the primary reason I stated earlier that the second act needed one or two more revisions; they could have cut out that entire element and just had the protagonist infiltrating the flagship from the start, expanding that sequence, and perhaps encountering Del Toro's character there.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

Basebf555 posted:

One thing that I remember confusing people at the time was the way Phelps guilt is revealed. It has him lying to Ethan, and the audience is shown the real version of events as Ethan realizes it, so we're in Ethan's head observing his thought process. But the movie never comes right out and gives you clear exposition on it until the very end, De Palma trusts the audience to understand what they're seeing.

I totally misunderstood that sequence the first time I saw it, but I was a high school freshman when I saw it in the theater, and I wasn't exactly film literate then.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

The MSJ posted:

Was the Jim Phelps twist in M:I1 a big controversy when the movie was released?

Not especially, but the internet was still not really a thing for most people outside of AOL at that time. I had one friend who was legit upset about it, so I would imagine if social media had existed beyond Usenet back then, it probably would have been made into a big deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

deoju posted:

The original Jurassic Park is on Netflix. I watched it for the first time since VHS tonight. Holy poo poo, it's drat near a perfect movie. There's hardly a shot or a line that doesn't push the story or the action forward. Some of the SFX don't look so hot anymore, but still I got goosebumps when you see the brontosaurus for the first time.

:eng101: Brachiosaurus

Edit: fb