Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Just finished Watching 3 Mics with Neil Brennan. Goddamn that was a good stand-up show, I highly recommend it. I could relate to his emotional points so I laughed my rear end off and was deeply impacted on his emotional points within minutes of each segment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Inspector Hound posted:

Other good stand up with heart that's not necessarily clean is anything with Mike Birbiglia and Bo Burnham's what.

I saw Bo Burnham's special (loving terrific), but I never looked at any of Mike Birbiglia's stuff. Thanks for the recommendation.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Thanks for the Mike Birbligia recommendation, I really liked his latest stand up Mike Birbiglia - Thank God for Jokes, and I plan on seeing his other earlier ones.

Probably late to the party on this one. I give a recommendation to Black Mirror. It's basically the Twilight Zone, but with technology decades out of our reach. The technology itself is believable because it's baby steps are based on what we have today, and the society that has adapted to it.

Only watched three episodes of season one, and I feel pretty uncomfortable.

Fargin Icehole fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Mar 15, 2017

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Neo Rasa posted:

Castlevania is very fun. It's, in a way, perfect in that it's basically a 90s "this is for adults so it has ultra-violence and cussin'!!!" anime mini-series, and in being that it perfectly captures these characters and locations that the most development in 90s (well 1989 for some :P ) anime games.

Something that really impresses me about this show is that it really nails the tone I always had in mind with the games because of that with these almost grimdark too macabre worlds offset by some pretty goofy characters and silliness.

I was also impressed with how the way the action scenes work and the way the characters move and their abilities and magic takes form, like it looks like Castlevania. It doesn't look like Vampire Hunter D or Genocyber or Underworld, it just looks like characters from a Castlevania game doing Castlevania stuff, that's really awesome. And I appreciate how that's even down to the way when some of the demons are seen spitting fireballs and it's like the exact way that creature does so in Symphony of the Night and some the architecture of the backgrounds.

I'm surprised how close the general progression of the story is to Castlevania III too, not that there was a lot of story at all in the NES game but they weren't kidding when they said it would follow how that game played out.

Most importantly it's a "season" but it's four twenty minute episodes, so it's more like a lean mini-series that doesn't waste any time, very much appreciated, it's fast and fun and occasionally looks really cool.

I'm a huge Castlevania fan and 3 is one of my favorites. All the little details in the series are there, the way Dracula travels, adding a personality to a belmont, seeing how poo poo the world is when power hungry assholes excommunicate and/or murder the talented because they don't understand. It's the first time in awhile I've seen a show of something i'm a fan of and go "gently caress yeah, this is good, I love how they did that, Oh poo poo, I know who that poor lady is."

I was also remembering stuff about 3 as i went along. In the game, a Cyclops was the boss guarding a petrified sypha, and yeah you can fight Alucard and have him join you. Especially liked the fighting and whip animations, It was too good and I already want more.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Warm und Fuzzy posted:

Netflix just got Policy Academy, and after about 10 minutes it clearly deserves all the hate it gets.

For a moment there I thought it was some sort of netflix documentary about congressmen or some poo poo, but nah, it's Police Academy.

Watched it when I was a kid, only stayed for bobcat's character and Tackleberry, but i never saw the last one.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Holy loving poo poo, I'm sold on the first episode of Ozark, Jason Bateman is excellent on this.

Shanty posted:

For a moment there I thought Bright was out already.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EZCBSsBxko

Bright to me feels like a prequel to Shadowrun.

Fargin Icehole fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jul 23, 2017

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Rough Lobster posted:

Anyone watch Ozark on Netflix? I'm only two episodes in and it's a lot darker than I was expecting. Still has funny bits, but does it ever lighten up (and is it worth finishing)?

I just finished season 1 of Westworld so I'm not looking for something entirely soul killing.

I'm on episode 10, and no, while it still has funny bits, they don't lighten up.

Ozark is a great show.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Wilhelm Scream posted:

I'll give Yoga Hosers this much, it's not nearly as bad as Cop Out was.

Is it Kevin Smith's best film to date?

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Timby posted:

None of the WHAS stuff is particularly good.

You kidding me? The original was great. The prequel overstayed it's welcome a bit, but i'm enjoying this new one.

tweet my meat posted:

I liked season one of GLOW alright with the heavy piss focus angle, but the leaked s2 script where the girls are all trapped on a train that eternally circumnavigates the frozen earth seems a little iffy.

pfffffffff

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
The thing with Ozark is, he is doing all the things that would put anyone under investigation at the very beginning, so he understandably has to draw the least amount of attention for the rest of the show.

One of the best parts of Ozarks for me is (Spoilers) Like it or not, the family is in the situation, and they go from realizing their life is completely gone, to be willing to do anything they can to live, while still trying to "live" some sort of normal life. The last episode where Wendy nods to Jonah to take the shot to me kinda cemented the family willing to do what's necessary to survive.

Fargin Icehole fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Aug 18, 2017

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Punkin Spunkin posted:

immediate snippy (keyest word) high dealbreakers...
your show opens with you strangling a dog to put it out of its suffering...talk about goofy and unsubtle. this isn't an anime, sir.
your show opens with you listing synonym/slang for money and then defining it...im good highschool essay

but now I have nothing to watch. I did really like The People v. O.J. Simpson
I've never seen Making a Murderer and pretty much blocked out the cultural osmosis of it so I guess I should maybe just finally watch that.

Check out The Keepers on Netflix.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Friends of mine recommended the anime a while back, but I never really did care for it.

Now that I watched the Death Note movie, I actually really enjoyed it, and it makes me want to see if the anime is good. I think the casting was great, and I was already frustrated that earlier trailers were downvoted all to hell just because anime fans were threatened by "my god, other entertainment forms have the balls to live action my ANIME?!"

I mean poo poo dude, it's not fuckin' Dragonball the movie.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

A MIRACLE posted:

I don't see how someone could think Death Note was't anime-ey enough, it's basically a cartoon

all the acting is over the top like anime characters and poo poo act too

I'd say his introduction to the death god was a pretty normal reaction

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Sammus posted:

He's a little bitch.

Fixed that for you.

I find it kinda weird that the subscription channel known for Making a Murderer and The Keepers greenlights a parody in the same documentary style so soon.

It's so unnecessarily well done.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Anybody got an opinion on "Whatever happened to monday"? Been thinkin' about watchin it.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Saw Blazing Transfer Students's first episode on netflix, and i gotta say, I wasn't expecting all of that.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I love UK KN. Just as dramatic but less histrionic. I think I've seen every episode like a half dozen times.

US Kitchen Nightmares is just downright insulting. I hate the music, the added sound effects, I hate the editing overall. I don't need a loving sound effect of a bird to tell ME there is a bird in the kitchen. It feels like the show thinks i'm a goddamn idiot just looking for a successful foreign businesman/cook call someone a oval office.

UK Kitchen Nightmares is so drat good.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Punisher series was really really good. I really enjoyed Punisher himself on Season 2 of daredevil, and the show kind of lost me when that was mostly resolved in episode 3-4.

If you read the comic books, Punisher's Debut in Daredevil season 2 (when he gave Daredevil the choice) was absolutely awesome, and the Punisher series also takes some liberties with both the regular comics and the Punisher MAX comics.

only bad part about this series is the ending credits remind me of the video game, Rebel Galaxy.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Just finished the pilot to Mindhunter and I am hooked. This is basically styled as the progenitor of all serial killer procedurals.

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

It's because it turned even MORE soap-opera-y a few seasons in. I mean, it already was, but it got BAD with lazy plots and even camera setup.

Fizzing into garbage is a fate worse than early cancellation. If Dexter had ended at season 4, or Weeds at season 3, or Hell on Wheels at S4, or True Blood a S4, they'd be remembered as great shows.

Downton Abbey turned to poo poo at S4 and then struggled on for two more seasons. Like the rest, it is remembered as merely slightly-better-than-mediocre versus consistently great.

I can only speak for Hell on Wheels, because they definitely scrambled to finish it on those last couple of episodes. Everything just had to be resolved right then and there, and it was odd seeing flashbacks into the future as intros.

Fargin Icehole fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Nov 26, 2017

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Blind Rasputin posted:

Guys I have a punisher shaped hole in my heart since just finishing the season. drat that was good. So good. I’m on ep 10 of Daredevil s2, which I only find ok. The acting isn’t nearly as on point. Some of the character’s actions seem dumb. I also find it very difficult to understand how nobody can figure out that Matt is Daredevil, he wears either a blindfold or red plastic over his eyes, has the same exact voice and accent, and has the same scruffy chin beard. Hell, there’s even a moment during Castle’s trial where he looks at Matt and clearly his face is saying “no poo poo, duh” just from hearing his voice.

Like, I imagine the conversation in NYC is all, “hey man I know you heard about the bulletproof black dude and the girl that can like fly, and that idiot with the fire fist, but you hear about the blind guy that’s good at kung fu?”

“Naaaaaaah man that’s not possible.”

I’ve basically been fast forwarding past all the ninja crap for punisher scenes.

How is the defenders?

What else are you guys watching right now?

Well, nobody in New York except other heroes knows that Daredevil is blind, only that he wears a cool suit.

To answer your question about Defenders, i'm sorry to say that it's easily forgettable. They managed to make Iron Fist not only the weakest as a series, but the weakest out of the entire group, and the trouble is, he is supposed to be the most important figure against the hand in the series. Jessica Jones and Luke Cage do a good job of lightening the mood by trying to make sense of the ninja stuff and Daredevil is conflicted about his identity because the script told him to and as a result, he's the second weakest character.

I felt that the later half of daredevil season 2 did a better job representing the threat of the hand than the defenders did, and that was supposed to be THE main threat

Fargin Icehole fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Nov 28, 2017

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

tweet my meat posted:

It's gonna be better than training day and end of watch combined and at the end they're going to reveal that it was actually part of the shadowrun universe the whole time. After the credits the CEO of Netflix will appear to inform you that they've already greenlit the sequel.

It's gonna be good guys.

I agree. This straight up looks like a Shadowrun prequel.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Mr. Maltose posted:

I really, really don't trust Max Landis to have anything worthwhile to say about racism, especially fantasy allegory racism.

I think that's just a backdrop used for marketting. This looks like End of watch but with orcs and elves to a tee. I really enjoyed End of Watch so, I'll watch it regardless.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
I just watched the first episode of Patriot (Prime Original) and holy poo poo, i'm hooked.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
I know that there are stories of people binging through entire shows on weekends but that never really happened to me. After watching the first episode of Patriot, i binged the entire thing that day, holy poo poo, I fuckin' love this show. It's like a really dark comedy spy thriller mixed in with parts Jackie Brown.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Dave Chappelle: Hot Takes. That sounds right. Gonna watch it here soon

That's kinda what some comedians do by the way, the whole pushing the envelope thing, so don't feel too bad whenever somebody does a trans joke or something. The worst thing that's been happening to comedians is them having to apologize for poo poo.

If it's loving funny and somebody didn't like it and recorded it on their phone without proper context, gently caress that person. Motherfucker pays money to see a comedian so that they can feel offended. What kind of life is that? It's not a goddamn debate room, it's a performance, shut the gently caress up

Fargin Icehole fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Jan 8, 2018

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Altered Carbon is good stuff. I'm a sucker for Neo- Noir Cyberpunk stuff and this is right up my alley

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
I really enjoyed Altered Carbon.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Patriot Season 2 when

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Rewatched Bo Burnham's Make Happy special again, and the ending song still hits really hard.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Was watching Wild Wild Country. Holy poo poo.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Are we getting a second season to Patriot? That was one of my favorite shows, and in all my years of having streaming services, that is the one i binge watched

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

veni veni veni posted:

Watched Stand Up Guys on Amazon, which is a Mob comedy starring Al Pacino and Christopher Walken and It's easily one of the worst things I've ever seen put to film. I was sort of in awe at how bad it was. Which I think is the only reason I didn't turn it off 15 minutes in.

That's the one where Bill Burr was one of the bad guys henchmen, isn't it?

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
You might as well watch Oliver Stone's documentary on the united states instead.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Miss Lonelyhearts posted:

I also watched Patriot on recommendation of this thread and ended up liking it. I didn't think I was going to after the first episode, switching between different times is lazy storytelling and nationalism is annoying and shallow, but I still liked it. Sometimes it's a little ... I dunno the right word - zany? but all in all, pretty enjoyable and charming. I really liked his co-worker friend/ally who turned into an amazing, well developed character.

Patriot is a comedy in the sense where almost everything that amounted to support completely and utterly failed him. The same way I enjoyed Venture Brothers because it was all about the johnny quest aesthetic, but it revolved around someone pretending to be a doctor, and is generally a failure.

The rock paper scissors scene later on was one of the best scenes I've seen in a while, it was extremely tense.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Nihonniboku posted:

Dark Tourist on Netflix is really good. It's by David Farrier, the guy from Tickled, the documentary about the dark underground world of male competitive endurance tickling.

Dark Tourist follows David as he goes to tourist destinations that are famous for death, like going on a guided tour lead by Pablo Escobar's lead assassin as he takes people to where he murdered his victims, and even demonstrates how it went down. Or follow David as he meets with a religious group of people in Cambodia who believe that people are merely resting when they die, and will periodically pull their corpses out of their tomb to visit with them, put them in new clothes, and take selfies with their dear grandmother who died 12 years ago.

David's New Zealand cheekiness is what really sells the show.

I kinda like it,I skipped straight to England, you can tell he made poo poo awkward and really pissed off some people in the reenactment thing in a battle between the Wermacht and U.S Forces, he kept on messing up and calling the guys nazis when asked politely to call them German and was baffled by the guys playing as the Germans were doing the catering for everybody. It's like going to a Civil War reenactment and asking people playing on the confederate side if they were cool with playing as the south.

He's smarter than this, he has to be, right? It's like he's looking for trouble.

I'm still going to watch it though.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
I havent watched Children of Men in almost a decade, i think i'm going to today

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Norm Macdonald has a show, is a show, and it's pretty good. Alot like his podcast but condensed and has some pretty good guests.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Erebus posted:

Black Dynamite just got added to Netflix and you should watch it

Also Netflix's decision to play unrelated stock music on every movie page is weird. How is a song that sounds like the character select screen for a Jet Moto game supposed to get me in the mood for Speed Racer.

Seconding Black Dynamite. It is a national treasure.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

veni veni veni posted:

Here’s a game you can play. It’s called “try to make it through the entire joe Rogan Netflix special. Good luck!

I liked it. Relax.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

A Proper Uppercut posted:

Really like the Adam Sandler special on Netflix. It's cool to actually see him look like he's enjoying himself, rather than walking dead eyed through a lovely comedy movie.

Edit: ah gently caress, that Chris Farley tribute got me

It came up a few pages ago, but yeah i was going to say exactly this. I grew up watching his stand up and singing/guitar bits and his early movies, and ended up hating whatever he made afterwards. This entire show is just going into what made him famous in the first place, and it was actually really good.

Near the end was a really touching Chris Farley Tribute, and it got me too.