Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.

Nihonniboku posted:

No, I'm with you. I'm a huge Star Wars fan, and I've been loving what Disney has been doing. I think the only mishap so far has been Solo, and not because it's a bad movie, but because it just wasn't necessary.

It was a lot of fun, but did we really need to know how he got his name? (it's about as dumb as you could think) Or did we need to know what C-3PO was talking about in Empire Strikes Back when he mentioned that the Millennium Falcon spoke with a peculiar dialect? No. It suffers from the problem that all prequels suffer from, is that we already know what ends up happening to these characters. There is no sense of danger for the main characters, and any side characters are ultimately unimportant because they're never mentioned in the sequels.

The nerd rage about The Last Jedi come down to 3 things really:

1) Nerd culture has become dominant, and in order to try and hold onto something that's just theirs, they are implementing nerd purity tests, and if something doesn't pass their incredibly specific purity test with flying colors, then it is actual garbage to them.

2) Sexism and racism. There is no question that there is a lot of sexism and racism out there on the internet, and it's no stranger to the nerd community. So when the Skywalker saga, which has always featured a white male as the lead, suddenly features a woman as the lead, and the majority of the second leads being people of color, racism and sexism reared its ugly head. So we now have very loud voices in the fan community denouncing Disney for using Star Wars to push a liberal agenda.

3) Specifically with The Last Jedi, they just didn't get the movie. Most of the criticisms I've seen about the movie revolved around the fact that the different storylines seemed to lead nowhere. But the whole point of the movie was to subvert expectations of what it means to be a Star Wars movie, and to flip the heroic saga on its head. It spells that out from the very first five minutes of the movie.

The Last Jedi is one of the better Star Wars movies, probably in the top 5. If you like Star Wars, go watch it.

Don’t forget that also Star Wars is for kids and shouldn’t be taken so seriously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Sit your ass down Steve.

veni veni veni posted:

It's not amazing but I thought it was a hell of a lot better than TLJ. It was at least entertaining instead of making me want to doze off.

The kid that plays Han Solo actually does a good job too. He was just doomed out of the gate, because the character is pretty much entirely defined by Harrison Ford. He got 1000% more crap about it than he deserved. No one could have filled that role and made people happy.

The problem is the trailers made his one liners look really bad, but in the context of the scenes they are in they actually were really well acted. He did a great job for having to go through the poo poo that production went through.

Also I’m excited to see what the other two trilogies announced do because they are suppose to have nothing to do with the current storyline.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Sit your ass down Steve.
The Leftovers is a prime example of a show being great until the end. Also an example of a show not airing too long.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Sit your ass down Steve.

veni veni veni posted:

I really don't get TV's obsession with novelty cakes.

i don't know why anyone needs any baking show besides the The Great British Baking Show.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Sit your ass down Steve.
The setpiece for Dredd is one of the best for an action movie ever.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Sit your ass down Steve.

veni veni veni posted:

Ahhh. I always thought that meant "game of all time" because I've only heard it to describe games haha.

Yeah man, you should really watch Sunshine.

It's used in sports as Greatest of All Time and yes Sunshine and 28 Days Later are amazing. I'm with you that the ending of Sunshine is perfectly fine.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Sit your ass down Steve.
So I started The Expanse a week ago and Season 1 and 2 were really good but holy poo poo I’m halfway through Season 3 and boy is it batshit crazy.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Sit your ass down Steve.

Unzip and Attack posted:

Season 3 was so loving good. The stakes get raised to insane levels and it just lands, every episode. I'm almost worried that season 4 won't be able to keep it going as well.

It’s been awhile since I have felt anxiety for characters like I did during Episode 5 and 6. I don’t want to say anything else but I was on the edge of my seat heart pounding during those two episodes specifically. I have no knowledge of anything from the books so I’m going in blind and I’m glad I did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Sit your ass down Steve.
The part that really pissed me off was when they keep doing actual good scientific testing that proves them wrong and they ignore it basically blaming the test and coming up with new ways of tweaking it to get the result they want. Just absolutely horrible scientific method.