Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Just Another Love Story
An incredible Danish neo-noir that I never see mentioned, but is my favorite Netflix stumbled upon movie. I think I've recommended this a bunch of times in the old thread too.

Also Starship Troopers just went up not long ago. Yeah the original, good one directed by Paul Verhoeven.

Some TV show recommendations:
Southcliffe
I'm really loving this trend of short, British, and incredibly depressing Netflix original series that are coming out. This one is set in a small English town and shows the aftermath of, and events leading up to, a spree shooting.

The Fall
Gillian Anderson and handsome, ruggedly creepy new face Jamie Dornan give incredible performances.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Going to recommend Southcliffe . It's about a spree shooting in a small English town (this isn't a spoiler), though most of the focus is on the aftermath and how people come to terms with everything that happens. It's got a great cast and the entire thing wraps up in 4 episodes, so definitely give the first episode a shot and see if it hooks you.
Yo, recommended this on the first page, I know nobody reads OPs/first pages but still, owned, nubs

But seriously it's really good, and a fantastic example of storytelling done completely through showing and not telling.

stickyfngrdboy posted:

Last time I looked I had the top rated comment on Netflix for this, and I only wrote it because every single review before mine was negative, and I didn't like that. Is a very good thing to watch.
That is criminal, and reinforces my habit of ignoring Netflix reviews. Except yours of course

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Whoah whoah whoah, what's with the X-Files poo poo talking earlier in this thread? What's going on in here guys :mad:

The X-Files is a Good Show, and it holds up very well. Is every single episode good, of course not, but put it up against any single camera non-sitcom that did 20+ episodes per season and it will more than stand its ground. And it's filled with amazing episodes, which people have been recommending for the last few pages.

The number of episodes does make it difficult to marathon watch, so not gonna argue there. That's the one aspect where the time period works against it, no one watched TV that way back then.

A couple more suggestions for good episodes that can be watched whenever, Musings of a Cigarette Smoking Man from Season 4 gets into William B. Davis' awesome character, and Unusual Suspects from Season 5 is the origins of the Lone Gunmen.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

forever whatever posted:

So that X-Files/COPS crossover in season 7 is a pretty dope standalone episode for anyone interested in standalone episodes. Cool to see that it was one of the Vince Gilligan ones.
I'd even say it would work really well as an introduction to the show, you get Mulder and Scully's dynamic, some paranormal creature of the week stuff, and it's really funny on top of all that.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Cognac McCarthy posted:

Mama is an interesting, disturbing, and genuinely sympathetic villain in a lot of ways, probably thanks to Lena Headey pretty much always playing that type of role really well. It could be that if they had a different actress it would've come across as much more misogynistic. In a similar vein does the original script have Judge Anderson turning the tables on Wood Harris when he fantasizes about hurting her? Because that owns and definitely lifts the movie above misogynistic right when you think it's going to go there.
Oh wow, I had no idea that was Lena Headey playing Mama. That explains why her character was so much better than you'd expect it to be. She's also the only reason to watch 300: Rise of an Empire (which doesn't seem to be streaming anywhere currently though).

But yeah I didn't see Dredd as particularly misogynistic, especially given the great scene you put in spoilers.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Eva Green is the only reason to watch 300 2
Oh poo poo, how did I get those two mixed up? Yeah I totally had Lena Headey confused with Eva Green for some reason.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

I didn't realize how many movies Nicolas Cage has been in in the past few years. Good lord, he really did have some bills that needed paying didn't he. Joe looks like an interesting departure from that run though, he's at least making a slightly different facial expression in the title image. Or maybe it's just the beard. Either way it's an improvement from the "somewhere between constipated and concerned about the IRS" that seems to be his new norm. Come on Nic, you're an award winning actor, you can still emote! The box art on some of these is like a parody at this point.

What the hell is even going on with Rage.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Is there a way to disable HD? I know there was one a while ago, but I can't find it and it would be handy when I'm trying to watch stuff on my lovely laptop.
You can hit Ctrl + Alt + Shift + S to bring up a menu while streaming something. It takes a few seconds to switch over, and you'll have to do it each time unfortunately.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Chichevache posted:

Spartacus had Shakespearean quality dialogue. :colbert:
JUPITER'S COCK

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

marktheando posted:

I pretty much just have Amazon for Vikings, I will no doubt cancel it when the current series finishes. But yeah it's not as good as Netflix, in terms of selection, and also the interface.
I started the Amazon Prime trial and got into this show, I really like it so far. It's something not really explored in movies or TV shows. Does it stay pretty good throughout the series?

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

NESguerilla posted:

What is the ad that's trying to copy the Harlem Shake fad? Twix maybe? Whatever it is I'm boycotting then for life .
I'll join this boycott if someone finds out.

Do obnoxious ads actually work in some way, overall? Like, the majority of people must just not care enough to have the kind of visceral, repulsed reaction you'd expect, or else big companies would go out of business all the time with the dumb poo poo they do.

I still refuse to buy or even look at anything to do with Old Navy, and this is based entirely on a particularly horrific TV campaign that has to have been over for at least several years. It's permanently burned into my brain as a negative association though.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Watch Harakiri. Although I'm biased because that's one of the few I've seen of that list. But it's REALLY good.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

True Detective 1 and 2 were both excellent in different ways. They felt so different though that there was really no connection other than name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Could I ask what you enjoyed so much about TD2?
It was one of the most riveting TV things I watched this year, it was something about the combination of noir, mystery series and cop drama blended into an element of weirdness that I can't quite put my finger on to describe very well. It also felt like all the actors were acting the poo poo out of their characters, to varying degrees of success, but not a single bit of it was uninteresting. Vince Vaughn was a standout, I legitimately loved his character and all the overwrought monologuing.

I guess that's the best way I could describe what I liked so much about it, it was just compulsively interesting. It's the kind of show where if it were on Netflix I'd have blown through it all in just a couple days.