Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
(Derail, I know, but...) What was the resolution? Did they go ahead and get married?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

nate fisher posted:

I watched Full Metal Jacket before I even thought about being a Marine, and many times during the 4 months I had to wait to go to Parris Island. I pretty much still laugh my rear end off watching the boot camp section of the movie. I went in the Marines for many reason, but to be clear people don't join the Marines to be a hero. It is filled with misfits who are just looking to belong to something, and what they find is what might be the greatest brotherhood ever in the Marines. Also to be clear on your one comment, Marines hate it when assholes (who usually are right wingers who never served) make anyone who joined the military into a hero just as much as we hate assholes who are anti-military.

Also who in the hell would ever think The Guest was pro-military or making a statement on anything? It was just fun bubble gum. Yes let's join the military so I can be like Michael Myers.

That said going by 80's movies, Platoon did a better job of being anti-war than Full Metal Jacket. Honestly I found the 'in country' parts of FMJ paled in comparison to what Platoon did. I am social liberal, and I am pretty much anti-war. Movies like Platoon, Born on the Fourth of July, Gardens of Stone, etc. did influence my feelings on war, but a bigger influence was books like The Naked and the Dead, Johnny Got His Gun, and All Quiet on the Western Front.

Edit: Also my son has watched FMJ a couple of times (he laughs also), and we just visited Parris Island last month (my first time since boot camp). He has zero plans to go into the military (he is 15), because we have taught him not to go, not because of a movie or book.

Edit: I just read your last comment, and while everything has it's bad seeds, I have never experienced that. Most Marine attitudes are gently caress War or gently caress the Suck. You either are wrong or are you hanging out with a bunch of psychos. Your statement I find pretty much stereotyping.

It's interesting that you mention Platoon, because Oliver Stone served in the military, and was trying to make an anti-war movie based on his experiences. Kubrick just liked war movies and war novels, and wanted to make his own commentary.

I live in a city with a large navy base. I worked for a school where 70% of the population were prior military (mostly army and marines, and then sailors; rarely air force). About half of my graduating class in high school and a lot of my friends joined the military for many reasons: they were misfits that felt like they didn't fit in; they couldn't afford college and were willing to spend 4 years in service and see active duty so they can get education (mostly) paid for; they wanted to leave their hometown; they have no other skills and feel military is the only career they can handle; they have a family and need the military benefits to provide a good life for them.

And then there are the people I've met that join the military for, what I would call, hosed up reasons. I met people who bragged about joining the military so they could legally kill. I met people who joined the military to fly drones because "it's cool to kill people like in a videogame". There ARE people that join the military so they can become heroes, because troops are put on pedestals. I have met people that went in the military for normal reasons, and then gained a blood lust for killing that never got wiped away when they came back to the states. I've met people who think that since they've taken lives, they don't have to answer to any authority anymore.

I live in the south, so more often than not, I'm dealing with people who freak out about the military like the troops are messiahs. And I had to deal with many students that felt they were entitled because of the fact that they signed up for the military and/or killed people. I also know that that's not everyone that joins the military.

I still stand by my views, but it's not like I insult people for joining the military. I considered the military for educational reasons. It can be a legitimate career, it can help a lot of people, but it still collects a lot of people for the wrong reasons. My point was that I can't imagine people watching the war movies I listed and getting inspired to join the military. I know it happens, but I was pointing out the fallacy and irony in this.

And I also think that R. Lee Ermey's scenes in FMJ are funny. I'm not a robot, I get dark comedy.

Back to the Netflix. I watched Creep, and while I liked Mark Duplass's performance, it was a boring movie.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I finished Bojack Horseman Season 2 last night and loved it. It takes some dark turns, but it ends on a bittersweet note, which is why I love the series. It's more satisfying than season 1, and I hope they can come back for more.

Now I'm on Wet Hot American Summer: First Day at Camp and it's wonderfully ridiculous.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I haven't seen it mentioned that The Skeleton Twins is on Netflix now.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
The Ice Harvest / A Simple Plan
Dog Tooth / We Are What We Are
Microcosmos / Samsara

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

Halloween III/Trick R Treat

I don't get this one at all?

Why not go with another horror anthology, like Creepshow (which also has a comic book style)?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Halloween III is a kid's version of Videodrome.

That would be a good double feature.

Also Night of the Creeps and Slither.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Counterpoint: Airheads and Gremlins 2

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

Halloween III's plot involves a company that manufactures Halloween masks for kids, its one of those movies that feels like it should actually be watched on Halloween night. I feel the same way about Trick R Treat, its all about Halloween traditions.

Fair enough! My go-to Watch on Halloween movies are the original Halloween and Hocus Pocus, maybe Rocky Horror.

Jiro Dreams of Sushi / Cutie & The Boxer
The Devil and Daniel Johnston / Frank
Wes Craven's New Nightmare / Videodrome
The Man Who Knew Too Little / Top Secret!
Barton Fink / Adaptation.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I guess it's time to go back and re-watch Halloween III again. I agree it's a shame that Carpenter's idea for an annual Halloween anthology got tarnished. I think the main flaw is, lack of advertising that that was the intention, and the fact that they made Halloween II a direct sequel instead of it's own story. It's not like it was a necessary continuation of the story anyway. I still want an annual Halloween anthology, though, and with True Detective and Fargo paving the way for that idea on television, I think the general public can handle that for a movie each October.

Back to double features: I've been lucky to see a double feature for Troll 2 / Best Worst Movie, which is always a treat.

The best double feature I've seen was Synecdoche, New York with The Master a few weeks after Philip Seymour Hoffman died. The proceeds went to one of his favorite charities. I had never seen either movie. It was a rough night.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

I can't even imagine.

I actually felt very anxious and shell shocked after Synecdoche, NY. I walked out of the theater and had a mild panic attack, smoked a cig and grabbed a beer before going into The Master. I'm glad they showed that one second.

I loved both, and I'd put Synecdoche, New York on my top 10 list.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Him singing at the end would probably do me in.

"I know what to do with this play now. I have an idea. I think..." :(

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

K. Waste posted:

Shivers and The Rocky Horror Picture Show

This is very good.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
El Topo / Eraserhead
Dazed and Confused / Ferris Bueller's Day Off
200 Motels / Head
Event Horizon / Galaxy of Terror
Rango / Chinatown

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Duck Soup / Dr. Strangelove would be fun as well.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

K. Waste posted:

Speaking of double features, I made my own and posted it to YouTube at an unlisted link.

It's a whole program with two sets of trailers, an intermission, and two features: Shivers and The Rocky Horror Picture Show, of course: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8v55ljHjawI

I guess I know what I'm watching tonight.

Another good double feature is Rocky Horror Picture Show and Frank Oz's Little Shop of Horrors.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

The_Rob posted:

Everyone just skip Rocky horror and go to Phantom of the paradise. It's better in every way.

While I'm not about to tout Rocky Horror as the end-all be-all, it's very good at what it is: a retelling of Adam & Eve with the serpent being replaced by Doctor Frankenstein, the fruit of the knowledge of good and evil as sexuality and sexual awakening, an homage to classic B-movies while being a B-Movie, all set to 50's-early 60's Rock and Roll. Even with the 2nd-half losing momentum, it just works.

That said, I've never even heard of Phantom of the Paradise, and must rectify that immediately.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

caligulamprey posted:

Can't Stop the Music.

The only PG movie that has topless women AND full frontal male nudity. In one song, no less!

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Well, O'Brian didn't write Rocky Horror in the traditional sense. He was tired and pissed off from Jesus Christ Superstar and wanted to write his own music, so he would just write different songs for fun: "Hot Patootie", "Science Fiction/ Double Feature", "Timewarp" "There's A Light", and then came up with a zany framework that would let him explore his interests: B-movies, Rock and Roll, Transvestism, Sexuality, and then re-worked the songs to fit together, then wrote more songs to add to the themes/story. It's a crazy way of writing a musical, but Rocky Horror, from it's inception, has a very rocky (heh) history. Again, it adds to my appreciation for the movie, because nothing about it should have worked, and yet it still a (rough) gem and a huge labor of love.

While it's not a perfect system, the songs you love from RHPS are most likely written before there was an idea to put them all together.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I've never seen Shock Treatment. Or even Purple Rain.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

The_Rob posted:

I think my real problem with Rocky Horror is that it is so front loaded. It is a blast for the first 40 minutes or so. The songs are good, it's dynamic and energetic. halfway through it just grinds to a halt and I find myself fast forwarding to get to the end.

While I agree with this 100%, the 2nd half still delivers "Eddie's Teddy', "The Floor Show Medley" (including Rose Tint My World, Wild & Untamed Thing, Don't Dream It Be It), and some of Tim Curry's most ridiculous overacting. So, while the pacing is problematic, it has enough to keep me having fun.

I'm not the biggest musical fan, either, so I'll have to track down all of the ones mentioned in this thread.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Magnus Gallant posted:

I'm looking for a comedy akin to hot rod or its always sunny. Is there anything similar to this on Netflix?

Top Secret!, Wet Hot American Summer, They Came Together, The Naked Gun, Tommy Boy, Detention, Team America

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Top Secret! is arguably the best one I mentioned. Enjoy!

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Adaptation. is probably my favorite movie and no one wants to watch it once they find out Nic Cage plays twins. People are on board with Spike Jonze, Charlie Kaufman, Chris Cooper and Meryl Streep, but once they hear that it's in a Cage, they always say no.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Loki_XLII posted:

Get better friends.

GET OFF OF THE FORUMS, DAD.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Wild At Heart is also fantastic. It's like David Lynch watched Raising Arizona, and said "I can do that", and then set the world on fire with nightmare fuel.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

computer parts posted:

Yeah, I seem to remember a major reason why Gary Oldman was in the Harry Potter movies was that no one would offer any other major roles for like 3 years.

That seems odd. The first two movies, while not great, were HUGELY successful, the books were already incredibly popular and hitting their peak, and the role he was being offered was pretty crucial in the series as a whole, and the movie he was being offered was directed by Alfonso Cuaron, who just became famous for Y Tu Mama Tambien. Why would he balk at that offer? Who would?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Well, Anthony Hopkins also regrets being in The Elephant Man, so the dude's weird about what roles he takes in my opinion.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
The role wasn't challenging enough for him and instead found it very mundane and boring. It may also have something to do with the character's moral compass: him being a "good" guy in the movie, but still taking advantage of The Elephant Man like other characters, but for good reasons. It's a very subtle character, and I think he wanted something more explosive. Like Hannibal Lecter.

Edit: I forget if I read it in interviews about making The Elephant Man, but it's probably on imdb and wikipedia as well. I don't know much about Hopkins, but I get the feeling working with David Lynch would piss him off too. He's pretty well known for giving acting prompts like "More air. More clouds. Less raindrops." and Hopkins doesn't seem like he has the patience. That's just my speculation, of course.

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Aug 19, 2015

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Stupid double post.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Jack Nicholson is the similar about any movie he's in. Not that he hates the movies themselves, but he can't stand to see his own acting, so he refuses to watch them, or the dailies, or anything.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
The best part of Nightcrawler's ending is that he's wearing the watch from the opening scene.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I completely forgot about Masters of Horror. While it was a huge hit or miss show, I loved it.

Argento's movies were great. So was "Cigarette Burns" and "The Black Cat".

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
The Blood Spattered Bride, while not a great movie, is an incredibly watchable movie. The whole thing feels like a fevered dream.

There's another movie on Netflix in the same vein, which is just as watchable, called Virgin Witch. While the name implies lots of sex, a large plot point is for the characters to maintain their virginity. There's a nudity, sure, but it's a weird story of a girl who goes to a modeling shoot only to find out it's a cover for a coven/cult to recruit a virgin for it's ceremony. Things don't go as planned, of course.

Edit: I'm not sure, but I think it's a French horror movie?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

The_Rob posted:

Are you really just sitting around waiting for the ultimate family dog movie?

Aren't we all?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Dog movies are weird. They can be incredibly profitable, critics can praise it, people will name their pets after the movie, and then they're quickly forgotten.

Does anyone actually remember My Dog Skip? Does anyone remember it was young Frankie Munez and Kevin Bacon? Or how popular Jack Russells became?

No. You probably don't.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Isn't there a rule for a dog movie to be good, the dog has to die? Even if it's by old age.

There's always this bizarre website:

https://www.doesthedogdie.com/

For some reason they don't mention a dog dying in An American Werewolf in London...

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
If anyone is a fan of the Eric Andre show, or Eric Andre in general, I recommend watching any live show of Getting Doug with High. The dude reacts to marijuana-induced paranoia by being hilarious. It's what made me a fan of him.

Also, super stoked about The Monster Squad. I've been intrigued since it was a movie of the month in CD, and I watched some of it at a friends house. Now I can watch and appreciate the full thing.

I'm hoping that more horror offerings will pop up near Halloween. Last year was lame, and some great movies have been coming out since then.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

dreadnought posted:

Yeah Netflix always loses a bunch of horror movies in October. I guess studios assume revoking the rights around Halloween will drive up DVD sales.

I know that's industry logic, but can anyone explain why the idea of making a month long contract to add horror movies during October is a bad idea?

Make the contract a little more expensive, offer it for just October (maybe bleed into late September, early November), and you're guaranteed that money instead of gambling on DVD sales. Which are, what? $5 a pop at Wal-Mart? How much money can they really make?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

coyo7e posted:

Frasier was a popular show for most of a decade before My Dog Skip came along. Jack Russels were really big before Frankie Muniz. If you wanted to use a better example you could name Milo and Otis as being responsible for pug popularity as some kind of desire to self-infantalize by buying a dog that reminds you of your childhood. Can't think of many movies or media with pugs in them before that.

Pugs became popular because of Men In Black. :colbert:

And while Frasier did have a Jack Russell for much longer, I know more people with Jack Russells named Skip than I do Eddie. But even so, the point is dog trends are oddly based around pop culture. I'm sure we will have a surge of German Shepards and dogs named Max now that we had a "kickin' rad patriotic soldier dog childhood action/adventure movie".