Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Spartacus is loving incredible. It's not as good as Rome, but it's so much more fun. Pretty much every actor is chewing scenery 24/7 and it's got enough blood sex and backstabbing to keep anyone entertained.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Marco Polo is a lot better than I was expecting.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
I don't know what kind of nerd poo poo you guys are discussing, but Mortal Kombat is up apparently. This movie is among the greatest works of art ever to be put to film. It's seriously exactly as good as I remember it being when I watched it way back when.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

I cant properly articulate how much i hate snowpiercer

loving trash

Can you believe how loving unrealistic that train was? What a pile of garbage, right?

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
I was pretty firmly in the camp that disliked Snowpiercer back when the thread was still arguing about it, but the movie has really grown on me after seeing it again. Whether you wind up liking or disliking it, it's definitely worth a watch if you haven't already seen it.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Nightcrawler is absolutely incredible. It was the most chilling and scary movie I've seen a long while, and it isn't even a horror film. Gyllenhaal is fantastic in it. The guy easily could have become a leading man actor in big blockbusters, but instead he goes for these juicy roles in smaller films, and I absolutely love him for it. The movie, along with Birdman and Blue Ruin made 2014 one of my absolute favorite years for movies.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
I should rephrase it. Instead of going for big roles in safe movies that will make a lot of money and not require a huge amount of range as an actor, which he could definitely get with how big his name is, he's going for smaller, more difficult roles like his one in Nightcrawler.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
I think about the only thing I disliked with Nightcrawler is the soundtrack. I'm pretty sure the dissonance between the uplifting and exciting score and the horror on screen was intentional, but I didn't really like the effect, and the music itself left something to be desired in a lot of places.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Antarctica: A Year On Ice is great and worth a watch. It's a good look at what happens day to day on an Antarctic base, and the part about antarctic winters is really loving cool. There's entire months of darkness out there that people live and work in and it's cool to see what that does to people.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Kung Fu Hustle is fantastic and you need to watch it if you haven't.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
The Great Escape is really good. Probably the best prison break movie I've ever seen. It holds up remarkably well.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Yeah, it was an interesting dynamic. The guards knew they were going to try and escape, but didn't really hold it against them. They just viewed it as fellow soldiers doing their duty.

It also makes the movie a hell of a lot more lighthearted, so it's not some heavy depressing film that's going to bring you down Like a lot of other war movies wind up being.

tweet my meat fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Jul 2, 2015

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Employee of the Month was about as dull and unfunny as I remember it being. That clubhouse they had up in the shelves was pretty sweet though, so there was at least one cool thing about it.

tweet my meat fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Jul 14, 2015

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

The Vosgian Beast posted:

This is literally the only thing I remember about that movie.

You aren't the first person I've heard that from, it's about the only memorable part of it.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Human Planet is pretty loving fantastic. If you like bbc documentaries in the style of Blue Planet/Planet Earth it's absolutely worth checking out. It's absolutely mindblowing how some of these people carve out a living.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Blue Ruin is still as wonderful as the first time I watched it. It's one of my favorite movies of 2014, which is pretty high praise considering what a good year it was for movies. It's a beautiful, low budget revenge movie that plays with a lot of the tropes of traditional revenge movies. The main character isn't some super spy Liam Neeson type, he's just a normal dude who tries to take revenge on the man who killed his parents, and he fails constantly in ways you would never see in you usual revenge flick.

It's low budget, but it's still beautifully shot, and the acting is superb with a couple exceptions. The lead actor in particular gives a wonderful performance, Macon Blair I believe his name was. One movie I would compare it to is No Country for Old Men, which has a similar tone and scope, and the action is similar as well in that tense, slow burn kind of way. Not everyone will love it, but I still think everyone should give it a watch at least once.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Hardware was a pretty interesting choice of movie to watch while tired and drunk. That poo poo was like a hellish fever dream.

Narcos was awesome. Netflix really puts out some amazing shows. Not on the level of some of HBO's best stuff, but easily on the level of a network like AMC.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Marco Polo was awesome. It isn't the greatest show ever, but it was a ton of fun and would probably scratch that same itch that GoT does.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
I liked the end because it made it feel like a big episode of Twilight Zone. The Mist even with all of it's problems is still one of my favorite horror movies ever.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Arrow is schlocky trash but is also fun and good. I've been binging it lately.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Just watched Human Centipede 3. I'm still not totally sure how I feel about it. About the one good thing I can say about it is that it feels like Tom Six made exactly the movie he wanted to make. Hats off to him for sticking to his vision I guess. It's an ok choice for a movie to throw on if you just want to watch a completely trash movie with some interesting gore that doesn't take itself too seriously. I don't recommend watching it sober, or at all in fact.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

precision posted:

Is it better than 2? Because Human Centipede 2 is one of the worst films I've ever watched to completion. It's up there with The Bunny Game.

It's complete trash, but it's pretty fun trash compared to the joyless slog that was 2. It's pretty much entirely comedy and even the gore is more laughably absurd than cringe inducing. It's a decent note for this terrible series to end on all things considered. Honestly, it's worth a watch if you like bad movies just for how earnestly and unabashedly awful it is.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Really? Because I found it to be a joyless slog in comparison to 2.

You found 2 less terrible than 3? At least 3 tried to have some fun with it even if it failed pretty miserably. 2 is a bit more technically competent in that it isn't filmed like some lovely soap opera but that's about the single good point I can think of in that depressing, boring pile of poo poo. I got at least a couple of amused chuckles out of how bizzare 3 could get with it's shotgun approach to offensive content.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Just watched Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy and holy gently caress was that refreshing after my Human Centepide trilogy marathon. If you like spy movies and haven't seen it you really owe it to yourself to watch it. It's a hard movie to follow because so many of the little details and plot threads are easy to miss if you aren't paying close attention, but it's extremely enjoyable trying to piece together the full picture as you watch along. The rewatch was just as enjoyable as the first time since I could pick up on so many of the things I missed the first watch.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

precision posted:

Oh my God. Human Centipede 3 is basically "Tommy Wiseau presents: Human Centipede 3". It may be the most pointlessly, stupidly vile film I have ever seen. If you thought 2 was bad, holy poo poo you ain't seen nothing yet.

But I mean, you should watch it because it's absolutely bonkers how terrible it is. Remember how good Dieter Lazer was in the first one? In the third one, he is as absolutely terrible as he was good in the first one. It is just baffling how this got made.

I honestly can't bring myself to hate the movie. There was no reason for it to get made, but part of me is glad it did. It's complete trash, and not in the campy fun way, but it's still worth a watch if you're interested in seeing just how low the bottom of the barrel can go.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

LORD OF BUTT posted:

This is unrelated to anything currently being discussed, but if anime is your thing, like, at all you should check out Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works on Netflix

The plot is pretty dumb (it does take some neat turns and the setting is ridiculously cool, but it's so laden down with Dumb Anime Bullshit that it ends up canceling out) but the plot is basically an excuse for people to beat/shoot/sword the poo poo out of each other, and the show delivers on that in spades

If you want to watch ancient heroes fighting each other in a big dumb anime battle royale, Fate Zero is a much better watch in my opinion. The pacing is a lot tighter, the fights are generally better, and the characters are a lot more interesting. UBW was adapted from a pretty slow burn visual novel and it really doesn't translate to a show format as well as Zero did. If you want to watch something decent don't watch anime.

I've been rewatching a lot of Star Trek:TNG lately and this show really isn't as good as I remembered. The 2 parter where Picard got Borged was pretty amazing though, are there any other episodes as good as those two?

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
The cosmic horror mystery type episodes of Star Trek TNG like that one about the crew trying to piece together the room they get teleported into and experimented on via the holodeck or that time loop one are pretty great. The show does a pretty great job of building a creepy atmosphere when it needs to.

tweet my meat fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Dec 14, 2015

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Is there one of those recommended viewing lists for Deep Space 9? The one someone posted for TNG is really making the experience a lot more enjoyable.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
iZombie is really fun if you want a super silly crime show about a zombie mortician who can have visions of a victims last moments by eating their brains.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Charlie Work really lived up to the hype. That was incredible.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
The Gang Beats Boggs and The Gang Group dates were both incredible. Is there a list of the best episodes in the show somewhere?

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Bone Tomahawk was some loving movie. It's a slow burn western/horror that builds up to a harrowing climax as a small posse from a frontier town set out into the wilderness on a rescue mission. It's filled with scenes of white knuckle tension and fantastic chemistry between the group of four as they descend into the proverbial heart of darkness. This is probably one of my favorite movies of 2015 just for how different it is.
Has anyone else seen it? Someone told me it had pretty mixed reviews and I'd be curious to hear from someone who wasn't enamored with the movie like I am.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Kurt Russel makes a hell of a cowboy in both movies, but Bone Tomahawk was the better film.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
I've been binging a lot of the Prime originals. Man in the High Castle is awesome. Mozart in the Jungle is hilarious. Mad Dogs is alright. If they can keep it up I could see them being a serious contender against Netflix in the original content department.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

neonnoodle posted:

Better Call Saul is so good. I was not expecting it to be so good.

The Mike episodes were as good as anything from breaking bad. I was pleasantly surprised by the show.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
11.22.63 is such an entertaining show. James Franco has to go back in time to save Kennedy from being assassinated. Franco has a lot of charisma and the period piece aspect of it is really interesting. This show is loving nuts.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Ran was really good. It's basically a feudal Japanese version of a Shakespeare play and it looks absolutely gorgeous. It's a bit on the long side, but definitely worth it. I watched it while multitasking and had no real trouble following along since most of the important characters either look ridiculous or are in helpfully color coded costumes.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Marco Polo season 2 is up. The first one was really fun with a fantastic cast of characters. They kinda pull the Netflix thing where they market a typical white protagonist and then have them take a backseat to an actually diverse and interesting cast of characters. If you're looking for exciting political intrigue in the Mongol Empire then look no further.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Watched The Big Short. Kinda felt like Spotlight mashed up with Wolf of Wall Street, for better or worse. I enjoyed it quite a bit overall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
The Limitless tv show is pretty great.